fordhamfans.com
October 23, 2017, 07:33:05 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Gallery Login Register  

Why the RHG is to be Named for McGlaughlin

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Why the RHG is to be Named for McGlaughlin  (Read 5897 times)
charlietags
Senior

View Profile
« on: May 11, 2017, 11:08:47 am »

Gents in my discussion with a member of Fordham U regarding the decision to remove Chic Fil A from campus which I find totally disheartening since we ARE a Jesuit University and should be supportive of Christian values, but I am off topic.

The Alumni who donated all the money to refurbish the gym are close friends of Frank M and did did it on the condition   that the gym be renamed for Frank. I would have told them to keep their money.  I also told this individual he should read this forum to see that there are many Alumni who are extremely unhappy with the direction the University has taken regarding sports. He was very understanding.  I truly believe until we get new leadership that understands the symbiotic relationship between sports and academics we will never get near to becoming "The preeminent Catholic University" in the country.
Report Spam   Logged

Social Buttons

Bay Ridge
Freshman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2017, 11:17:44 am »

Charlie are you sure it is the building and not just the floor that is being re-named.
Report Spam   Logged
Vooter
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2017, 11:21:44 am »

Actually, I can't think of anything more appropriate than putting Frank's name on that piece of crap. Let HIM own it...
Report Spam   Logged
fholbr
Freshman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2017, 11:23:43 am »

I posted this earlier today on the "Stupid Poll" thread:

Dayton Basketball‏
Verified account
 @DaytonMBB  18s
18 seconds ago

More
Visit http://TransformUDArena.com  to check out our sweet $72 million renovation of UD Arena

It is ridiculous that $2.5m gets you naming rights. I would love to see how the AD and admin feel about the investment Dayton is making.
Report Spam   Logged
SIram
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2017, 11:37:27 am »

Gents in my discussion with a member of Fordham U regarding the decision to remove Chic Fil A from campus which I find totally disheartening since we ARE a Jesuit University and should be supportive of Christian values, but I am off topic.

The Alumni who donated all the money to refurbish the gym are close friends of Frank M and did did it on the condition   that the gym be renamed for Frank. I would have told them to keep their money.  I also told this individual he should read this forum to see that there are many Alumni who are extremely unhappy with the direction the University has taken regarding sports. He was very understanding.  I truly believe until we get new leadership that understands the symbiotic relationship between sports and academics we will never get near to becoming "The preeminent Catholic University" in the country.

I would love to hear what they think after reading this forum, reality can be a sobering experience

For the small sum offered and the piddling improvements provided it would have been better for the University to have said no thanks
Report Spam   Logged
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2017, 11:40:08 am »

Charlie, you have this all wrong my friend.

This is not about people who donated the money. The money is still woefully short of the goal. This is an on-going "campaign" , with a solicitation to everyone for donations. Still open, last I checked......  Which actually makes it even worse. They decided to name the court after Frank, and wanted us to pay for it!
Report Spam   Logged
NYRam07
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2017, 11:51:33 am »

Chic isn't being removed from campus. They were never here.
Report Spam   Logged
KPW
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2017, 12:39:48 pm »

Chick-Fil-A McLaughlin Family Court at Field Turf Gymnasium
Report Spam   Logged
x6thman
Freshman

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2017, 07:14:56 pm »

I've said it before, for every $1 dollar from Frank's donors there are $2 dollars on the sidelines that refuse to endorse this craziness. The athletic department convinces itself that these people donate and therefore its the best they can do, but it doesn't "grow the nest" by coming out with a clear vision and a bold goal. Why would someone want to donate under these circumstances?
Report Spam   Logged
charlietags
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2017, 07:42:24 pm »

Charlie, you have this all wrong my friend.

This is not about people who donated the money. The money is still woefully short of the goal. This is an on-going "campaign" , with a solicitation to everyone for donations. Still open, last I checked......  Which actually makes it even worse. They decided to name the court after Frank, and wanted us to pay for it!

Roger that 85.  the whole thing stinks.  Be well my friends.
Report Spam   Logged
JohnG92
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2017, 08:00:41 pm »

I've said it before, for every $1 dollar from Frank's donors there are $2 dollars on the sidelines that refuse to endorse this craziness. The athletic department convinces itself that these people donate and therefore its the best they can do, but it doesn't "grow the nest" by coming out with a clear vision and a bold goal. Why would someone want to donate under these circumstances?

I think that is correct, but probably 1 for 4 though...
Report Spam   Logged
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2017, 08:07:43 pm »

This is actually the first and possibly only issue in board history that has everyone on same page.
Report Spam   Logged
shortshot
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2017, 08:52:35 pm »

This is actually the first and possibly only issue in board history that has everyone on same page.
Agree.
Report Spam   Logged
LXRF
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2017, 01:08:27 am »

There will not be any naming of the RHG for any  " McGlaughlin," rest assured.  It's possible, if enough investors contribute, that the RHG will be named after one or more "McLaughlins".  Wink
Report Spam   Logged
John
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2017, 08:19:43 am »

There will not be any naming of the RHG for any  " McGlaughlin," rest assured.  It's possible, if enough investors contribute, that the RHG will be named after one or more "McLaughlins".  Wink

Who knows? Sports information has a penchant for misspelling things!
Report Spam   Logged
jimbo65
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2017, 09:10:06 am »

We all seem to be in agreement that this is a bad idea. Let me offer an alternative . RHG needs a bathroom. During Frank's tenure the bball program was mostly in the toilet. A perfect match.
Report Spam   Logged
NYRam07
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2017, 09:41:19 am »

We all seem to be in agreement that this is a bad idea. Let me offer an alternative . RHG needs a bathroom. During Frank's tenure the bball program was mostly in the toilet. A perfect match.

There a few bathrooms in the RHG... none of them are made available to the public though!
Report Spam   Logged
RealDeal
Sophomore

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2017, 09:47:32 am »

Cool

Not me.  Frank is a honorable man who was executing policy, not making it.
Report Spam   Logged
ace93
Arbitrary and Capricious Administrator
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2017, 09:50:23 am »

Cool
Not me.  Frank is an honorable man who was executing policy, not making it.

That's fine, but it does not mean a court should be named after him.

I see it similar to an athlete that did everything he was asked to do, but did not set any records and whose team did not win much. That athlete should not be in the Hall of Fame, despite being an honorable athlete.
Report Spam   Logged

Nothing replaces success in the revenue sports.  Nothing.  That's not to take away from the success in the Olympic sports - they do matter.  It isn't a replacement for success in the flagship sports. - Debbie Yow, AD - NC State
RealDeal
Sophomore

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2017, 09:51:45 am »

I see it similar to an athlete that did everything he was asked to do, but did not set any records and whose team did not win much. That athlete should not be in the Hall of Fame, despite being an honorable athlete.

Understood.  But fails to address that Frank was not the decision maker.  Your analogy doesn't work here.  He is an easy target because the Ram Dome didn't get built ...
Report Spam   Logged
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2017, 09:57:28 am »

Did you read this proposal?

The initiative  is actually summarized as help us help our friend Frank.....

This is not simply naming the floor after "Frank" ...rather it is asking fans, alums and former Rams, to pony up money to name the floor after the "McLaughlin Family." The initiative includes  Frank's three (3 ) daughters  who appear to have nothing more on the balance sheet for Fordham otherthan to have accepted free rides to attend Fordham. It also includes a paragraph about three (3)  brothers, two (2)  of whom didnt even go to school at Fordham and none of whom played basketball at Fordham.

So explain how this makes one bit of sense?
« Last Edit: May 12, 2017, 10:17:25 am by 85 » Report Spam   Logged
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2017, 10:24:51 am »

Take it a step further. It is being named after the "Frank Mclaughlin Family." And again, it is not just being named after them, it is a campaign to get others to pay money to name the court after this family.

The proposal and explanation as to why the various family members are worthy of having the court named after them makes absolutely no sense at all.   
Report Spam   Logged
kidfromny
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 12, 2017, 10:27:40 am »

I cannot for the life of me, understand why people keep feeling the desire to rehash the same things over and over again. We sign a 3 star recruit and the board balloons into discussions about academics and frank. 1 step forward 2 steps back.
Report Spam   Logged
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 12, 2017, 10:30:51 am »

So what. Its not in the same thread. Charlie wanted to vent, why is he not allowed to comment and start a thread? the board is not limited solely to threads about recruits.
Report Spam   Logged
DCRam
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 12, 2017, 11:03:18 am »

Cool

Frank led the charge in voiding the progress from the Penders and Big Nick eras.

Honor would dictate finding another job rather than assisting in the destruction of a program on the cusp of great things.
Report Spam   Logged
Vooter
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 12, 2017, 11:09:05 am »

Let me offer an alternative . RHG needs a bathroom.

And a concession stand, rather than a hot dog table...
Report Spam   Logged
SIram
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 12, 2017, 11:09:10 am »

Cool

Feel free to admire Frank for being a loyal soldier and a good man, however after decades of declining athletic performance and no meaningful advancement in facilities it is clear that even Frank should have questioned if AD was a job he was good at, the rest of us sure did

Making excuses and accepting the status quo is what has gotten us into this mess

There is no need to immortalize failure by naming the court after Frank
Report Spam   Logged
An Old Coach
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 12, 2017, 11:11:01 am »

Understood.  But fails to address that Frank was not the decision maker.  Your analogy doesn't work here.  He is an easy target because the Ram Dome didn't get built ...

No.  He's an easy target because he was a spectacular failure in every facet of his job for a quarter century.   Even now refuses to go away gracefully.
Report Spam   Logged
NYRam07
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 12, 2017, 11:34:05 am »

Feel free to admire Frank for being a loyal soldier and a good man, however after decades of declining athletic performance and no meaningful advancement in facilities it is clear that even Frank should have questioned if AD was a job he was good at, the rest of us sure did

Making excuses and accepting the status quo is what has gotten us into this mess

There is no need to immortalize failure by naming the court after Frank

Loyal Soldier? That implies that he stuck by Fordham. I think of it the other way around... Fordham stuck by Frank despite decades of losing.
Report Spam   Logged
RealDeal
Sophomore

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 12, 2017, 05:02:25 pm »

No.  He's an easy target because he was a spectacular failure in every facet of his job for a quarter century.   Even now refuses to go away gracefully.

Post hoc, ergo propter hoc
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: