fordhamfans.com
July 24, 2017, 08:44:17 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Gallery Login Register  

AA to UCONN

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: AA to UCONN  (Read 3752 times)
PeterMartin08
Senior

View Profile
« on: April 16, 2017, 02:02:06 am »

Deserves its own thread.

The UCONN blog lists the following:
However, Anderson gives UConn depth in the backcourt. With the departures of Steven Enoch, Juwan Durham, Vance Jackson and 2017 signee Makai Ashton-Langford, the Huskies only had three guards and seven players total.

Anderson joins a group of guards which includes Jalen Adams, Christian Vital and Alterique Gilbert. With just three guards last season after Gilbert went down with injury, the Huskies struggled with depth at times due to injuries and foul trouble.

The addition of Anderson shouldn’t impact UConn’s pursuit of Tremont Waters, either. Anderson is currently the fourth option at guard and Waters would push him down to fifth. The Huskies still have minutes available for both players next season.
Report Spam   Logged

Any other team wins the World Series, good for them. They're drinking champagne, they get a ring. But if we win, on our budget, with this team... we'll have changed the game. And that's what I want. I want it to mean something. - Moneyball

Social Buttons

PA Ram
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2017, 08:10:26 am »

Now there's an upgrade.  He'll have fun playing a year of big time basketball.

Good luck AA
Report Spam   Logged
John
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2017, 10:10:32 pm »

It will be interesting to see how well he does against top competition. Pretty well, I suspect. Good luck, AA!
Report Spam   Logged
PeterMartin08
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2017, 10:28:02 pm »

Just off the phone with @Twan5_ The @BishopKearneyHS grad will play his final baskeball season at UConn. Why'd he leave Fordham? Story soon
@rockdevo
Report Spam   Logged

Any other team wins the World Series, good for them. They're drinking champagne, they get a ring. But if we win, on our budget, with this team... we'll have changed the game. And that's what I want. I want it to mean something. - Moneyball
FU85
Sophomore

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2017, 11:37:33 pm »

Just off the phone with @Twan5_ The @BishopKearneyHS grad will play his final baskeball season at UConn. Why'd he leave Fordham? Story soon
@rockdevo

Don't see him getting much pt at uconn but I hope he doesn't take a shot at us as he walks out the door.
Report Spam   Logged
ramdude
Freshman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2017, 12:06:11 am »

Not a fan of these kids transferring out, but I'm glad they are going up the ladder (Villanova, Boise state, Uconn) than down (division 2/3, etc.).  We are recruiting/developing kids with talent, but can't keep them on campus.

It's a tired refrain, but it is all the more reason we need upgraded facilities.  Can't compete if we are still in the Stone Age, and I ignore every call from development office until they get rid of the RHG (don't insult my intelligence with the McLaughlin family court renovations).
Report Spam   Logged
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2017, 08:08:02 am »

Not a fan of these kids transferring out, but I'm glad they are going up the ladder (Villanova, Boise state, Uconn) than down (division 2/3, etc.).  We are recruiting/developing kids with talent, but can't keep them on campus.

It's a tired refrain, but it is all the more reason we need upgraded facilities.  Can't compete if we are still in the Stone Age, and I ignore every call from development office until they get rid of the RHG (don't insult my intelligence with the McLaughlin family court renovations).

AA and Sengfelder were here for 4 years and 3 years, respectively. Saying we cant keep them on campus is inaccurate. They graduated. Neubie has only lost 2 of his own recruits since he was hired and both claimed they were leaving due to being homesick and not being able to adapt to living in NY. Let's give Neubie 3 years of his own recruits and see who stays and who goes. Right now he has an 80% retention rate. So far he is doing a lot better than the prior coach in this regard and he is winning a lot more games as well.    

Players are transferring in droves. Does Penn State have inadequate facilities, or UVA or Rice or the scores of other schools being hit with multiple transfers out?  GW, George Mason, VCU.....and on and on......players don't stay at a school and graduate after 3 or 4 years and then take a grad year elsewhere due to facilities, I don't think that is the reason, nor have we seen any evidence of that being the reason, for these transfers.....
« Last Edit: April 17, 2017, 08:37:56 am by 85 » Report Spam   Logged
xtey92a
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2017, 09:15:31 am »

Thanks for being a Ram, Antoine.  UConn is a great school too.
Report Spam   Logged

#GoRamsGo!
LXRF
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2017, 09:32:22 am »

AA was at Fordham for 4 years.  He earned his ticket to try something else. No matter where he goes from here after UCONN, he'll always be a FU grad. 
Report Spam   Logged
An Old Coach
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2017, 09:36:02 am »

Don't see him getting much pt at uconn but I hope he doesn't take a shot at us as he walks out the door.

What has he ever done that would make you think that is a possibility?  He's a good kid and he's going to a very good program.  He'll do fine for himself.
Report Spam   Logged
ace93
Arbitrary and Capricious Administrator
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2017, 09:41:50 am »

What has he ever done that would make you think that is a possibility?  He's a good kid and he's going to a very good program.  He'll do fine for himself.

He is probably referring to the "Why'd he leave Fordham? Story soon" from the tweet that was posted.
Report Spam   Logged

Nothing replaces success in the revenue sports.  Nothing.  That's not to take away from the success in the Olympic sports - they do matter.  It isn't a replacement for success in the flagship sports. - Debbie Yow, AD - NC State
An Old Coach
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2017, 09:44:43 am »

He is probably referring to the "Why'd he leave Fordham? Story soon" from the tweet that was posted.

Ya, I get it.  If he tells the reason he's leaving and it's not entirely complementary, so be it.     If he gets personal or gets into personalities, that's taking a shot, IMO.
Report Spam   Logged
RoRam
Sophomore

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2017, 09:46:01 am »

@rockdevo
Link below:

http://www.democratandchronicle.com/story/sports/college/2017/04/16/kearneys-antwoine-anderson-play-uconn-next-season/100549028/
Report Spam   Logged

“We didn’t get blown out of many games in the Atlantic 10. … I can see it coming.”

-Tom Pecora
PeterMartin08
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2017, 09:51:37 am »

"We wanted a bigger platform" - definitely not his own words. "Ollie/coaches feel I can be something special" - not something for you to say. I expected a more humble tone.

He's a 15-20 minute guy. Put him on the top of a zone and defensively he'll be above average. Don't see him scoring much at that level. The end result in terms of a "pro career" will be comparable to what he'd have after another year at Fordham. In this scenario, he gets to play one round in the NCAA tournament.
Report Spam   Logged

NYRam07
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2017, 09:52:52 am »

Unless there's more to come there's no real story here. He wanted a "bigger platform" and wants to try and go pro post college. He thinks he can a step or two forward in his development as a player under the UCONN coaching staff.

He's chasing a dream. Nothing wrong with that.
Report Spam   Logged
An Old Coach
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2017, 10:09:06 am »

"We wanted a bigger platform" - definitely not his own words. "Ollie/coaches feel I can be something special" - not something for you to say. I expected a more humble tone.

He's a 15-20 minute guy. Put him on the top of a zone and defensively he'll be above average. Don't see him scoring much at that level. The end result in terms of a "pro career" will be comparable to what he'd have after another year at Fordham. In this scenario, he gets to play one round in the NCAA tournament.

"Humble tone"?  What does that even mean?   The guy is chasing a career and he gets a shot at the NCAA tournament.  This is a smart move for a kid who did everything he was asked to do.   
Report Spam   Logged
ace93
Arbitrary and Capricious Administrator
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2017, 10:19:17 am »

This is a smart move for a kid who did everything he was asked to do.  

Tough chance to pass up, but whether it is a smart move is debatable.

Much is going to depend on how much time he gets and how well UConn does. The AAC does not provide the same exposure the Big East did. He was going to get a ton of time at Fordham next year, might get less than a third of that much run at UConn. More power to him if it works out.
Report Spam   Logged

Nothing replaces success in the revenue sports.  Nothing.  That's not to take away from the success in the Olympic sports - they do matter.  It isn't a replacement for success in the flagship sports. - Debbie Yow, AD - NC State
PeterMartin08
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2017, 10:22:40 am »

"Humble tone"?  What does that even mean?   The guy is chasing a career and he gets a shot at the NCAA tournament.  This is a smart move for a kid who did everything he was asked to do.   

Not a big deal, but you don't comment on how others think you can be special.

As Ace just said, whether it's a smart decision is debatable. I'm happy for him, but I can make a strong case that averaging 17.5ppg in the A10 as a senior captain is a nice bumper sticker for a one-way ticket to Marseilles.
Report Spam   Logged

John
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2017, 10:32:47 am »

Unless there's more to come there's no real story here.

Well, there's a story, but it's an old one. It's the assumption -- not unreasonable -- that there is no chance of getting to the NCAA tournament next year if he remained at Fordham. I don't know if this view was fed by the notion of CS transferring and JC declaring for the draft, but I suspect not. Fordham's the only school in America with less dancing than BYU.

And he's neither unreasonable nor unrealistic. The last Ram to go to the NCAA mens' tournament did it a quarter century ago. The last Fordham player to enjoy a winning career record over a 3-4 year Fordham career is old enough to be AA's father. That's not merely ordinary failure, it's epic failure. And don't think rival recruiters aren't feeding that information to every prospect we visit with.

UConn is a program with multiple NCAA titles. Every year, there is a presumption that they will be in the Field of 68, unless there is a good reason to keep them out. That's a far cry from how Fordham has ever been perceived. 

So, if he is chasing a potential pro career, AA has made a wise choice. As one would expect a Fordham graduate to do. There IS a story there, but I don't think Fordham's Administration reads the sports section.
Report Spam   Logged
An Old Coach
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2017, 10:34:37 am »

Not a big deal, but you don't comment on how others think you can be special.

As Ace just said, whether it's a smart decision is debatable. I'm happy for him, but I can make a strong case that averaging 17.5ppg in the A10 as a senior captain is a nice bumper sticker for a one-way ticket to Marseilles.

If he said that and he was transferring in, instead of out, you'd be doing back flips.  

He's going to a program that is on the map and he has a legitimate shot at going to the tournament.  I'm sure Ollie was very upfront with him about expectations, playing time, his system, etc.   With that info in hand he made his decision.  He'll have a opportunity for the post season that he most likely wouldn't have at Fordham.  I hope it works out just as he wants.
Report Spam   Logged
tuckertomm
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2017, 12:14:31 pm »

Good Luck AA thanks for the memories.
Report Spam   Logged
southcarolinaram
Sophomore

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2017, 02:07:00 pm »

Thanks Twoine and good luck next year.

I am a bit confused by all the talk about this being such a step up and playing at a higher level. UConn is in the AAC. A conference roughly equivalent to the A10.
Report Spam   Logged
Rich93
Class of 93
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2017, 02:19:17 pm »

A couple of things:

1.  3 guys transferred out of UCONN and their top 100 player was released from his letter of intent.  They needed to bring in 5 guys.  Also, they are counting on two guys who had season ending injuries last year to come back and be the same players.  In other words, UCONN is more likely than not going to miss the tournament.  
2.  Anderson's statement about Ollie helping him develop his game is short sighted to say the least.  He already knows our staff can improve his game (or at least he should) because it happened over the last two years.  Kevin Ollie and his staff are not going to spend 5 seconds working with a grad a transfer they picked up out of desperation because of a rash of departures.  He will be taught their system and they will get out of him this year what they can.  There will be no development of his game because he is not a part of the future of that program.  He will be an after thought as they spend every waking minute trying to find the next top 100 guard.  
3.  As far as going pro, I think we can all agree he is not going to the NBA and that he is not remotely close.  So he is going to play in Europe.  I do not see how playing at UCONN will make any difference in his pro prospects for Europe.  Rhoomes Thomas and even Canty are playing pro ball in Europe.  Playing big minutes in the Atlantic 10 would give him enough exposure to get to the pros in Europe.  Playing 10 minutes a game on a mediocre UCONN is not going to do a thing for his pro prospects.  

Report Spam   Logged

WINNING MATTERS
PeterMartin08
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2017, 03:02:12 pm »

A couple of things:

1.  3 guys transferred out of UCONN and their top 100 player was released from his letter of intent.  They needed to bring in 5 guys.  Also, they are counting on two guys who had season ending injuries last year to come back and be the same players.  In other words, UCONN is more likely than not going to miss the tournament.  
2.  Anderson's statement about Ollie helping him develop his game is short sighted to say the least.  He already knows our staff can improve his game (or at least he should) because it happened over the last two years.  Kevin Ollie and his staff are not going to spend 5 seconds working with a grad a transfer they picked up out of desperation because of a rash of departures.  He will be taught their system and they will get out of him this year what they can.  There will be no development of his game because he is not a part of the future of that program.  He will be an after thought as they spend every waking minute trying to find the next top 100 guard.  
3.  As far as going pro, I think we can all agree he is not going to the NBA and that he is not remotely close.  So he is going to play in Europe.  I do not see how playing at UCONN will make any difference in his pro prospects for Europe.  Rhoomes Thomas and even Canty are playing pro ball in Europe.  Playing big minutes in the Atlantic 10 would give him enough exposure to get to the pros in Europe.  Playing 10 minutes a game on a mediocre UCONN is not going to do a thing for his pro prospects.  

3 for 3 afternoon with two extra base hits. nicely done.
Report Spam   Logged

drunkle
Sophomore

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 17, 2017, 03:11:41 pm »

A couple of things:

Yeah, I don't think UConn is going dancing next year, and I doubt this does much for his game. 
Report Spam   Logged
FU85
Sophomore

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 17, 2017, 04:00:20 pm »

AOC,
    It was all about the why'd he leave Fordham? Story soon. You never know what goes on behind the scenes and all I could think about was that idiot "the bad coach" taking shots at us left and right before during and after leaving Fordham. We just don't need any more bad news. I wish him luck but think he made a poor choice. Time will tell.
Report Spam   Logged
Buzz
Sophomore

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 17, 2017, 04:58:35 pm »

A couple of things:

Can pro scouts attend practice? If so here's where the exposure comes in from playing for UCONN
Report Spam   Logged
shortshot
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 17, 2017, 05:04:17 pm »

Can pro scouts attend practice? If so here's where the exposure comes in from playing for UCONN
Who are the UConn players that would attract pro scouts next season?
Report Spam   Logged
Rich93
Class of 93
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 17, 2017, 05:07:19 pm »

Are you talking about the NBA?  If so it is not relevant as I am not sure UCONN has any NBA players and he wont even get a sniff at the D-League.  Briante Weber he is not.   Anderson will play overseas just like Rhoomes Thomas Canty Frazier Gaston and the 100s of other DI players who did not go to a mid pack AAC team.  He will put together film to send to teams which will likely include more Fordham highlights than UCONN highlights. 
Report Spam   Logged

WINNING MATTERS
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 17, 2017, 05:14:16 pm »

Who are the UConn players that would attract pro scouts next season?

the ones who play for Geno Aureiema.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: