fordhamfans.com
September 24, 2017, 10:02:47 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Gallery Login Register  

Coach Hurley

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Coach Hurley  (Read 1733 times)
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: April 07, 2017, 12:09:31 pm »

The 1950s just called, they want your views on Catholic education back.

Mt. St. Michaels would like to wish you a very happy Ramadan,  Passover, Tom Cruise's Birthday and of course, a Dali Lama weekend. Must get confusing there.

You can add all the sarcasm that you want.  Some feel its better to pack Catholic high schools with all different religious groups or non religious students to keep the schools open. Others like me feel that they should be practicing their mission, especially at the Diocesan level, being tied in to the churches within a particular diocese. Populations change. Why continue to jam round pegs into square holes just to keep a school open?
« Last Edit: April 07, 2017, 12:34:27 pm by 85 » Report Spam   Logged
98ramgrad
Freshman

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 07, 2017, 12:41:42 pm »

I ask purely out of curiosity, but what do struggling catholic schools like St. anthonys, rice, power. brooklyn prep, do to close that a school like regis does to stay open?  I mean regis covers the cost of every kid>  The costs must be astronomical.  I will hangup and listen.
Report Spam   Logged
tuckertomm
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 07, 2017, 01:14:40 pm »

Sell Indulgences Evil
Report Spam   Logged
NYRam07
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 07, 2017, 01:24:12 pm »

I ask purely out of curiosity, but what do struggling catholic schools like St. anthonys, rice, power. brooklyn prep, do to close that a school like regis does to stay open?  I mean regis covers the cost of every kid>  The costs must be astronomical.  I will hangup and listen.

The quality of the education is as good as it gets and people are willing to pay (read donate) for it. My cousin finished the bottom of his class at Regis and received a partial scholarship at Holy Cross. Great education + free tuition... you have the best students lining up to go there and many of them come from a lot of money. 
Report Spam   Logged
friarsbob1
Freshman

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 07, 2017, 01:29:53 pm »

Harsh is an understatement.

Excellent post!
+1000
Report Spam   Logged
JCMB
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 07, 2017, 01:40:00 pm »

I am more than fine with you posting it, and I think you picked the most logical place. Mostly I am just saying that I do not know if we have a perfect spot for it. What you posted was about a HS closing, so not sure it is truly sports talk, but I thought it was fine.

Yes, I was only posting it because Chris Gaston and Jio Fontan went there and some other talented players came through there who made it pretty big.  Also, many messages on this board have been devoted to the Hurleys so I thought people would be interested.  I saw it as more than just a high school closing since their basketball program was what made them famous.
Report Spam   Logged
Vinseiro2
Freshman

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 07, 2017, 01:40:28 pm »

The issues confronting Catholic HS in the inner cities today are so different than those of the suburban Catholic HS.  Just not understanding the animosity towards a man who could have made multiples of his salary at the collegiate level but instead chose to stay at the school and the program he built from scratch? 

I mentor students at my HS, The Mount, and the issues they and the school face are so different from the Iona Preps, Chaminades and St. Anthony's/LI of the world. The school subsidizes a large part of each student's tuition but does not have the access to the wealth that these other schools have. For the parents of these kids it is indeed a sacrifice to send them to the school.  I applaud Coach Hurley for his dedication to providing opportunities to not only his players but to other kids who did not play ball for him.

+1.  It's commendable to have not left for greener pastures.  There is more need for such schools and persons in exactly the places where they are closing.  Instead, they inevitably follow the money to wealthier suburbs where they're not as impactful.  Of course, no one person or institution has an obligation to go "above and beyond".  
Report Spam   Logged
Vinseiro2
Freshman

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 07, 2017, 01:42:41 pm »

Greater good is fine. Does the Catholic church marry people in Church who are not Catholic? Do we have non Catholic funerals or baptisms? You think its a good idea for Scientologists or Muslin kids or Orthodox Jews to be going to a Catholic high school? What do they do during the weekly mass or the pre-class prayer?  I cant come to school this week because it is Ramadan or Passover or some other religious holy week?

I dont care what someone's religion is or isnt but Catholic school is just that.   If there are not enough practicing Catholics to attend, then either close or simply change your mission to be a private school for all without a diocesan or Catholic affiliation. Populations change, especially in urban areas.   Forcing non Catholics into Catholic schools just to stay open is wayward of the mission of Catholic schools, in my opinion. Im sure many disagree.

For example, the mission statement of Holy Trinity Diocesan HS in Long Island:

"It is the mission of Holy Trinity High School to be a living witness to the Gospel of Jesus Christ as a community of faith, hope and love.  We seek to educate the whole person: mind, heart, soul and body and to motivate all students in the pursuit of truth and academic excellence, preparing them for future educational opportunities and service to the Church and to the world. "

From Mt. St. Michael's Belief statement on it's webpage:

A Catholic school exists first and foremost to spread the Good News of Jesus Christ.

Spreading the Good News and serving as living witnesses is arguably more impactful precisely when the audience is non-practicing. 
Report Spam   Logged
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 07, 2017, 01:57:17 pm »

+1.  It's commendable to have not left for greener pastures.  There is more need for such schools and persons in exactly the places where they are closing.  Instead, they inevitably follow the money to wealthier suburbs where they're not as impactful.  Of course, no one person or institution has an obligation to go "above and beyond".  

How about the fact that the population demographic has changed? If the Muslins and the Indians and the Chinese that now populate these urban areas are not Catholic, of course enrollment will be down. it s nothing that the schools have done wrong, its natural attrition and turnover. Spare me the rich kids versus poor kids argument. If the population in the area has a rapidly declining Catholic population then the enrollment at Catholic schools is going to go down considerably.
Report Spam   Logged
Vinseiro2
Freshman

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 07, 2017, 02:30:09 pm »

How about the fact that the population demographic has changed? If the Muslins and the Indians and the Chinese that now populate these urban areas are not Catholic, of course enrollment will be down. it s nothing that the schools have done wrong, its natural attrition and turnover. Spare me the rich kids versus poor kids argument. If the population in the area has a rapidly declining Catholic population then the enrollment at Catholic schools is going to go down considerably.

You're correct that these schools are generally less attractive where the Catholic population has shrunk.  However, I know of several neighborhoods in The Bronx where the Catholic population may have actually risen with the influx of folks from Latin America.  The finances apparently just don't work out, so the school shuts down. Then there are the exclusive Catholic schools with purposely low enrollment who cater to a monied crowd.     
Report Spam   Logged
RickFC77
Junior

Where was Lembo when I needed him?

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: April 07, 2017, 02:50:54 pm »

Regis is a different animal altogether.  It has always been tuition free, you need to pass an entrance examination and it has a tremendous reputation.
Report Spam   Logged

“Hail men of Fordham hail."
RickFC77
Junior

Where was Lembo when I needed him?

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: April 07, 2017, 02:59:13 pm »

Spreading the Good News and serving as living witnesses is arguably more impactful precisely when the audience is non-practicing. 

+1  The students I have had the pleasure to work with are not viewed as "square pegs" (no disrespect to the TV show) trying to fit into "round holes", but young men being taught Catholic values and principals that they hopefully carry with them throughout their lives.
Report Spam   Logged

“Hail men of Fordham hail."
Fordham Lurker
Sophomore

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: April 07, 2017, 08:06:04 pm »

Regis is a different animal altogether.  It has always been tuition free, you need to pass an entrance examination and it has a tremendous reputation.

Plus, Regis has a $70 million endowment -- more than many colleges.  Interest on the endowment funds everything.
Report Spam   Logged
klb75119
Waterboy

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: April 07, 2017, 08:53:18 pm »

The Regis endowment doesnt begin to cover the annual operating expenses. The school is dependent on alumni contributions to cover the nut. My golden jubilee class (1966) donated over $400,000 last year. You pay your own tuition but only many years later!!
Report Spam   Logged
An Old Coach
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: April 08, 2017, 09:29:12 am »

+1  The students I have had the pleasure to work with are not viewed as "square pegs" (no disrespect to the TV show) trying to fit into "round holes", but young men being taught Catholic values and principals that they hopefully carry with them throughout their lives.

You would be hard pressed to find an urban school anywhere that does about job with young men than Mount St. Michael.  I know the school very well and they've stayed to their mission while their enrollment over the years has gone from all Italian and Irish kids to Hispanic and African American.  They just keep churning out great young men and what many people would think of as a disproportionate amount of super high achievers.  The place is as good as an example as you can find as to why Catholic schools work.
Report Spam   Logged
An Old Coach
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: April 08, 2017, 09:33:42 am »

Actually it is. That is why it has been on the verge of closing for at least 5 years.

No, they are closing because they are tuition dependent and that just doesn't work when the Diocese cuts its subsidies.  It's about outcomes and St. Anthony's did got kids through high school and into college and productive lives.  They used basketball as a vehicle to keep the school visible.
Report Spam   Logged
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: April 08, 2017, 09:39:58 am »

Well. lets see. A diocese is made up of Catholic Parishes. Funded by Catholics. So if these school are becoming increasingly non-Catholic then why should they be subsidized by the dioceses if the students/families are not members of a parish? How can you not get that.
Report Spam   Logged
An Old Coach
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: April 08, 2017, 09:43:28 am »

I totally get it.  That doesn't mean they should be disparaged.  Their time just ran out.  They transformed a lot of lives of kids who most likely never would have gotten on path to a productive life.  Not bad...
Report Spam   Logged
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: April 08, 2017, 09:52:39 am »

I dont like the Hurleys because of how they act while coaching. Not because of anything related to the church.

And for some reason for the past 20 years every possible opportunity to suggest a Hurley coming to Fordham is posted. Bob will be 90 years old and someone will say, we should hire him.
Report Spam   Logged
An Old Coach
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: April 08, 2017, 09:55:54 am »

I dont like the Hurleys because of how they act while coaching. Not because of anything related to the church.

And for some reason for the past 20 years every possible opportunity to suggest a Hurley coming to Fordham is posted.

Lombardi was coming back from the dead before a Hurley was coming to Fordham.  Anyone with a grasp of reality knew that.  He was going to take over from Bobby Crimmons!
Report Spam   Logged
vinnys
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: April 08, 2017, 10:30:17 am »

Gov. Christie is now involved, imploring the four major sports leagues to kick in $125,000 each

brings back memories of when Fordham Prep was in danger of closing
Report Spam   Logged
An Old Coach
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: April 08, 2017, 10:35:17 am »

That's not the answer.  The school needs to become private.  The Diocese doesn't want to operate it. 
Report Spam   Logged
John
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: April 08, 2017, 10:43:49 am »

That's not the answer.  The school needs to become private.  The Diocese doesn't want to operate it. 

Probably correct. I'm watching the NY Archdiocese slowly starve a high school close to where I live. The neighborhood demographics haven't changed, private Catholic schools are doing fine, but this particular school is falling down as you watch.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: