fordhamfans.com
August 21, 2017, 04:27:55 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Gallery Login Register  

St. Peter's transfer Antwon Portley has committed to Fordham

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: St. Peter's transfer Antwon Portley has committed to Fordham  (Read 2201 times)
Buzz
Sophomore

View Profile
« on: April 26, 2017, 10:21:26 pm »

Per Rothstein
Report Spam   Logged

Social Buttons

Jaden Daly
Sophomore

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2017, 10:23:49 pm »

Excellent get. Don't let the sophomore year numbers fool you...he had a lesser role because Dunne had three transfers sitting out the year before.
Report Spam   Logged
RAM71
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2017, 10:30:56 pm »

Sits one... plays one...graduates...?

Does not help next year. I am not crazy about this.
Report Spam   Logged
PeterMartin08
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2017, 10:32:56 pm »

Confirmed.

14ppg in Year 1 at STP.
FG attempts dropped from 11.5 to 7.5 from Freshman to Sophomore Year

His career-high was his first game - ever. 30 points. That may be a first.
Report Spam   Logged

Any other team wins the World Series, good for them. They're drinking champagne, they get a ring. But if we win, on our budget, with this team... we'll have changed the game. And that's what I want. I want it to mean something. - Moneyball
PeterMartin08
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2017, 10:35:35 pm »

A good read on Portley from Year 1:

http://www.nycbuckets.com/2016/01/texas-freshman-antwon-portley-leading-saint-peters-fast-start/

Now, what happened last year?
Report Spam   Logged

Any other team wins the World Series, good for them. They're drinking champagne, they get a ring. But if we win, on our budget, with this team... we'll have changed the game. And that's what I want. I want it to mean something. - Moneyball
avon barksdale
Freshman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2017, 10:39:36 pm »

A good read on Portley from Year 1:

http://www.nycbuckets.com/2016/01/texas-freshman-antwon-portley-leading-saint-peters-fast-start/

Now, what happened last year?

I think Jaden mentioned the influx of guards that came in, maybe not enough shots to go around, plus if puce watched St. Peter's recently, they'd be happy to win a game 10-6.

Good get, kid has an ability to score, and it's some actual news!
Report Spam   Logged
joeb
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2017, 10:41:43 pm »

Report Spam   Logged
ace93
Arbitrary and Capricious Administrator
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2017, 10:44:37 pm »

Sits one... plays one...graduates...?

Does not help next year. I am not crazy about this.

You'd be crazy to be crazy about it, but equally as crazy to not be ok with it.
Report Spam   Logged

Nothing replaces success in the revenue sports.  Nothing.  That's not to take away from the success in the Olympic sports - they do matter.  It isn't a replacement for success in the flagship sports. - Debbie Yow, AD - NC State
greenwood
Sophomore

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2017, 10:44:54 pm »

Looking at the per 40 minute stats, 2 point % went down and FT rate went way down.  We need a much better FT rate as a team.  But assist and steal rates went up.  Always good to have guys with scorer mentality and if he plays good D, all the better.  
Report Spam   Logged
PeterMartin08
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2017, 10:48:31 pm »

Looking at the per 40 minute stats, 2 point % went down and FT rate went way down.  We need a much better FT rate as a team.  But assist and steal rates went up.  Always good to have guys with scorer mentality and if he plays good D, all the better.  

Yeah, I think there's more here than just "more guards in Year 2, too many shots to go around..."

He does look long, should get layups all night in a JN zone.

Report Spam   Logged

Rich93
Class of 93
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2017, 10:50:13 pm »

Looks solid.   Can't judge one guy have to see the whole recruiting class. Still 3 open ships. 
Report Spam   Logged

WINNING MATTERS
greenwood
Sophomore

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2017, 11:03:25 pm »

Against us last year we shut him out in 23 minutes, 6 turnovers. So he's familiar with our D.  Grin

We were pretty good that day though.
Report Spam   Logged
joeb
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2017, 11:12:48 pm »

He sits one and another plays two, no? Nevermind . We need to institute the Gaitley rule and limit summer courses like other schools.
Report Spam   Logged
An Old Coach
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2017, 11:24:15 pm »

He's from St. Peter's. Isn't that in the vastly inferior MAAC?  Great
Report Spam   Logged
John
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2017, 11:29:22 pm »

Is this the "player to be named later" in the Marvin Dominique transfer?  So we lose an Antwoine and pick up an Antwon?  Well, I guess he'll be our first Dallas-area player since . . . uh, ever.

Looks like there's solid material for JN to work with here. Solid HS career, coach's son, All-MAAC Rookie Team, 3-time MAAC Rookie of the week. Good length at 6'4", but at 165 -- buy the lad a protein shake and get him to Willie Cruz, quickly!

Antwon, welcome to Fordham!
Report Spam   Logged
97Ram
Sophomore

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2017, 11:36:17 pm »

Looks a lot like Brandon Frazier on video.  Certainly looks like he can be a good contributor in 2 years, especially after a year of getting stronger and practicing with the team.  At the very least, he's a replacement for Tavares.  Hoping for some news soon of guys who can help next year. 
Report Spam   Logged
joesunfish
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2017, 11:54:50 pm »

Confirmed.

14ppg in Year 1 at STP.
FG attempts dropped from 11.5 to 7.5 from Freshman to Sophomore Year

His career-high was his first game - ever. 30 points. That may be a first.

"That may be a first." Really? Please check first games for Jon Severe & Eric Paschall.

Welcome aboard, Antwon!
Report Spam   Logged
Ketchum1
Waterboy

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2017, 07:15:48 am »

"That may be a first." Really? Please check first games for Jon Severe & Eric Paschall.

Welcome aboard, Antwon!
See full house on his visit to RHG. Three in the end zone seats are first cousins on his fathers side.
Report Spam   Logged
RAM71
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2017, 07:46:40 am »

You'd be crazy to be crazy about it, but equally as crazy to not be ok with it.

Ha Ha! Good one.  Grin

The only time I saw him play was against us last November. My recollection is that he had trouble handling the ball and was turnover prone. Maybe just a bad game.

It seems I am among the few who had higher expectations for our first commitment. If we are going to take a transfer who sits a year, plays a year and is then eligible to transfer as a graduate, it should be a real difference maker. I should probably be more realistic. But as a Fordham fan, I hope Antwon has a great career at Fordham. I will be rooting for him.   
Report Spam   Logged
RAM71
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2017, 07:53:42 am »

He sits one and another plays two, no? Nevermind . We need to institute the Gaitley rule and limit summer courses like other schools.

I agree with you about limiting the summer courses, assuming we are permitted to do that. I don't see why not.

I was speaking with a woman whose son-in-law played for Bucknell and her daughter also went there. She happened to mention that he was required to stay on campus during the summers and work out with the team. I asked if he also took classes. She said no- the school would not pay for summer classes. That was three or four years ago so maybe that policy has changed.
Report Spam   Logged
joeb
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2017, 08:03:52 am »

If he was coming in after that freshman year it would be a no brainer. But Then again he would probably be a high major target like kiss and Dixon. 14 ppg as a true frosh is impressive. By the time he plays for us he will be 21 and his length and shooting ability are intriguing.  now we need players for next year. Go 🐑S
Report Spam   Logged
Rich93
Class of 93
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2017, 08:10:52 am »

If he was coming in after that freshman year it would be a no brainer. But Then again he would probably be a high major target like kiss and Dixon. 14 ppg as a true frosh is impressive. By the time he plays for us he will be 21 and his length and shooting ability are intriguing.  now we need players for next year. Go 🐑S

Stop making sense. 

And if he transferred from P5 you would say if he is so good he would not be transferring down likely MAAC level player.

I personally prefer transfers up in conference, note that MAAC fans are bitching that their best underclassman are leaving for higher levels. 
Report Spam   Logged

WINNING MATTERS
joeb
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 27, 2017, 08:16:07 am »

https://collegecourtreport.com/2017/04/20/top-25-transfers-from-non-power-programs-in-2017-april-20th/
Portley makes this list at #25. Majority of guys on list are high major targets.
Report Spam   Logged
joeb
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 27, 2017, 08:26:37 am »

And if he transferred from P5 you would say if he is so good he would not be transferring down likely MAAC level player.

I personally prefer transfers up in conference, note that MAAC fans are bitching that their best underclassman are leaving for higher levels. 
[/quote]
Maac and NEC are getting wiped out. This trend is also probably bad for jucos.
Report Spam   Logged
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 27, 2017, 08:46:09 am »

We replaced Antwoine with Antwon.

Nice job. Keep em coming Neubie. 

Welcome Antwon.
Report Spam   Logged
ramfan01
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 27, 2017, 08:50:56 am »

Good length at 6'4", but at 165 -- buy the lad a protein shake and get him to Willie Cruz, quickly!

Perhaps he has a phobia of being fat, I know I would with that name Grin
Report Spam   Logged
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 27, 2017, 08:52:46 am »

The weight and strength thing are over-rated. See Ohams dominating Allie-Cox last year. Does it help to be stronger, of course, but too man skinny guys are really good hoops players.

Length over strength.

BTW, I dont know the player at all. Re-visit in 20 months.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2017, 09:25:23 am by 85 » Report Spam   Logged
ace93
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 27, 2017, 09:56:23 am »

The weight and strength thing are over-rated. See Ohams dominating Allie-Cox last year. Does it help to be stronger, of course, but too man skinny guys are really good hoops players.

Length over strength.

BTW, I dont know the player at all. Re-visit in 20 months.

I would take it a step further and add that you don't have to be bulky in order to be strong.
Report Spam   Logged

Nothing replaces success in the revenue sports.  Nothing.  That's not to take away from the success in the Olympic sports - they do matter.  It isn't a replacement for success in the flagship sports. - Debbie Yow, AD - NC State
ace93
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 27, 2017, 09:57:58 am »

I agree with you about limiting the summer courses, assuming we are permitted to do that. I don't see why not.

I was speaking with a woman whose son-in-law played for Bucknell and her daughter also went there. She happened to mention that he was required to stay on campus during the summers and work out with the team. I asked if he also took classes. She said no- the school would not pay for summer classes. That was three or four years ago so maybe that policy has changed.

Total sidetrack, but I believe that is *not* within the rules. Paying room & board for someone that is not taking summer courses is not allowed as far as I know.
Report Spam   Logged

Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 27, 2017, 10:04:59 am »

I would take it a step further and add that you don't have to be bulky in order to be strong.

Probably more on point.

People assume guys who are skinny arent strong and also assume big bulky guys are strong. Branden Frazier didnt look very strong but he got a lot fo tough rebounds. Michael Binns looked like a monster but never mixed it up inside. Countless more examples.
Report Spam   Logged
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 27, 2017, 10:11:16 am »

Could have had a great backcourt: Fatty & Portly.
Report Spam   Logged
shortshot
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 27, 2017, 10:17:24 am »

Antwon was a 2* recruit out of HS. This is the normal level of recruits under JN, albeit with 2 years of D1 ball under his belt. I am confident JN and his staff can further his development.
Report Spam   Logged
drunkle
Sophomore

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 27, 2017, 12:08:57 pm »

Not only did his shots go down in year 2, but his efficiency as well.  His PER went from 14 to 10.1, TS% from .527 to .480 (at least he can hit FTs), his FT rate went down.  He got a little better on D.

Interestingly, this was partly a non-conference issue.  He was almost as good in conference in year 2, again counting totals and per game totals down, but he shot better from 3 in conference last year, eFG% up.  Actually he was better in conference from 3 than out of conference each year.  He shot .367 from 3 this year.

Not great from 2.  But I like him.  Didn't score big numbers but didn't seem overwhelmed in games against Notre Dame and Maryland.  He has room for growth and looks like a decent player.  He seemed to end the season fairly well, last 10 games hit 43% of his 3s, 22-51, as St. Peter's won the CIT.  Hopefully we see improvement under JN like with Rhoomes, Anderson and Thomas.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2017, 01:01:24 pm by drunkle » Report Spam   Logged
DamnRam
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 27, 2017, 12:10:56 pm »

Fordham and its fans are no longer in any position to look down on the MAAC or any player from the MAAC.  Until Fordham convincingly proves itself worthy of being called an A10 team beyond just by virtue of being a member of the conference, we should not try to "big time" anyone over conference affiliation.  To do so is to show we have learned nothing from the disaster that has unfolded since we joined the A10 so many years ago.
Report Spam   Logged
Waffle
Waterboy

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 27, 2017, 12:13:06 pm »

Portley is a good player. He can score.  Helped St. Peter's win the CIT this year.
Report Spam   Logged
An Old Coach
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 27, 2017, 12:46:38 pm »

Fordham and its fans are no longer in any position to look down on the MAAC or any player from the MAAC.  Until Fordham convincingly proves itself worthy of being called an A10 team beyond just by virtue of being a member of the conference, we should not try to "big time" anyone over conference affiliation.  To do so is to show we have learned nothing from the disaster that has unfolded since we joined the A10 so many years ago.

I agree 100%!  Given when any the MAAC finds its way into post, though, there are a deluge of responses on how inferior it is.  Now we're celebrating the transfer of a role player.  The irony...
Report Spam   Logged
PeterMartin08
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 27, 2017, 12:53:17 pm »

Portley is a good player. He can score.  Helped St. Peter's win the CIT this year.

It's an L if you're in the CIT...(in jest, mostly)
Report Spam   Logged

Waffle
Waterboy

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 27, 2017, 12:57:52 pm »

It's an L if you're in the CIT...(in jest, mostly)
Cheesy
Report Spam   Logged
xtey92a
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 28, 2017, 08:59:17 am »

Jesuit, nothing inferior about a Jesuit College!  Evil
Report Spam   Logged

#GoRamsGo!
Scott W 86
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 29, 2017, 08:20:12 pm »

Thanks for the link Joeb.... looks like he'll be a solid contributor when he's eligible.  I agree with those saying we should be getting transfers up... it's the natural order of things.  A 'market correction' when a guy is recruited lower than his potential.

Question:  In the video's music, do you think that's the original Alvin and all of the original Chipmunks.  I thought one left with a drug problem.

Question/Observation: How embarrassing is it to see his highlights in the empty RHG?  I've never seen it that bad.
Report Spam   Logged
rambacker
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 12, 2017, 07:35:47 pm »

According to Evan Daniels, as of today there are 702 total college basketball transfers and 232 of them have yet to make a decision about their next destination. That does not count Jucos.
Report Spam   Logged
Belmont Juice
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 12, 2017, 09:04:55 pm »

Really happy about this get! I have been waiting (and waiting) for some good news, and this is it. Hopefully more to come.
Report Spam   Logged
rambacker
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 12, 2017, 11:18:01 pm »

Really happy about this get! I have been waiting (and waiting) for some good news, and this is it. Hopefully more to come.

There will be more to come.
Report Spam   Logged
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 13, 2017, 07:59:23 am »

There will be more to come.

They have decided  to name the court after Adam West instead of the McLaughlins?
Report Spam   Logged
Battering Ram
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 13, 2017, 08:35:49 am »

They have decided  to name the court after Adam West instead of the McLaughlins?
POW!
Report Spam   Logged
rambacker
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: June 13, 2017, 09:02:43 am »

+1. Lol.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: