fordhamfans.com
December 17, 2017, 10:54:27 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Gallery Login Register  

Why the RHG is to be Named for McGlaughlin

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Why the RHG is to be Named for McGlaughlin  (Read 5906 times)
DamnRam
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: May 16, 2017, 01:59:55 pm »

I know....my point is more that this is NOT a naming rights issue.

It is a proposal to name the floor after Frank's family.....set forth by a group of current and former BOT members.......its a campaign....not a naming rights solicitation.....its not some company plunking down  money to get the name Citi Field or the like, that is a mischaracterization...

It seems like both to me.  I think the best way to describe this is a very narrowly focused naming rights campaign, created by a core group and with a very specific outcome in mind.  A bunch of Frank's friends are engaging in a campaign to name the floor after Frank (irony aside).  Now, if Citibank wanted to come along and offer that amount cash-in-hand (or even offer more than the 2.5 million), it would strain credibility to think Fordham would turn that offer down.  I'm sure Fordham is far more interested in getting the improvements made rather than using them exclusively as an excuse to memorialize Frank.

Report Spam   Logged
An Old Coach
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 16, 2017, 03:43:28 pm »

It seems like both to me.  I think the best way to describe this is a very narrowly focused naming rights campaign, created by a core group and with a very specific outcome in mind.  A bunch of Frank's friends are engaging in a campaign to name the floor after Frank (irony aside).  Now, if Citibank wanted to come along and offer that amount cash-in-hand (or even offer more than the 2.5 million), it would strain credibility to think Fordham would turn that offer down.  I'm sure Fordham is far more interested in getting the improvements made rather than using them exclusively as an excuse to memorialize Frank.

The "improvements" are basic housekeeping on an athletic facility and a make believe suite.  This is a scam, pure and simple.
Report Spam   Logged
shortshot
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 16, 2017, 03:46:01 pm »

I'm also sure they could have raised upwards of $10 myl if the just held a campaign to upgrade the gym.
Report Spam   Logged
Vooter
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 16, 2017, 10:51:02 pm »

I'm also sure they could have raised upwards of $10 myl if the just held a campaign to upgrade the gym.

I agree...
Report Spam   Logged
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 17, 2017, 08:58:21 am »

Daryl Brown is one of the signatories to the Friends of Frank Campaign.
Report Spam   Logged
An Old Coach
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 17, 2017, 09:15:50 am »

They are struggling to raise $2.5 mil.  $10 mil...?
Report Spam   Logged
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 17, 2017, 09:46:17 am »

I tend to agree with SS. If this were a real campaign, either seeking real naming rights or seeking real fans and alums to donate to a worthy project, it could very well happen., They cant raise this money due to the premise.  The Frank Mclaughlin Family...that doesnt even make grammatical sense. They want to honor Frank's brothers so in essence it would be Frank's fathers family court.........its a sham and people arent dumb enough to donate to it......naming the University Court after a bunch of forgotten Fordham Prep players from more than 50 years ago is beyond moronic, luckily nobody seems to have taken the bait..
Report Spam   Logged
An Old Coach
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 17, 2017, 09:56:02 am »

I don't believe so.  "Fordham alums would give to athletics if..."  Another Fordham urban myth IMO. 

$10 mil for the RHG would be putting expensive lipstick on the pig but it's still lip stick on the pig.  The only campaign that makes sense would be for an arena/athletic center.  Big, big bucks.  I don't see where it would come from at a school that is only marginally successful at fundraising.  The biggest onetime gift to the University is $25mil.  Not to denigrate that but you don't pay for building without a couple of gifts that large.
Report Spam   Logged
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 17, 2017, 09:58:01 am »

I said it in the context of selling naming rights. Which this is not. Some are trying characterize it is naming rights, but it is not that at all. its a campaign to raise funds to do maintenance and also name the floor after the "Frank McLaughlin Family" which again is idiotic. Perhaps a combo of naming rights and a real campaign, run by a real fundraiser could generate significant funds. Its a chicken and the gg scenario because in my 35 years of association, I dont believe I have ever seen any such a campaign for athletics  having been undertaken.

It would be interesting to see if any other D1 school has never actually had a major facilities improvement donations  campaign....Im beginning to believe that we may be the only one.

Chaminade HS raised over $30M for their upgrades to athletics. that didnt happen by accident. They put in the work! They had dozens of solicitations, dozens of fund raising events, golf outings corporate solicitations and meaningful updates. The kick in the teeth is that this motley crew wants to name the court for the one guy who didnt put in the work for 25 years!
Report Spam   Logged
Maroon BleeDerr
Freshman

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 17, 2017, 10:17:08 am »

I said it in the context of selling naming rights. Which this is not. Some are trying characterize it is naming rights, but it is not that at all. its a campaign to raise funds to do maintenance and also name the floor after the "Frank McLaughlin Family" which again is idiotic. Perhaps a combo of naming rights and a real campaign, run by a real fundraiser could generate significant funds. Its a chicken and the gg scenario because in my 35 years of association, I dont believe I have ever seen any such a campaign for athletics  having been undertaken.

It would be interesting to see if any other D1 school has never actually had a major facilities improvement donations  campaign....Im beginning to believe that we may be the only one.

Chaminade HS raised over $30M for their upgrades to athletics. that didnt happen by accident. They put in the work! They had dozens of solicitations, dozens of fund raising events, golf outings corporate solicitations and meaningful updates. The kick in the teeth is that this motley crew wants to name the court for the one guy who didnt put in the work for 25 years!

If they dropped the Frank part, I would definitely be inclined to donate towards the marginal upgrades they are proposing.  But my checkbook is staying closed otherwise.  If they really feel the need, let them name one of the hospitality suites after him. 
Report Spam   Logged
RealDeal
Sophomore

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 17, 2017, 10:17:41 am »

Playing FCS Football, and Basketball playing at a dismal level for a quarter century, makes raising athletic dollars from alumni a daunting challenge.  It will all be up to the next POTU; calls into question whether he/she would have us go the NYU/University of Chicago model.  I think that scenario is more likely than us investing in athletics, versus other priorities.  Trying to raise only a few million for the RHG tells you more about the future than you nay think.
Report Spam   Logged
charlietags
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 17, 2017, 10:22:52 am »

One of our 2 year students now sits in the oval office. How about getting some of his money to pay for a new arena? Or are we too politically correct to do that?
Report Spam   Logged
An Old Coach
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 17, 2017, 10:24:21 am »

I get what has to be done. A heavy lift but plenty of schools do it.  I just can't see a scenario where Fordham could raise $50mil for an athletics campaign.  We've been without a plan for so long I don't think we could flip the switch and do it.
Report Spam   Logged
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 17, 2017, 10:25:31 am »

And who now might be in charge of a heavy lift?
Report Spam   Logged
An Old Coach
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: May 17, 2017, 10:29:07 am »

No one presently on the radar, that's for sure...
Report Spam   Logged
DamnRam
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: May 17, 2017, 10:37:27 am »

One of our 2 year students now sits in the oval office. How about getting some of his money to pay for a new arena? Or are we too politically correct to do that?

More like too politically astute to do that.  I'm guessing you didn't read the news this morning?

Besides, he's not one our two year students.  He doesn't regard himself as such, never really has, thinks of himself as a UPenn guy through and through.
Report Spam   Logged
Vooter
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: May 17, 2017, 11:11:19 am »

Trying to raise only a few million for the RHG tells you more about the future than you nay think.

I know what it tells me: The current administration and BOT need to go.
Report Spam   Logged
Rich93
Class of 93
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: May 17, 2017, 11:41:12 am »

If they dropped the Frank part, I would definitely be inclined to donate towards the marginal upgrades they are proposing.  But my checkbook is staying closed otherwise.  If they really feel the need, let them name one of the hospitality suites after him. 

I know at least a dozen people who feel the exact same way.  It is the same statement every time: if Frank and his friends want this to happen they should pay for it.  why am I going to donate to a project that will result in the naming of the court after an AD who struggled in his job duties (cleaning it up the last part for the board a little)? 
Report Spam   Logged

WINNING MATTERS
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: May 17, 2017, 01:00:10 pm »

take a deeper look. Many people bought into Frank and his tired old excuses about the admin and lack of success. We hired a guy from the scrap heap, Dave Roach, who had experience and was a yawner of a hire. All of a sudden we are now winning in virtually every sport. We got an AD who fixed Franks screw up with Pecora and did it the right way and hired a real coach. ANd won 17 games and played in a post season. Essentially he eviscerated all of the old lame ass excuses for not winning across the board.

I think if you brought in a real , qualified fund raising VP for athletics, we would see a monumental turnaround, very quickly. Similar to the success under Dave Roach after Frank was removed as the AD.

We are in an era of consistent success in Forhdam athletics across the board. Most since Dave Roach was hired. Instead of building upon it and taking the next step, the BOT and FOF want us to take 100 steps back and forever honor the prior AD who was famous for unprecedented failure for 25 years.
Report Spam   Logged
LXRF
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: May 17, 2017, 03:34:49 pm »

take a deeper look. Many people bought into Frank and his tired old excuses about the admin and lack of success. We hired a guy from the scrap heap, Dave Roach, who had experience and was a yawner of a hire. All of a sudden we are now winning in virtually every sport. We got an AD who fixed Franks screw up with Pecora and did it the right way and hired a real coach. ANd won 17 games and played in a post season. Essentially he eviscerated all of the old lame ass excuses for not winning across the board.

I think if you brought in a real , qualified fund raising VP for athletics, we would see a monumental turnaround, very quickly. Similar to the success under Dave Roach after Frank was removed as the AD.

We are in an era of consistent success in Forhdam athletics across the board. Most since Dave Roach was hired. Instead of building upon it and taking the next step, the BOT and FOF want us to take 100 steps back and forever honor the prior AD who was famous for unprecedented failure for 25 years.

That's exactly the way I see it. It's like trying to lift the Titanic from the bottom of the ocean. Eventually, a new cast will replace the present one and with any luck things will turn around.
Report Spam   Logged
txram
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: August 02, 2017, 03:31:28 pm »

They have completed the seat backs but won't build the suite and replace the floor and rename it until next summer.  One year left to enjoy it as it is.
http://fordhamsports.com/news/2017/8/2/mens-basketball-rose-hill-gym-ready-for-action.aspx
Report Spam   Logged
RoRam
Sophomore

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: August 02, 2017, 03:55:58 pm »

They have completed the seat backs but won't build the suite and replace the floor and rename it until next summer.  One year left to enjoy it as it is.
http://fordhamsports.com/news/2017/8/2/mens-basketball-rose-hill-gym-ready-for-action.aspx
Embarrasing they couldn't finish it in a year. Also, I thought the whole gym would be have chair back seating.
Report Spam   Logged

“We didn’t get blown out of many games in the Atlantic 10. … I can see it coming.”

-Tom Pecora
shortshot
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: August 02, 2017, 04:36:08 pm »

Probably need another year to raise the rest of the money🙂
Report Spam   Logged
97Ram
Sophomore

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: August 02, 2017, 04:40:47 pm »

I also hope they plan on replacing the chair backs in the upper level.  The color of the old seats doesn't match the color of the new ones on the lower level.  If you're going to put lipstick on a pig, you need to at least get the lipstick on both of the pig's lips.
Report Spam   Logged
An Old Coach
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: August 02, 2017, 05:57:53 pm »

Does anyone know the progress for the fundraising for the project?

What about fundraising fore the football offices?
Report Spam   Logged
rambacker
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: August 02, 2017, 06:26:39 pm »

They have completed the seat backs but won't build the suite and replace the floor and rename it until next summer. 

The hospitality suite will be built on the side behind the team benches. The original design illustrations showed it on the McGinley Center side of the RHG.

Report Spam   Logged
John
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: August 02, 2017, 09:51:04 pm »

The hospitality suite will be built on the side behind the team benches. The original design illustrations showed it on the McGinley Center side of the RHG.

I thought the original design illustrations went missing in Paris. Oh, wait, that was for an actual new gym . . .
Report Spam   Logged
xtey92a
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: August 06, 2017, 12:10:50 am »

I know what it tells me: The current administration and BOT need to go.

Sadly Agree. Fordham is floundering and it is time for new blood in Cuniffe house.
Report Spam   Logged

#GoRamsGo!
RealDeal
Sophomore

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: August 06, 2017, 03:07:00 pm »

Sadly Agree. Fordham is floundering and it is time for new blood in Cuniffe house.r

Floundering, by what metrics?  Facts do matter, please elaborate ...
Report Spam   Logged
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: August 07, 2017, 09:17:08 am »

Cool
Not me.  Frank is a honorable man who was executing policy, not making it.

Mr. metrics matter man. Define how your metrics say Frank is an "honorable man? "  And tell me how his  3 brothers who didnt play for Fordham and 3 daughters who did nothing more for Fordhan than accept a free ride because Frank worked at the school, have any "metrics" that make them worthy of this honor? 

A2 + B2 +/- (E= MC 2)/Pi(R2)   =  The McLaughlins are not worthy of a damn thing. 
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: