fordhamfans.com
September 19, 2017, 09:41:24 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Gallery Login Register  

P. Odom - Pro Day/NFL Draft Outlook

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: P. Odom - Pro Day/NFL Draft Outlook  (Read 6013 times)
rambacker
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: August 31, 2017, 02:46:50 pm »

deflection......

Ignoring an inane question.
Report Spam   Logged
Ram-Spouse
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: August 31, 2017, 03:01:52 pm »

Ignoring an inane question.

Head in the sand......rose colored glasses require a response.
Report Spam   Logged
An Old Coach
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: August 31, 2017, 03:21:50 pm »

I'm surprised we haven't had more guys end up in the CFL. Tad Kornegay had an incredible CFL career with multiple championships. I'm sure he'd tell you its a great way to make a living.

CFL is a different game.  Transition isn't that easy.  A lot of American players are seen as stealing jobs.   I've known guys who tried it and guys who coached there.  I'm not sure if it still applies but once upon a time there was a roster cap on American players.
Report Spam   Logged
Touchdown17
Sophomore

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: August 31, 2017, 03:36:18 pm »

After the draft, Odom's agent said 5 or 6 teams tried to sign him as an undrafted free agent.   I still think there is a reasonable chance he will get a look /feel with a another NFL team this year as PS player.  Whether he can stick around is another story.   
Report Spam   Logged
JimboCBA72
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: August 31, 2017, 04:18:27 pm »

I'm surprised we haven't had more guys end up in the CFL. Tad Kornegay had an incredible CFL career with multiple championships. I'm sure he'd tell you its a great way to make a living.

And Justin Vaughn was drafted in 5th rd by Hamilton, Kornegay's original team
Report Spam   Logged
NYRam07
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #125 on: August 31, 2017, 04:47:11 pm »

And Justin Vaughn was drafted in 5th rd by Hamilton, Kornegay's original team
That's great. hadn't heard that before. Did he make the team?
Report Spam   Logged
JimboCBA72
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: August 31, 2017, 05:04:23 pm »

I don't know.
Report Spam   Logged
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: August 31, 2017, 05:12:40 pm »

Odom displayed enough to college to get an invite to camp AND to make it through the 3rd week of the preseason, basically right up to final cuts. Generally speaking, the CFL is a lower class of talent. I don't know if he's good enough to play in the CFL, but I think he's probably good enough to get some tryouts or to get a look by some of the organizations up there.

The "stone hands" stuff was overblown. From what I can recall, he didn't drop a single ball during his Pro-day and looked very impressive. Fairly certain he owns all of Fordham TE single season receiving/td records. He has the talent.

His senior year was not good, but it was fairly obvious that the offensive philosophy shifted under AB.

It's not crazy to think he'd get a look in Canada.

He did not catch the ball well in training camp.

07, as regards the CFL your comment "a great way to make a living" got me to thinking.  Is it really?  I read where the average salary is south of 100 grand.  In this age of concussion awareness, I can see where  guys coming out a good school like Fordham with a degree would decide "I had a great run with football in HS and college. I'm probably not making it in the NFL. I've got my wits about me. I going to get on with my life."
Report Spam   Logged
NewGuy76
Waterboy

View Profile
« Reply #128 on: September 04, 2017, 10:48:56 am »

He did not catch the ball well in training camp.

07, as regards the CFL your comment "a great way to make a living" got me to thinking.  Is it really?  I read where the average salary is south of 100 grand.  In this age of concussion awareness, I can see where  guys coming out a good school like Fordham with a degree would decide "I had a great run with football in HS and college. I'm probably not making it in the NFL. I've got my wits about me. I going to get on with my life."

Where did you read that he did not catch the ball well in training camp?  Or are you just assuming?
Report Spam   Logged
Ram-Spouse
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: September 04, 2017, 11:49:12 am »

Where did you read that he did not catch the ball well in training camp?  Or are you just assuming?

http://www.pennlive.com/steelers/index.ssf/2017/08/steelers_1st_cuts_phazahn_odom.html
Report Spam   Logged
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: September 05, 2017, 02:30:39 pm »

From a blog called "Steelers Depot" . . .

– Incredible we also have the two lowest catch rates of any player we’ve charted. Darrius Heyward-Bey is by far the lowest, catching just above 25% of his passes. And Phazahn Odom at 34.8%. Both best Marcus Tucker’s low of 36.8% last year.

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2017/08/steelers-training-camp-statistical-recap-16-practices/
Report Spam   Logged
Ram-Spouse
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: September 05, 2017, 07:14:30 pm »

From a blog called "Steelers Depot" . . .

– Incredible we also have the two lowest catch rates of any player we’ve charted. Darrius Heyward-Bey is by far the lowest, catching just above 25% of his passes. And Phazahn Odom at 34.8%. Both best Marcus Tucker’s low of 36.8% last year.

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2017/08/steelers-training-camp-statistical-recap-16-practices/

But yet I am the no-nothing bad guy who pointed this out
Report Spam   Logged
NewGuy76
Waterboy

View Profile
« Reply #132 on: September 16, 2017, 04:56:36 pm »

That doesn't mean he isn't catching well. It also states that its targets not drops. Those could be over thrown or broken up. It states that he only had two drops.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: