fordhamfans.com
June 25, 2017, 11:37:28 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Gallery Login Register  

Softball vs UMass 4/14-4/15

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Softball vs UMass 4/14-4/15  (Read 452 times)
txram
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« on: April 14, 2017, 12:40:28 am »

UMass is making a comeback, being 17-17, 6-2, in 2nd place in the A10, 1/2 game behind us.  They'd be tied with us if they played 3 games vs URI instead of just 2.  They don't play as tough an OOC schedule as they used to but they beat Lehigh and had a 1-run game loss to Baylor. 

Their RPI is #162 to our #51.

They hit .254 as a team, but it's their pitching and fielding that has noticeably improved, with a 2.95 ERA, led by Texas freshman Candace Denis' 2.09.  She's also 20/22 in SBs.  They have very little power so they play mostly "small ball".

We play one game Friday in Amherst at 3 pm and 2 on Saturday starting at noon.

http://www.fordhamsports.com/news/2017/4/13/softball-travels-to-massachusetts-for-three-game-set.aspx?path=softball
« Last Edit: April 14, 2017, 02:55:51 pm by txram » Report Spam   Logged

Social Buttons

txram
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2017, 02:54:23 pm »

Aughinbaugh, who has been pitching better lately than Quense, is pitching in this one.  Canessa moves to leadoff, then Mayer and Hughes at the top of the lineup.  Quense is at 1b and Shaw is giving it a try in RF.  Johnston is DP, hitting for Skrepenak (LF).  Hughes is at SS, Mayer at 3b and Storm at 2b.   All have played these positions before, but never at the same time.

With Vergona at .194, Skrepenak at .172 and Storm at .160, there is a big falloff in the offense after the top 4.  Figueroa (.304) isn't playing - injury and day to day.  That's 2 key starters out.

Colleran (2.99 ERA) is pitching for UMass.  I'm sure they are for this series.

In the 1st, Canessa singled, stole 2b, (now 9/9) and moved to 3b on a Mayer groundout.  Hughes' GB FC scored Canessa.  Shaw flied out and Quense struck out for the team-leading 28th time.
Aughinbaugh gave up a single and a double,  but she pitched her way out of it.  Rams up 1-0 after 1.

In the 2nd, Storm was HBP and moved to 3b on a Vergona single.  Vergona was thrown out trying to steal 2b, her first attempt this year.  Storm stayed at 3b and was LOB.
In the bottom half, Hughes made a throwing error at SS.  (Have I said before we miss Van Hoven?)  Aughinginbaugh got the rest in order.  Rams up 1-0 after 2.

In the 3rd, Mayer singled but was LOB.
In the bottom half, Aughinbaugh gave up a double and a walk, committed an error to load the bases then gave up a grand slam to Klee, her first HR this year and only the team's 5th.  Aughinbaugh then hit a batter before getting out #3.  Rams down 4-1 after 3.

In the 4th, we went down in order.
In their half, Aughinbaugh retired the side in order.  Rams down 4-1 after 4.

In the 5th, Vergona walked.  Canessa was HBP.  Mayer hit into a DP. 
Stocks into pitch for Aughinbaugh.  She gave up a single, but that was it.  Rams down 4-1 after 5. 

In the 6th, Quense singled with 2 out, but that was it.
In the bottom half, Stocks gave up a bunt single.  Runner stole 2b.  Opponents are 25/29 in SBs.  A single scored a run.  Rams down 5-1 after 6.

In the 7th, with 1 out, Vergona and Storm singled.  Canessa got an infield single to load the bases.  Mayer walked to score a run.  Hughes hit into a force at home.  Shaw singled home 2 runs.  She now has 50 RBIs.  Quense grounded out to end it.

Rams lose 5-4, go to 30-11, 7-3 and are knocked out of 1st place in the A10.  We're in 3rd now behind UMass and SJU and barely ahead of Dayton.

We got 8 hits and made 2 errors.  Vergona and Canessa each had 2 hits.
Aughinbaugh gave up 4 runs, 3 earned, on 5 hits, with 1 K and 1 BB.  Stocks gave up 1 run on 3 hits with 1 K.

With the injuries, this team could be in trouble for the playoffs, which we will still make.  We need to win both games tomorrow to help keep a better seeding.  No way we get an NCAA bid without winning the A10 now.

Here's the SID's write up and box score:  http://www.fordhamsports.com/news/2017/4/14/softball-rallies-late-but-falls-in-series-opener-at-massachusetts.aspx?path=softball
« Last Edit: April 15, 2017, 12:37:46 pm by txram » Report Spam   Logged
txram
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2017, 12:16:22 pm »

In game 2, Quense is pitching, Shaw at 1b, Trivelpiece in RF, Johnston is DP hitting for Skrepenak in LF.  Hughes and Mayer switched in the lineup to 2-3.  Colleran is pitching for UMass again.

In the 1st, Hughes walked, advanced to 2b but was LOB.
In UMass' half, Quense hit 3 batters then gave up a single, scoring a run.  She hasn't had her control since she got her sore arm/shoulder a few weeks ago.  She gave up another single which scored 2 runs.  Rams down 3-0 after 1.

Johnston singled but we had 2 Ks and she was LOB.
In the bottom half, Quense gave up a single, then a double, scoring a run, then a single, scoring another run.  It's clear she's not her normal self.  We may get run-ruled!  She then gave up an infield single.  Storm made an error scoring another run.  The wheels are falling off.  A single scored UMass' 7th run.  Rams down 7-0  after 2.

In the 3rd, we had 3 GB outs.
In the bottom half, Quense gave up a leadoff single, UMass' 8th hit.  Mayer made at error.  Quense gave up a walk, then a single, which led to a run.  Rams down 8-0 after 3 and are now subject to the run rule after 5.

In the 4th, Mayer walked.  Quense reached on a error.  Both were LOB as we had two more Ks that inning.
In their half, Quense reited the side in order.  Rams down 8-0 after 4.

In the 5th, Trivelpiece walked.  Canessa singled.  Hughes reached on an error by CF; 2 runs scored.  Shaw hit a 2-run HR, her 52nd RBI.  Quense singled but was LOB.
In the bottom half, Quense gave up a leadoff single, a double, then a FC scored a run while another was thrown out at home.  Quense then gave up another single, her 12th hit.  A sac fly scored another run.  Rams down 10-4 after 5.  We haven't given up this many runs in a game all year.

In the 6th, Johnston singled but that's all we got.
In the bottom half, with Rundlett in to pitch for Quense, she gave up 2 singles.  Vergona was called for catcher's interference to load the bases.  What else can go wrong?  Well, she then walked 2 batters and allowed 2 more runs to make it 12-4, that's what.

Rams lose 12-4 via run rule.  How embarrassing.  I don't recall the last time we were run-ruled in A10 play.  It could have been in 2002, Bridget's first year.  We're 30-12, 7-4 and I think we're now in 4th place behind UMass, SJU and Dayton.

We got just 5 hits.  Johnston had 2.
Quense gave up 10 runs, 8 of which were earned, on 12 hits with 2 Ks and 1 BB.  My guess is that she's pitching with an injury.  I'd almost prefer to have seen Stocks to have started in this one.  Rundlett gave up 2 runs on 2 hits and 2 BBs.  That won't help her 12.00 ERA any.

As I said after the last game, with the injuries, we're in trouble!

Next game follows at about 2:30.

« Last Edit: April 15, 2017, 04:28:19 pm by txram » Report Spam   Logged
txram
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2017, 02:35:23 pm »

In game 3, Aughinbaugh is pitching with Quense at 1b and Shaw at 3b.  Denis is pitching for UMass (2.09 ERA).

In the 1st, Canessa walked and stole 2b.  (10/10)  Hughes K's but reached 1b on an error by the catcher.  Canessa to 3b.  Hughes was caught stealing and hasn't stolen a base in the last couple of weeks.  Mayer singled home a run.
In the bottom half, Aughingbaugh gave up 2 singles but no runs.  Rams up 1-0 after 1.

In the top of the 2nd, Johnston hit a LD single off the CF wall.  Vergona bunted her to 2b and Trivelpiece bunted her to 3b.  Aughinbaugh bunted her home on a squeeze that UMass tried to get the runner at home instead of 1b.
In the bottom half, Aughinbaugh gave up a leadoff single.  A sac bunt moved the runner over.  She then gave up another single.  Runner stole 2b with no throw.  A pop up and fly out ended the threat.  These UMass announcers are BAD.  They used to have the best in the A10.  Rams up 2-0 after 2.

In the 3rd, Canessa grounded out.  Hughes walked.  Mayer grounded into a force.  Shaw doubled and was out at 3b trying to stretch it, but Mayer scored before the tag.
In the bottom half, Aughinbaugh got a comebacker, Skrepenak made a diving catch in LF, then Trivelpiece made a nice catch in RF.  Rams up 6-3 after 3.

In the 4th, Hughes singled.  Mayer got an infield single.  Shaw singled to load the bases.  Quense added to her team K lead.  (29)  A WP scored a run.  Johnston singled home 2 runs.  Vergona K'd.  Trivelpiece singled but 2 were LOB.
In the bottom half, Aughinbaugh gave up a single and a 4-pitch walk, got a GB out, then a single and a run, and a sac fly and a run.  A single misplayed by Trivelpiece on RF into a "double" allowed the batter to reach 2b and another run to score.   Rams up 5-3 after 4.

In the 5th, we went down in order.
In the bottom half, Aughinbaugh gave up a single but that was it.  Rams up 6-3 after 5.

In the 6th, we went down in order again.
In the bottom half, Aughinbaugh gave up a single to CF then a bunt single, but pitched out of it.  Rams up 6-3 after 6.

In the 7th, Shaw got a 2-out double.  Quense walked.  Johnston singled home Shaw.  Her 3rd hit in this one and 5th of the day.  She's coming around.  Vergona grounded out. 
In the bottom half, Aughinbaugh gave up a HR, Cozza's 1st of the year.  She then gave up an infield single.  A short pop fly to CF dropped in.  A GB ended it.

Rams win 7-4.  Go to 31-12, 8-4, but we remain in 4th behind SJU (9-3), UMass (8-3), and Dayton (10-4).  UMass plays SJU still and we play Dayton (next weekend).  We play GW first though mid week.

We got 10 hits, with Shaw and Johnston had 3 and Mayer had 2. 
Aughinbaugh went the distance, giving up 13 hits with 0 Ks and 1 BB.  Not her best performance either to a team hitting in the .250's.  Our pitching gave up 35 hits in the 3 games.

http://fordhamsports.com/news/2017/4/15/softball-splits-saturday-doubleheader-at-massachusetts.aspx
« Last Edit: April 15, 2017, 05:59:55 pm by txram » Report Spam   Logged
NYRam07
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2017, 10:08:00 am »

Are we not as good as we thought we'd be, or just hitting a rough patch?
Report Spam   Logged
ace93
Arbitrary and Capricious Administrator
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2017, 10:26:44 am »

Are we not as good as we thought we'd be, or just hitting a rough patch?

Is this the first you are tuning in this season? I don't mean that in a bad way, it just seems like a question by someone who has not been following the team by even reading the posts on this board.

Van Hoven is out with an extended injury; hopefully she will be back for the A10 tournament. She is arguably our best player and team leader.

Quense, our best and most experienced pitcher, is pitching injured. From within this thread, "She hasn't had her control since she got her sore arm/shoulder a few weeks ago."

Our other pitcher, Aughinbaugh, is a freshman and pitching well. We lost the first game when she pitched by the slimmest of margins. She has some improving to do to be really dominant, but she is very good, still a freshman though.

How good did we think we'd be, btw? I do not remember the predictions to be honest.
Report Spam   Logged

Nothing replaces success in the revenue sports.  Nothing.  That's not to take away from the success in the Olympic sports - they do matter.  It isn't a replacement for success in the flagship sports. - Debbie Yow, AD - NC State
NYRam07
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2017, 10:30:58 am »

Is this the first you are tuning in this season? I don't mean that in a bad way, it just seems like a question by someone who has not been following the team by even reading the posts on this board.

Van Hoven is out with an extended injury; hopefully she will be back for the A10 tournament. She is arguably our best player and team leader.

Quense, our best and most experienced pitcher, is pitching injured. From within this thread, "She hasn't had her control since she got her sore arm/shoulder a few weeks ago."

Our other pitcher, Aughinbaugh, is a freshman and pitching well. We lost the first game when she pitched by the slimmest of margins. She has some improving to do to be really dominant, but she is very good, still a freshman though.

How good did we think we'd be, btw? I do not remember the predictions to be honest.

I read the posts but do not necessarily keep track closely. I had no idea about Van Hoven. Probably read about it at some point but I don't know the players so hard to remember.

Report Spam   Logged
txram
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2017, 02:25:21 pm »

Good response, Ace.

Figueroa, a .300+ hitter and very good defensive outfielder, was also out last week with an injury and I suspect may be out vs the Bonnies.  Hopefully she'll be back vs HE over the weekend.

We were predicted to win the A10, which I think we would have done had we remained healthy.  I doubt we'll win the regular season, but if we have everyone back healthy for the playoffs, we should should still have an excellent chance.

Our early notable wins and high RPI was a little of a surprise, but several games could easily have gone the other way.

With pitching as critical as it is in softball, not having your ace Quense at 100% and having inexperience behind that will usually lead to some losses you shouldn't normally have.  Since Quense keeps getting pulled every time she is on base for a pinch runner, I think it's more than a sore arm.  On the other side, another's team's ace could "be on her game" against us and we have to face her twice in an A10 series.

Losing one's 3rd best hitter and best defensive infielder in Van Hoven on top of that has cost us several conference games.  Even if she makes it back for the playoffs, I doubt she'll be at the level she was at when she was injured though.

I know my posts carry a lot of detail, NYRam07, so I can understand you not fully recognizing what was going on.  I've been criticized sometimes for it being "too informative", but I try to let everyone know all about Fordham's best team.  Their game times often don't allow a lot of fans to follow them closely.  If you ever have any questions, feel free to shoot me a private message.  I often have info I can't publish on the board, but may be willing to share with true fans.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2017, 05:03:24 pm by txram » Report Spam   Logged
NYRam07
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2017, 02:36:32 pm »

Good response, Ace.

Figueroa, a .300+ hitter and very good defensive outfielder, was also out last week with an injury and I suspect may be out vs GW.  Hopefully she'll be back vs Dayton.

We were predicted to win the A10, which I think we would have done had we remained healthy.  I doubt we'll win the regular season, but if we have everyone back healthy for the playoffs, we should should still have an excellent chance.

Our early notable wins and high RPI was a little of a surprise, but several games could easily have gone the other way.

With pitching as critical as it is in softball, not having your ace Quense at 100% and having inexperience behind that will usually lead to some losses you shouldn't normally have.  On the other side, another's team's ace could "be on her game" against us and we have to face her twice in an A10 series.

Losing one's 3rd best hitter and best defensive infielder in Van Hoven on top of that has cost us several conference games.  Even if she makes it back for the playoffs, I doubt she'll be at the level she was at when she was injured though.

I know my posts carry a lot of detail, NYRam07, so I can understand you not fully recognizing what was going on.  I've been criticized sometimes for it being "too informative", but I try to let everyone know all about Fordham's best team.  Their game times often don't allow a lot of fans to follow then closely.  If you ever have any questions, feel free to shoot me a private message.  I often have info I can't publish on the board, but may be willing to share with true fans.

Thanks tx. I appreciate the updates and do try to keep at least somewhat informed.
Report Spam   Logged
Scott W 86
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2017, 06:10:50 pm »

Ace .... I keep up, but I'm not sure I keep up enough. Am I allowed to ask a question without a scolding?
Report Spam   Logged
ace93
Arbitrary and Capricious Administrator
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2017, 09:35:12 pm »

NYRam07, sorry if my earlier reply came off harsh. That was not my intent.

Ace .... I keep up, but I'm not sure I keep up enough. Am I allowed to ask a question without a scolding?

I make no promises. In keeping with the spirit of the unwritten rule of attacking the post and not the poster, I will say no more.
Report Spam   Logged

Nothing replaces success in the revenue sports.  Nothing.  That's not to take away from the success in the Olympic sports - they do matter.  It isn't a replacement for success in the flagship sports. - Debbie Yow, AD - NC State

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: