fordhamfans.com
May 23, 2017, 08:21:49 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Gallery Login Register  

P. Odom - Pro Day/NFL Draft Outlook

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: P. Odom - Pro Day/NFL Draft Outlook  (Read 4121 times)
fordham81
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: May 03, 2017, 01:47:41 pm »

Found this today......

http://www.foxsports.com/college-football/story/most-surprising-unsigned-fcs-players-050317
Report Spam   Logged
Ram-Spouse
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 05, 2017, 01:18:37 am »

Unfortunately his lackluster Pro/Local days with the Jets and Giants got the best of him.  Word travels quickly.  Hopefully there is a happy ending with Odom's NFL story.
Report Spam   Logged
Ram1
Waterboy

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 05, 2017, 04:41:19 pm »

Unfortunately his lackluster Pro/Local days with the Jets and Giants got the best of him.  Word travels quickly.  Hopefully there is a happy ending with Odom's NFL story.

what?
Report Spam   Logged
Ram1
Waterboy

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 05, 2017, 04:43:41 pm »

also- pretlow is not among SF's signings.  Was this an invite to camp on a non-roster basis?
Report Spam   Logged
joeb
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 05, 2017, 05:03:40 pm »

also- pretlow is not among SF's signings.  Was this an invite to camp on a non-roster basis?
It's a pretty large tryout
Report Spam   Logged
rambacker
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 06, 2017, 01:45:57 pm »

Phazahn Odom will be heading to the Pittsburgh Steelers.
Report Spam   Logged
shortshot
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 06, 2017, 02:29:16 pm »

Phazahn Odom will be heading to the Pittsburgh Steelers.
Congrats Phazahn. Good luck with the Steelers.
Report Spam   Logged
Touchdown17
Sophomore

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 06, 2017, 03:19:34 pm »

thanks for the heads up. This is what i could find.

Christian Shanafelt
@ChrisShanafelt
May 5
Former Fordham TE Phazahn Odom (6'7, 251lbs.) will be taking part in #Steelers rookie mini-camp.

Good Luck P ! ..

The below article is a year old  (found it while searching for his Steeler news)
http://lockerroomupdate.com/2016/06/lru-spotlight-interview-with-2017-nfl-draft-prospect-phazahn-odom/
Report Spam   Logged
An Old Coach
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 07, 2017, 08:46:40 am »

Any idea if they'll use him at TE or move him outside?
Report Spam   Logged
dajr
Freshman

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 09, 2017, 02:13:53 pm »

Pittsburgh Steelers rookie minicamp: 5 relatively unknown players to know
Updated May 09, 2017
Posted May 09, 2017
shares
0 Comment

Each year the Pittsburgh Steelers' rookie minicamp tends to yield the signing of a couple tryout players and the roster prospects of several more players who are unproven, unheralded or both. Going into the first Steelers camp of this year, we take a look at six players you may not know who could fit that bill.
*Tryout

Phazahn Odom, TE, Fordham*

The tight end position is cloudier than any other for the Steelers. They didn't draft reinforcements in the spot where Jesse James played most of the season as the starter and where Ladarius Green finished the year ineligible in concussion protocol. Odom, a 6-foot-8, 251-pound, FCS standout will get a chance to show off in shorts. Keep in mind that Pittsburgh has taken chances on and even played low-profile tight ends in recent years.

One of them, Xavier Grimble, made the first 53-man roster of his NFL career last year as a Steeler.

Follow
 Dan Serafin ✔ @DanSerafin
TE Phazahn Odom ( @SwaePhae ) of @FordhamRams has confirmed to @News12BX he will be attending Rookie Camp with @steelers #NFL
5:16 PM - 4 May 2017
  15 15 Retweets   19 19 likes
Report Spam   Logged
Touchdown17
Sophomore

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 14, 2017, 06:58:56 pm »

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2017/05/report-steelers-sign-te-phazahn-odom/

The Pittsburgh Steelers have signed one tryout player coming out of their rookie minicamp, inking tight end Phazahn Odom, according to the Houston Chronicle’s Aaron Wilson.     Bamn!   Congrats P !

Aaron Wilson  ✔@AaronWilson_NFL
Steelers signed former Fordham tight end Phazahn Odom following their rookie minicamp, according to a source
2:18 PM - 14 May 2017
   32 32 Retweets   43 43 likes

Odom was one of the top players from the tryout bunch and is an interesting size player at 6’8 250 pounds. He ran a 4.79 at his Pro Day. Odom, out of Fordham, had a down senior season but caught seven touchdowns as a junior, setting a school record by a tight end.

He’ll compete with David Johnson, Xavier Grimble, and if he hasn’t been cut, UDFA Scott Orndoff.

The Steelers will have to release one player to get back to the 90 man roster. We’ll update this article when that move is announced.

Pittsburgh signed four tryout players a year ago and one of them – Marcus Tucker – is still on the roster.
Report Spam   Logged
Ram-Spouse
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 15, 2017, 10:04:59 am »

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2017/05/report-steelers-sign-te-phazahn-odom/

The Pittsburgh Steelers have signed one tryout player coming out of their rookie minicamp, inking tight end Phazahn Odom, according to the Houston Chronicle’s Aaron Wilson.     Bamn!   Congrats P !

Aaron Wilson  ✔@AaronWilson_NFL
Steelers signed former Fordham tight end Phazahn Odom following their rookie minicamp, according to a source
2:18 PM - 14 May 2017
   32 32 Retweets   43 43 likes

Odom was one of the top players from the tryout bunch and is an interesting size player at 6’8 250 pounds. He ran a 4.79 at his Pro Day. Odom, out of Fordham, had a down senior season but caught seven touchdowns as a junior, setting a school record by a tight end.

He’ll compete with David Johnson, Xavier Grimble, and if he hasn’t been cut, UDFA Scott Orndoff.

The Steelers will have to release one player to get back to the 90 man roster. We’ll update this article when that move is announced.

Pittsburgh signed four tryout players a year ago and one of them – Marcus Tucker – is still on the roster.

Congrats to Odom for this accomplishment.  This is great news for him.  Tomlin loves height and athleticism.  I sense from the couple of guys that I have spoken to that Tomlin makes Odom his "project" and that there is a good chance he makes the practice squad this year and they try to put 50-75 pounds on him over the course of the next year.  This way it gives them options for him.
Report Spam   Logged
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 15, 2017, 11:11:44 am »

Congrats to Odom for this accomplishment.  This is great news for him.  Tomlin loves height and athleticism.  I sense from the couple of guys that I have spoken to that Tomlin makes Odom his "project" and that there is a good chance he makes the practice squad this year and they try to put 50-75 pounds on him over the course of the next year.  This way it gives them options for him.

So they're going to get him up to 325 lbs and what?  Move him to offensive tackle?   Huh?
Report Spam   Logged
JimboCBA72
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 15, 2017, 11:44:16 am »

Their starting RT Villanueva was aTE at West Point so there's precedent. But I'm still not sure PO has the makeup required to be a consistently good blocker. Hope he proves me wrong and has a long, prosperous NFL career
Report Spam   Logged
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: May 15, 2017, 11:59:55 am »

Their starting RT Villanueva was aTE at West Point so there's precedent. But I'm still not sure PO has the makeup required to be a consistently good blocker. Hope he proves me wrong and has a long, prosperous NFL career

Interesting. I don't know Villanueva's Army football career but I'm guessing (because of Army's offense) that he was more of a blocker than a receiver at TE.  I never thought of Odom as a particularly good blocker.  Seems like his best asset is size and speed as a receiver.

Anyway, I hope he sticks and get a chance to play on Sundays (or Mondays, or Thursdays . . .).
Report Spam   Logged
RamAlum13
Freshman

lord i was born a ramblin man

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: May 15, 2017, 02:03:04 pm »

So they're going to get him up to 325 lbs and what?  Move him to offensive tackle?   Huh?

Defensive end
Report Spam   Logged
PA Ram
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: May 16, 2017, 08:11:16 am »

Just glad he's getting a shot and that it sounds like they may be patient with him (to the extent that NFL teams ever have patience).  I agree that blocking was not his forte but he definitely showed improvement as a blocker last year so at least it shows he's willing and able to improve there. 
Report Spam   Logged
Ram-Spouse
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: May 16, 2017, 08:30:24 am »

He was a Wide Receiver first at West Point, not a TE.
Report Spam   Logged
Ram-Spouse
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: May 16, 2017, 08:31:26 am »

Maybe, or Def Line
Report Spam   Logged
Ram-Spouse
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: May 16, 2017, 08:33:39 am »

Just glad he's getting a shot and that it sounds like they may be patient with him (to the extent that NFL teams ever have patience).  I agree that blocking was not his forte but he definitely showed improvement as a blocker last year so at least it shows he's willing and able to improve there. 

Tomlin is the most patient coach in the most patient organization with a long term focus in the NFL.  This is a perfect fit for Odom.
Report Spam   Logged
JimboCBA72
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: May 16, 2017, 11:38:27 am »

Stand corrected but essential point remains.

Though Villanueva played WR his last year, he was converted to OT near the end of his Sophomore yr and started every game there as a Jr   Probably explains why he has had success at OT as a pro and why I don't see PO making a similarly successful transition. JMO
Report Spam   Logged
An Old Coach
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: May 16, 2017, 12:07:15 pm »

He played WR as a senior.  It was his fourth position.
Report Spam   Logged
RamAlum13
Freshman

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: May 16, 2017, 12:41:42 pm »

Villanueva also was playing on the D-Line for a while post college - he is one of the banner examples of a "project player" working out. PO's measurables got him in the door....now he needs to ball out.
Report Spam   Logged
Ram-Spouse
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: May 16, 2017, 01:28:22 pm »

Tomlin is making Odom his project.  With that being said, it is highly likely it will be for a position other than TE from what I have been told.
Report Spam   Logged
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: May 18, 2017, 04:57:56 pm »

Interestingly enough, the Steelers just cut TE Ladarius Green, so maybe getting a look at TE is in the offing . . .

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/steelers-dump-ladarius-green-one-year-after-giving-him-20-million-free-agent-deal/
« Last Edit: May 19, 2017, 01:29:06 pm by 71 » Report Spam   Logged
RamAlum13
Freshman

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: May 19, 2017, 01:23:19 pm »

Interestingly enough, the Steelers just cut TE Ladarius Green, so maybe getting a look at TE is in the offing . . .

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000809728/article/pittsburgh-steelers-cut-tight-end-ladarius-green

Is anyone else getting redirected to different websites?
Report Spam   Logged
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: May 19, 2017, 01:31:08 pm »

Is anyone else getting redirected to different websites?

Yeah, I don't know what that's about. I changed the link to a CBS story.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/steelers-dump-ladarius-green-one-year-after-giving-him-20-million-free-agent-deal/

In none of the coverage I read was Odom mentioned, but he has a chance, that's what OTA's are for.
Report Spam   Logged
Scott W 86
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: May 19, 2017, 06:36:02 pm »

Tomlin is making Odom his project.  With that being said, it is highly likely it will be for a position other than TE from what I have been told.

As long as the Steelers employ a team optometrist. ...our guy is set to do great things  Grin
Report Spam   Logged
dajr
Freshman

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: Yesterday at 03:46:24 pm »

http://www.steelcityunderground.com/2017/05/22/phazahn-odom-ready-close/

Interview
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: