fordhamfans.com
April 26, 2017, 05:58:30 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Gallery Login Register  

AA to UCONN

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: AA to UCONN  (Read 3637 times)
Scott W 86
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 17, 2017, 05:17:04 pm »

He will be taught their system and they will get out of him this year what they can.  There will be no development of his game because he is not a part of the future of that program.  He will be an after thought as they spend every waking minute trying to find the next top 100 guard.  

Why do most of acknowledge the Rhoomes development in one last year, ...

yet you can't conceive of AA benefitting from new coaching in a similar way?

It's entirely possible

[/quote]

3.  As far as going pro, I think we can all agree he is not going to the NBA and that he is not remotely close.  So he is going to play in Europe.  I do not see how playing at UCONN will make any difference in his pro prospects for Europe.  

[/quote]

Apparently the person closest to the situation, with more data, and more incentive ,,, sees it another way.  Add to it that development isn't his only interest (quality of the experience/more fun) is another piece of the puzzle.
Report Spam   Logged
Rich93
Class of 93
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 17, 2017, 05:22:31 pm »

Anderson benefitted from two years of coaching under Neubauer, Ollie is not going to put the time into developing his game.  There is simply not enough time to do that with a one year bench player.  Ollie will blow smoke up his ass because he is desparate and then he will simply teach him the system so he is ready to play for 4 months shake his hand and send him on his way.  That is reality. 
Report Spam   Logged

WINNING MATTERS
Scott W 86
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 17, 2017, 05:52:01 pm »

Anderson benefitted from two years of coaching under Neubauer, Ollie is not going to put the time into developing his game.  There is simply not enough time to do that with a one year bench player.  Ollie will blow smoke up his ass because he is desparate and then he will simply teach him the system so he is ready to play for 4 months shake his hand and send him on his way.  That is reality. 

AA: "Thanks Ollie. Thanks for the first class experience, the better conference championship experience, the better post season, the higher TV ratings,  Thanks for putting enough fans in the stands for me so that my mother and grandmother aren't the only voices I hear. And finally, thanks for getting me away from the oddest set of college basketball fans in the country. Those poor bastards have suffered since the seasons before I was born! It's been such a rough ride for them that they've resorted to such odd behavior that they gather in small groups and obsess over every players coursework, life's ambitions, and motivations. They project their values onto me, even though we are generations apart in age.  And most of all, thanks for putting me in an alumni group that can speak about NCAA titles, Final Fours, Conference titles."

"Coach, the only thing I wished you had disclosed is that I'm playing at another school where the WBB program is more highly regarded than the MBB program."
Report Spam   Logged
Rich93
Class of 93
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 17, 2017, 05:56:19 pm »

You can't be that stupid to think he will be in the UCONN alumni group.  Can you?   He is a nobody to them, he thinks what you described is what will happen when in reality my description is accurate.  Sorry burst the bubble but this is not Pascal going to nova.
Report Spam   Logged

WINNING MATTERS
Scott W 86
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 17, 2017, 06:19:46 pm »

You can't be that stupid to think he will be in the UCONN alumni group.  Can you?   He is a nobody to them, he thinks what you described is what will happen when in reality my description is accurate.  Sorry burst the bubble but this is not Pascal going to nova.

I remember all of the nonsense on this board about how EP would regret going to Nova.

No, I'm not stupid about how AA will associate himself with a very successful program.  He gets as close to the sunshine as he can squeeze himself.  Luckily, for him, there is plenty of sunshine given off at UConn. No one needs to hoard it like it was 1971 at Fordham. 

I'm not stupid enough to say something as inane as "in reality my description is accurate"

I can't quibble with the analysis that "this is not Pascal going to nova"   .... That's true.   Different player, different school, different year... many differences indeed Einstein.
Report Spam   Logged
Rich93
Class of 93
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 17, 2017, 06:24:39 pm »

I said Paschal to Nova made sense at the time.  If you think what Anderson and you describe is the reality of what his year will be like then you are both suckers.  UCONN is a business he is a disposable part to get through this year after unexpected departchers.  Nothing more there will be no player development they don't think he is special he will not be a part of the national championship alumni or sunshine whatever the hell that means.  Cheesy
Report Spam   Logged

WINNING MATTERS
Scott W 86
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 17, 2017, 06:35:08 pm »

I said Paschal to Nova made sense at the time.  If you think what Anderson and you describe is the reality of what his year will be like then you are both suckers.  UCONN is a business he is a disposable part to get through this year after unexpected departchers.  Nothing more there will be no player development they don't think he is special he will not be a part of the national championship alumni or sunshine whatever the hell that means.  Cheesy

Read at a higher level if you're going to shoot your mouth off....

The quote was "And most of all, thanks for putting me in an alumni group that can speak about NCAA titles, Final Fours, Conference titles."

That means the basketball program alumni Copernicus.

"sunshine" is an illusion that most FU graduates before the 1990's would easily comprehend, and visualize. It has to do with glory, victory, triumph ... epic figures that cast a special light.  A glow if you will. Often shown in art and literature in forms like a torch, or even a hallow.  Are you following that basketball man? 

So think FU. Grin Shocked Shocked Wink Wink
Report Spam   Logged
ace93
Arbitrary and Capricious Administrator
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 17, 2017, 06:37:39 pm »

If Anderson had two years of eligibility remaining and had to sit out a year, I doubt UCONN goes after him. I could be wrong though.
Report Spam   Logged

Nothing replaces success in the revenue sports.  Nothing.  That's not to take away from the success in the Olympic sports - they do matter.  It isn't a replacement for success in the flagship sports. - Debbie Yow, AD - NC State
Rich93
Class of 93
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 17, 2017, 06:47:56 pm »

Read at a higher level if you're going to shoot your mouth off....

The quote was "And most of all, thanks for putting me in an alumni group that can speak about NCAA titles, Final Fours, Conference titles."

That means the basketball program alumni Copernicus.

"sunshine" is an illusion that most FU graduates before the 1990's would easily comprehend, and visualize. It has to do with glory, victory, triumph ... epic figures that cast a special light.  A glow if you will. Often shown in art and literature in forms like a torch, or even a hallow.  Are you following that basketball man? 

So think FU. Grin Shocked Shocked Wink Wink

I understood what you are saying but you are too stupid to get that those guys won't give a shyt about him.  You think those national championship players or any others  are going to embrace Anderson a one year player as one of their own?   Yeah I bet Calhoun invites him to dinner.   Cheesy. I have no idea what your other nonsense has to do with Andersons stated reason for leaving but yeah sure ok got it. 
Report Spam   Logged

WINNING MATTERS
Scott W 86
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 17, 2017, 07:04:43 pm »

I understood what you are saying but you are too stupid to get that those guys won't give a shyt about him.  You think those national championship players or any others  are going to embrace Anderson a one year player as one of their own?   Yeah I bet Calhoun invites him to dinner.   Cheesy. I have no idea what your other nonsense has to do with Andersons stated reason for leaving but yeah sure ok got it. 

I'm pretty convinced you don't get many things that don't get found in traffic regulations or a basketball media guide.  It's pretty obvious.

But, in the famous words of car dealer, and Mayor of Faber, Carmine De Pasto "... and, if you say stupid again, I'll have your 'lakes' broken"
Report Spam   Logged
Rich93
Class of 93
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 17, 2017, 07:09:58 pm »

I'm pretty convinced you don't get many things that don't get found in traffic regulations or a basketball media guide.  It's pretty obvious.

But, in the famous words of car dealer, and Mayor of Faber, Carmine De Pasto "... and, if you say stupid again, I'll have your 'lakes' broken"

Oh no you dont think I am smart my God what will I do?  And yes you are an idiot.
Report Spam   Logged

WINNING MATTERS
Scott W 86
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 17, 2017, 07:17:22 pm »

Oh no you dont think I am smart my God what will I do?  And yes you are an idiot.

LOL... if I'm an idiot, then you're a well balanced, adjusted adult with a range of interests, a strong family life and a well respected contributor to your community.

Keep it up.  I can mock you all night long.

..... but at least raise your game for the sake of the readers.
Report Spam   Logged
Rich93
Class of 93
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 17, 2017, 07:21:29 pm »

LOL... if I'm an idiot, then you're a well balanced, adjusted adult with a range of interests, a strong family life and a well respected contributor to your community.

Keep it up.  I can mock you all night long.

..... but at least raise your game for the sake of the readers.

Aren't you supposed to be in your prime earning years not wasting time on this board?   For a guy who claims to be above this place you post a lot.  Careful you will be confused with those weird Fordham fans you like to talk about. 
Report Spam   Logged

WINNING MATTERS
NYRam07
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 17, 2017, 08:25:09 pm »

Do you talk to people like this in real life?
Report Spam   Logged
Scott W 86
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 17, 2017, 08:39:22 pm »

Aren't you supposed to be in your prime earning years not wasting time on this board?   For a guy who claims to be above this place you post a lot.  Careful you will be confused with those weird Fordham fans you like to talk about. 

Thanks for your concern, it's always good to see the alumni hang together in a supportive way.

My prime earning years were sufficiently early and lucrative enough to allow me to retire early, and pursue other interests. 

I don't recall claiming to be above this place.  I enjoy the board's polite conversation, civil disagreements, with POVs and news that relates to Fordham.  I just get troubled by a poster that calls so many of the other posters "stupid, idiot, moron, purveyors on nonsense, etc.   It makes me wonder if they've considered that if so many of their fellow alumni are idiots .... isn't that a reflection on their own alma mater?  A reflection on the value of their degree.   Maybe even a reflection on themselves.
Report Spam   Logged
ace93
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: April 17, 2017, 09:30:38 pm »

Let's keep the personal commentary off the board.  As I always say, attack the post, not the poster.
Report Spam   Logged

Nothing replaces success in the revenue sports.  Nothing.  That's not to take away from the success in the Olympic sports - they do matter.  It isn't a replacement for success in the flagship sports. - Debbie Yow, AD - NC State
CTRAM
Freshman

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 17, 2017, 09:39:33 pm »

Is it just me but if I had the chance to start every game next year as opposed to getting into a situation where my last year of playing ball I may possibly ride the pine,  I'd choose Fordham hands down.
Report Spam   Logged
ace93
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 17, 2017, 09:50:31 pm »

Is it just me but if I had the chance to start every game next year as opposed to getting into a situation where my last year of playing ball I may possibly ride the pine,  I'd choose Fordham hands down.

I agree, but we are biased.

I do not think UConn will be very good next season either way, but if they are good then AA likely won't be getting many minutes per game on average. For his sake, I hope I am wrong, but I think he would have been better off elsewhere and I do not necessarily mean Fordham.
Report Spam   Logged

DamnRam
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 17, 2017, 09:56:26 pm »

Speaking only about myself here, but I'm loyal to a fault.  After all the hard and thankless work to build this program up from nothing, I would feel like this is MY program.  I would be emotionally invested and not want to leave until I was forced out the door by eligibility or scholarship finally running out.

As for whether this was strategically wise, I don't know enough about him or what UConn is really going to offer him.  Is it a bigger "platform"?  Sure.  But will they give a rat's ass about him?  No way.  He's going to be like the hoops version of an interchangeable temporary worker.

I do wish him well though, he is a Fordham graduate who represented Fordham well.
Report Spam   Logged
joea
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 18, 2017, 08:38:25 am »

It seems there is a fair amount of cognitive dissonance going on here

AA is good enough that if he stayed and played for us and we got a couple of pieces, we could contend for post season basketball next year
versus
UConn  is going to be bad, and he won't play anyway because its UConn and he is not good enough, but they are going to be bad

He is good for the A10 but not the AAC
versus
The A10 and AAC are pretty much equal

He is a one year transfer and they need pieces because of unexpected departures, and they won't do anything for his game, because he is just filling a seat on the bench
versus
What exactly are we going to be doing next year with transfers?

Our coach can coach players up, but
Their coach can't or won't, because why would you want your players to get better?

I could go on.

Report Spam   Logged
LXRF
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 18, 2017, 09:33:53 am »

AA is good enough that if he stayed and played for us and we got a couple of pieces, we could contend for post season basketball next year
versus
UConn  is going to be bad, and he won't play anyway because its UConn and he is not good enough, but they are going to be bad

versus

He is a one year transfer and they need pieces because of unexpected departures, and they won't do anything for his game, because he is just filling a seat on the bench
versus

Their coach can't or won't, because why would you want your players to get better?

I could go on.

James Joyce could not have said it any better than that Wink
Report Spam   Logged
ace93
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 18, 2017, 09:36:30 am »

versus

versus

versus

I could go on.

That's what happens when you have so many different people providing their opinion.
Report Spam   Logged

cbbdan
Freshman

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 18, 2017, 10:28:17 am »

A couple of things:

1.  3 guys transferred out of UCONN and their top 100 player was released from his letter of intent.  They needed to bring in 5 guys.  Also, they are counting on two guys who had season ending injuries last year to come back and be the same players.  In other words, UCONN is more likely than not going to miss the tournament.  
2.  Anderson's statement about Ollie helping him develop his game is short sighted to say the least.  He already knows our staff can improve his game (or at least he should) because it happened over the last two years.  Kevin Ollie and his staff are not going to spend 5 seconds working with a grad a transfer they picked up out of desperation because of a rash of departures.  He will be taught their system and they will get out of him this year what they can.  There will be no development of his game because he is not a part of the future of that program.  He will be an after thought as they spend every waking minute trying to find the next top 100 guard.  
3.  As far as going pro, I think we can all agree he is not going to the NBA and that he is not remotely close.  So he is going to play in Europe.  I do not see how playing at UCONN will make any difference in his pro prospects for Europe.  Rhoomes Thomas and even Canty are playing pro ball in Europe.  Playing big minutes in the Atlantic 10 would give him enough exposure to get to the pros in Europe.  Playing 10 minutes a game on a mediocre UCONN is not going to do a thing for his pro prospects.  

He will be practicing against higher level players, so the tougher competition (and better facilities) will make him better. I think he will get some good run over there, the problems they had were that they were soft and didn't play defense so he can help with that.
Report Spam   Logged
NYRam07
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 18, 2017, 10:39:17 am »

That's what happens when you have so many different people providing their opinion.

The real test is to see if anyone has contradicted themselves.
Report Spam   Logged
ace93
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 18, 2017, 10:46:19 am »

The real test is to see if anyone has contradicted themselves.

True.

I will say however that the way I view AA, I think he would have been really important to us, but I do not think he is the type of player that moves the needle at UConn. He was not all A10 in anything ever, but still was important to us. If he gets a lot of time, I don't think UConn is dancing next season. As of right now, I do not think many are projecting them to be in.
Report Spam   Logged

NYRam07
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 18, 2017, 10:51:36 am »

True.

I will say however that the way I view AA, I think he would have been really important to us, but I do not think he is the type of player that moves the needle at UConn. He was not all A10 in anything ever, but still was important to us. If he gets a lot of time, I don't think UConn is dancing next season. As of right now, I do not think many are projecting them to be in.

100% Agree on the AA's value to Fordham. No clue on what he'll do at UCONN or if it was a good move. Time will tell.
Report Spam   Logged
cbbdan
Freshman

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 18, 2017, 10:57:24 am »

AA and Sengfelder were here for 4 years and 3 years, respectively. Saying we cant keep them on campus is inaccurate. They graduated. Neubie has only lost 2 of his own recruits since he was hired and both claimed they were leaving due to being homesick and not being able to adapt to living in NY. Let's give Neubie 3 years of his own recruits and see who stays and who goes. Right now he has an 80% retention rate. So far he is doing a lot better than the prior coach in this regard and he is winning a lot more games as well.    

Players are transferring in droves. Does Penn State have inadequate facilities, or UVA or Rice or the scores of other schools being hit with multiple transfers out?  GW, George Mason, VCU.....and on and on......players don't stay at a school and graduate after 3 or 4 years and then take a grad year elsewhere due to facilities, I don't think that is the reason, nor have we seen any evidence of that being the reason, for these transfers.....
I agree about the transfer thing, its college basketball as a whole. With that said that just means we have no excuse, we need to get active in the transfer market. 2 types of transfers that would work for us:

A) High major player who was a three or four star guy and did not get enough playing time at the highest level, but if he dropped a level would be one of the best on that team.
Fazekas would be this type of player

B) Lower level guy puts up good numbers and wants to transfer up. This doesn't necessarily have to be scoring either. If a guy puts up 7-10 rebounds in a lower level conference, its safe to say he can rebound pretty well at any college level, remember rebounding is the skill that translates the most in basketball even from college to the nba. Lately these types have been tougher to get because they have been getting poached by high majors.

In regards to facilities, you'd have to be in denial to think it doesn't have an impact on the basketball program. Maybe not with players transferring out but definitely with recruiting. We struggle to get players because our facilities are HS level. High school prospects and transfers visit and most likely are not impressed with what they see compared to other universities, combine that with the lack of success in the 21st century and its almost impossible to get good players. You can get away with one or the other but not both, we can't re-write history, so improved facilities is the obvious answer, until then its always going to be the way it has been.

Report Spam   Logged
cbbdan
Freshman

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 18, 2017, 11:11:43 am »

Do you talk to people like this in real life?
This is the way that he is on this board. Its why until recently I don't even post, because Rich93 will tell you that your wrong and must be stupid or idiotic. Its actually really annoying and rude, and Ace or whatever your name is you need to address this guy, not everyone on the board like you do, just him.
Report Spam   Logged
ace93
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 18, 2017, 11:18:15 am »

This is the way that he is on this board. Its why until recently I don't even post, because Rich93 will tell you that your wrong and must be stupid or idiotic. Its actually really annoying and rude, and Ace or whatever your name is you need to address this guy, not everyone on the board like you do, just him.

It's been addressed, but it's clearly a work in progress. Not sure what the part of your post that I bolded means.
Report Spam   Logged

drunkle
Freshman

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 18, 2017, 11:32:19 am »

UConn was #96 in kenpom this past year.  Fifth in the AAC.  AAC was top heavy, with SMU and Cincy ranked higher than any A-10 team at 11 and 23, respectively.  Rhode Island led the A-10 at 34.  But the Bonnies were 5th in the A-10 at 91, higher than UConn, and Richmond was as well, at 92.

Despite the storied history, and certainly UConn as a team is a step up from Fordham (more than a step), the competition he will face in practice or on the court isn't much different than what he faced in the A-10.  Jaylen Adams on St. Bonaventure is better than Jalen Adams on UConn (well, maybe; UConn's Adams was a 5 star top 25 recruit, the Bonnie's guy is a 2 star recruit, but has starred in college).  And, while maybe Anderson will surprise and get more PT, the feeling is (per UConn's sbnation blog) that he is the 4th guard behind Adams (#23 recruit in his class, 5 star), Gilbert (#35, 4 star) and Vital (#167, 3 star).  All more highly thought of as recruits than Anderson (unranked 2 star).  And they still may land Tremont Waters.

UConn should get Terry larrier back at small forward.  he was injured last year early.  Ranked #33 in his class, 4 star out of The Bronx.  But they have lost 3 transfers, the next generation of bigs, with Brimah and Facey graduating.  They also lose Purvis, their 2nd leading scorer behind Adams.  And they have a couple of forwards coming in, guys in the mid-100s, and a JC transfer.

Their guard play should be ok.  Anderson is actually a better outside shooter than Gilbert has shown to be thus far.  AA is athletic and is a good on-ball defender.  UConn has obviously had some great guard play both under Calhoun and under Ollie.  Ollie played in the NBA.  It'll be an interesting experience for AA.  Will they make the NCAA's?  Probably not, but they could surprise.  They were a bit of team in turmoil too, a down year and then losing 3 seniors and 3 transfers, and losing their top recruit.    

I don't think he's going to get in the NBA.  Although he certainly is athletic enough.  A tad short, but basically it's a skills question.  I think mostly it is a chance for him to experience life at the high levels of college basketball, the surroundings, more than actual improvement as a player.  He may learn a thing or 2, but I think starting in the A-10 beats being a bench player in the AAC for basketball experience (as opposed to life experience).  I don't blame him for wanting to see what it is like.  Whether he stayed or not he will be a euro-player.

Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: