fordhamfans.com
October 23, 2017, 07:36:06 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Gallery Login Register  

Why the RHG is to be Named for McGlaughlin

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Why the RHG is to be Named for McGlaughlin  (Read 5897 times)
xtey92a
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: August 07, 2017, 04:08:53 pm »

One of our 2 year students now sits in the oval office. How about getting some of his money to pay for a new arena? Or are we too politically correct to do that?

A: Yes

Report Spam   Logged

#GoRamsGo!
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: August 08, 2017, 08:02:37 am »

He's a little busy right now with that Yoda looking guy in North Korea.
Report Spam   Logged
DamnRam
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: August 15, 2017, 04:25:16 pm »

One of our 2 year students now sits in the oval office. How about getting some of his money to pay for a new arena? Or are we too politically correct to do that?

A: Yes

It's bad enough we will soon have a floor named after an incompetent executive; having an entire building named after another one would just be repeating the mistake writ large.  Even if you like the guy, I think the only prudent thing to do in this situation would be to at least wait for things to stabilize and hopefully get turned around.  Accepting a named gift from Trump right now would be like chaining the school's reputation to a rapidly sinking ship. 

Besides, why do you think Trump would even want to give to Fordham?  In his book he made it clear he regarded Fordham as a mere stepping stone and he has never shown any interest in Fordham that I'm aware of.  He is most definitely not one of "our" students.  He thinks of himself as a UPenn guy through and through, as are his kids.  Even if he weren't completely indifferent, I can't think of a single reason why he would want to associate himself with the Fordham basketball program any time in the near future.
Report Spam   Logged
ace93
Arbitrary and Capricious Administrator
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: August 15, 2017, 04:45:29 pm »

It's bad enough we will soon have a floor named after an incompetent executive; having an entire building named after another one would just be repeating the mistake writ large.  Even if you like the guy, I think the only prudent thing to do in this situation would be to at least wait for things to stabilize and hopefully get turned around.  Accepting a named gift from Trump right now would be like chaining the school's reputation to a rapidly sinking ship. 

Besides, why do you think Trump would even want to give to Fordham?  In his book he made it clear he regarded Fordham as a mere stepping stone and he has never shown any interest in Fordham that I'm aware of.  He is most definitely not one of "our" students.  He thinks of himself as a UPenn guy through and through, as are his kids.  Even if he weren't completely indifferent, I can't think of a single reason why he would want to associate himself with the Fordham basketball program any time in the near future.

I think your second paragraph would have sufficed. No need to possibly open up things to political commentary.
Report Spam   Logged

Nothing replaces success in the revenue sports.  Nothing.  That's not to take away from the success in the Olympic sports - they do matter.  It isn't a replacement for success in the flagship sports. - Debbie Yow, AD - NC State
FU85
Sophomore

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: August 15, 2017, 09:06:45 pm »

I think your second paragraph would have sufficed. No need to possibly open up things to political commentary.

Thanks ace
Report Spam   Logged
DamnRam
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: August 16, 2017, 12:42:10 am »

I was directly responding to Charlietag's and Xtey's political commentary that the reason Fordham might reject a gift from Trump is out of "political correctness" (as if that were the only reason a school might reject a gift).  There are a lot of practical and serious questions that any school's administration is going to ask in regards to accepting a gift from any major donor, especially one who is so incredibly "controversial" (to put it mildly).  For example:
  • What is the donor's "brand"?  Would putting the donor's name on one of our buildings constitute an endorsement of any positions which run contrary to what we stand for?
  • What is the risk the donor has said or done, or will say or do, something unacceptably stupid or perhaps even criminal?
  • Would the new arena bearing the name be a perpetual focal point for protests, activists from off-campus, etc. such that we are taking on extra security and publicity risks and costs far into the future?
  • Would there be any strings attached?  What expectations will be created about what we will have to do for the donor?
  • Would the donor actually honor his pledge and in accordance with whatever agreement is struck? Does this donor have a known problem with keeping his promises or attempting to renegotiate deals?
  • Do we even want to accept a gift which forces us to do something which is not on our top priority list (especially if it means we have to put up the rest, and we're really stretched) and which brings with it so much "risk" of the above?

Just to state the obvious:  Trump IS the POTUS, and he generates an astonishing amount of unforced controversy (both deliberately and unintentionally) practically every day.  It's simply not possible or reasonable to think you can discuss a university possible accepting a major gift from such a person in a totally apolitical way.  Trust me when I say I was actually being quite restrained on this matter given all that could be said.  I was actually holding back out of respect for the board.
Report Spam   Logged
RealDeal
Sophomore

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: August 16, 2017, 05:29:51 am »

Thanks ace

+1
Report Spam   Logged
ace93
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: August 16, 2017, 05:59:24 am »

I was directly responding to Charlietag's and Xtey's political commentary that the reason Fordham might reject a gift from Trump is out of "political correctness" (as if that were the only reason a school might reject a gift).  There are a lot of practical and serious questions that any school's administration is going to ask in regards to accepting a gift from any major donor, especially one who is so incredibly "controversial" (to put it mildly).  For example:
  • What is the donor's "brand"?  Would putting the donor's name on one of our buildings constitute an endorsement of any positions which run contrary to what we stand for?
  • What is the risk the donor has said or done, or will say or do, something unacceptably stupid or perhaps even criminal?
  • Would the new arena bearing the name be a perpetual focal point for protests, activists from off-campus, etc. such that we are taking on extra security and publicity risks and costs far into the future?
  • Would there be any strings attached?  What expectations will be created about what we will have to do for the donor?
  • Would the donor actually honor his pledge and in accordance with whatever agreement is struck? Does this donor have a known problem with keeping his promises or attempting to renegotiate deals?
  • Do we even want to accept a gift which forces us to do something which is not on our top priority list (especially if it means we have to put up the rest, and we're really stretched) and which brings with it so much "risk" of the above?

Just to state the obvious:  Trump IS the POTUS, and he generates an astonishing amount of unforced controversy (both deliberately and unintentionally) practically every day.  It's simply not possible or reasonable to think you can discuss a university possible accepting a major gift from such a person in a totally apolitical way.  Trust me when I say I was actually being quite restrained on this matter given all that could be said.  I was actually holding back out of respect for the board.

To borrow from someone else.

Firstly, some brevity would be appreciated.

Secondly, come on!
Report Spam   Logged

Nothing replaces success in the revenue sports.  Nothing.  That's not to take away from the success in the Olympic sports - they do matter.  It isn't a replacement for success in the flagship sports. - Debbie Yow, AD - NC State
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: August 16, 2017, 06:25:32 am »

« Last Edit: August 16, 2017, 06:53:18 am by 85 » Report Spam   Logged
DamnRam
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: August 16, 2017, 07:20:37 am »

Secondly, come on!

Fine.  I probably could have left out the specific questions in the name of "brevity" and then followed up with those if needed.  I included them only to show there was substance behind my point about there being legitimate concerns that have nothing to do with "political correctness".
Report Spam   Logged
shortshot
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: August 16, 2017, 08:27:07 am »

Secondly, come on!
+100
Report Spam   Logged
An Old Coach
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: August 16, 2017, 09:56:22 am »

You do understand that 99.9 percent of multimillion dollar gifts come at the end of a fairly lengthy cultivation and negotiation.  The scenerio where a wealthy donor calls any school and says, "i'm coming over with a bag of money that i want you to accept", virtually never happens.  The "issue" of accepting a gift from a controversial donor would never play out that way.
Report Spam   Logged
DamnRam
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: August 16, 2017, 10:51:51 am »

You do understand that 99.9 percent of multimillion dollar gifts come at the end of a fairly lengthy cultivation and negotiation.  The scenerio where a wealthy donor calls any school and says, "i'm coming over with a bag of money that i want you to accept", virtually never happens.  The "issue" of accepting a gift from a controversial donor would never play out that way.

Yes, of course I do understood and have always understood that.  As I'm sure you know those questions are relevant whether it's Fordham considering Trump as part of a target list of potential donors, or vice versa.

FWIW, as to something like this virtually never happening, Trump is so impulsive I do think he's the kind of guy who would do such a thing.  The guy delights in being different, breaking norms, and being so "unprecedented".  Why would he consider making a sudden announcement of a donation?  He might suddenly feel the need to buy his way to a good reputation, to create yet another distraction, or to compromise a critic.  He would understand that going public first with a potential donation would put a lot of pressure on the administration which would work to his advantage in the negotiations which follow, and he could always just say if rejected that he actually withdrew the offer first and blame the administration.  It would actually be perfectly in character for him.
Report Spam   Logged
ace93
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: August 16, 2017, 11:21:47 am »

Yes, of course I do understood and have always understood that.  As I'm sure you know those questions are relevant whether it's Fordham considering Trump as part of a target list of potential donors, or vice versa.

FWIW, as to something like this virtually never happening, Trump is so impulsive I do think he's the kind of guy who would do such a thing.  The guy delights in being different, breaking norms, and being so "unprecedented".  Why would he consider making a sudden announcement of a donation?  He might suddenly feel the need to buy his way to a good reputation, to create yet another distraction, or to compromise a critic.  He would understand that going public first with a potential donation would put a lot of pressure on the administration which would work to his advantage in the negotiations which follow, and he could always just say if rejected that he actually withdrew the offer first and blame the administration.  It would actually be perfectly in character for him.

Stop! Just stop talking about him here. Thanks.
Report Spam   Logged

J-Sal
Freshman

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: August 16, 2017, 11:40:18 am »

Forget brevity (which you usually do anyways  Grin ) this is a plus one.  Minus one to the dude who seems to be unaware that there’s no “G” in McLaughlin, that Chic was never at Fordham, that Trump doesn’t like admitting he was ever at Fordham and that Trump has never even been a significant donor to UPenn (although he did send his kids there), let alone to the school he rarely mentions.     

(Plus one also for finally having chairbacks on both sidelines, the logo on the student section bleachers and for darkening the shade of maroon.  I know it's all lipstick on a pig but they picked a nice shade: http://fordhamsports.com/news/2017/8/2/mens-basketball-rose-hill-gym-ready-for-action.aspx
Report Spam   Logged
LXRF
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: August 16, 2017, 12:57:15 pm »

Agreed J-Sal, the renovation shows a better staged place than the look of the prior RHG.  That could be caused by the overall level of design today is so much better than it was in the past. It also shows the potential for good design possible in a New Arena/Multi-Purpose facility on Parking Lot A if there exists the collective will to achive it.
THIS POST HAS AN IMMEDIATE EXPIRATION DATE OF RIGHT AFTER IT'S READ AND DOES NOT EXPECT OR INVITE ANY RESPONSES ON A NEW ARENA, A SUBJECT HAS ALREADT BEEN SUFFICIENTLY AIRED HERE.   
Report Spam   Logged
RealDeal
Sophomore

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: August 16, 2017, 04:35:48 pm »

Very happy that it is being named for an alumnus who actually graduated Fordham, unlike the "stepping stone loser" variety.
Report Spam   Logged
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: August 16, 2017, 04:37:46 pm »

Very happy that it is being named for an alumnus who actually graduated Fordham, unlike the "stepping stone loser" variety.

Frank's 2 brothers didn't go to Fordham...it's being named after his family ...pay attention read the solicitation...stop posting like an ignoramus
Report Spam   Logged
SIram
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: August 16, 2017, 05:04:07 pm »

Besides the McLaughlin and his family you might be the only person happy to see this

True fans of Fordham are not happy
Report Spam   Logged
shortshot
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: August 16, 2017, 07:27:26 pm »

Besides the McLaughlin and his family you might be the only person happy to see this

+1
Report Spam   Logged
xtey92a
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: August 16, 2017, 07:35:35 pm »

I will refuse to call it after HIM/them. It is Thee Historic Rose Hill Gym. I might go to the first home game just to boo him when they dedicate it. Anyone care to join me?
Report Spam   Logged

#GoRamsGo!
An Old Coach
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: August 16, 2017, 07:49:36 pm »

After almost 50 years, it's highly unlikely that any alum who has never made a significant gift to Fordham is on anyone's prospect list.
Report Spam   Logged
DamnRam
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: August 16, 2017, 08:49:45 pm »

After almost 50 years, it's highly unlikely that any alum who has never made a significant gift to Fordham is on anyone's prospect list.

I agree completely, and just to be clear I'm not the one thinking Fordham should or would even consider it.
Report Spam   Logged
DamnRam
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: August 16, 2017, 08:51:16 pm »

I will refuse to call it after HIM/them. It is Thee Historic Rose Hill Gym. I might go to the first home game just to boo him when they dedicate it. Anyone care to join me?

Though I am not in favor of this whole naming thing, I would definitely not boo.  I could understand not going, but I think booing would just be really uncalled for.
Report Spam   Logged
Richie68
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: August 17, 2017, 12:02:35 am »

One question:  Doesn't putting chair back seats on both sides reduce the "seating capacity" of the gym?  If so, is the trade off for better accommodations and look vs seating capacity good or bad?
Report Spam   Logged
ace93
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: August 17, 2017, 12:51:59 am »

One question:  Doesn't putting chair back seats on both sides reduce the "seating capacity" of the gym?  If so, is the trade off for better accommodations and look vs seating capacity good or bad?

Let's assume it lowers attendance, now answer your own question.
Report Spam   Logged

RealDeal
Sophomore

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: August 17, 2017, 03:55:59 am »

Fortunately you don't get to determine the qualifications of a true fan.  How many endorsements has your family established for Fordham?  Want to compare?  I back my fan status with multiple checks. 
Report Spam   Logged
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: August 17, 2017, 06:39:58 am »

Get your facts straight and try to make some semblance of sense. Tell me exactly what Frank's three (3) brothers did for Fordham University? Here is a hint. Nothing.  Tell me what his three (3) daughters did sans accept free rides?  Hint #2....nothing. What possible reason could these six (6) non-entities have to be naming the floor after them in our gym? Nothing.

This is a totally disjointed load of nonsense. The proposal and solicitation is an embarrassment and irrefutable facts have been posted here and elsewhere to completely and very easily destroy its credibility. It is not getting any money tossed at it because everyone who has a functioning brain stem can understand how absurd of a proposal that it is.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2017, 07:03:26 am by 85 » Report Spam   Logged
SIram
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: August 17, 2017, 10:08:30 am »

Fortunately you don't get to determine the qualifications of a true fan.  How many endorsements has your family established for Fordham?  Want to compare?  I back my fan status with multiple checks. 

Fortunately you don't get to determine the qualifications of a true fan either, especially since you don't even understand the difference between a fan and a donor

Maybe you give a lot of money, maybe you give more than me, if you do bravo

Don't expect me to be impressed or to take direction from someone bragging on an anonymous internet board

You might think your money is well spent on honoring Frank's family, I don't share your opinion
Report Spam   Logged
Rich93
Class of 93
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: August 17, 2017, 10:36:57 am »

Interesting that despite the list of people on the website and realdeal who are apparently finincially well off Fordham still has not raised the money to redo the floor and name it for Frank and his family.  I've said it before if the people listed on the website and now realdeal want this done they can easily pay for it themselves. It is not that much money if you are truly wealthy and care about this project. 
Report Spam   Logged

WINNING MATTERS

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: