fordhamfans.com
August 20, 2017, 01:50:33 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Gallery Login Register  

Aughinbaugh Named A10 Pitcher of the Week

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Aughinbaugh Named A10 Pitcher of the Week  (Read 139 times)
txram
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« on: April 03, 2017, 02:24:06 pm »

Madi Aughinbaugh, a freshman, was named A10 Pitcher of the Week, battling St. Joe's Ally Vergona for the honor, who threw close to 400 pitches against us this last weekend.

http://fordhamsports.com/news/2017/4/3/softball-aughinbaugh-named-a-10-pitcher-of-the-week.aspx
Report Spam   Logged

Social Buttons

SIram
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2017, 03:00:12 pm »

Madi Aughinbaugh, a freshman, was named A10 Pitcher of the Week, battling St. Joe's Ally Vergona for the honor, who threw close to 400 pitches against us this last weekend.

http://fordhamsports.com/news/2017/4/3/softball-aughinbaugh-named-a-10-pitcher-of-the-week.aspx

Congratulations to Madi!

Regrading the St. Joe's pitcher, 400 pitches, even for softball that sounds like way too many pitches, is that common?
Report Spam   Logged
txram
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2017, 05:17:46 pm »

Congratulations to Madi!

Regrading the St. Joe's pitcher, 400 pitches, even for softball that sounds like way too many pitches, is that common?
Not very, but some teams do have "workhorses".  UMass, in their prime, had a couple who probably pitched more, and they threw hard.  They were strikeout pitchers, which usually means they throw more.  The SJU pitcher was more of a control pitcher as opposed to an overpowering one.  Likely her arm was tired and sore though.  Bridget was expecting she'd wear out sooner, but she held up pretty well. 

Bridget mentioned that the Rams' Jen Mineau went 16 innings once, I think in the NCAA's, and lost 1-0.  That was probably around 250 pitches in one game.  Obviously in baseball, 100 becomes a lot, then they need 3-4 days rest.  The softball pitching motion isn't as stressful, but it can still be wearing, both as to the arm and the legs.  RickFC77 can speak more as to that since his daughter pitched.

To clarify things, 400 pitches was over 2 games in consecutive days.

« Last Edit: April 03, 2017, 05:42:17 pm by txram » Report Spam   Logged
SIram
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2017, 11:23:38 am »

Tx,

Thanks, I was not sure at all how to evaluate 400 pitches thrown, even over two days, I knew baseball was not a good reference point in this case.

It does seem that the team has more quality pitching depth than it has had in awhile.
Report Spam   Logged
RickFC77
Junior

Where was Lembo when I needed him?

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2017, 11:58:05 am »

You are correct, you cannot compare pitch counts in baseball to softball.  In HS my daughter pitched every inning of every game her senior year ending at the State quarterfinals and then went straight to travel pitching 4-6 games every weekend all summer and had no problems with her arm ever feeling tired.  In college she would often pitch one game and relieve if needed in the second.  Thing is she was the norm, not the exception. Jen with the Rams and Olivia Galati at Hofstra were two pitchers who could and often did pitch both games of the doubleheader.

Pitching in softball is even more important than in baseball.  If you do not have quality pitching in SB, it does not matter how well your batters hit and fielders field, you are going nowhere.  I once heard a coach describe the SB pitcher as the most important position in all of sports and I agree with that statement.
Report Spam   Logged

“Hail men of Fordham hail."

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: