fordhamfans.com
September 24, 2017, 10:01:20 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Gallery Login Register  

Alessandro Acquaviva - Retiring from Italian Basketball

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Alessandro Acquaviva - Retiring from Italian Basketball  (Read 328 times)
PeterMartin08
Senior

View Profile
« on: April 18, 2017, 04:03:51 pm »

Turning back the clock here. It's been...15 years now? Former "the bad coach"-connection, Italian walk-on Alessandro Acquaviva is retiring from Italian basketball. I couldn't tell you what team/level he played on, but 15 years is 15 years...

From his Facebook account, I saw the following on my newsfeed (along with the Fordham logo) - so he does take pride in that...I'm going to post this, because I'm nearly certain that he would want it shared.

The translation from Italian is rough, but you get the (dramatic) gist:

... and here we are... we are: it's time to say goodbye to that ball to cloves that so faithfully drove me over the last 25 years of my life!
However, I do so with serenity, with happiness... without sadness! I know: I'm sure I will miss! That his noise while bounces on the floor or that her scent of leather old and worn I shall miss them.... it is right that's it! But today I feel like I'm ready to continue this my adventure without more that balloon at my side... because I want to do it! I want to spend more time with my wife! I want to see my babies grow up!
I want to watch that balloon and smile, remembering all those emotions that gave me! I'm extremely glad of these 25 years together. He gave me so much that balloon... and for that, will always be in my heart, in my memories. Impossible in these few lines sum up 25 years. And this is not what I want to do. So as it would be impossible to thank and say goodbye to all those people, friends, that thanks to that balloon I met.
What I want to do, however, is only to share with you my decision and tell you that I'm happy to remember with joy my past and to look with enthusiasm my future! And I also want to take advantage of this opportunity to thank just my parents that they gave me the opportunity to meet that balloon of leather, and especially my wife for sharing those moments with me. Thanks to you all of the good times were more joyful and difficult ones less painful! Thank you for being by my side!!!! ... it's time to go now. Hello my dear friend of leather. This Saturday we will play together for the last time. You've been a wonderful friend!!!
I'm gonna miss you!
Report Spam   Logged

Any other team wins the World Series, good for them. They're drinking champagne, they get a ring. But if we win, on our budget, with this team... we'll have changed the game. And that's what I want. I want it to mean something. - Moneyball

Social Buttons

LXRF
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2017, 05:16:09 pm »

I don't know if that was a Google translation from Alessandro's original Italian but the genuine sentiment comes through, even though the Google translations and similar ones frequently look like they are written by the same people who wrtte Chinese take-out menus in NYC. 
Report Spam   Logged
John
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2017, 05:28:44 pm »

Well, good for Alessandro and congratulations to him. Even as a walk-on, he gave us some good memories.  Now (coaching staff, are you listening?) let's enlist him as an ambassador in Italy for Fordham hoops.  There are young school-age players who follow the players in the European leagues, and no doubt some who dream of playing for the American colleges the pros did.

Sometimes we don't realize the impact some of our former players could have. For instance, Jermaine Anderson is widely respected in Canada as the heart of the Canadian National Team for many years.  It's a global game, and we should start some global talent pipelines going.
Report Spam   Logged
Belmont Juice
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2017, 09:20:20 pm »

That was pretty (actually really) cool what he said. To say the least I've never heard basketball described like that. Thanks for sharing it Peter.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: