fordhamfans.com
November 19, 2017, 02:56:13 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Gallery Login Register  

Coach Hurley

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Coach Hurley  (Read 1737 times)
HKRam
Freshman

View Profile
« on: April 06, 2017, 10:52:17 am »

If St. Anthony's is closing and President/Coach Hurley will be out of a job come June, does it make sense for Coach Neubauer to reach out to him and have him join our program as a special assistant the way St. John's did with Gene Keady?
Report Spam   Logged

Social Buttons

DamnRam
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2017, 11:49:14 am »

If St. Anthony's is closing and President/Coach Hurley will be out of a job come June, does it make sense for Coach Neubauer to reach out to him and have him join our program as a special assistant the way St. John's did with Gene Keady?

Is St. Anthony's closing?  If so, what do you think would make sense?
Report Spam   Logged
ace93
Arbitrary and Capricious Administrator
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2017, 11:51:33 am »

St. Anthony is closing, according to an article posted in another thread. Bob Hurley, Sr. is the president of the school now and he said it is closing.

I do not know if it makes sense or not to bring him on as a special assistant, but I am confident in saying that it will not happen.
Report Spam   Logged

Nothing replaces success in the revenue sports.  Nothing.  That's not to take away from the success in the Olympic sports - they do matter.  It isn't a replacement for success in the flagship sports. - Debbie Yow, AD - NC State
John
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2017, 12:15:21 pm »

Lavin brought on Keady as a special assistant because he needed someone who could, you know, coach the game of basketball.  JN doesn't need anyone in that capacity. If Coach Hurley felt a desire to move to the collegiate game, I suspect he'd have other, more attractive opportunities.
Report Spam   Logged
Bay Ridge
Freshman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2017, 12:17:13 pm »

John - that is putting it politely
Report Spam   Logged
ramfan01
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2017, 12:17:43 pm »

If he does join the Rams of the A10, it wont be us.
Report Spam   Logged
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2017, 12:25:37 pm »

I hate the Hurleys.

That being said, how come is filthy rich coaching sons or any of his glorified players couldnt step up together to save beloved alma mater?

Gene Keady was a world class college coach for decades.  Not to mention the awesome hair.
Report Spam   Logged
RamFan78
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2017, 12:42:01 pm »

I hate the Hurleys.

That being said, how come is filthy rich coaching sons or any of his glorified players couldnt step up together to save beloved alma mater?

Gene Keady was a world class college coach for decades.  Not to mention the awesome hair.

Its not that simple. The decision is made by the NJ Catholic Diocese and it takes into consideration a lot more than you are making it. If attendance has dwindled as it has then it cannot be sustained. Same thing happened years ago to iconic schools such as Power Memorial in NYC.
Report Spam   Logged
An Old Coach
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2017, 12:54:33 pm »

Start with it would have to be Neubauer's idea and it would have to be someone he was very comfortable with, most likely someone he had a long, solid relationship with already.  Why would Hurley want to be anyone's special assistant anyway?  Pipe dream idea...

Report Spam   Logged
ace93
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2017, 01:10:48 pm »

I hate the Hurleys.

The article that was posted in the other thread said that they were given 9 conditions they needed to meet by the diocese and one of them was to have an enrollment of at least 200 students for next academic year. They were unable to meet that.

The 69-year-old Hurley said six conditions were met and a seventh was possible, but there was no chance the school would get 200 students for next year or have $500,000 in its bank account by September.

I also would not overestimate the amount of money his former players have. Too many stories of former sports stars not managing their money very well.
Report Spam   Logged

Nothing replaces success in the revenue sports.  Nothing.  That's not to take away from the success in the Olympic sports - they do matter.  It isn't a replacement for success in the flagship sports. - Debbie Yow, AD - NC State
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2017, 01:20:52 pm »

The article that was posted in the other thread said that they were given 9 conditions they needed to meet by the diocese and one of them was to have an enrollment of at least 200 students for next academic year. They were unable to meet that.

Well, there is your answer......kids choose to go elsewhere..
Report Spam   Logged
ace93
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2017, 01:24:48 pm »

Well, there is your answer......kids choose to go elsewhere..

True, but some of the kids who go there won't have similar options. The tuition at St. Anthony is very low compared to most other Catholic high schools in the area.
Report Spam   Logged

Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2017, 01:28:04 pm »

They made their basketball coach the school's president.  Does he even have a college degree?  Sounds to me like that was the school's identity.
Report Spam   Logged
Rich93
Class of 93
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2017, 01:30:17 pm »

They made their basketball coach the school's president.  Does he even have a college degree?  Sounds to me like that was the school's identity.

Exactly.  The diocese wanted to shut that place down for years they do not care about Hurley or state basketball titles. 
Report Spam   Logged

WINNING MATTERS
Golden Ram
Freshman

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2017, 01:34:59 pm »

He went to St. Peter's and left his sophomore year because he did not like the way he fit in their basketball program. He still became a heck of a coach.
Report Spam   Logged
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2017, 01:38:18 pm »

True, but some of the kids who go there won't have similar options. The tuition at St. Anthony is very low compared to most other Catholic high schools in the area.

True but life happens, you have to pay your teachers.  Reminds me of St. Agnes in LI, that school was always about basketball only, they used to find guys from all over to go to school there. That was their entire identity. The ink wasnt dry yet and Chaminade took over and fired their basketball coach, Frank Morris, it was classic!
Report Spam   Logged
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2017, 01:39:34 pm »

He went to St. Peter's and left his sophomore year because he did not like the way he fit in their basketball program. He still became a heck of a coach.

Coaching is not running a school, however. Usually those jobs go to folks with Phd after their names.  That school seems like it sank its entire identity into its mens hoops program. 
Report Spam   Logged
DamnRam
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2017, 02:13:39 pm »

Coaching is not running a school, however. Usually those jobs go to folks with Phd after their names.  That school seems like it sank its entire identity into its mens hoops program. 

It's a tail-wagging-dog problem.  It's one thing for a good school to have a good sports program, but when a school is perceived to primarily exist to keep a sports program alive, then you risk turning off the majority of academically-oriented parents looking primarily for a good education.  The academic reputation of the school slides and this in turn confirms the original impression.

It will be interesting to see what happens when St. Anthony's does close.  Will the building be sold to another private school which focuses exclusively on academics and doubles the tuition (with breaks for the smarter kids they want to attract)?  That's what I would do if I were in that field.
Report Spam   Logged
vinnys
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2017, 02:21:20 pm »

yep  St. Anthony $6,000   St. Peter's Prep $17,000
Report Spam   Logged
An Old Coach
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2017, 02:25:42 pm »

I hate the Hurleys.

I don't think saving the school with an infusion of cash was the issue.  They needed a plan to make it sustainable.  The diocese knows this.  I think they wanted the school closed.  St Patrick's, another legendary NJ basketball school went through a similar situation.  They closed the school and reopened it as The Patrick School which is private and not affiliated with the diocese.
Report Spam   Logged
Ram 83
Sophomore

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2017, 03:35:52 pm »

That is true, but St Anthony's money problems go back WAY before Hurley became pres.  If nothing else, it was his hard work that kept the school open for the past 20+ years.  It did get to the point that the only thing keeping the school afloat was the hoops program, and as AOC says, that was unsustainable.
Report Spam   Logged
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2017, 04:03:04 pm »

That is true, but St Anthony's money problems go back WAY before Hurley became pres.  If nothing else, it was his hard work that kept the school open for the past 20+ years.  It did get to the point that the only thing keeping the school afloat was the hoops program, and as AOC says, that was unsustainable.

Please with this , exactly why I hate the whole Hurley myth. He was the basketball coach, then they made him president in June of 2014. His hard work? Please, the placed collapsed after he became president.  Exactly what hard work did he do to keep the school open?
Report Spam   Logged
NYRam07
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 06, 2017, 04:38:04 pm »

If tuition was so cheap compared to other private schools In the area, why didn't it have a larger enrollment? I'm assuming academics suffered? Anyone know if that's true?
Report Spam   Logged
An Old Coach
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 06, 2017, 04:42:54 pm »

If tuition was so cheap compared to other private schools In the area, why didn't it have a larger enrollment? I'm assuming academics suffered? Anyone know if that's true?

$6,000 or whatever it is is a lot of cake in that part of the world.  The diocese floated them money over the years but they never put pros in place to make if rebound.  Jersey City is an resurgent miracle for urban cities.  The Diocese never made St. Anthony's part of the plan.  They don't want to be in the urban education business.
Report Spam   Logged
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 06, 2017, 04:49:13 pm »

I Sorry, but I cant  buy into this Hurley myth, please. He was a basketball coach at a lower end Catholic school, and he won a lot of games. His players went to some big time programs but in the end, nobody saved the school, jut like Power Memorial, just like St. Agnes, just like Maria Regina, just like Pius X and just like a host of others. The diocesan schools are becoming a thing of the past, for millions of reasons. Nobody is a hero and nobody is a savior here. 
Report Spam   Logged
NYRam07
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 06, 2017, 04:59:37 pm »

I Sorry, but I cant  buy into this Hurley myth, please. He was a basketball coach at a lower end Catholic school, and he won a lot of games. His players went to some big time programs but in the end, nobody saved the school, jut like Power Memorial, just like St. Agnes, just like Maria Regina, just like Pius X and just like a host of others. The diocesan schools are becoming a thing of the past, for millions of reasons. Nobody is a hero and nobody is a savior here. 

Neither East Meadow nor Merrick have catholic grade schools anymore. It's sad and the problem is getting worse, not better. East Meadow is a very large town too - 5 middle schools.
Report Spam   Logged
An Old Coach
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 06, 2017, 05:09:20 pm »

Neither East Meadow nor Merrick have catholic grade schools anymore. It's sad and the problem is getting worse, not better. East Meadow is a very large town too - 5 middle schools.

Catholic Schools like every other business have evolved but the leadership either can't or wont look at new business models.  It will never return to the halcyon days of the '30s to the '80s but there are some very solid models out there that are doing great things.  Christo Rey is a national network and Faith in the Future in Philly are doing what was thought to be impossible. It has to come from the top though and in many cases Dioceses don't want to be in the school business anymore.
Report Spam   Logged
John
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 06, 2017, 05:59:45 pm »

It has to come from the top though and in many cases Dioceses don't want to be in the school business anymore.

Right about the dioceses. Catholic schools near me that are owned and run by individual religious orders are holding their own. Diocesan high schools seem to be getting starved of resources and attention.
Report Spam   Logged
Rich93
Class of 93
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 06, 2017, 07:11:22 pm »

Again the community at large could not care less about Hurley and Saint Anthony basketball or the school closing. I grew up and live in Jersey I am telling you a few people kept this going because they liked Hurley but generally everyone knew paying one dollar to send a kid to that school was a waste of money.  Papers will write a few stories but tomorrow he will be forgotten except for very few.  It was a matter of time and very few give a crap.  Adios there are many other better schools to send kids to. 
Report Spam   Logged

WINNING MATTERS
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 06, 2017, 07:53:39 pm »

St. Raphaels is gone?  Matt Dohertys alma mater.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: