fordhamfans.com
April 26, 2017, 05:57:08 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Gallery Login Register  

Where is everybody going and why?

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Where is everybody going and why?  (Read 6171 times)
An Old Coach
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 31, 2017, 11:29:38 am »

Brase and Caruso got injured as seniors.  The Ivy does not allow medical redshirts, so they have to leave in order to play.  But yes, many schools are losing guys and it may indicate nothing in particular about Fordham.

Obviously a lot of schools are losing players.  It's a trend.  They're figuring out they can do it, get recruited again, it's probably a lot of fun.   I think there is a decent number of them who are doing it just because they can.  Our cases may just fall into that category.   These guys are graduating seniors, though.  They were good soldiers and didn't transfer earlier.  If they want to go to a program where they will most likely join a winning program, I can't knock them.  They want to compete with a better chance of success.  Maybe if they thought they could experience that at Fordham, they would have stayed.  I wish them the best.
Report Spam   Logged
Thump and Honk
Freshman

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 31, 2017, 11:31:07 am »

I disagree that people did not complain when coaches have run people out. That is very selective reading on your part. Just visit any thread about Manny Suarez if you want proof. As for people not complaining when other talents transferred, please visit threads about Eric Paschall.

The difference between these and the other transfers some people are labeling disloyal is that they are doing it with one year left when it appeared we were headed in the right direction.

There is nothing in the scholarship that says anything about it being until they graduate, something that only occurred b/c they school facilitated it anyway, so this notion of holding their end of the bargain is moot. Kids are given a benefit or cut a break and they bolt when it's easy to do so. It is millennial thinking to not recognize that.

"Millenial thinking" again? Please. Stop this nonsense. This is the sourest of sour grapes to attribute to a generational divide that just isn't there. Essentially any person under a contract that can realize a benefit by effectuating terms related that contract will do so; this goes back to, uh, the beginning of contracts. Now when kids do it, it's "millenial thinking"? This is entirely ahistorical and petty.

The covenants can get more restrictive. And it'll have a chilling effect on plenty of potential student-athletes that don't like being hemmed into situations that, as history shows again and again, are often entirely beyond their control.
Report Spam   Logged
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 31, 2017, 11:34:34 am »

"Millenial thinking" again? Please. Stop this nonsense. This is the sourest of sour grapes to attribute to a generational divide that just isn't there. Essentially any person under a contract that can realize a benefit by effectuating terms related that contract will do so; this goes back to, uh, the beginning of contracts. Now when kids do it, it's "millenial thinking"? This is entirely ahistorical and petty.

Ok Mr. Pettifogger, so there are no contract terms that go the other way? To the school?  Is this school allowed to not release a player? Is that effectuating terms under the contract? Can the school require that the player continue to practice while on scholarship, such as right now until the championship game?  Yes and yes.

Normally a school puts out a little blurb in the transactions that states a player has been released. Has that happened as of yet?

Its ok for players to make social media commentary or tell reporters they are leaving when still on scholarship at a school and absent a release? That is a millennial personified.
Report Spam   Logged
RamFan78
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 31, 2017, 11:44:56 am »

You nailed it. Also the first reaction for many kids when you hold them accountable to a higher standard is to leave. If anyone thinks this is Fordham they are mistaken. This is college basketball in 2017

Its not only the kids it the coaches too. The coaches make commitments to kids then leave. Its a business like it or not and it across all levels.
Report Spam   Logged
ace93
Arbitrary and Capricious Administrator
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 31, 2017, 11:45:14 am »

Obviously a lot of schools are losing players.  It's a trend.  They're figuring out they can do it, get recruited again, it's probably a lot of fun.   I think there is a decent number of them who are doing it just because they can.  Our cases may just fall into that category.   These guys are graduating seniors, though.  They were good soldiers and didn't transfer earlier.  If they want to go to a program where they will most likely join a winning program, I can't knock them.  They want to compete with a better chance of success.  Maybe if they thought they could experience that at Fordham, they would have stayed.  I wish them the best.

It would have been better if they transferred earlier. Losing seniors to be is much worse than losing sophomores to be.
Report Spam   Logged

Nothing replaces success in the revenue sports.  Nothing.  That's not to take away from the success in the Olympic sports - they do matter.  It isn't a replacement for success in the flagship sports. - Debbie Yow, AD - NC State
ace93
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 31, 2017, 11:46:54 am »

The covenants can get more restrictive. And it'll have a chilling effect on plenty of potential student-athletes that don't like being hemmed into situations that, as history shows again and again, are often entirely beyond their control.

I used it that time as a joke b/c NYRam07 is a millennial.

That said, transfers have been allowed for as long as I have been following the NCAA and as far as I know even before that, yet for some reason the transfer rate is much higher now than it used to be. I think there is a generational aspect to it, but we don't have to agree on that.
Report Spam   Logged

Nothing replaces success in the revenue sports.  Nothing.  That's not to take away from the success in the Olympic sports - they do matter.  It isn't a replacement for success in the flagship sports. - Debbie Yow, AD - NC State
Vooter
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 31, 2017, 11:49:22 am »

Maybe it's just how things are going to be moving forward for the non one-and-done schools, so maybe we just have to adapt and get better at recruiting transfers.

Or maybe we just need to go back to being a one-and-done school. The "benefits" of our current status--MAYBE an autobid, maybe an at-large bid, maybe a couple of wins in the tournament, and maybe an NIT bid--aren't exactly a staggering upgrade from the benefits of one-and-done status: a decent shot at an NCAA or NIT autobid, and an outside shot at an at-large bid and/or a couple of wins in the tournament. We're currently in post-season no-man's land, and as far as exposure for the school goes, I would bet any amount that programs from one-and-done conferences that make relatively consistent autobid appearances in the NCAA tournament (the Alcorn States, Belmonts, Bucknells, Ionas, Long Beach States, Murray States, New Mexico States, Sienas, Stephen F. Austins, Valpos, Vermonts, and Winthrops of the world) enjoy much more positive exposure than completely invisible programs like ours do...
Report Spam   Logged
NYRam07
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 31, 2017, 11:57:54 am »

I used it that time as a joke b/c NYRam07 is a millennial.

That said, transfers have been allowed for as long as I have been following the NCAA and as far as I know even before that, yet for some reason the transfer rate is much higher now than it used to be. I think there is a generational aspect to it, but we don't have to agree on that.

Technically speaking, I am a millennial, though I don't really see myself or people my age (30+) as the stereotypical "millennial."

However, when people often attack the millennial generation as lazy, or whatever... I like to flip it back to them by blaming the parents for raising such entitled brats  Grin
Report Spam   Logged
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 31, 2017, 12:01:31 pm »

Or maybe we just need to go back to being a one-and-done school. The "benefits" of our current status--MAYBE an autobid, maybe an at-large bid, maybe a couple of wins in the tournament, and maybe an NIT bid--aren't exactly a staggering upgrade from the benefits of one-and-done status: a decent shot at an NCAA or NIT autobid, and an outside shot at an at-large bid and/or a couple of wins in the tournament. We're currently in post-season no-man's land, and as far as exposure for the school goes, I would bet any amount that programs from one-and-done conferences that make relatively consistent autobid appearances in the NCAA tournament (the Alcorn States, Belmonts, Bucknells, Ionas, Long Beach States, Murray States, New Mexico States, Sienas, Stephen F. Austins, Valpos, Vermonts, and Winthrops of the world) enjoy much more positive exposure than completely invisible programs like ours do...

We are doing very well in our other sports. A-10 champs in mens soccer, perennial post season in womens hoops, softball champs.

What makes you think a move out of A-10 will be better?  You are assuming the MAAC would welcome us with open arms, big assumption.

Exactly what conference do you think we should move to and why?  You think its that easy to just up and take all of your sports and move and some conference will just say yes please come here....and be ready immediately.......it is not that easy........just ask Hofstra...
Report Spam   Logged
VTRAM
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 31, 2017, 12:11:49 pm »

Exactly. 

As far where these young adults (they are not kids anymore they graduated college) go a lot people are watching and waiting.  These guys can talk to Pecora all they want and if they listen to a guy who lost 20 games a year every year he coached here and is now an assistant at Quin then they are just looking for an excuse.

If they go to Quin then we know who Pecora is looking out for and it is not the players.
Report Spam   Logged
drunkle
Freshman

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 31, 2017, 12:15:39 pm »

forget playing. stay at Princeton. play intramural ball. move on. who's advising these guys?

I think they will have graduated.  They are seniors.  Not graduating in 3 year guys, either.  So maybe they want a free grad year elsewhere by playing ball.  But yeah, a Princeton education is nothing to sneeze at.

They may have a chance to play overseas. Caruso was really good last year.  I think he tried to play hurt this year.
Report Spam   Logged
ace93
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 31, 2017, 12:17:00 pm »

Technically speaking, I am a millennial, though I don't really see myself or people my age (30+) as the stereotypical "millennial."

However, when people often attack the millennial generation as lazy, or whatever... I like to flip it back to them by blaming the parents for raising such entitled brats  Grin

Two things. One, no millennial thinks they are a stereotypical millennial. Wink

Two, and more seriously, I agree with you on the parenting. Frank Martin of South Carolina has a good quote on that or at least it was attributed to him. I will post it if I can find it again. I see it with parents in youth sports all the time. I am good with you flipping it back b/c I am not the parent of a millennial!

Report Spam   Logged

Rich93
Class of 93
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 31, 2017, 12:17:53 pm »

You are trying too hard to sound like an attorney.  This is a message board not a court and I know a lot of judges who would look at you and say speak english this is not 1820.  

No one is saying that these guys do not have the right to leave, the question is are they ungrateful and disloyal.  The answer for many is: Yes and Yes.  You can have the right to do something but it does not mean it is the right thing to do.  

As far as future recruits not coming to fordham because it takes steps to increase the likely hood that they stay for 4 years, having these kids come for 3 years then leave does more harm than their not coming at all.  I do not know about you, but I am not satisfied with 7-11 in conference and if we cannot keep these guys here for for their senior year that is where we will keep ending up.  We are going to be in a position where it is not in the program's best interest to sign freshman.  Better to sign all Jucos and transfers.  Not a situation I want but it is now necessary and it perpetuates the problem because we are now taking another school's grad transfer.   It goes on and on.  
Report Spam   Logged

WINNING MATTERS
An Old Coach
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 31, 2017, 12:26:59 pm »

It would have been better if they transferred earlier. Losing seniors to be is much worse than losing sophomores to be.

These guys gave Fordham 3 good years.  Would you rather have had 3 or 1?  I'll take 3.
Report Spam   Logged
NYRam07
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 31, 2017, 12:37:07 pm »

Two things. One, no millennial thinks they are a stereotypical millennial. Wink

Two, and more seriously, I agree with you on the parenting. Frank Martin of South Carolina has a good quote on that or at least it was attributed to him. I will post it if I can find it again. I see it with parents in youth sports all the time. I am good with you flipping it back b/c I am not the parent of a millennial!

That's a terrific quote.
Report Spam   Logged
Rich93
Class of 93
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: March 31, 2017, 12:41:44 pm »

These guys gave Fordham 3 good years.  Would you rather have had 3 or 1?  I'll take 3.

The goal is to have a winning season in conference, that goal was within reach this year if these guys stayed and we added a few more pieces.  The last two years are only good if we build on them in year 3.  That is the point, you enjoy the incremental improvements towards the ultimate goal.  If players are not going to stick around we cannot accomplish what we want: a winning team in the A-10.  I enjoyed the last 2 years more than you but that is in part because they could be built on for year 3.
Report Spam   Logged

WINNING MATTERS
John
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 31, 2017, 12:52:58 pm »

I think so-called "Millennial thinking" (if such a thing exists) is more evident in kids who play a year at a school and bolt, because they didn't like their PT, or the coach said something mean, or something happened they couldn't control and didn't like (EP was a prime example of this). The graduate transfers are guys who did take advantage of, and did appreciate, what was being given them.

For instance, if Sengfelder had said "I'm taking my degree and going to medical school", instead of hanging around for a 4th year, would anyone have called him selfish? Or demanded that he stay to play basketball for the joy of the fans for another year?  I doubt that would be the majority view. As I've said before, these kids owe it to themselves to take advantage of what's being given, they owe it to the University to be good representatives -- which CS and AA both did -- and they owe us boosters and followers of the program nothing. Bupkus. The Null Set.

So, we've got a variant. "I'm taking my degree, and have a chance to start grad school at XYZ university, and I can turn my year of eligibility into a year's free tuition and board there". Perfectly logical choice, in most cases. "Why not stay here?" "I've already got my degree from here. I'd like a change of scenery." Again, nothing wrong with that.

Now, as to the question of why kids decide to play and study at another school, instead of remaining to play and study at dear old Fordham (as Ryan Canty did), I could see various factors. Our playing and training facilities are way substandard; most transferee schools are at a whole 'nother level. They're bored. If indeed we're keeping these kids on campus year round, they want a change of scene. To folks their age, a year is forever. If they're stuck here year-round, school seems like more of a sentence than a choice.  We've never been competitive in our conference. Never. So the NCAA bid is probably a pipe dream. We're a poky backward looking school (thin, old crowds, generating little publicity, looking to name the court after a genial failure) in a world of sleek, modern programs that have made the investments needed.

All of those last things are on the school, not the student-athletes. The grad transfer rule is just one more way Fordham's lack of planning comes around to bite us in the backside. It's a wonder there's any meat left back there.
Report Spam   Logged
An Old Coach
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 31, 2017, 01:00:05 pm »

The goal is to have a winning season in conference, that goal was within reach this year if these guys stayed and we added a few more pieces.  The last two years are only good if we build on them in year 3.  That is the point, you enjoy the incremental improvements towards the ultimate goal.  If players are not going to stick around we cannot accomplish what we want: a winning team in the A-10.  I enjoyed the last 2 years more than you but that is in part because they could be built on for year 3.

In an ideal situation, I would agree.  It's a different world now.  They gave us 3 good years and I wish it were 4.  I was glad we had them as long as we did..
Report Spam   Logged
Rich93
Class of 93
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 31, 2017, 01:05:47 pm »

I think so-called "Millennial thinking" (if such a thing exists) is more evident in kids who play a year at a school and bolt, because they didn't like their PT, or the coach said something mean, or something happened they couldn't control and didn't like (EP was a prime example of this). The graduate transfers are guys who did take advantage of, and did appreciate, what was being given them.

For instance, if Sengfelder had said "I'm taking my degree and going to medical school", instead of hanging around for a 4th year, would anyone have called him selfish? Or demanded that he stay to play basketball for the joy of the fans for another year?  I doubt that would be the majority view. As I've said before, these kids owe it to themselves to take advantage of what's being given, they owe it to the University to be good representatives -- which CS and AA both did -- and they owe us boosters and followers of the program nothing. Bupkus. The Null Set.

So, we've got a variant. "I'm taking my degree, and have a chance to start grad school at XYZ university, and I can turn my year of eligibility into a year's free tuition and board there". Perfectly logical choice, in most cases. "Why not stay here?" "I've already got my degree from here. I'd like a change of scenery." Again, nothing wrong with that.

Now, as to the question of why kids decide to play and study at another school, instead of remaining to play and study at dear old Fordham (as Ryan Canty did), I could see various factors. Our playing and training facilities are way substandard; most transferee schools are at a whole 'nother level. They're bored. If indeed we're keeping these kids on campus year round, they want a change of scene. To folks their age, a year is forever. If they're stuck here year-round, school seems like more of a sentence than a choice.  We've never been competitive in our conference. Never. So the NCAA bid is probably a pipe dream. We're a poky backward looking school (thin, old crowds, generating little publicity, looking to name the court after a genial failure) in a world of sleek, modern programs that have made the investments needed.

All of those last things are on the school, not the student-athletes. The grad transfer rule is just one more way Fordham's lack of planning comes around to bite us in the backside. It's a wonder there's any meat left back there.

You make it sound like these guys were in jail for the last 3-4 years, got nothing out of their time here, and did Fordham a favor by coming here in the first place.  That is BS.  Fordham does a lot of stuff that becomes a self inflicted wound but this is not one of those things.  This is all on the players.   

In an ideal situation, I would agree.  It's a different world now.  They gave us 3 good years and I wish it were 4.  I was glad we had them as long as we did..

No they did not give us 3 good seasons.  First year they lost 20 games and now they are bolting when the ultimate goal is in sight.  We would have been better off if they left when Pecora was fired. 
Report Spam   Logged

WINNING MATTERS
An Old Coach
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 31, 2017, 01:17:57 pm »

You make it sound like these guys were in jail for the last 3-4 years, got nothing out of their time here, and did Fordham a favor by coming here in the first place.  That is BS.  Fordham does a lot of stuff that becomes a self inflicted wound but this is not one of those things.  This is all on the players.   

No they did not give us 3 good seasons.  First year they lost 20 games and now they are bolting when the ultimate goal is in sight.  We would have been better off if they left when Pecora was fired. 

We disagree.  I have no reason to think they didn't put out everything they had.  I don't understand sour grapes because they are taking an opportunity that is available to them.  If they were graduating and calling it a career, we would be throwing bouquets at them.
Report Spam   Logged
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 31, 2017, 01:21:02 pm »

Rich, I get that you think that their leaving seems disloyal and ungrateful.  Loyalty can somewhat be in the eye of the beholder and you and I disagree on that point. But I respect your view. We don't know whether these guys are grateful or not. We don't know what went into their decision.  Myself, I think leaving for a graduate year at another institution is a good idea because it gives you a different experience. But whatever, we can agree to disagree on the loyalty premise.

But what I can't agree with is the fact that your disappointment (and even anger) about this is letting you to start to vilify these guys. By all accounts these guys played hard, kept their noses clean, and did what was asked. They took advantage of what was out there. The fact that they're leaving doesn't negate their efforts. To say "they should have left" really seems to be going in the wrong direction.

I'm not happy they're not going to be around, but I understand it.  I enjoyed watching them play and hope they have success down the road.
Report Spam   Logged
ace93
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 31, 2017, 01:36:53 pm »

Rich, I get that you think that their leaving seems disloyal and ungrateful.  Loyalty can somewhat be in the eye of the beholder and you and I disagree on that point. But I respect your view. We don't know whether these guys are grateful or not. We don't know what went into their decision.  Myself, I think leaving for a graduate year at another institution is a good idea because it gives you a different experience. But whatever, we can agree to disagree on the loyalty premise.

But what I can't agree with is the fact that your disappointment (and even anger) about this is letting you to start to vilify these guys. By all accounts these guys played hard, kept their noses clean, and did what was asked. They took advantage of what was out there. The fact that they're leaving doesn't negate their efforts. To say "they should have left" really seems to be going in the wrong direction.

I'm not happy they're not going to be around, but I understand it.  I enjoyed watching them play and hope they have success down the road.

I am not sure if "they should have left" is really what you are making it out to be. I think the idea is that for building a program we might have been better off if they had left then b/c we have basically been on a false trajectory over the last 2 years b/c the build up was for their seniors years. If they are going to leave now, we possibly could have been better of building with other players who would have stuck around. Of course, the assumption is that these other player would stick around, and in today's world of college basketball, that is a huge assumption.
Report Spam   Logged

Rich93
Class of 93
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 31, 2017, 01:41:00 pm »

I am criticizing their decision and what is surprising to me is the number of people here who think we should just thank them as if they did Fordham a favor coming in the first.  There is nothing wrong with pointing out what Fordham gave these guys.  A lot of self loathing alumni here.  Reality is both of these players gained a substantial benefit from Fordham, I am not going through it again and when it was time for the Fordham basketball program to move forward they decided to leave.  If you told me two years ago this would happen I would have said we would be better off having them leave and then trying to find players who want to be part of accomplishing the goal of Fordham basketball in addition to achieving their personal goals.  That is how I see this, and going forward Fordham needs to do a better job of protecting itself and the program.  
Report Spam   Logged

WINNING MATTERS
An Old Coach
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 31, 2017, 01:44:12 pm »

I am not sure if "they should have left" is really what you are making it out to be. I think the idea is that for building a program we might have been better off if they had left then b/c we have basically been on a false trajectory over the last 2 years b/c the build up was for their seniors years. If they are going to leave now, we possibly could have been better of building with other players who would have stuck around. Of course, the assumption is that these other player would stick around, and in today's world of college basketball, that is a huge assumption.

How can it be a false trajectory?  I don't think they planned it this way when they came to Fordham.  This is the way it panned out.  Had they left earlier you can argue we wouldn't have the season we had this year.  Back in January when it looked like we might win 2 games in the A-10, I doubt anyone envisioned they'd even have the opportunity.  If they hadn't been good enough to transfer for a post grad year we also probably wouldn't have had the year we had.   Coaches and fans have to just accept that this is the game now.  It's going to be 1-2 years at a time.
Report Spam   Logged
Rich93
Class of 93
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 31, 2017, 01:47:12 pm »

How can it be a false trajectory?  I don't think they planned it this way when they came to Fordham.  This is the way it panned out.  Had they left earlier you can argue we wouldn't have the season we had this year.  Back in January when it looked like we might win 2 games in the A-10, I doubt anyone envisioned they'd even have the opportunity.  If they hadn't been good enough to transfer for a post grad year we also probably wouldn't have had the year we had.   Coaches and fans have to just accept that this is the game now.  It's going to be 1-2 years at a time.

What did we have?  You are the one who killed anyone who said anything positive about a 7-11 season, now you talk like we went to the tournament. 

The last two years were good in comparison to the other 20 and I had more fun than had in years but that is not the goal.  Part of the fun was that you could see it building to next year so those two years are only as good as year 3 because that is what we were building to. 

I agree with your last line but that does not mean we have to throw rose petals on the ground as these guys leave.  Not going to happen. 
Report Spam   Logged

WINNING MATTERS
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 31, 2017, 01:51:40 pm »

Fordham needs to do a better job of preventing these situations.

Now, like a neon sign with flashing lights around it. Chartouny lists himself as Class of 2018. ....yet he just finished his sophomore year.....so..... maybe deny those summer classes this year... no more 4 for 3 trades,  its unreasonable to trade 4 years of education for 3 years of playing.......  stop doing it.
Report Spam   Logged
RickFC77
Junior

Where was Lembo when I needed him?

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 31, 2017, 02:06:47 pm »

I am criticizing their decision and what is surprising to me is the number of people here who think we should just thank them as if they did Fordham a favor coming in the first.  There is nothing wrong with pointing out what Fordham gave these guys.  A lot of self loathing alumni here.  Reality is both of these players gained a substantial benefit from Fordham, I am not going through it again and when it was time for the Fordham basketball program to move forward they decided to leave.  If you told me two years ago this would happen I would have said we would be better off having them leave and then trying to find players who want to be part of accomplishing the goal of Fordham basketball in addition to achieving their personal goals.  That is how I see this, and going forward Fordham needs to do a better job of protecting itself and the program.  

I think the prevailing view that has been expressed is that while most posters wish they would have decided to stay, they wish them well.  Other than you saying it, I have not read many posts expressing the view that they believe these players did Fordham a favor by coming here.  These are young men, who have apparently done well academically and played to the best of their abilities and now wish to experience playing basketball at a different school. If given the same opportunity, I cannot say I would have chosen any differently.
Report Spam   Logged

“Hail men of Fordham hail."
Chaka001
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 31, 2017, 02:09:57 pm »

Interesting topic and some viewpoints as well.  Thanks to 85, NY07 and 71 in particular as you raise some valid points.  
If coaches are able to do whatever they so choose and jump ship at a moment's notice, it's kinda of hard to blame the kids.  Just look at the example that is being set for them by their coaches.  Overall, I am not fond of the merry go round of players transferring as it is getting hard to root for a team when coaches and players alike are constantly looking for green pastures.

Overall, 71 may have said it best, you have to look at each student-athletes situation one by one.  Everyone makes decisions based on different variables and situations and I just hope these kids are making them for the best of intentions.  As a fan and alum, its just getting harder to stomach.  JN really has his work cut out for him to bring in some talent and I wish him all the best.  
Report Spam   Logged
VTRAM
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 31, 2017, 02:15:26 pm »

These are young men, who have apparently done well academically and played to the best of their abilities and now wish to experience playing basketball at a different school. If given the same opportunity, I cannot say I would have chosen any differently.

Don;t you want to see where they end up before you make this proclamation?
Report Spam   Logged
Thump and Honk
Freshman

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 31, 2017, 02:19:29 pm »

You are trying too hard to sound like an attorney.  This is a message board not a court and I know a lot of judges who would look at you and say speak english this is not 1820.  

No one is saying that these guys do not have the right to leave, the question is are they ungrateful and disloyal.  The answer for many is: Yes and Yes.  You can have the right to do something but it does not mean it is the right thing to do.  

As far as future recruits not coming to fordham because it takes steps to increase the likely hood that they stay for 4 years, having these kids come for 3 years then leave does more harm than their not coming at all.  I do not know about you, but I am not satisfied with 7-11 in conference and if we cannot keep these guys here for for their senior year that is where we will keep ending up.  We are going to be in a position where it is not in the program's best interest to sign freshman.  Better to sign all Jucos and transfers.  Not a situation I want but it is now necessary and it perpetuates the problem because we are now taking another school's grad transfer.   It goes on and on.  

I'm not writing to make you happy. I don't care about your thoughts on how I write.

The point is that "waah these millenials are bad because they're not loyal" is idiotic. Universities either a.) think athletics gives them an edge in their mission overall and therefore maintains programs or b.) doesn't on either count. Fordham's not being selfless, and expecting the kids to do the same is psychotic. So go ahead and watch the super-loyal and super-consistent NBA. Just ask Supersonics fans how that's going. You can find them behind a smoldering pile of Kevin Durant OKC jerseys.

Kids get recruited over all the time. Kids get run out of programs all the time. In a non-basketball context, those of us with an ear to the ground in college hockey saw North Dakota scrap their women's hockey program while the team was still practicing for the upcoming season AND made the announcement while a commit was visiting the school; the deliberation to end the program was never telegraphed to the players or possible commits. These are not aberrations. This is S.O.P. for schools all over the place. And we should be holding the kids to a higher standard? Please.

Nobody would blame a student that transfers from an inferior to a superior academic school, because they're looking out for themselves. Same with wanting to be closer to home, etc. But if that same student bounces or throws a ball while others—but never them—make money off it, getting out while the getting's good is a mortal sin? Come on.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: