fordhamfans.com
May 28, 2017, 06:13:11 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Gallery Login Register  

Sengfelder to Boise st

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sengfelder to Boise st  (Read 2753 times)
Ramer
Freshman

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: April 15, 2017, 07:34:15 pm »

I concur, Joe.
Report Spam   Logged
John
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 15, 2017, 10:21:07 pm »

No matter how you dice it, it does not say much for JN or the Fordham BB program, sad to say.  C Sengfelder is a very bright guy, had close to 4.0 GPA, I believe, and completed his business degree in three years, while playing on the BB team, and English is his second language! That's quite an accomplishment.  All things considered, I would have preferred to see him at Duke or UNC Chapel Hill, etc. not only for the BB but the academics as well. BSU should be a breeze for him. But he will always be a Fordham man and I am sure he will be a terrific representative of Fordham in all his future endeavors.  I hope he has good memories and sentiments toward Fordham.

I'm sure he will. He obviously has both academic and basketball interests and goals, and while Fordham was apparently a good fit for his academic goals, it is not well-suited for his basketball goals, which include playing in an NCAA tournament. Lately, Boise State has made the Dance every other year; Fordham, once in 46 seasons. Our last trip to the NIT was over a quarter century ago, for heaven's sake.  In this regard, I wish our administration had the practical clear-eyed view of the collegiate athletic landscape that Christian does. They continue to stand pat, hoping for lightning to strike again, 1971-style. It hasn't happened and, frankly, it isn't going to. It's a sucker bet the Administration keeps taking year after year after year. One had hoped that view would change after Frank left the AD's job, but it will take a change at the top, obviously.
Report Spam   Logged
xtey92a
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 16, 2017, 12:11:25 am »

No matter how you dice it, it does not say much for JN or the Fordham BB program, sad to say.  C Sengfelder is a very bright guy, had close to 4.0 GPA, I believe, and completed his business degree in three years, while playing on the BB team, and English is his second language! That's quite an accomplishment.  All things considered, I would have preferred to see him at Duke or UNC Chapel Hill, etc. not only for the BB but the academics as well. BSU should be a breeze for him. But he will always be a Fordham man and I am sure he will be a terrific representative of Fordham in all his future endeavors.  I hope he has good memories and sentiments toward Fordham.
With those grades, he could have gotten into any MBA or Biz program. Perhaps a transfer into a better grad program after his eligibility expires. He'll do well in life.

Report Spam   Logged

#GoRamsGo!
Madram
Freshman

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 16, 2017, 08:30:21 am »

I would have preferred to see him at Duke or UNC Chapel Hill, etc. not only for the BB but the academics as well. BSU should be a breeze for him. But he will always be a Fordham man and I am sure he will be a terrific representative of Fordham in all his future endeavors.  I hope he has good memories and sentiments toward Fordham.
[/quote]

What are you smoking? Duke or North Carolina? Last I checked, those programs win national championships consistently and it's not by recruiting below average 5th year Atlantic 10 players. He wouldn't carry towels for Unc or duke
Report Spam   Logged
Kaup
Freshman

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 16, 2017, 07:01:55 pm »

What are you smoking? Duke or North Carolina? Last I checked, those programs win national championships consistently and it's not by recruiting below average 5th year Atlantic 10 players. He wouldn't carry towels for Unc or duke
What are you smoking?  You've been calling Sengfelder a fifth year player since news of his intention to transfer broke, but he's only been here for three years.
Report Spam   Logged
Bay Ridge
Freshman

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 16, 2017, 07:29:30 pm »

Madram - If CS stayed and continued his three year pace , he would have approached the top 10 level in school scoring and mid teens in rebounding. Who on our current roster do you think are average or above average A-10 talent. JC ?
Happy Easter everyone.
Report Spam   Logged
drunkle
Freshman

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 17, 2017, 11:44:50 am »

I would have preferred to see him at Duke or UNC Chapel Hill, etc. not only for the BB but the academics as well. BSU should be a breeze for him. But he will always be a Fordham man and I am sure he will be a terrific representative of Fordham in all his future endeavors.  I hope he has good memories and sentiments toward Fordham.

If Tony Bradley goes NBA (he said he will test the waters but might not hire an agent), and Kevin Knox doesn't sign with the Heels (he's down to 5 teams), then Sengfelder would probably get some run with the Heels.  Otherwise they are left with the tallest returning player being undersized 4 Luke Maye (6'7") and two 6'9" recruits who are not consensus top 100 guys.  Sterling Manley (composite rank 261) and Brandon Huffman (composite rank 203).  Pinson at 6'6" can also play 4 in a pinch.  No weeping for them, of course, but I'd wager Sengfelder would get 7 or 8 minutes a game for that team.  Of course, they could always find another grad transfer if they have to.  Their last one was Justin Knox in 2010-11 who had averaged 6 ppg and 4 rpg roughly at Alabama.       
« Last Edit: April 17, 2017, 02:32:29 pm by drunkle » Report Spam   Logged
Rich93
Class of 93
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 17, 2017, 02:35:49 pm »

Sorry Drunkle, but anyone using Sengfelder and UNC in the same sentence has lost his mind.  There is no scenario that would get him on that team short of their moving to the Atlantic 10.  The reports of these cant miss opportunities were overblown.  He is at Boise State where he will be on a team competing against Nevada and Colorado St. for the automatic bid and they may get an at large.  Makes more sense for him to go there than Anderson to UCONN, so there is that. 
Report Spam   Logged

WINNING MATTERS
drunkle
Freshman

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 17, 2017, 03:09:02 pm »

Sorry Drunkle, but anyone using Sengfelder and UNC in the same sentence has lost his mind.  There is no scenario that would get him on that team short of their moving to the Atlantic 10.  The reports of these cant miss opportunities were overblown.  He is at Boise State where he will be on a team competing against Nevada and Colorado St. for the automatic bid and they may get an at large.  Makes more sense for him to go there than Anderson to UCONN, so there is that. 

Well, having followed both teams quite closely, I stand by what I said, although I'll add a caveat.  They will probably find a grad transfer who offers more rim protection than sengfelder.

They are losing Hicks and Meeks to graduation.  Bradley may be a one and done.  Knox has been playing footsie all year and likely will go elsewhere.  So their only guys 6'7" and above are Luke Maye, a slow guy with short arms and no hops (but a good shooter and excellent position rebounder), who is 6'7", and 2 recruits who are outside the top 200.  They will absolutely need more size if Bradley leaves and Knox goes elsewhere.

Now, Garrison Brooks de-committed from Mississippi St., and Jeremiah Tilmon de-committed from Illinois.  They at one point had the Heels on their lists.  But now it looks like they are likely to go elsewhere.  There may be other late signing possibilities but none I have heard of.

That leaves grad transfers.  I could see them favoring other guys over Sengfelder, if they are available.  But as it stands they need someone with size who can bang and give them foul trouble relief.  I'm not saying he'd star for them.  But if they lose Bradley and lose out on Knox they will need someone.  They would probably want someone who offers more rim protection than Sengfelder since Maye doesn't offer that.  But as constituted they would find a use for Sengfelder.   The last time they needed a grad transfer was 2010-11.  Justin Knox was 6'9" and had been a 6 ppg and 4 rpg back-up at 'Bama.  He came to the Heels and averaged 4 and 3 in about 10-15 minutes per.  Sengfelder would play less.  Maybe like Luke Maye did in 2016 behind Brice Johnson, Meeks, Hicks and Joel James (maye averaged about 5 minutes per last year).   And believe it or not Sengfelder is better than freshman year Luke Maye.     
Report Spam   Logged
Rich93
Class of 93
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 17, 2017, 03:12:41 pm »

Not remotely close. He was not even all conference in the A-10.  Not athletic enough, not fast enough, not a good enough shooter, wont be able to guard anyone at that level, etc etc. 
Report Spam   Logged

WINNING MATTERS
PeterMartin08
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: April 17, 2017, 03:37:43 pm »

Not remotely close. He was not even all conference in the A-10.  Not athletic enough, not fast enough, not a good enough shooter, wont be able to guard anyone at that level, etc etc. 

Going to agree, again. Sengfelder is a really nice A10 role player, with a throw back 1988 skill-set, but there's good reason my girlfriend said he moves around on the court like a refrigerator. For every trey he'll bang from the wing, he's giving up a lot on the other end of the floor. The wing forwards at New Mexico/UNLV/Air Force will run a clinic in the lane.

PS - If you visit broncosports.com, you'll find Sengfelder as the 'front page' image and news story: http://www.broncosports.com/sports/m-baskbl/bosu-m-baskbl-body.html

"BOISE, Idaho - Boise State menís basketball signed Christian Sengfelder to a Financial Aid Contract, head coach Leon Rice announced Friday...Sengfelder is expected to begin graduate work at Boise State in kinesiology."
Report Spam   Logged

Any other team wins the World Series, good for them. They're drinking champagne, they get a ring. But if we win, on our budget, with this team... we'll have changed the game. And that's what I want. I want it to mean something. - Moneyball
drunkle
Freshman

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: April 17, 2017, 03:56:44 pm »

Going to agree, again. Sengfelder is a really nice A10 role player, with a throw back 1988 skill-set, but there's good reason my girlfriend said he moves around on the court like a refrigerator. For every trey he'll bang from the wing, he's giving up a lot on the other end of the floor. The wing forwards at New Mexico/UNLV/Air Force will run a clinic in the lane.

PS - If you visit broncosports.com, you'll find Sengfelder as the 'front page' image and news story: http://www.broncosports.com/sports/m-baskbl/bosu-m-baskbl-body.html

"BOISE, Idaho - Boise State menís basketball signed Christian Sengfelder to a Financial Aid Contract, head coach Leon Rice announced Friday...Sengfelder is expected to begin graduate work at Boise State in kinesiology."

Yes, but Luke Maye is just as slow and nailed to the floor.  I think Luke Maye is better (and I have been defending Luke on UNC blogs for 2 years, and it wasn't really until the NCAAs this year that he earned some consistent respect).  I'm just saying that if certain things break against UNC a guy like Sengfelder would actually get some PT there.  They only have 10 scholarship guys for next year right now.
Report Spam   Logged
John
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: April 17, 2017, 03:59:52 pm »

Always liked Chris as a player and a person, and I'm not going to start disliking him because he's decided to spend a year surrounded by potatoes and pretty blonde Mormon girls. [Won't he be disappointed, though, when he finds out the Rodeo team guys re the BMOCs]. I'll think he's picked a team and a level where he can have an impact. Hopefully, he gives me a rooting/viewing interest for next year's NCAA tournament (assuming that alma mater doesn't break its quarter-century schneid in that department).
Report Spam   Logged
PeterMartin08
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: April 17, 2017, 04:03:11 pm »

Always liked Chris as a player and a person, and I'm not going to start disliking him because he's decided to spend a year surrounded by potatoes and pretty blonde Mormon girls.

I just came back from Pepperdine...Quickly decided i can compromise on the Mormon component.

I'm going to check my eligibility. Add me to verbalcommits.com by tomorrow morning.
Report Spam   Logged

Any other team wins the World Series, good for them. They're drinking champagne, they get a ring. But if we win, on our budget, with this team... we'll have changed the game. And that's what I want. I want it to mean something. - Moneyball
Rich93
Class of 93
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: April 17, 2017, 04:10:40 pm »

Always liked Chris as a player and a person, and I'm not going to start disliking him because he's decided to spend a year surrounded by potatoes and pretty blonde Mormon girls. [Won't he be disappointed, though, when he finds out the Rodeo team guys re the BMOCs]. I'll think he's picked a team and a level where he can have an impact. Hopefully, he gives me a rooting/viewing interest for next year's NCAA tournament (assuming that alma mater doesn't break its quarter-century schneid in that department).

If our two seniors showed some loyalty and gratitude maybe we could have broken the streak.  If they had vision and guts and saw the end of last year as the beginning of next year maybe they would not be in Idaho or playing 5 minutes a game at UCONN and instead taking a shot at doing something special at the school that gave them their opportunity. 
Report Spam   Logged

WINNING MATTERS
PeterMartin08
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: April 17, 2017, 04:13:27 pm »

If our two seniors showed some loyalty and gratitude maybe we could have broken the streak.  If they had vision and guts and saw the end of last year as the beginning of next year maybe they would not be in Idaho or playing 5 minutes a game at UCONN and instead taking a shot at doing something special at the school that gave them their opportunity. 

straight up, it also shows they weren't boys. Probably fine as teammates, but no connection to get it done together. That says quite a bit to me. It is what it is.
Report Spam   Logged

John
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: April 17, 2017, 05:49:34 pm »

straight up, it also shows they weren't boys. Probably fine as teammates, but no connection to get it done together. That says quite a bit to me. It is what it is.

Who's to say why they left? The coach banged both of them pretty hard for losses late in the season. It's partly the coach's job to sell these guys on the idea of "you come back next year, we could be something really special". If my coach suggests, "you guys are crap, I can do better", then I'm off.

Look, it's pretty clear that not everyone was on the same page with JN by the end of last season. Without allocating blame, that likely helps explain the departures.
Report Spam   Logged
Scott W 86
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: April 17, 2017, 05:53:33 pm »

Who's to say why they left? The coach banged both of them pretty hard for losses late in the season. It's partly the coach's job to sell these guys on the idea of "you come back next year, we could be something really special". If my coach suggests, "you guys are crap, I can do better", then I'm off.

Look, it's pretty clear that not everyone was on the same page with JN by the end of last season. Without allocating blame, that likely helps explain the departures.

John, you must pick only one reason.  Lord knows it can't be multi-dimensional!
Report Spam   Logged
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: April 17, 2017, 06:04:15 pm »

Ok nobody asked so I will. Why is it a financial aid contract and not a scholarship ?
Report Spam   Logged
PeterMartin08
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: April 20, 2017, 02:40:27 pm »

ACC Sports.com:

In an interesting note regarding grad transfers, the student newspaper at Fordham (The Observer) reported in its April 15 issue that Chris Sengfelder would transfer to Wake Forest. Instead, Sengfelder committed to Boise State.

Was Wake Forest close to landing the 6-7, 240-pounder? Since the paper went to print several days before Sengfelder announced his decision, the paper ran with Wake Forest as his destination.
Report Spam   Logged

vinnys
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: April 20, 2017, 05:29:44 pm »

ACC Sports.com:

In an interesting note regarding grad transfers, the student newspaper at Fordham (The Observer) reported in its April 15 issue that Chris Sengfelder would transfer to Wake Forest. Instead, Sengfelder committed to Boise State.

Was Wake Forest close to landing the 6-7, 240-pounder? Since the paper went to print several days before Sengfelder announced his decision, the paper ran with Wake Forest as his destination.

Fake News hits Rose Hill
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: