fordhamfans.com
November 19, 2017, 02:56:49 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Gallery Login Register  

How Others Get Students To games

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How Others Get Students To games  (Read 2036 times)
Chicago Ram
Junior

View Profile
« on: April 19, 2017, 11:26:41 am »

Besides winning - which is the cure all for almost everything...

Take a look at this blog - collects best practices in this area - the link gets you to Loyola of Chicago's Director of marketing and their case study - who, by the way, has taken some time but this year has a great recruiting class. It has taken their coach Moser three/four years to crack the Public League and Chicago suburbs, but he's done it - and bringing in kids who can do the schoolwork and good character.

http://from-now-on.com/blog/2017/4/19/spotlight-loyola-engage-students-attendance

Report Spam   Logged

Social Buttons

Vooter
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2017, 10:47:30 pm »

http://www.chicagonow.com/loyola-rambler-hoops/2012/01/gentile-arena-stacking-up-to-be-tops-in-horizon-league/

http://image1.stadiumjourney.com/images/stadiums/788_View_from_Section_207_at_Gentile_Center

Sincerely,

The Big White Elephant
Report Spam   Logged
Scott W 86
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2017, 01:41:19 am »

Can we really compare ourselves to Loyola?   A big city school in a pro sports town

A Jesuit institution with a historically challenged MBB program.
A two campus school, with the primary campus at the edge of the city, ... and their law, business, and odds&ends, in a high rent part of downtown Chicago.

How can we begin to compare?   Wink Roll Eyes

BTW....thanks for the Marketing example, clever work.  Who would have ever thought "social media"?    Roll Eyes
Report Spam   Logged
Vooter
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2017, 08:39:26 am »

Can we really compare ourselves to Loyola?   A big city school in a pro sports town

A Jesuit institution with a historically challenged MBB program.
A two campus school, with the primary campus at the edge of the city, ... and their law, business, and odds&ends, in a high rent part of downtown Chicago.

How can we begin to compare?   Wink Roll Eyes

Yeah, but don't forget--we're a "national" university. Which means...um...well...you know...
Report Spam   Logged
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2017, 10:53:04 am »

Premature post.

How to get players to games.
Report Spam   Logged
alanccrx
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2017, 10:55:54 am »

Premature post.

+1000............!!!!
Report Spam   Logged
Scott W 86
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2017, 10:56:26 am »

Premature post.

Agreed, but didn't you and Rich93 scold us to sit and wait?  Not to talk about our recruiting process and progress?

I predict we will get three or four players  Wink
Report Spam   Logged
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2017, 11:01:43 am »

You cant evaluate the recruiting class until it is announced.  Even then, you have to wait until the first game to see who is actually there, through the Clearinghouse, and in uniform.  Right now we have to get some players. One step at a time.  Im not predicting one way or another but until we know who is signed, premature.
Report Spam   Logged
rambacker
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2017, 10:27:01 pm »

This is how Rhode Island gets students to games - they build a new, state of the art arena, and this happens:

https://www.fanragsports.com/news/alabama-uri-will-begin-home-home-series/
Report Spam   Logged
Vooter
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2017, 12:08:31 am »

This is how Rhode Island gets students to games - they build a new, state of the art arena, and this happens:

Well, that's about as random a matchup as they come (Alabama actually leads the all-time series, 1-0), but needless to say, you're right...
Report Spam   Logged
FUCoP69
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2017, 01:19:35 am »

And the University of Rhode Island is a public university whose new arena was built with taxpayer dollars. The last time I checked, Fordham doesn't have access to such a funding source.

So I guess that we will have to come up with a different strategy. A winning record might inspire an increased interest among the students.
Report Spam   Logged

Fordham: The oldest and winningest NCAA Division I baseball program.
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2017, 09:00:23 am »

SUNY Fordham.
Report Spam   Logged
rambacker
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2017, 09:53:52 am »

And the University of Rhode Island is a public university whose new arena was built with taxpayer dollars. The last time I checked, Fordham doesn't have access to such a funding source.

So I guess that we will have to come up with a different strategy. A winning record might inspire an increased interest among the students.

There will always be an excuse. Just do it.
Report Spam   Logged
DamnRam
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2017, 10:05:27 am »

Besides winning - which is the cure all for almost everything...

Take a look at this blog - collects best practices in this area - the link gets you to Loyola of Chicago's Director of marketing and their case study - who, by the way, has taken some time but this year has a great recruiting class. It has taken their coach Moser three/four years to crack the Public League and Chicago suburbs, but he's done it - and bringing in kids who can do the schoolwork and good character.

http://from-now-on.com/blog/2017/4/19/spotlight-loyola-engage-students-attendance

It's a good example of a successful tactic.  Doing LOTS of things like this can definitely make a difference. 

However, the real solution here is to look at the long term.  If attendance is important, then you have to plan for that across the board.  I think it actually starts with the kind of student you recruit.  If you recruit kids who don't care about sports and school spirit, then you've got an uphill climb and have to do a lot more work to get kids to games than if you recruit kids who care about sports and school spirit in the first place.  Obviously that's hard to do when you have a long-losing program and bad facilities, but I presume it would all be done as part of a long range strategic plan.
Report Spam   Logged
xtey92a
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2017, 10:51:25 am »

NYS Dorm Authority only helps with Dorms and Libraries. Hospitals and Courthouses can also gain NYSDA funding. No wonder FU so easily gets dorms up and running.
Report Spam   Logged

#GoRamsGo!
Scott W 86
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2017, 11:27:17 am »

There are long lists of private universities the have figured out how to do both....
-Build
-Win

We've been off the first list in basketball since 1925
We've generally been off the second for the past several generations.

The problem is "us"
Report Spam   Logged
x6thman
Freshman

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2017, 12:18:24 pm »

I went back and looked at some of the season statistics from 2002-2003 onward. Some takeaways (some you already know and some may surprise you):

1.) We have been over .500 only twice this century ('06-'07 and '15-'16).

2.) Our average home attendance since 2002 is roughly 2,300. 

3.) Not much of a surprise, but our most impressive season, home attendance wise, was '06-'07 (18-12 record).

4.) Despite similar records, the '06-'07 Rams drew roughly 225 more fans at home than did the '15-'16 Rams.
Report Spam   Logged
RickFC77
Junior

Where was Lembo when I needed him?

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2017, 12:37:23 pm »

If you want the snowflakes to attend games tell them the RHG is a safe space and that everyone who attends the game will get a participation trophy.
Report Spam   Logged

“Hail men of Fordham hail."
Scott W 86
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2017, 01:24:46 pm »

If you want the snowflakes to attend games tell them the RHG is a safe space and that everyone who attends the game will get a participation trophy.

Plus a coloring book, and a chance to hold one of the 'stress relief puppies'

At Yale, I heard one of the stress puppies crapped on a male (sorry, who am I to gender identify the student).... and the Junior had a meltdown. They had to stop the game while counselors rushed in to help the whole section.
Report Spam   Logged
fholbr
Freshman

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2017, 01:32:31 pm »

My daughter graduated FU 2 yrs ago. She was in a Marketing class and the teacher gave them an assignment to come up with a strategy to get people to go to FU BB games. The students all protested because they felt the teacher was asking the impossible because BB stinks.
He still made them do it. What they came up with was to hire celebrities to attend the games. That was the season where Bill Murray attended a game because his son was an assistant at RI. My daughter said that news of Murray at the game shot through the campus and kids rushed to the game.

So lets hire celebrities!
Report Spam   Logged
DamnRam
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2017, 01:48:34 pm »

My daughter graduated FU 2 yrs ago. She was in a Marketing class and the teacher gave them an assignment to come up with a strategy to get people to go to FU BB games. The students all protested because they felt the teacher was asking the impossible because BB stinks.
He still made them do it. What they came up with was to hire celebrities to attend the games. That was the season where Bill Murray attended a game because his son was an assistant at RI. My daughter said that news of Murray at the game shot through the campus and kids rushed to the game.

So lets hire celebrities!

I wouldn't say hire (because there isn't enough budget for that kind of thing), but I would say invite.  I said a long time ago here that Fordham's RHG could be positioned as "authentic" as opposed to all the McSame cinder block made-for-TV generic sports palaces.  For those in search of authenticity, sitting/suffering through a game at the RHG could be a way to show you are "hardcore" when it comes to your appreciation of a genuine "cathedral of college basketball", or your appreciation for a legitimate NYC landmark and institution.  It's a niche play to be sure, but you only need to have a few celebrities popping in to start generating the buzz.  Then it gets easier as other celebrities want to get in on it.
Report Spam   Logged
NYRam07
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 01, 2017, 01:52:28 pm »

Offer a raffle ticket for every game you attend. Once new plans for an arena are announced, we pull a raffle ticket and the winner gets to push the button that blows up the RHG.

Report Spam   Logged
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 01, 2017, 01:55:26 pm »

Each dorm should get to sponsor one home game and compete for the best production with a prize at the end.  First home game, its Martyrs Court's night. They promote it they make noise and banners and the whole 9 and maybe toss a big keg party for the winners at end of season. That would probably cover about what, 10 home games?  Then the derelicts like me could have "off campus 558 Night" !
Report Spam   Logged
jimbo65
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 01, 2017, 02:26:07 pm »

Offer a raffle ticket for every game you attend. Once new plans for an arena are announced, we pull a raffle ticket and the winner gets to push the button that blows up the RHG.

Or first prize is a weekend with Frank, second prize, two weekends.
Report Spam   Logged
ram64
Freshman

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 01, 2017, 03:21:56 pm »

Or first prize is a weekend with Frank, second prize, two weekends.

Or an "Astro-Turf" participation trophy.  Grin
Report Spam   Logged
x6thman
Freshman

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 02, 2017, 12:27:24 pm »

I wouldn't say hire (because there isn't enough budget for that kind of thing), but I would say invite.  I said a long time ago here that Fordham's RHG could be positioned as "authentic" as opposed to all the McSame cinder block made-for-TV generic sports palaces.  For those in search of authenticity, sitting/suffering through a game at the RHG could be a way to show you are "hardcore" when it comes to your appreciation of a genuine "cathedral of college basketball", or your appreciation for a legitimate NYC landmark and institution.  It's a niche play to be sure, but you only need to have a few celebrities popping in to start generating the buzz.  Then it gets easier as other celebrities want to get in on it.

"Come for the celebrities, stay for the basketball?"

Ask yourself - why do alums and students attend football games, but not basketball games? Ok, part of it has to do with the football team being very successful, part of it is football games are just once a week (on Saturdays). BUT the main reason is the fan experience is far superior! The sights, smells, the fan experience before, during and after a Fordham football game is far better than a Fordham basketball game. Tailgating in the parking lot. Actual concession stands and restrooms. Cheering fans. The victory bell, singing the Fordham fight song. It's an experience.

As for basketball, you can almost have dinner at the cafeteria without ever knowing there's a basketball game going on 50 feet away from you. Part of the problem is the gym, no doubt. Part of it is building a culture where students actually care about the team and the game (I think we've regressed in this regard). Part of it is a lack of creativity by the athletic administration to build a more robust fan "experience". Who at Fordham is looking at these different things holistically? They need a task force with a budget behind it and make this a full time effort.
Report Spam   Logged
xtey92a
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 02, 2017, 02:18:29 pm »

I think Fordham is admitting kids who are not interested in sports.
Report Spam   Logged

#GoRamsGo!
w89
Sophomore

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 02, 2017, 02:51:26 pm »

Will a visit by Alabama really get more URI students to the game?

And suppose Alabama was coming to Rose Hill; I know that'd be a big deal with those of us on this board, but would it resonate in the dorms? I'm not so sure.
Report Spam   Logged
ramfan01
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 02, 2017, 03:01:32 pm »

I think Fordham is admitting kids who are not interested in sports.

This, plus I don't think that students who are into sports apply to Fordham anymore
Report Spam   Logged
NYRam07
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 02, 2017, 03:05:21 pm »

This, plus I don't think that students who are into sports apply to Fordham anymore

I didn't think you had to be into sports to enjoy the experience of a college sporting event. That's the problem though imo... we don't provide an experience.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: