fordhamfans.com
April 26, 2017, 05:55:49 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Gallery Login Register  

Make your voice heard

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Make your voice heard  (Read 661 times)
Chaka001
Junior

View Profile
« on: April 06, 2017, 04:18:52 pm »

Last week I actually got a call from the Fordham Development office.  And No it wasn't directed to solicit money, it was to respond to my response back from the University emailing me to give money to the 175 year campaign. Like most of you, I received an email asking to donate to the campaign to underwrite Financial Aid.  I simply replied to the email stating that until Fordham decides to develop a capital plan to address athletics, I will not give to this campaign.  I requested that someone call me and to my shock someone actually did.  Thsi was maybe the 3rd time I responded to one of these emails so I was surprised to hear from Fordham being the other two responses fell on deaf ears. 

So I had a 20 minute conversation with the woman asking me to explain my viewpoints.  In a nutshell, I explained to her that:
- I was disappointed in the state of our athletics department and that essentially nothing has changed in decades.
- There has been no capital campaign for athletics
Applications are at an all- time high at Villanova, they are renovations the pavilion, they are building a new parking garage and make significant capital improvements to their campus every year.
- I explained the benefits of a successful athletic department and what residual benefits can come from a strategic plan (Nova, Gtown, BC, Gonzaga, etc. - made sure to reference other like schools)
- I appreciated the improved school rankings
- I had hoped the ROI is there for the hundreds of millions that went into the LC campus.

That the being said she mentioned the $2.5 campaign and I told her:
- That is not a campaign
- That it was a joke and an embarrassment to the university
- Frank should not be recognized, as we should not recognize and praise failure.
- That our facilities are exceptionally antiquated and need to be updated and do not provide a solid experience for students and student athletes
- I told her that Coach Moorhead was the only coach to every call me since my graduation and how displeased he was about facilities.  I told her that Coach said he is tired of "Lipstack on a pg" capital improvements.

They need to start a massive campaign to fund the following all in one encompassing campaign:
Student center, Arena, Stadium with track, new Athletic Department/offices/student areas and a better Rec Center.
- I told her the support will be there but only if the strategic plan is legitimate. 
- I told her I would increase my annual giving at least 5x times, assuming the plan made sense.
- I told her my amount is peanuts compared to large donors that will contribute, especially with naming rights on well publicized buildings that attract heavy usage (student center, rec center, arena and stadium)   
- Residual financial benefits for hosting concerts as well as improving recruiting efforts to sign top local talent that would actually be impressed to play in new facilities.

I suggested that she reach out to Michael O'Neill (director of Development at Villanova and a Fordham Alum) and George Kolb (athletic development at Nova who worked at Fordham and many years under Roach)

I told her it is well within reason to conduct a legitimate campaign and it is long overdue.  I closed by saying that I would be happy to meet with Father McShane and/or the BOT at anytime. So although I did not get a confirmation on my request, at least I did not hear any laughter on the other end of the phone.   

I would encourage everyone to respond to emails and phone campaigns.  Tell them how you feel and ask what you can do to help, it sure can't hurt. 

Report Spam   Logged

Social Buttons

An Old Coach
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2017, 05:12:13 pm »

Well done.  You did good, kid!
Report Spam   Logged
alanccrx
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2017, 05:21:39 pm »

Excellent and then some!!!!  Sadly, I feel it will be like howling in the wild...no one there to hear...
Report Spam   Logged
NYRam07
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2017, 05:38:23 pm »

What was her response to the Frank crap? I'd like to know..
Report Spam   Logged
joeb
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2017, 05:40:03 pm »

Great Job!
Report Spam   Logged
Fordham Road
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2017, 05:40:30 pm »

waste of time probably spoke to outsourced agent- same ones that call me.
Report Spam   Logged
joeb
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2017, 06:36:03 pm »

waste of time probably spoke to outsourced agent- same ones that call me.
Probably a call center in Bombay
Report Spam   Logged
friarsbob1
Freshman

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2017, 02:32:00 pm »

Great job. I would have added Science Center and endowment to the all encompassing list.
Report Spam   Logged
xtey92a
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2017, 08:02:13 am »

The call center in New Brunswick or Idaho likely wrote everything down and sent it to the development folk. Nothing else will happen.

This summer is my Jubilee, I will not be giving any money until I see some improvement.

Report Spam   Logged

#ProudToBeARam

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: