fordhamfans.com
September 21, 2017, 10:41:03 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Gallery Login Register  

Why the RHG is to be Named for McGlaughlin

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Why the RHG is to be Named for McGlaughlin  (Read 5856 times)
RealDeal
Sophomore

View Profile
« Reply #150 on: August 18, 2017, 05:00:57 pm »

Youre probably 100 percent correct that he couldnt care less about how people feel about this "honor".   He hasnt cared for 35 years.  Why would he start to care now?

I will say this much, given (and will take you at your word) your experience in college athletics, you know that the miserable failure of Fordham Basketball is not Frank's fault - to the degree people here make it out to be.  He wasn't a decision maker. 

He has had pockets of success, including Football - the donor class's favorite sport.  You also know, as a coach, that keeping student athletes out  of trouble, and the papers, was part of his job.  And no major public issueshappened on his watch.

He is an honorable man, who could have been corrupted by the cesspool of college athletics.  You can debate the naming issue, but he doesn't deserve to be the target of all the frustrations basketball fans feel here.
Report Spam   Logged
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #151 on: August 18, 2017, 05:27:36 pm »

You don't have to retire his number; you give him a plaque and hang it on the gym wall.

But I think it's a moot point. They can't come back from the big announcement. It will happen. Sometime. But whether the money gets raised is another story. That was amateur hour.
Report Spam   Logged
An Old Coach
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #152 on: August 18, 2017, 05:38:26 pm »

I will say this much, given (and will take you at your word) your experience in college athletics, you know that the miserable failure of Fordham Basketball is not Frank's fault - to the degree people here make it out to be.  He wasn't a decision maker. 

He has had pockets of success, including Football - the donor class's favorite sport.  You also know, as a coach, that keeping student athletes out  of trouble, and the papers, was part of his job.  And no major public issueshappened on his watch.

He is an honorable man, who could have been corrupted by the cesspool of college athletics.  You can debate the naming issue, but he doesn't deserve to be the target of all the frustrations basketball fans feel here.

An honorable man would have walked away when it became so obvious the university was not behind the program. He stayed and became the mouthpiece and chief apologist. He made excuses and he misled whatever loyal alums there are. Thats honorable?
Report Spam   Logged
RealDeal
Sophomore

View Profile
« Reply #153 on: August 18, 2017, 05:43:21 pm »

An honorable man would have walked away when it became so obvious the university was not behind the program. He stayed and became the mouthpiece and chief apologist. He made excuses and he misled whatever loyal alums there are. Thats honorable?

An how many assistant coaches walk away from their jobs when they see the head coach running a questionable program.  Please get real.  It wasn't his role to be a martyr for Fordham.
Report Spam   Logged
Rich93
Class of 93
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #154 on: August 18, 2017, 05:48:56 pm »

Just saw the football coach say they raised only 20% of 2.5 million needed for the offices. Not exactly showing the big donors are behind this. 
Report Spam   Logged

WINNING MATTERS
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #155 on: August 18, 2017, 05:52:38 pm »

So none of the screw up hires or crazy moves like these were anything that Frank made the decision on ?

- Penders inexplicably being let to walk and go  to URI just a few days before practice started. Someone
         else made that call?
      - Hiring Andruzzi off the scrap heap , not his decision?  
      - Chasing "the bad coach" down after he rejected us and hiring him into a total fiasco.  Who made that decision?
      - Stating on WFUV that he was not even thinking about firing Andruzzi after she lost every single game in a
        season.  Someone told him to say that?
      - After purporting to conduct a national search, admitting that he only interviewed one guy (Pecora).
      - Extending a 20 loss coach. Who was deciding that one?
      - Refusing, with a statement on WFUV,  to fire DW..  only to eat crow 5 games into the next season.  
        Someone scripted his famous quote about saying nothing?
      - Stating that Grasso was a real candidate for the job, then admitting that he interviewed just one guy.
      - That little Patriot League move? He had no say or input in that?

So I guess Dave Roach must just be the luckiest guy in the world. He comes in and presto, we now win in every sport. We did a real national search and hired a real head coach. Its the same people running the school as when Frank had the job.

The family issue and vitriol is due to the manner in which the solicitation is presented. It makes no sense to honor 3 old guys from the 50's who played basketball at Fordham Prep and not Fordham University. It makes equally no sense to toss in 3 young ladies who appear to have had zero role or impact on Fordham athletics in any capacity whatsoever. 

You dont get a building named after you because your brother was the AD. You dont get a building named after you at a university because you played for the high school. You dont get a building named after you because your father was the AD. That's not how things work on this planet.

Report Spam   Logged
RealDeal
Sophomore

View Profile
« Reply #156 on: August 18, 2017, 05:55:26 pm »

Just saw the football coach say they raised only 20% of 2.5 million needed for the offices. Not exactly showing the big donors are behind this. 

Sure that will change.  Versus basketball, a better ROI for football donors. 
Report Spam   Logged
Bay Ridge
Freshman

View Profile
« Reply #157 on: August 18, 2017, 07:03:44 pm »

It could be worse , they could name it the Jeff Gray family court. Seriously, the real culprit here is the development office. They came up with this brain storm and the complaints / comments should go to Roger Milici for an explanation. Most schools would treat this "project" as an ordinary capex item and not make it a cause celebre which is what it has become. It's a reflection of the administration's and BOT's lack of commitment to athletics. Nothing more.
Report Spam   Logged
An Old Coach
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #158 on: August 18, 2017, 07:37:48 pm »

An how many assistant coaches walk away from their jobs when they see the head coach running a questionable program.  Please get real.  It wasn't his role to be a martyr for Fordham.

Assistant coaches walk away every year when the season is over. It happens constantly.  I did it myself once upon a time. 

I'm real...  You're the gold plated phoney shilling for Frank and his merry men.

"Honorable men" do not mislead fellow alumni about the intentions, direction or status of a program for a quarter of a century.  Honorable men don't mislead donors on the status of programs and honorable men make sure their staff is professionally supervised and don't embarass the University.  Honorable men don't mislead coaches and screw with their livelihoods.

So much for an "honorable man".
Report Spam   Logged
RealDeal
Sophomore

View Profile
« Reply #159 on: August 18, 2017, 09:08:50 pm »

Assistant coaches walk away every year when the season is over. It happens constantly.  I did it myself once upon a time. 

Walked away?  Sure you did.  Wink

P.S.  Please, gold plated?.  Never, only solid gold for me.
Report Spam   Logged
An Old Coach
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #160 on: August 18, 2017, 09:33:46 pm »

Walked away?  Sure you did.  Wink

P.S.  Please, gold plated?.  Never, only solid gold for me.

Na... Gold plated. Frank was never associated with anything genuine in his life.
Report Spam   Logged
Rich93
Class of 93
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #161 on: August 18, 2017, 09:48:32 pm »

Sure that will change.  Versus basketball, a better ROI for football donors. 

Maybe but I thought all the big donors love football?   As it stands now the head coach has to beg people at the jersey shore to help build offices. We are not talking major JCF renovations, it is offices and the well heeled football donors you brag about can't come up with 2.5 million?   They need a matching donation push to get there?   They need to pick the pockets of smaller donors for this project which in reality should be paid for by Fordham as maintenance?  Are these big donors and you that impotent that you can't get this done?   I thought the ROI is so good this would be a lay up?   

It could be worse , they could name it the Jeff Gray family court. Seriously, the real culprit here is the development office. They came up with this brain storm and the complaints / comments should go to Roger Milici for an explanation. Most schools would treat this "project" as an ordinary capex item and not make it a cause celebre which is what it has become. It's a reflection of the administration's and BOT's lack of commitment to athletics. Nothing more.

I agree the new floor is a maintenance project but naming the floor for Frank and his family is the brain child of the FOF listed on the website.  These guys are still mad Pecora and Frank were fired and this is their parting shot.  They are hurting the program. 
« Last Edit: August 18, 2017, 10:38:14 pm by Rich93 » Report Spam   Logged

WINNING MATTERS
RealDeal
Sophomore

View Profile
« Reply #162 on: August 19, 2017, 06:26:47 am »

Well, this has been a fun trip down memory lane.  Heading to the house in Europe for the Fall, will have to follow our beloved Football RAMS from there.  Won't post again for a half year or so.  Bye.
Report Spam   Logged
Rich93
Class of 93
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #163 on: August 19, 2017, 08:25:22 am »

Well, this has been a fun trip down memory lane.  Heading to the house in Europe for the Fall, will have to follow our beloved Football RAMS from there.  Won't post again for a half year or so.  Bye.

Don't forget to write a check to cover the rest of the football offices before you go. 
Report Spam   Logged

WINNING MATTERS
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #164 on: August 21, 2017, 04:21:44 pm »

Remember to save today's eclipse glasses. You will need them to view Frank's name on the basketball court......or risk going blind........
Report Spam   Logged
xtey92a
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #165 on: August 21, 2017, 10:29:44 pm »

If I happen to be at the first game at the new FM Family Court I am going to sit for the national anthem in protest.
just kidding Wink

You could stand up and turn your back on Frank when they dedicate the "Family Court" or walk out and return after the game starts/resumes.
Report Spam   Logged

#GoRamsGo!
JCMB
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #166 on: August 22, 2017, 08:34:59 am »

You could stand up and turn your back on Frank when they dedicate the "Family Court" or walk out and return after the game starts/resumes.

If I happen to be there for a game when the dedication takes place, I would just not attend the ceremony and go over to the bookstore (if they are opened) and maybe buy some stuff.
Report Spam   Logged
Rich93
Class of 93
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #167 on: August 22, 2017, 09:50:56 am »

If I happen to be there for a game when the dedication takes place, I would just not attend the ceremony and go over to the bookstore (if they are opened) and maybe buy some stuff.

Exactly.  Turning your back to the court is asinine, don't donate to the project let he office know why and don't attend the ceremony.  Anything beyond that is being an ass.
Report Spam   Logged

WINNING MATTERS
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #168 on: August 22, 2017, 09:59:57 am »

Hopefully this thing is modified or headed off at the pass ...... emblazoning our court with their family crest is wrong on so many levels it's got to be reconsidered......
Report Spam   Logged
Battering Ram
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #169 on: August 22, 2017, 10:22:53 am »

Exactly.  Turning your back to the court is asinine, don't donate to the project let he office know why and don't attend the ceremony.  Anything beyond that is being an ass.
consider the source of that comment
Report Spam   Logged
Bay Ridge
Freshman

View Profile
« Reply #170 on: August 22, 2017, 11:30:13 am »

I agree with Rich. Voicing your displeasure to the development office is the way to go. Boorish behavior gains nothing.
Report Spam   Logged
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #171 on: August 22, 2017, 11:35:39 am »

A petition that points out the inherent flaws of this proposal might work.....although it probably wont stop an honor in some form, it could hopefully prevent this very non-deserving and disjointed naming that will last for generations..... Standing and booing or back turning wouldnt help, it would make things worse........try and head it off at the pass with a compromise.
Report Spam   Logged
Scott W 86
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #172 on: August 22, 2017, 11:46:07 am »

I had a nightmare last night.

It's almost 200 years in the future and there is nothing left of New York. A cycle of natural climate change has brought bitterly cold temperatures to the northern US.  NYC was burnt to the ground.  Desperate hoards ransacked places like FU for books to use for fuel. Trees in the Botanical Gardens were cut for firewood. A massive fire has brought street level to a primordial state.

Scientists are digging through ruble below the green shoots and brush.

In the area that was The Bronx archeologists see a blinking light in a cavern near the surface. It's a remarkably preserved library carrel.  It has hieroglyphics in English carved into the wooded desk saying "Joe Sunfish wuz here, good party", "Rich and 85 say Fire Frank!" ... and many people carved "the food at Fordham suc..(scientist note: unintelligible two letters)".

The blinking light is on an original Apple iMac.  Remarkably, through reasons that can't be explained in a dream, the iMac is still running, still powered ... and still has a 200 hundred year old internet connection to a single discussion topic.  Nothing else, just one topic. The scientists are very excited because they have not seen any other form of history, documentation, books or records of the period in the early 21st Century. It's a breakthrough.  The only recorded proof that Fordham University existed was a years long discussion about someone named McLaughlin.  His name was painted on some wood.

That wood was burned for heat like almost every other pieces the poor frozen wretches could find.

The scientists studied for years to learn more about the place.  Finally they decided that it most not have been a very important place. God love them, the people seemed to spend weeks repeating the same points, with little opposition to the main arguments.     

Wink
Peace
Report Spam   Logged
Rich93
Class of 93
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #173 on: August 22, 2017, 12:18:31 pm »

A lot of time for no pay off from that post.  Do better if you are going to spend that much time so it is not wasted.  Afro

Report Spam   Logged

WINNING MATTERS
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #174 on: August 22, 2017, 12:23:57 pm »

I had a nightmare last night.

It's almost 200 years in the future and there is nothing left of New York. A cycle of natural climate change has brought bitterly cold temperatures to the northern US.  NYC was burnt to the ground.  Desperate hoards ransacked places like FU for books to use for fuel. Trees in the Botanical Gardens were cut for firewood. A massive fire has brought street level to a primordial state.

Scientists are digging through ruble below the green shoots and brush.

In the area that was The Bronx archeologists see a blinking light in a cavern near the surface. It's a remarkably preserved library carrel.  It has hieroglyphics in English carved into the wooded desk saying "Joe Sunfish wuz here, good party", "Rich and 85 say Fire Frank!" ... and many people carved "the food at Fordham suc..(scientist note: unintelligible two letters)".

The blinking light is on an original Apple iMac.  Remarkably, through reasons that can't be explained in a dream, the iMac is still running, still powered ... and still has a 200 hundred year old internet connection to a single discussion topic.  Nothing else, just one topic. The scientists are very excited because they have not seen any other form of history, documentation, books or records of the period in the early 21st Century. It's a breakthrough.  The only recorded proof that Fordham University existed was a years long discussion about someone named McLaughlin.  His name was painted on some wood.

That wood was burned for heat like almost every other pieces the poor frozen wretches could find.

The scientists studied for years to learn more about the place.  Finally they decided that it most not have been a very important place. God love them, the people seemed to spend weeks repeating the same points, with little opposition to the main arguments.     

Wink
Peace

Don't give up your Uber job.    Roll Eyes

Report Spam   Logged
Ram I Am
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #175 on: August 22, 2017, 01:47:20 pm »

A petition that points out the inherent flaws of this proposal might work.....although it probably wont stop an honor in some form, it could hopefully prevent this very non-deserving and disjointed naming that will last for generations..... Standing and booing or back turning wouldnt help, it would make things worse........try and head it off at the pass with a compromise.

I like that idea 85.  On strictly basketball merits, Frank's jersey does not warrant being raised to the rafters.  However, he did devote most of his professional life to Fordham athletics and his decades of service to Fordham can be recognized without being an embarrassment to the program and the university.  It would give his family and supporters the chance to acknowledge his years of service and it wouldn't alienate large swaths of alumni who view his tenure as AD as a failure.  I'm just surprised that the family wouldn't pull out of this thing given the backlash it has created. 
Report Spam   Logged
Rich93
Class of 93
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #176 on: August 22, 2017, 02:05:51 pm »

Frank is in the Hall of Fame so whatever his contributions were have been honored.   There was a ceremony he was honored in front of his family and friends.   The floor naming has nothing to do with Frank and everything to do with the FOF still being pissed off their guys were fired. Up next The Pecora Hospitality Suite where you can get a New York priced steak that is Golden Coral quality. 
Report Spam   Logged

WINNING MATTERS
fordham77
Sophomore

View Profile
« Reply #177 on: August 22, 2017, 02:10:34 pm »

Just go the pledge link and "donate" $0.01....and in the comments section tell them what an asinine idea this is.
Report Spam   Logged
Ram I Am
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #178 on: August 22, 2017, 02:24:02 pm »

Frank is in the Hall of Fame so whatever his contributions were have been honored.   There was a ceremony he was honored in front of his family and friends.   The floor naming has nothing to do with Frank and everything to do with the FOF still being pissed off their guys were fired. Up next The Pecora Hospitality Suite where you can get a New York priced steak that is Golden Coral quality. 

I hear you Rich, but retiring his jersey would provide a quasi-graceful exit from this flawed project.  The jersey retirement would be in perpetuity whereas the floor naming commemoration would meet its demise when the venerable RHG meets its demise (hey its got to happen at some point in the future, right?).  Maybe that is an angle to pivot off the floor naming debacle.  Just a thought.
Report Spam   Logged
Rich93
Class of 93
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #179 on: August 22, 2017, 02:32:59 pm »

My point is that the people behind this are not looking to get out of it. They know most fans don't want this and are doing it for their own reason: it is an FU to FU for ignoring their opinions and making the personel changes that happened over the last few years. 
Report Spam   Logged

WINNING MATTERS

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: