fordhamfans.com
December 16, 2017, 11:23:53 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Gallery Login Register  

Moorhead ESPN / Fordham & Power 5 mention

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Moorhead ESPN / Fordham & Power 5 mention  (Read 2093 times)
PeterMartin08
Senior

View Profile
« on: April 12, 2017, 01:16:59 pm »

@BennettESPN
Assuming PSU has another great season, where does Joe Moorehead end up? Think it is a power 5 (or ND) type of job or something else?
6:22 PM - 11 Apr 2017

Brian Bennett: Unlike other coordinators, Joe Moorhead actually has head-coaching experience.
And he was highly successful at it, albeit at a lower level (Fordham).

That might make him an even more attractive candidate for a school looking for a head coach next winter. Yet landing at a place like Notre Dame seems like a bit of a stretch. It's still fairly rare for coordinators with no strong ties to a school to suddenly become head coaches at traditional powers. Instead, I'd look to the paths of a couple of other Big Ten coordinators who were hot commodities: Tom Herman, who took over at Houston before eventually getting the Texas gig, and Pat Narduzzi, who was hired by Pitt. Think mid- to low-tier Power 5 jobs or a strong Group of 5 program.

Of course, it also depends heavily on what jobs come open and how the carousel spins. But I'd love to be Moorhead's agent after another season with Trace McSorley and Saquon Barkley.
Report Spam   Logged

Any other team wins the World Series, good for them. They're drinking champagne, they get a ring. But if we win, on our budget, with this team... we'll have changed the game. And that's what I want. I want it to mean something. - Moneyball

Social Buttons

The Grinch
Freshman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2017, 01:20:10 pm »

Don't get too excited he still has to beat OSU away and then take on Michigan. 
Report Spam   Logged
98ramgrad
Freshman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2017, 01:28:19 pm »

HE could revive BC if he wanted.
Report Spam   Logged
RamAlum13
Freshman

lord i was born a ramblin man

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2017, 02:44:53 pm »

What "coaching tree" does Moorhead fit into? Is there one?
Report Spam   Logged
xtey92a
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2017, 06:03:31 pm »

Can They are Penn State offer an incentive to keep him?
Report Spam   Logged

#GoRamsGo!
Scott W 86
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2017, 10:32:57 pm »

For the next few years Joe will have two types of choices......

*Good
*Great

It should be fun for us to watch what he does.

If asked about a coaching tree.... If I'm him I say "Lombardi" ... wink, and move on to talk about my offense
Report Spam   Logged
Madram
Sophomore

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2017, 07:21:08 am »

Too many coaches jump into a bad situation just to be a head coach. He can stay in happy valley make over a million bucks a year and wait for Franklin to Jump onto the NFL. I see this as a chip Kelly / Oregon situation. If the penn state offense continues to drop 35 plus points a game and they continue to win big , I see Franklin in the NFL and JM named head coach at penn state. Unless it's a no brainer job for Jm to take , he should stay at penn state .
Report Spam   Logged
shortshot
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2017, 12:29:17 pm »

Too many coaches jump into a bad situation just to be a head coach. He can stay in happy valley make over a million bucks a year and wait for Franklin to Jump onto the NFL. I see this as a chip Kelly / Oregon situation. If the penn state offense continues to drop 35 plus points a game and they continue to win big , I see Franklin in the NFL and JM named head coach at penn state. Unless it's a no brainer job for Jm to take , he should stay at penn state .
Agree. Was thinking the same thing but didn't know how long it might take for Franklin to move on. Seems like Joe is well liked at Penn State.
Report Spam   Logged
An Old Coach
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2017, 01:11:24 pm »

Agree. Was thinking the same thing but didn't know how long it might take for Franklin to move on. Seems like Joe is well liked at Penn State.

I don't know that Franklin is going anywhere anytime soon.  There's no place left to go in the college game from Penn State and I'm not so sure he's going to be a hot commodity for the pros.
Report Spam   Logged
JohnG92
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2017, 06:40:58 pm »

I don't know that Franklin is going anywhere anytime soon.  There's no place left to go in the college game from Penn State and I'm not so sure he's going to be a hot commodity for the pros.

+1 - what value does he add to the pro game? 
Report Spam   Logged
Chaka001
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2017, 10:21:54 am »

Franklin is not going to the NFL.  The guys was on the warm seat prior to last year.  Even if he wanted to go pro what is the added advantage?  These coaches at big time program are making serious coin, $4-$7 Mil for the well known and successful program.  Franklin will ride it out in Happy Valley as long as the fan base is still happy with him.

The strength coach at Iowa makes obscene cash, at or close to a mil.

PSU will likley be a Top 10 program in 2017 and maybe the same in 2018.  Moorhead's stock will rise further after 2017 and maybe again in 2018.   So if there is a good gig available, he will be a top candidate after thsi or the follwoing season and will likley bolt then for the right situation.

Coach set himself up for success in making the move to PSU.  First year was great and this and the next look even better.  Think about it.  If he nails down a 5 year $2-$5 Mil gig, he is set for life and then some.  He will get one, the only questions that remain is where and when.  I am happy for him.

BTW, most PSU fans don't like Franklin.

Report Spam   Logged
RamAlum13
Freshman

lord i was born a ramblin man

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2017, 11:40:52 am »

BTW, most PSU fans don't like Franklin.

I may have an incomplete view of the situation but as someone with a few ties to PSU, I was under the impression that most of the fans that dislike Franklin are still paterno guys
Report Spam   Logged
PA Ram
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2017, 04:11:37 pm »

Chaka, I agree with your overall post but disagree that PSU fans do not like him.  He rubbed people the wrong way by appearing to be all sizzle and no steak, especially following the lunch-box mentality of O'Brien before him, which a lot of donors and alums liked.  Winning cures all, though, and the fan base is fully behind him after this past season's success.  He won while still doing things like suspending kids for key games which I think really earned everyone's respect and he also let go of some long time assistants who weren't getting things done and brought in guys like Joe or their DC who he upgraded from LB coach.  Long-short, he's as solid as you can be right now imo.  I agree, though, he's not going anywhere.  He's just not an NFL guy imo.  I'm not sure what kind of coach he is but he's a heck of a recruiter.  If he's smart enough to bring guys like Joe in, he'll be there for a while. 

Back to Joe, I also agree with madram's overall point in that Joe doesn't need to go anywhere.  This offense should be prolific ala Fordham year 2 imo and he will also have one, possibly two, Heisman candidates going with RB Barkley among the pre-season favorites.  Similar to Fordham, he could have a lifetime(ish) like gig at PSU if he wanted to stay and make a ton of dough doing it while raising his family close to where he grew up.  Pretty sweet deal although I'm sure there are select spots that would attract him enough to jump at them. 

Given the money Purdue just put into their facilities I actually thought he may have jumped there.  I think it will really take a special opportunity where the school shows they're fully committed to turning things around wherever he ends up going.  I don't think it's going to be a school already knocking it out of the park where Joe would be hired to maintain some sort of already-there, elite continuity.  Just my .02.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2017, 10:55:20 am by PA Ram » Report Spam   Logged
Scott W 86
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2017, 07:13:12 pm »

..... most of the fans that dislike Franklin are still paterno guys

If you see any of these 'guys,'  don't approach them yourself. 

Call the State College PA Child Welfare office at (814)355-6755
Report Spam   Logged
xtey92a
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2017, 09:05:32 pm »

If you see any of these 'guys,'  don't approach them yourself. 

Call the State College PA Child Welfare office at (814)355-6755

They may be armed, as are most folks in Pennsyltucky.
Report Spam   Logged

#GoRamsGo!
Chaka001
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2017, 09:13:54 am »

PA Ram,
I think that is fairly accurate.  Yes winning does cure all but there is no doubt that Franklin was on the warm seat.  I do believe if last year did not fare well, he either would have been on the hot seat this year or possibly even let go.  I think he would have gotten at least this year, but this is all a moot point.  I do think he made some changes in coordinators as he needed to find a pseudo scapegoat for the not so stellar results.  He made a great hire in Moorhead and yes I think Franklin will buy time as they had a great last year and the next two years with tons of returning starters almost asures big time success this and next year.  That will line him up for a big time extension.

The guy can recruit and that is his strength.  I just am not a fan as he is way too animated for me and comes across as a cheerleader.  I like the fire, but feel much of it is an act but he sold himself on the job.  Hey if you can be recruiter, leader and be smart enough to hire great coordinators and coaches you will do well, so I think he will get an extension in a year or two and I honestly believe he has no intentions on going anywhere. 

I do think O'Neil was the right coach at the right time following the Paterno debacle and that help give the program a new foundation.  I just hope they get the side show circus finally resolved as I am not digging my take dollars being consumed in the courtroom and payouts. 

As for Coach Moorhead, yes he could stay put and lives happily ever after in Happy Valley which is not so bad as he will be making in a cool mil without the pressure of being the head coach.  He may opt for this route, but assuming the right job come sup in the next year or too as his stck will be at an all-time high, I say he bolts.  The opportunity will be too good to pass up, something like a Purdue situation.  Bottom line bit he and Penn Sates are in a good spot right now.

Report Spam   Logged
Touchdown17
Sophomore

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2017, 02:01:08 pm »

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/20379380/penn-state-nittany-lions-coach-james-franklin-gets-lucrative-new-six-year-deal

Penn State gives new deal to James Franklin worth $5.73M per season    Franklin's deal will total $34.3 million over its six years.

I hope Coach M  gets bump too.   Grin     man that's big money..       will Joe get offered a HC position   (Power 5) next year?  Maybe  ND ?      I guess could sit tight in Happy Valley  make ~1.5mm (a guess) for the next 6 years)   ..   Although I think that's not his goal.   
Report Spam   Logged
NYRam07
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2017, 03:31:24 pm »

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/20379380/penn-state-nittany-lions-coach-james-franklin-gets-lucrative-new-six-year-deal

Penn State gives new deal to James Franklin worth $5.73M per season    Franklin's deal will total $34.3 million over its six years.

I hope Coach M  gets bump too.   Grin     man that's big money..       will Joe get offered a HC position   (Power 5) next year?  Maybe  ND ?      I guess could sit tight in Happy Valley  make ~1.5mm (a guess) for the next 6 years)   ..   Although I think that's not his goal.   

Guess this settles the Franklin debate... at least for now...
Report Spam   Logged
Madram
Sophomore

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2017, 07:53:59 am »

Franklin gets 35 million bucks over 6 years . I guess those pennstate fans must be pretty upset because " they don't like him" according to our inside sources here on fordhamfans.. I mean why would you like a coach that has revived a program who many thought would be dead .. brought them to a rose bowl won the big 10 and continues to recruit top level talent..
Report Spam   Logged
JohnG92
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2017, 07:01:29 pm »

Franklin gets 35 million bucks over 6 years.

College athletics has become insane.  I keep waiting for the system to collapse - there is so much content now no one can possibly pay attention to all of it to move the needle ratings wise- I must be thinking about it wrong because it hasn't collapsed.

How this is still a "non-profit" business blows my mind.
Report Spam   Logged
An Old Coach
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2017, 07:24:01 am »

College athletics has become insane.  I keep waiting for the system to collapse - there is so much content now no one can possibly pay attention to all of it to move the needle ratings wise- I must be thinking about it wrong because it hasn't collapsed.

Couldn't agree more although I'd add there are a number of sectors in higher education that you can question if they deserve to be considered not for profit. 
Report Spam   Logged
Ram 91
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2017, 10:08:50 am »

Good article in the WSJ the other day by Jason Gay in the Saturday Essay.  The college athletic facility (read: football) scene has become completely outlandish.  Water slides, mini golf, you name it.  I can't help but think that those players in these "money" conferences who don't make the NFL will be in for a rude awakening when their playing days are over, whether they have earned a degree or not.

I hear about paying players, and I've always been opposed.  But if the alternative is throwing ridiculous perks around that push them farther away from reality, maybe there's a place for it.  Make it a job.  College pays you, deducts the cost of education, room and board, withholds your taxes, you keep whatever is left over.  Oh, and you still have to go to class and make grades otherwise you lose your "job".  And when it comes to the various incidents we've all seen, ranging from the distasteful to the outright criminal, you are an employee of the college and can get fired from it, same as the guy who pushes paper in the bursar's office.  Long way from perfect and completely unrealistic, but more honest than the current situation.
Report Spam   Logged
JohnG92
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2017, 01:14:58 pm »

Couldn't agree more although I'd add there are a number of sectors in higher education that you can question if they deserve to be considered not for profit. 

agree as well. I don't see how this fits within a non-profit enterprise any longer.
Report Spam   Logged
JohnG92
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 20, 2017, 01:29:46 pm »

Maybe there should be a rule that 25% of athletic profit generated be directed toward reducing the cost of college for lower income students who aren't getting an athletic scholarship. That contribution comes first.  This would apply as well to any donations to athletics regardless of purpose (capital construction).

this directive would also apply to any other revenue producing activities not otherwise reinvested in the university to assist with its operating costs or financial aid offerings.
Report Spam   Logged
DamnRam
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 21, 2017, 08:30:49 am »

Maybe there should be a rule that 25% of athletic profit generated be directed toward reducing the cost of college for lower income students who aren't getting an athletic scholarship. That contribution comes first.  This would apply as well to any donations to athletics regardless of purpose (capital construction).

this directive would also apply to any other revenue producing activities not otherwise reinvested in the university to assist with its operating costs or financial aid offerings.

I think the profitable power conferences could come back and say that all of their profits are going back to help the school with non-athletic things.  Whether their profits are ear-marked for aid of course I don't know.
Report Spam   Logged
xtey92a
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 21, 2017, 08:49:23 am »

You try to be the first Politician to take on the NCAA, and every flagship school in each state. Won't happen.
Report Spam   Logged

#GoRamsGo!
Chaka001
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 22, 2017, 09:07:54 am »

Franklin gets 35 million bucks over 6 years . I guess those pennstate fans must be pretty upset because " they don't like him" according to our inside sources here on fordhamfans.. I mean why would you like a coach that has revived a program who many thought would be dead .. brought them to a rose bowl won the big 10 and continues to recruit top level talent..

That's OK madram, you can mention my name. I am a big boy so I can take it.

Franklin is a good recruiter that is his specialty and lets face it without talent you don't win many games, so to his credit he is a good recruiter.  On the other hand he is a terrible game day coach and is a rah rah cheerleader, which is well known by those who follow PSU Football. Prior to last year he was on the warm seat and to some even on the hot deal.  Many alums and supporters were expecting a turning point in the program and fortunately it happened.  A big part of that was Franklin scooping up Moorhead.  He needed someone who could call plays.  I know folks on the inside at PSU and Moorhead was given full reign of the offense.  You can see evidence of this as you see the games.  Franklin was ga ga over Moorhead in the Rose Bowl as Moorhead stuck gold on several big plays.  His actions were kind of embarrassing for a head coach.  Basically Franklin put all his chips in the pot betting on Moorhead and he won, hence the contract extension.  If Moorhead did not produce Franklin was gone.

Again, I give Franklin credit for his recruiting and being smart enough that he cant call play and outsourced that to his hot shot OC.  On the other hand, he is still a rah-rah incomplete coach, albeit a rich one.  As for those saying he would go NFL, please tell me why.  Franklin is a PA guys at one of the elite college coaching gigs and gets paid a ton of money.  He knew he predecessor did the hard work and attracting kids who could play and get past the Paterno debacle. Everyone knows this was a year rebuild program and he knew the heft lifting was done before him by Reilly.    PSU has been a solid program and will always be a solid program and to make up rumors that Frankliin is going to the NFL is idiotic.  He will ride it out in Happy valley as long as he can.   

Report Spam   Logged
Scott W 86
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 22, 2017, 11:10:38 am »

Franklin is a good recruiter that is his specialty and lets face it without talent you don't win many games, so to his credit he is a good recruiter.  On the other hand he is a terrible game day coach and is a rah rah cheerleader, which is well known by those who follow PSU Football. Prior to last year he was on the warm seat and to some even on the hot deal.  Many alums and supporters were expecting a turning point in the program and fortunately it happened.  A big part of that was Franklin scooping up Moorhead.  He needed someone who could call plays.  I know folks on the inside at PSU and Moorhead was given full reign of the offense.  You can see evidence of this as you see the games.  Franklin was ga ga over Moorhead in the Rose Bowl as Moorhead stuck gold on several big plays.  His actions were kind of embarrassing for a head coach.  Basically Franklin put all his chips in the pot betting on Moorhead and he won, hence the contract extension.  If Moorhead did not produce Franklin was gone.

Again, I give Franklin credit for his recruiting and being smart enough that he cant call play and outsourced that to his hot shot OC.  On the other hand, he is still a rah-rah incomplete coach, albeit a rich one.  As for those saying he would go NFL, please tell me why.  Franklin is a PA guys at one of the elite college coaching gigs and gets paid a ton of money.  He knew he predecessor did the hard work and attracting kids who could play and get past the Paterno debacle. Everyone knows this was a year rebuild program and he knew the heft lifting was done before him by Reilly.    PSU has been a solid program and will always be a solid program and to make up rumors that Frankliin is going to the NFL is idiotic.  He will ride it out in Happy valley as long as he can.   

Chaka  ... credit to you for being fair to Franklin after seeing what he's accomplished.  Including the top things a college coach does .... recruit and hire great coordinators and coaches..

They are #6 in the AP preseason poll.

It seems the biggest faults you still lay on him are ...".. he's  still a rah-rah, incomplete coach..."    If I'm the AD and that's the truth about my young, winning coach, I could live with it.  I'll keep winning while he slowly becomes more complete.

Happy Valley indeed   Grin
Report Spam   Logged
xtey92a
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 22, 2017, 11:16:53 am »

I think He's better off staying. He's from PA, so Coach has a good quality of Life.
Report Spam   Logged

#GoRamsGo!
Madram
Sophomore

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 27, 2017, 02:29:57 pm »

Ok , you and the rest of your "inside sources "at PSU are morons" ok that's it! Franklin took Vanderbilt to 10 wins and took penn state to a big ten championship. A "bad game day coach/rah rah guy" doesn't do that. An "incomplete coach? Why because he doesn't All offensive plays? Another stupid assessment by you. That's why people hire offensive and defensive coordinators. Whos your definition of a complete coach? Kliff Kingsburry? He calls plays scores 40 but his team gives up 50 and he will be out of a job at the end of the season.  Great Head coaches are CEOs they hire great coaches, bring in great talent , they motivate and their players execute and they WIN!

What are saban , Dabo, bellicheck? Rah rah guys also?
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: