fordhamfans.com
June 25, 2017, 06:28:48 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Gallery Login Register  

Should Fordham Deny Releases for Transfers?

Poll
Question: Hardnett, Smith, Severe, Sengfelder, Anderson....who is next?
Yes. Draw a line in the sand. - 5 (10.4%)
Maybe. Case by case basis. - 19 (39.6%)
No. We would be blackballed if we did. - 24 (50%)
Total Voters: 48

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Should Fordham Deny Releases for Transfers?  (Read 2495 times)
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: June 14, 2017, 12:34:37 pm »

The divide is too great between the revenue generating programs and programs like ours. Our program is a fair deal for the players. They stay all summer and probably are getting about an $80K a year benefit. We havent had an NBA player since Danny O and that was about 25 years ago. Its a pretty good deal for a non NBA quality playesr to come to Fordham, get a nice education and and  if good enough, maybe have a shot at making some real money in overseas.

Bilas wants players to be paid and he wants unrestricted transferring. Maybe if Duke is making millions of dollars a year its an argument. Its not for probably 2/3rds of the D1 programs.  Apples and oranges.
Report Spam   Logged
ace93
Arbitrary and Capricious Administrator
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: June 14, 2017, 12:40:18 pm »

The divide is too great between the revenue generating programs and programs like ours. Our program is a fair deal for the players. They stay all summer and probably are getting about an $80K a year benefit. We havent had an NBA player since Danny O and that was about 25 years ago. Its a pretty good deal for a non NBA quality playesr to come to Fordham, get a nice education and and  if good enough, maybe have a shot at making some real money in overseas.

Bilas wants players to be paid and he wants unrestricted transferring. Maybe if Duke is making millions of dollars a year its an argument. Its not for probably 2/3rds of the D1 programs.  Apples and oranges.

Tell Bilas it requires revenue sharing as well and see if he is still as gung-ho about paying players and free transfers.
Report Spam   Logged

Nothing replaces success in the revenue sports.  Nothing.  That's not to take away from the success in the Olympic sports - they do matter.  It isn't a replacement for success in the flagship sports. - Debbie Yow, AD - NC State
Rich93
Class of 93
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: June 14, 2017, 01:16:25 pm »

Sadly, the NCAA Tournament will hardly feel the loss of the mid and low-majors.  Tourny is becoming more elite every year, dominated by the Power conferences and a group of schools calling themselves The Big East.  Eventually the Power 5 may have their own post season tourny moving the NCAA one step closer to obsolete and then extinct.  Smaller schools aren't the ones driving t.v. viewership, ticket and merchandise sales, etc.

I think the tournament would miss the A-10 Mountain West AAC and other similar conferences.  I think they need to rethink the automatic bids for every conference.  Get the 68 best teams in the tournament and have them go at it.  I think that would ensure that the mid level conferences get more teams in and the lower conferences send their best teams who can compete as opposed their conference tournament champion which may be a team that got hot for a few days.   
Report Spam   Logged

WINNING MATTERS
RickFC77
Junior

Where was Lembo when I needed him?

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: June 14, 2017, 01:32:16 pm »

I think that for a school like Fordham, replacing a transfer is much more difficult than for a school like Duke, UNC, Kentucky and the like. That has been proven this off-season. Coaches and staff seem much more easily replaced in my opinion.

Don't disagree but I am viewing it from the student's perspective.  I think you could make some changes and while not have unrestricted transferring, still make it a little bit more equitable for the students:

You hire a coach under contract at another school, your players have a right to transfer without restrictions. 
Same if you terminate a coach under contract.
A free transfer after freshmen year, this might actually benefit schools like Fordham as the Dukes of the world will no longer be able to stockpile talent.
Report Spam   Logged

“Hail men of Fordham hail."
An Old Coach
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: June 14, 2017, 01:35:48 pm »

1A and 1AA in Men's basketball would kill the NCAA tournament. That's the big cash cow.

So let the 1-AA conferences send their winners like they do now. The days of the giant killers are pretty much over anyqay. 
Report Spam   Logged
Rich93
Class of 93
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: June 14, 2017, 01:37:35 pm »

So let the 1-AA conferences send their winners like they do now. The days of the giant killers are pretty much over anyqay. 

If they are sending their winners to the tournament then what is the difference other than labeling them differently?
Report Spam   Logged

WINNING MATTERS
ace93
Arbitrary and Capricious Administrator
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: June 14, 2017, 02:19:41 pm »

I got sucked into the debate too, but this is not a big conference vs. smaller conference issue. Bilas' story dealt with a player from Pittsburgh (ACC) transferring to UNC (ACC). He also mentioned  a situation at Kansas State (Big 12).
Report Spam   Logged

Nothing replaces success in the revenue sports.  Nothing.  That's not to take away from the success in the Olympic sports - they do matter.  It isn't a replacement for success in the flagship sports. - Debbie Yow, AD - NC State
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: June 14, 2017, 02:22:05 pm »

The K State thing was a football issue.  Coach Snyder denied a release. The receiver called him a slave master.

Its too subjective. Just make it a 1 year sit out, no blocking of schools or anything of that nature. The release has become a joke so why even bother with it anymore? The graduate players have complicated things.   
Report Spam   Logged
RealDeal
Sophomore

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: June 14, 2017, 03:47:22 pm »

Actually, I think to generate some fresh interest in the tournament (which is suffering in the ratings), there shouldould be a formula to determine a cap on the number of teams eligible to make the NCAAs in a specific year.  It could based on how successful the conference was in advancing teams previously. I think more non-elite conference teams would be refreshing.
Report Spam   Logged
drunkle
Sophomore

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: June 15, 2017, 07:18:24 am »

Actually, I think to generate some fresh interest in the tournament (which is suffering in the ratings), there shouldould be a formula to determine a cap on the number of teams eligible to make the NCAAs in a specific year.  It could based on how successful the conference was in advancing teams previously. I think more non-elite conference teams would be refreshing.

Are ratings suffering? When you include on-line?

https://www.google.com/amp/www.hollywoodreporter.com/amp/live-feed/march-madness-ratings-pacing-at-24-year-high-987463
Report Spam   Logged
An Old Coach
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: June 15, 2017, 08:34:10 am »

If they are sending their winners to the tournament then what is the difference other than labeling them differently?

The D-IA schools can have one set of eligibility/transfer rules that work for them and the I-AA schools would be more restrictive it that's what suits them.  Really not that much different than we have now.  The Power 5 and select major programs have most of the money and that has created a huge disparity.  It's never going backward.  Adjust to reality and move on. 
Report Spam   Logged
Rich93
Class of 93
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: June 15, 2017, 08:53:12 am »

I think this

Makes it less likely that this

The D-IA schools can have one set of eligibility/transfer rules that work for them and the I-AA schools would be more restrictive it that's what suits them.  Really not that much different than we have now.  The Power 5 and select major programs have most of the money and that has created a huge disparity.  It's never going backward.  Adjust to reality and move on. 

Happens. 
Report Spam   Logged

WINNING MATTERS
An Old Coach
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: June 15, 2017, 10:27:44 am »

I think this

Makes it less likely that this

Happens. 

In the end it doesn't really matter. No changes will be made that don't benefit the big programs. The system is rigged now and fewer and fewer small schools are making an impact in the tournament.  Eventually that is going to impact ratings.   There is only so much appetite for Kentucky blowing out the likes of Fairleigh Dickenson in first round games.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2017, 10:59:43 am by An Old Coach » Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: