fordhamfans.com
August 20, 2017, 01:58:17 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Gallery Login Register  

Fordham’s Joseph Chartouny to Declare for NBA Draft

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fordham’s Joseph Chartouny to Declare for NBA Draft  (Read 4356 times)
dadas2002
Waterboy

View Profile
« on: March 29, 2017, 02:12:10 pm »

http://www.fordhamsports.com/news/2017/3/29/mens-basketball-fordhams-joseph-chartouny-to-declare-for-nba-draft.aspx

Bronx, N.Y. – Fordham University sophomore guard Joseph Chartouny announced today that he will declare for the 2017 NBA Draft. However, he will not sign with an agent, allowing him to return to Fordham if he withdraws by the May 24 deadline.

Chartouny just completed his sophomore season at Fordham, averaging 12.1 ppg, second on the team, and 4.1 rpg in 29 games. The 2016-17 Preseason All-Atlantic 10 (Third Team) selection set the school single season steals record with 94 this winter (former mark was 78) and he led the Atlantic 10 and is third in the NCAA in steals/game (3.24) and fifth in the nation in total steals.

Chartouny, who was named to the 2017 Atlantic 10 All-Academic Team, also finished the season ranked third in the in Atlantic 10 with 144 assists (5.0/game), 56th overall in the NCAA.

The 2016 Atlantic 10 Rookie of the Year, Chartouny averaged 11.3 ppg, 5.3 rpg and 6.2 assists/game. He led the Atlantic 10, and was 20th in the NCAA, in assists/game while he also led the conference in steals/game (2.2), ranking 16th in the NCAA, and was seventh in assist/turnover ratio (2.1). His 161 assists on the season is a Fordham freshman record, tied for fifth all-time for a Ram in a season, while his 6.2 apg average led all NCAA Division I freshmen.
Report Spam   Logged

Social Buttons

SIram
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2017, 02:23:42 pm »

Note the part where he says he will not hire an agent, allowing him the chance to return to school

He could be just testing the waters or looking for a job overseas

Seems like he is leaving but there is some chance he can return

I don't see him being drafted by an NBA team, even getting a look as a roster invitee or the D League will be tough

« Last Edit: March 29, 2017, 03:39:48 pm by SIram » Report Spam   Logged
joeb
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2017, 02:28:45 pm »

And the hits keep coming. I think he's auditioning for overseas
Report Spam   Logged
LXRF
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2017, 02:30:32 pm »

http://www.fordhamsports.com/news/2017/3/29/mens-basketball-fordhams-joseph-chartouny-to-declare-for-nba-draft.aspx

Bronx, N.Y. – Fordham University sophomore guard Joseph Chartouny announced today that he will declare for the 2017 NBA Draft. However, he will not sign with an agent, allowing him to return to Fordham if he withdraws by the May 24 deadline.

Chartouny just completed his sophomore season at Fordham, averaging 12.1 ppg, second on the team, and 4.1 rpg in 29 games. The 2016-17 Preseason All-Atlantic 10 (Third Team) selection set the school single season steals record with 94 this winter (former mark was 78) and he led the Atlantic 10 and is third in the NCAA in steals/game (3.24) and fifth in the nation in total steals.

Chartouny, who was named to the 2017 Atlantic 10 All-Academic Team, also finished the season ranked third in the in Atlantic 10 with 144 assists (5.0/game), 56th overall in the NCAA.

The 2016 Atlantic 10 Rookie of the Year, Chartouny averaged 11.3 ppg, 5.3 rpg and 6.2 assists/game. He led the Atlantic 10, and was 20th in the NCAA, in assists/game while he also led the conference in steals/game (2.2), ranking 16th in the NCAA, and was seventh in assist/turnover ratio (2.1). His 161 assists on the season is a Fordham freshman record, tied for fifth all-time for a Ram in a season, while his 6.2 apg average led all NCAA Division I freshmen.

Notice the new posters breathlessly posting what may be bad news for the Rams. Amazing that for a team that has achieved so little success on the court for many years, there are so many long knives out there ready to plunge into its heart. What a world!
Report Spam   Logged
Rich93
Class of 93
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2017, 02:32:01 pm »

Great news he is not transferring.  See him in the fall. 
Report Spam   Logged

WINNING MATTERS
Vooter
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2017, 02:40:27 pm »

From what I've just read, NBA draft rules as they pertain to college eligibility have been greatly loosened in recent years. Not signing with an agent, as the story mentioned, has been in place for a while as one way to retain one's college eligibility while testing the NBA waters. But today, "early entry" players (and I think that JC (even though he's 22) falls under that heading, because he hasn't (as far as I know) completed his four years of eligibility) can get themselves in front of NBA teams without losing eligibility pretty easily:

<<Players who are not automatically eligible but wish to be drafted must declare their eligibility no later than 60 days before the draft. After this date, "early entry" players may attend NBA pre-draft camps and individual team workouts to show off their skills and obtain feedback regarding their draft positions. Under the CBA, a player may withdraw his name from consideration from the draft at any time before the final declaration date, which is 10 days before the draft. However, the NCAA adopted a rule that took effect in August 2009 that requires players at its member institutions to withdraw no later than May 8 to retain their college eligibility; the first draft affected by this rule was the 2010 draft.>>

So I'm assuming (although, to be honest, I don't really care at this point) that he's trying to get a feel for how his skills stack up at the NBA level, and that he'll return to FU in the fall. But of course, I could be completely wrong...
Report Spam   Logged
Rich93
Class of 93
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2017, 02:47:12 pm »

I think you go it Vooter.  Note that only 60 players get invited to the combine and over 200 kids declare for the draft.  There are 2 rounds in the NBA draft, that means 60 players get drafted.  Let me say this again in case it did not sink in: over 200 players declare 60 get invited to the combine and only 60 get drafted.  Either he will be overseas playing pro ball or at Rose Hill next year.  If he was going pro overseas he likely would have said so already but you never know. 
Report Spam   Logged

WINNING MATTERS
Madram
Freshman

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2017, 02:48:01 pm »

Notice the new posters breathlessly posting what may be bad news for the Rams. Amazing that for a team that has achieved so little success on the court for many years, there are so many long knives out there ready to plunge into its heart. What a world!

Are you serious? This is actual news and important news, nothing to do with grudges or people with ill intent..are you upset that someone posted this ? .. you're a moron , go away and tell Kim Jong UN I say hello since you are trying to control what news should and should not be shared. Only rainbows and butterflies for you
Report Spam   Logged
NYRam07
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2017, 02:51:55 pm »

Are you serious? This is actual news and important news, nothing to do with grudges or people with ill intent..are you upset that someone posted this ? .. you're a moron , go away and tell Kim Jong UN I say hello since you are trying to control what news should and should not be shared. Only rainbows and butterflies for you

Report Spam   Logged
fholbr
Freshman

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2017, 03:02:26 pm »

This is a little strange. JC had a decent year but he was not considered in the top group of A10 players.
JC looks like a very good student - why would he consider forgoing his degree? Many believe he could probably graduate after next season. I would think he knows that he knows that he is not in the top 60 players for the draft.  Is he looking to send a message to International leagues?  I hope the wheels are not coming off this program again!
Report Spam   Logged
LXRF
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2017, 03:03:25 pm »

I just spoke with Kim, he said you are one of his closest friends.   Evil
Report Spam   Logged
vinnys
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2017, 03:06:56 pm »

I am getting afraid to login..  This one is a stunner     don't watch much NBA but never viewed JC at that level    Europe / Asia / D League / 1 or 2 more years at Fordham   
Report Spam   Logged
floridaram94
Freshman

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2017, 03:14:13 pm »

Saw this on Facebook earlier and thought it was an April Fools joke. Staying a year and being healthy could do wonders for him. I'm glad he didn't get an agent. Would love to see him back next year at Fordham. We need him!
Report Spam   Logged
ace93
Arbitrary and Capricious Administrator
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2017, 03:14:56 pm »

I am getting afraid to login..  This one is a stunner     don't watch much NBA but never viewed JC at that level    Europe / Asia / D League / 1 or 2 more years at Fordham  

Not even D-League. That league is mostly for players who teams feel have a shot to make the NBA. As our former coach Bob Hill said about Pepe Sanchez, "who is he going to guard?"
Report Spam   Logged

Nothing replaces success in the revenue sports.  Nothing.  That's not to take away from the success in the Olympic sports - they do matter.  It isn't a replacement for success in the flagship sports. - Debbie Yow, AD - NC State
PeterMartin08
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2017, 03:17:57 pm »

Not even D-League. That league is mostly for players who teams feel have a shot to make the NBA. As our former coach Bob Hill said about Pepe Sanchez, "who is he going to guard?"

D-League pays less than the mail assistant in your office. NBA/D-League is not in his future.
Report Spam   Logged

Any other team wins the World Series, good for them. They're drinking champagne, they get a ring. But if we win, on our budget, with this team... we'll have changed the game. And that's what I want. I want it to mean something. - Moneyball
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2017, 03:26:17 pm »

He could guard Chartouny.
Report Spam   Logged
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2017, 03:30:20 pm »

Query: If he decides to withdraw then he can come back.  Does this give Fordham any recourse to just cut ties?  Just curious.
Report Spam   Logged
kidfromny
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2017, 03:40:19 pm »

This is a little strange. JC had a decent year but he was not considered in the top group of A10 players.
JC looks like a very good student - why would he consider forgoing his degree? Many believe he could probably graduate after next season. I would think he knows that he knows that he is not in the top 60 players for the draft.  Is he looking to send a message to International leagues?  I hope the wheels are not coming off this program again!

Writing's on the wall here. Can't treat your players like an a*****e. With that said, I hope he stays.
Report Spam   Logged
Rich93
Class of 93
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2017, 03:46:10 pm »

Writing's on the wall here. Can't treat your players like an a*****e. With that said, I hope he stays.

or these players were recruited by a guy who was more interested in being their friend as opposed to coach and they need to sack up.  It is undeniable that all these guys are better players under Neubauer than Pecora.  That is his job, make them better players and he is accomplishing that. 
Report Spam   Logged

WINNING MATTERS
Madram
Freshman

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2017, 03:50:38 pm »

He could guard Chartouny.

Dude .. that is funny ... comment of the day !
Report Spam   Logged
Bay Ridge
Freshman

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2017, 03:53:59 pm »

There is more here than meets the eye. You don't do something like this lightly. Unfortunately , for the program , he wants out
Report Spam   Logged
joeb
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2017, 03:56:28 pm »

Half the draft are feom overseqs and not US college players so I think this a showcase for Europe.
Report Spam   Logged
Fordham Road
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2017, 03:56:43 pm »

There is more here than meets the eye. You don't do something like this lightly. Unfortunately , for the program , he wants out

Excited to watch him air ball threes at Sioux Falls
Report Spam   Logged
kidfromny
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 29, 2017, 03:58:14 pm »

or these players were recruited by a guy who was more interested in being their friend as opposed to coach and they need to sack up.  It is undeniable that all these guys are better players under Neubauer than Pecora.  That is his job, make them better players and he is accomplishing that. 

Don't disagree that we've seen more out of these guys under JN. They also have more experience too, but I don't disagree. However, there's  got to be a way to make guys better and still connect with them and not be an ass during the process. It just makes it so much easier for them to make decisions like we are seeing.
Report Spam   Logged
drunkle
Sophomore

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 29, 2017, 04:03:02 pm »

No agent means he can come back.  Last year Kennedy Meeks and Justin jackson declared.  Meeks couldn't even get a combine invite.  Jackson went.  he said that the Warriors were brutal in their assessment of him, told him all the ways he was deficient, all kinds of advanced analysis.

He worked his ass off all summer with that in mind.  He became ACC player of the year and consensus first team all-american and creeping up in the 1st round of mock drafts.  It makes sense for kids to declare.

Chartouny won't make the combine.  Still a fair process.  Some kids don't bother.  I don't think it means he isn't coming back.
Report Spam   Logged
Rich93
Class of 93
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 29, 2017, 04:04:22 pm »

Don't disagree that we've seen more out of these guys under JN. They also have more experience too, but I don't disagree. However, there's  got to be a way to make guys better and still connect with them and not be an ass during the process. It just makes it so much easier for them to make decisions like we are seeing.

I get it but it is frustrating that we have a coach who made these guys better made the team better and we had a chance to do something this year.  It is not easy and unfortunately this situation is still fluid.  Never a dull moment at Fordham.
Report Spam   Logged

WINNING MATTERS
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 29, 2017, 04:14:25 pm »

Whats next, Matt Massimino is transferring for a 5th year at Philadelphia Textile?
Report Spam   Logged
Bay Ridge
Freshman

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 29, 2017, 04:16:25 pm »

Kidfromny knows what he is talking about
Report Spam   Logged
pjd
Junior

Tertullian - Model Levite Priest

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: March 29, 2017, 05:18:27 pm »

Chartouny is similar to Matt Maloney.  Not Athletic enough but Smart Enough to Play - (Not sure where though)
Report Spam   Logged
John
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 29, 2017, 05:42:39 pm »

It probably makes sense for him to get evaluated. No way do I think he's NBA material at this point, but then again, I'm not an NBA scout.  With CS and AA graduating and transferring, Chartouny probably figured next season wouldn't be that much fun, figured what the heck. I suspect he's back with us in the fall, having gotten some publicity and evaluations, but only for one more year.

Even assuming that, we've got 4 spots to fill, it's nearly April, and nary a verbal for next season. Can someone tell me when I should start panicking?
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: