fordhamfans.com
November 24, 2017, 03:30:14 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Gallery Login Register  

Softball in the NCAA's

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Softball in the NCAA's  (Read 2198 times)
friarsbob1
Freshman

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: May 29, 2017, 11:46:48 am »

Go Baylor! Great win last night
Report Spam   Logged
RickFC77
Junior

Where was Lembo when I needed him?

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 29, 2017, 12:04:30 pm »

Saw Galati pitch in HS and she was dominant. For years Hofstra, through HC Bill Edwards had a pipeline to top LI talent through his connections with the top travel programs.
Report Spam   Logged

“Hail men of Fordham hail."
txram
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 01, 2017, 02:49:54 pm »

#1 Florida run ruled #9 Texas A&M 8-0 in 5 innings.  They have the best pitching (Kelly Barnhill was POY) and defense in the country and finally got some offense to go with it.

#13 LSU beat #5 UCLA 2-1 But they had a runner out at home who was safe.  A LSU runner, out at home, was called safe due to catcher obstruction.  The catcher had the ball before runner got there.  Two bad calls by ump cost UCLA.  They need replay at this tournament.

#6 Washington beat #3 Oregon 3-1.

#10 Oklahoma beat #15 Baylor 6-3 despite poor defense by both teams.  Oklahoma had 4 errors; Baylor had 5 mental errors.  Pretty unusual at this level.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2017, 11:45:48 pm by txram » Report Spam   Logged
txram
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 02, 2017, 09:30:11 pm »

In the winners' bracket, #1 Florida beat #13 LSU 7-0.  Another bad call by an ump that replay showed was wrong.  This time it didn't mean the game though.  Florida's pitcher, Barnhill, who was national POY, has 2 shutouts in the world series.

#10 Oklahoma beat #6 Washington 3-1.  Another ump error gave OK a run.  A player ran 4 feet out of the baseline to avoid a tag at home. 

In the losers' bracket, #5 UCLA beat #9 Texas A&M 8-2, eliminating the latter.  Hall of Famer and UCLA pitching coach Lisa Fernandez got ejected and was given a 2-game suspension for bumping an ump in an argument over a questionable catcher obstruction non-call.  One doesn't see that ever in softball.  UCLA then lost 1-0 vs #6 Washington and were held to 2 hits.  A HR by Ali Aguilar, an All-American and Team USA member, won it.  UCLA is eliminated.

#3 Oregon beat #15 Baylor 7-4 and will face #13 LSU.  Baylor had the bases loaded in the 7th with no outs and couldn't score.

Oregon beat LSU by 4-1 and play Oklahoma in the semi finals.  No umpiring controversies in this one that I recall.

Washington plays Florida in the other semi final.

Washington and Oregon must win 2 games to get to the finals.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2017, 12:35:47 am by txram » Report Spam   Logged
txram
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 04, 2017, 03:46:58 pm »

In one semi-final game, #1 Florida beat #6 Washington 5-2 on a 2-hitter, Washington scoring with 2 out in the 7th on an error and a HR.  They weren't even using their ace, Barnhill.  Gourley, a lefty, got her first start and had 10 K's.  Florida moves on to the finals.

#10, defending champs, Oklahoma beat #3 Oregon 4-2 with 4 runs in the 5th and move on to the finals.  Oklahoma has been hot lately and obviously playing better than their #10 seed.  I don't see them beating Florida though.

It'll be best of 3 finals starting Monday.

I realize at this point, there is no direct Fordham softball connection other than to say we lost to Florida 4-0 early in the year.  We faced Gourley, getting 1 hit off of her (by Hughes).  Mayer was the only batter who didn't strike out against her.  I thought I'd finish the NCAA thread though the final game.  It'd be good to say we played the eventual world champs once more, as we did Alabama in 2012, beating them 8-5, one of their only 7 losses that year.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2017, 10:03:50 pm by txram » Report Spam   Logged
joesunfish
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 05, 2017, 05:33:33 am »

txram, thanks to you, I watched Washington beat UCLA the other night, and then my bride and I watched the two games to which you referred yesterday. Florida is scary good, (no great!) and the Ducks vs. the Sooners game was a nail-biter and outstanding. I've always
loved softball, and have played and coached it, but these gals are in a whole different galaxy. When that one player hit a 400+' home run, which traveled just to the right and beyond the grandstand in right field in the Washington vs UCLA game, I couldn't believe my eyes! It was amazing and very exciting!
Report Spam   Logged
fordham81
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 05, 2017, 10:04:50 am »

The talent and skill levels amongst these teams is incredible. We may be strong in the A10- but this is at a whole different level.
Report Spam   Logged
txram
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 05, 2017, 10:49:28 am »

The talent and skill levels amongst these teams is incredible. We may be strong in the A10- but this is at a whole different level.
+1  Both individually and across the board.  The best of the best.  Several are on Team USA.

One of the big differences is that pitchers can get in the low 70's (equivalent to 100+ in baseball) with movement, vs A10 level usually being low to mid-60's at the most.

Interesting fact:  in 6 games, the WCWS has had 55,000 in attendance.  The women's bb 8 game regionals had 38,000.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2017, 07:19:58 pm by txram » Report Spam   Logged
txram
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 05, 2017, 09:09:58 pm »

I was about to post about Oklahoma winning, but...

In game 1, Florida down 2-1 and down to their last strike in the 7th, tied it on a looping pop fly that fell in with the outfielders playing deep, scoring the runner from 1b, who had walked.

Oklahoma hitters moved up in the box and got a HR, a double and single on Barnhill's 74 mph rise ball to score their 2 runs.  Barnhill throws with a hop, which is illegal, but she hasn't been called on it even once in the post season.

Both SSs are incredible!  Unlike baseball, they have less than 3 seconds to field the ball and throw the runner out.

In the top of the 12th, Oklahoma got a double and a HR off Gourley, who replaced Barnhill, to go up 4-2.  Florida had 2 on and 2 out with 2 strikes in the bottom of the 12th and a double tied the game again.  Unbelievable!

This is the longest game in WCWS history, and maybe the best.

Oklahoma loaded the bases in the 15th and couldn't score.  They loaded them again in the 16th and couldn't score, having 1 runner just barely forced out at home.

In the top of the 17th, Oklahoma got a 3-run HR, their 3rd HR tonight against a staff that only gave up 7 in 66 games.  Florida loaded the bases in the bottom of the 17th, but could only get 1 run.  Oklahoma wins 7-5 in 17 innings and go up 1-0 in a best of 3.

Quite a game!
« Last Edit: June 06, 2017, 12:35:46 am by txram » Report Spam   Logged
joesunfish
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: June 05, 2017, 10:54:29 pm »

txram, I'm watching and the announcer just said that 13 innings is the longest game in WS history.

Question...When the first pitcher was replaced in the 12th, did I hear correctly, that she was replaced by the same pitcher, who started the game? Then, I thought I heard that the other starting pitcher could not come in and pitch again. I was unaware of different substitution rules, but it's late, I'm tired, and maybe I heard incorrectly. Would you clarify please.

What an incredible game!
Report Spam   Logged
txram
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 05, 2017, 11:54:13 pm »

txram, I'm watching and the announcer just said that 13 innings is the longest game in WS history.

Question...When the first pitcher was replaced in the 12th, did I hear correctly, that she was replaced by the same pitcher, who started the game? Then, I thought I heard that the other starting pitcher could not come in and pitch again. I was unaware of different substitution rules, but it's late, I'm tired, and maybe I heard incorrectly. Would you clarify please.

What an incredible game!
If the starter is replaced, she can come back in, but the replaced pitcher can't then re-enter unless she stays in the game at another position.  If she comes out of the game, she can't come back in.  Sometimes coaches will move them to the DH role so they technically remain in the game.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2017, 12:26:26 am by txram » Report Spam   Logged
joesunfish
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 06, 2017, 05:36:24 am »

Understood. Thanks.

I fell asleep during the 14th inning; woke up at the top of the 17th and turned off the set; just checked the score and found out that the Sooners beat the Gators 7-5 in the 17th! Oy vay!
Report Spam   Logged
txram
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: June 06, 2017, 10:38:00 pm »

#10 Oklahoma won, defending their championship with a come from behind 5-4 win over #1 Florida.  Both teams went to their #3 pitchers and even went to their #4's as the best were worn out from last night's 17 inning affair, throwing a combined 496 pitches.  Oklahoma brought in their #2 to close it out though.  Great series.

Oklahoma, as a #10 seed was the highest seed ever to win it.  They are only the 4th team to go back-to-back.  They only lose 1 player to graduation too.

As for common opponents, Okahoma beat Tulsa 1-0, 6-4 and 3-0; we beat Tulsa 7-6.  They lost to Arizona 4-3; we lost to them 8-1.  They beat Mississippi State 5-3; we beat them 9-3.  They split with Baylor, winning 3-2, 6-0 and 6-3 while losing 4-3; we beat them 1-0.  They beat Florida 7-5 and 5-4; we lost to them 4-0.

And so, my NCAA coverage has finally ended.  If you missed seeing this WCWS, you missed the best of the best.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2017, 11:14:10 pm by txram » Report Spam   Logged
RickFC77
Junior

Where was Lembo when I needed him?

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: June 07, 2017, 09:49:40 am »

TX,

Thanks for all you do throughout the year.  Give your typing fingers a rest so you are ready for fall ball!
Report Spam   Logged

“Hail men of Fordham hail."
Rambart
Freshman

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: June 07, 2017, 11:32:12 am »

TX,

Thanks for all you do throughout the year.  Give your typing fingers a rest so you are ready for fall ball!
+1 - Nice job with detailed coverage as always

Interesting to look at the rosters for both Oklahoma & Florida - Both very diverse geographically -

Sooners have 8 players from California, 4 players from OK along with players from TX, NM, MO, AL.

Florida has 6 players from California, 7 from Florida along with players from GA, TX, NY

Seems mandatory now to be able to recruit good/great players nationwide in order to have a team that is at this level of play
Report Spam   Logged
txram
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: June 12, 2017, 04:21:55 pm »

In the final coaches' poll, Oklahoma was #1.  As to our opponents, Florida, whom we lost to was #2; Baylor, whom we beat was #7; Utah, whom we lost to, was #14; BYU, whom we lost to was #21; Tulsa, whom we beat was #22; Mississippi State, whom we beat, was tied for #30; and Florida Int'l, whom we lost to, was #34.  (So 3-4 vs top 34 teams)

I haven't seen a final RPI yet to see where we wound up.  While different polls, all of the above opponents moved up from the comparable May 14 RPI except for Florida and BYU who dropped 1 spot, so, in theory, we should be better than our then #44.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: