fordhamfans.com
August 20, 2017, 01:59:07 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Gallery Login Register  

MANNY SUAREZ 44

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: MANNY SUAREZ 44  (Read 3720 times)
Bay Ridge
Freshman

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 03, 2017, 12:32:57 pm »

I'll take D.C. over Omaha any day. Manny had a 3.5 index when he left , so academics are not an issue. We wish we were on a par with Georgetown.
Report Spam   Logged
ace93
Arbitrary and Capricious Administrator
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 03, 2017, 12:36:47 pm »

I'll take D.C. over Omaha any day. Manny had a 3.5 index when he left , so academics are not an issue. We wish we were on a par with Georgetown.

I do not think anyone said that academics were an issue. The fact that he had a 3.5 further proves that it was a basketball decision.
Report Spam   Logged

Nothing replaces success in the revenue sports.  Nothing.  That's not to take away from the success in the Olympic sports - they do matter.  It isn't a replacement for success in the flagship sports. - Debbie Yow, AD - NC State
Rich93
Class of 93
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 03, 2017, 12:54:22 pm »

I do not think anyone said that academics were an issue. The fact that he had a 3.5 further proves that it was a basketball decision.

Exactly.  Lets remember he left Fordham to go to Adelphi because he wanted to be assured playing time.  It was a purely basketball decision at that time, if academics mattered at all he stays and fights for playing time.  It is fair however to point out that maybe basketball is no longer at the top of his priority list.  Things change so maybe G-Town is the better choice if academics are a big part of the equation.  If however it is about basketball Creighton is a far superior program right now. 
Report Spam   Logged

WINNING MATTERS
PA Ram
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 03, 2017, 12:56:27 pm »

Either way, good for Manny
Report Spam   Logged
Rich93
Class of 93
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 03, 2017, 01:02:23 pm »

+1

Report Spam   Logged

WINNING MATTERS
ace93
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 03, 2017, 02:04:46 pm »

100% in agreement. I wish this young man well. If you look at the video on page one, he is a changed player. Look to have added on a good bit of bulk.
Report Spam   Logged

Nothing replaces success in the revenue sports.  Nothing.  That's not to take away from the success in the Olympic sports - they do matter.  It isn't a replacement for success in the flagship sports. - Debbie Yow, AD - NC State
An Old Coach
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 03, 2017, 02:44:13 pm »

Exactly.  Lets remember he left Fordham to go to Adelphi because he wanted to be assured playing time.  It was a purely basketball decision at that time, if academics mattered at all he stays and fights for playing time.  It is fair however to point out that maybe basketball is no longer at the top of his priority list.  Things change so maybe G-Town is the better choice if academics are a big part of the equation.  If however it is about basketball Creighton is a far superior program right now. 

I have to say the pictures are amazing.  I guess he found the weight room.

Can't ever go wrong with having a mention of georgetown on your resume, especially after basketball.  Their situation is similar to UConn's.  Former top programs trying to re-establish themselves and using transfers to do it.
Report Spam   Logged
Rich93
Class of 93
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 09, 2017, 12:44:07 pm »

Manny suarez to Creighton congratulations to Manny and Coach Duke this is a great accomplishment. 
Report Spam   Logged

WINNING MATTERS
greenwood
Sophomore

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 09, 2017, 12:50:36 pm »

Manny suarez to Creighton congratulations to Manny and Coach Duke this is a great accomplishment. 

+1, that is fantastic news and a testament to what hard work can do.
Report Spam   Logged
ace93
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 09, 2017, 01:20:14 pm »

+1, that is fantastic news and a testament to what hard work can do.

Agreed! Well done, Manny.
Report Spam   Logged

vinnys
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 09, 2017, 03:53:00 pm »

congrats and good luck    very good story    showed enough to me vs VCU to be allowed to compete for 2nd string slot vs Bunting but thats water under the bridge
Report Spam   Logged
Rich93
Class of 93
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 09, 2017, 04:04:58 pm »

congrats and good luck    very good story    showed enough to me vs VCU to be allowed to compete for 2nd string slot vs Bunting but thats water under the bridge

He was allowed to compete he chose to leave instead.  get the facts straight.
Report Spam   Logged

WINNING MATTERS
NYRam07
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 09, 2017, 04:21:07 pm »

He was allowed to compete he chose to leave instead.  get the facts straight.

more than likely falls somewhere inbetween your point and vinnys.
Report Spam   Logged
Rich93
Class of 93
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 09, 2017, 04:24:16 pm »

more than likely falls somewhere inbetween your point and vinnys.

No here is the fact from his mother: Manny was told he was starting the season behind sengfelder rhoomes canty bunting on the depth chart and he may not play. He was certainly allowed to come back and compete like anderson did but he was not guaranteed minutes.  Manny chose to leave instead of compete because he wanted to be guaranteed minutes and now he is going to Creighton which is great.  Those are the facts. 
Report Spam   Logged

WINNING MATTERS
drunkle
Sophomore

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 09, 2017, 04:25:18 pm »

Where did that VCU game come from?  He had one good rebounding game before that but other than that he came out of nowhere in that tournament game it seemed.  Apologies if this is old stuff but I wasn't around the board then.  
Report Spam   Logged
greenwood
Sophomore

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: May 09, 2017, 04:47:18 pm »

Where did that VCU game come from?  He had one good rebounding game before that but other than that he came out of nowhere in that tournament game it seemed.  Apologies if this is old stuff but I wasn't around the board then.  

Manny was long but not strong and preferred the perimeter to the post.  He wasn't a great rebounder for his height but was an above average shotblocker.  Before VCU he did almost nothing with the minutes he did get and was stapled to the bench for a spell.  After redshirting the year prior, he was clearly unhappy Sengfelder was starting over him and did not handle it productively.  His shot selection was abysmal though to me his stroke always looked good.  3 years later, much more emotional maturity + physical strength and confidence to succeed down low + maintaining shooting ability = Big East.
Report Spam   Logged
John
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 09, 2017, 04:59:34 pm »

Excellent, good work by Manny. Hope he has a good year. Enjoy Omaha. No, seriously!
Report Spam   Logged
NYRam07
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 09, 2017, 05:35:01 pm »

No here is the fact from his mother: Manny was told he was starting the season behind sengfelder rhoomes canty bunting on the depth chart and he may not play. He was certainly allowed to come back and compete like anderson did but he was not guaranteed minutes.  Manny chose to leave instead of compete because he wanted to be guaranteed minutes and now he is going to Creighton which is great.  Those are the facts. 

Rich... so you honestly believe JN wasn't trying to get him to leave so he could open up a roster spot? His mother also said how much they all loved Fordham and it was and extremely difficult decision to leave. I know you're on some Crusade right now to tear down anyone that questions Fordham or the direction of the team but let's not get crazy.

Report Spam   Logged
Rich93
Class of 93
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 09, 2017, 05:40:06 pm »

Rich... so you honestly believe JN wasn't trying to get him to leave so he could open up a roster spot? His mother also said how much they all loved Fordham and it was and extremely difficult decision to leave. I know you're on some Crusade right now to tear down anyone that questions Fordham or the direction of the team but let's not get crazy.

I am on a crusade against people making stuff up. There are plenty of legitimate issues but this is complete garbage.  Like every other new coach he met with Suarez told him his place on the depth chart going into the season.  Same meeting happened with Anderson. That is not trying to get someone to leave. Suarez could have stayed but he wanted guaranteed playing time so he left.  Those are the facts.  Accept it. 
Report Spam   Logged

WINNING MATTERS
NYRam07
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 09, 2017, 05:44:47 pm »

I am on a crusade against people making stuff up. There are plenty of legitimate issues but this is complete garbage.  Like every other new coach he met with Suarez told him his place on the depth chart going into the season.  Same meeting happened with Anderson. That is not trying to get someone to leave. Suarez could have stayed but he wanted guaranteed playing time so he left.  Those are the facts.  Accept it. 

Not going to accept anything. Your rock solid account of the private conversation Manny had with JN was a short post from the players mother. To accept that she laid it all of the details and the tone of the conversation is silly.  I'm not opposed to a coach encouraging a player to look elsewhere. It's part of the game unfortunately. I'm also not opposed to players transferring. That too is part of the game.
Report Spam   Logged
Rich93
Class of 93
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 09, 2017, 05:45:28 pm »

Not going to accept anything. Your rock solid account of the private conversation Manny had with JN was a short post from the players mother. To accept that she laid it all of the details and the tone of the conversation is silly.  I'm not opposed to a coach encouraging a player to look elsewhere. It's part of the game unfortunately. I'm also not opposed to players transferring. That too is part of the game.

His mother posted it.  Why is it so hard to accept?   He left because he wanted guaranteed playing time.
Report Spam   Logged

WINNING MATTERS
Vooter
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 09, 2017, 07:33:59 pm »

Very happy for Manny. Not happy at all that we weren't able to keep and develop a 6'10" guy who obviously had a lot of potential, especially since we had him in hand and we don't exactly have a tidal wave of 6'10" guys busting down the doors to play in the Rose Hill Gym. Yes, I know--hindsight is 20/20, but the whole thing is annoying...
Report Spam   Logged
joea
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 09, 2017, 08:04:17 pm »

It is possible for the coaches to make a mistake. Infallibility is at a premium these days.
Report Spam   Logged
RickFC77
Junior

Where was Lembo when I needed him?

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 09, 2017, 10:43:00 pm »

His mother posted it.  Why is it so hard to accept?   He left because he wanted guaranteed playing time.

What his mother posted and your strained interpretation of it along with your analysis of a conversation that you were not a part of are two different things.
Report Spam   Logged

“Hail men of Fordham hail."
Rich93
Class of 93
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 09, 2017, 11:09:28 pm »

This place is amazing.  The only strained interpretation are those ignoring what his mother clearly stated happened. We did not have to be there we were told exactly what was said. But if it makes you feel better to live in your fantasy world have at it. 

The important thing is that Manny is getting a shot to play at Creighton, he went from a guy who could not crack the rotation on a 20 loss team to playing DII getting his head straight and now is going to Creighton. 
Report Spam   Logged

WINNING MATTERS
Scott W 86
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 10, 2017, 10:13:22 am »

It's possible to respect JN's work without saluting every decision he's made.  In the Suarez case, I think it was not JN's best decision.

- At the time, I bet JN thought it would be easier to fill that scholarship slot..welcome to FU MBB Jeff.  Nothing comes easy as you've learned since your first days.
- being on the depth chart means you are competing for time. Tough, sure.
- when did guaranteed minutes become an entitlement?
- a mother is a son's biggest advocate; rarely is she close to being an unbiased source

I think we whiffed on this decision.  It was early, no one knew how it would unfold.

It's a great story if you just focus on the young man.

The best coaches and GMs all have their "yeah, I did trade Babe Ruth" examples.

Nothing good comes from relitigating this old story.  Best wishes to the young man
Report Spam   Logged
ace93
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 10, 2017, 10:28:10 am »

It's possible to respect JN's work without saluting every decision he's made.  In the Suarez case, I think it was not JN's best decision.

- At the time, I bet JN thought it would be easier to fill that scholarship slot..welcome to FU MBB Jeff.  Nothing comes easy as you've learned since your first days.
- being on the depth chart means you are competing for time. Tough, sure.
- when did guaranteed minutes become an entitlement?
- a mother is a son's biggest advocate; rarely is she close to being an unbiased source

I think we whiffed on this decision.  It was early, no one knew how it would unfold.

It's a great story if you just focus on the young man.

The best coaches and GMs all have their "yeah, I did trade Babe Ruth" examples.

Nothing good comes from relitigating this old story.  Best wishes to the young man

LOL. You throw out your opinion and then at the end say that nothing good comes from relitigating this old story, yet that is what you just did.
Report Spam   Logged

Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 10, 2017, 10:55:01 am »

I was advocating bringing him back for a 5th year. guess it wasnt such a crazy idea.  Either way, he is bulked up, a good student, best of luck to him and Mapi in the heatland!
Report Spam   Logged
SIram
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 10, 2017, 11:13:32 am »

Good luck Manny
Report Spam   Logged
Scott W 86
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 10, 2017, 12:28:01 pm »

LOL. You throw out your opinion and then at the end say that nothing good comes from relitigating this old story, yet that is what you just did.

I thought your point was fair Ace.....  but I'm advocating we take heat off of both JN and Manny.  Everybody involved is moving on... I hope Manny thrives, and obviously the vast majority of us want JN to do well.  That's more of a settlement proposal than it is litigation  Wink
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: