fordhamfans.com
May 27, 2017, 11:44:13 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Gallery Login Register  

Baseball Gets Improbable Win

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Baseball Gets Improbable Win  (Read 318 times)
txram
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« on: May 16, 2017, 09:08:23 pm »

In the last home game this year, hosting Iona, the Rams were down 7-1 in the 9th and came back to win it.  It was not just winning it, but how they won it.

With runners on 2nd and 3rd, down 7-6, with 2 out and a 1-2 count, senior Mark Donadio hit a slow grounder to SS, which he beat out.  Justin Bardwell scored from 3rd and Jake Baker came all the way around and scored from 2nd.

That was the Rams 19th home win, the most since 1994.  It gave them a 25-23, 9-11 record.  They close out the season with 3 games at St. Bonaventure.  We're in 9th, but it's so close, we could move up to 6th.  It'll be tough though, because the Bonnies are 14-6, in 3rd.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2017, 09:41:08 am by txram » Report Spam   Logged

Social Buttons

NYRam07
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2017, 09:47:45 am »

I believe we need a sweep and help in order to make the playoffs. Not impossible but definitely improbable. St. Bonnies is a good team this year and we're playing on their turf. Likely senior day too.
Report Spam   Logged
98ramgrad
Freshman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2017, 03:42:25 pm »

WHAT HAPPENED TO BASEBALL AT FORDHAM.  When I was a kid that team was a national power...Now they barely make the playoffs.  Was it the Patriot League move that killed them or getting rid of Gallagher?
Report Spam   Logged
tuckertomm
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2017, 04:10:31 pm »

Today, we beat the Bonnies 2-1. Davidson lost first of two they play today. We need help to get in the A-10 Tourney. Win the two we have left with the Bonnies and keep our fingers crossed.
Report Spam   Logged
ace93
Arbitrary and Capricious Administrator
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2017, 04:17:07 pm »

WHAT HAPPENED TO BASEBALL AT FORDHAM.  When I was a kid that team was a national power...Now they barely make the playoffs.  Was it the Patriot League move that killed them or getting rid of Gallagher?

Patriot League move hurt a ton. I think the landscape of college baseball has changed a good bit too since then.
Report Spam   Logged

Nothing replaces success in the revenue sports.  Nothing.  That's not to take away from the success in the Olympic sports - they do matter.  It isn't a replacement for success in the flagship sports. - Debbie Yow, AD - NC State
txram
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2017, 04:35:24 pm »

We beat the Bonnies in game one, 2-1, but lost the 2nd one 7-6 when 2 runs scored in the bottom of the 9th, the 2nd on a passed ball.  We had been up 5-1, then went ahead 6-5 in the 9th.  We have one more game, but w're 26-24, 10-12 and this loss eliminated us from the playoffs.

http://fordhamsports.com/news/2017/5/19/baseball-eliminated-from-playoff-contention-following-loss-at-st-bonaventure.aspx
Report Spam   Logged
J-Sal
Freshman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Yesterday at 05:11:37 pm »

Patriot League move hurt a ton. I think the landscape of college baseball has changed a good bit too since then.

Fordham had a great regular season in '97 and won the post-season tournament in '98 so I can't blame the PL.  Things went south in '99 and the early '00s but Coach Restaino (who played on the '93 PL championship team) quickly restored things.  5 winning seasons out of 7 in the A-10 and a trip the '07 championship game.  Things have been mediocre at best ever since. 
Report Spam   Logged
J-Sal
Freshman

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Yesterday at 05:21:03 pm »

hosting Iona, the Rams were down 7-1 in the 9th and came back to win it.  It was not just winning it, but how they won it.

Kinda hard to think of improbable comebacks (and how they won it) against Iona without also thinking of this:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/04/21/brian-kownacki-jumps-over_n_546772.html

Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: