fordhamfans.com
August 23, 2017, 06:12:08 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Gallery Login Register  

Baseball Gets Improbable Win

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Baseball Gets Improbable Win  (Read 829 times)
txram
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« on: May 16, 2017, 09:08:23 pm »

In the last home game this year, hosting Iona, the Rams were down 7-1 in the 9th and came back to win it.  It was not just winning it, but how they won it.

With runners on 2nd and 3rd, down 7-6, with 2 out and a 1-2 count, senior Mark Donadio hit a slow grounder to SS, which he beat out.  Justin Bardwell scored from 3rd and Jake Baker came all the way around and scored from 2nd.

That was the Rams 19th home win, the most since 1994.  It gave them a 25-23, 9-11 record.  They close out the season with 3 games at St. Bonaventure.  We're in 9th, but it's so close, we could move up to 6th.  It'll be tough though, because the Bonnies are 14-6, in 3rd.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2017, 09:41:08 am by txram » Report Spam   Logged

Social Buttons

NYRam07
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2017, 09:47:45 am »

I believe we need a sweep and help in order to make the playoffs. Not impossible but definitely improbable. St. Bonnies is a good team this year and we're playing on their turf. Likely senior day too.
Report Spam   Logged
98ramgrad
Freshman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2017, 03:42:25 pm »

WHAT HAPPENED TO BASEBALL AT FORDHAM.  When I was a kid that team was a national power...Now they barely make the playoffs.  Was it the Patriot League move that killed them or getting rid of Gallagher?
Report Spam   Logged
tuckertomm
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2017, 04:10:31 pm »

Today, we beat the Bonnies 2-1. Davidson lost first of two they play today. We need help to get in the A-10 Tourney. Win the two we have left with the Bonnies and keep our fingers crossed.
Report Spam   Logged
ace93
Arbitrary and Capricious Administrator
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2017, 04:17:07 pm »

WHAT HAPPENED TO BASEBALL AT FORDHAM.  When I was a kid that team was a national power...Now they barely make the playoffs.  Was it the Patriot League move that killed them or getting rid of Gallagher?

Patriot League move hurt a ton. I think the landscape of college baseball has changed a good bit too since then.
Report Spam   Logged

Nothing replaces success in the revenue sports.  Nothing.  That's not to take away from the success in the Olympic sports - they do matter.  It isn't a replacement for success in the flagship sports. - Debbie Yow, AD - NC State
txram
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2017, 04:35:24 pm »

We beat the Bonnies in game one, 2-1, but lost the 2nd one 7-6 when 2 runs scored in the bottom of the 9th, the 2nd on a passed ball.  We had been up 5-1, then went ahead 6-5 in the 9th.  We have one more game, but w're 26-24, 10-12 and this loss eliminated us from the playoffs.

http://fordhamsports.com/news/2017/5/19/baseball-eliminated-from-playoff-contention-following-loss-at-st-bonaventure.aspx
Report Spam   Logged
J-Sal
Freshman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2017, 05:11:37 pm »

Patriot League move hurt a ton. I think the landscape of college baseball has changed a good bit too since then.

Fordham had a great regular season in '97 and won the post-season tournament in '98 so I can't blame the PL.  Things went south in '99 and the early '00s but Coach Restaino (who played on the '93 PL championship team) quickly restored things.  5 winning seasons out of 7 in the A-10 and a trip the '07 championship game.  Things have been mediocre at best ever since. 
Report Spam   Logged
J-Sal
Freshman

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2017, 05:21:03 pm »

hosting Iona, the Rams were down 7-1 in the 9th and came back to win it.  It was not just winning it, but how they won it.

Kinda hard to think of improbable comebacks (and how they won it) against Iona without also thinking of this:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/04/21/brian-kownacki-jumps-over_n_546772.html

Report Spam   Logged
txram
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2017, 10:47:03 pm »

While we didn't make the A10 tournament, which Davidson won, the A10 rep won the regionals and moved on to the super regionals.  VCU did in 2015, so I guess A10 baseball isn't half bad.
Report Spam   Logged
joesunfish
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2017, 09:13:23 pm »

Kinda hard to think of improbable comebacks (and how they won it) against Iona without also thinking of this:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/04/21/brian-kownacki-jumps-over_n_546772.html

J-Sal, that was awesome. Kownacki follows in the footsteps of "Ozark Ike" in the comics about 60 or so years ago!      Wink
Report Spam   Logged
tuckertomm
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2017, 01:52:33 pm »

Alvin Melendez is off to a hot start in Hamptons Collegiate Baseball League- 6 for 8 AB 5BB league leading Batting Avg.
Report Spam   Logged
txram
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2017, 05:39:36 pm »

Kyle Martin, with 6 wins and a 2.76 ERA was named a Freshman All-American.
http://fordhamsports.com/news/2017/6/7/baseballs-kyle-martin-named-freshman-all-american-by-collegiate-baseball.aspx
Report Spam   Logged
tuckertomm
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2017, 10:16:01 am »

Another Ram off to a hot start Brian Goulard hitting .391 for Shelter Island Bucks.
Report Spam   Logged
ram it 66
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2017, 12:53:17 pm »

J-Sal, that was awesome. Kownacki follows in the footsteps of "Ozark Ike" in the comics about 60 or so years ago!      Wink

Remember Gus Zernial?
Report Spam   Logged
joesunfish
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2017, 01:00:39 pm »

Ram it 66, following is what I found after googling "When did Ozark Ike first appear as a syndicated comics character?"

It does not state which team Gus played for, and I had no idea that Ralph Kiner was called Ozark Ike, but it was in the comic strip, that I first saw a runner (Ozark Ike) score by somersaulting over the catcher to touch home plate.

You may recall, that Ozark Ike also threw one-handed shots the length of a basketball court and SWISH!

Who needed Willie, Mickey or the Duke when we had Ozark Ike to root for in the comics!

Ozark Ike was a newspaper comic strip about dumb but likable Ozark Ike McBatt, a youth from a rural area in the mountains. The strip was created by Rufus A. ("Ray") Gotto while he was serving in the Navy during World War II in Washington, D.C. as an illustrator for Navy instruction manuals.

Strong-but-dumb Ike McBatt is from a hillbilly family living in the small backwoods community of Wildweed Run (pop. 49). Ozark Ike is an all-around athlete, playing baseball, football and basketball. Between seasons, he enters the boxing ring. The characters and the baseball park settings are apparently inspired by Ring Lardner's well-known baseball short story "Alibi Ike" (1915), filmed in 1935 as the comedy Alibi Ike, starring Joe E. Brown in the title role and Olivia de Havilland in her film debut.

Ozark Ike's girlfriend is Dinah Fatfield, whose family has been involved in a feud with the McBatt clan for several generations. As evident in the names, this background situation of the strip was inspired by the Hatfield-McCoy feud.

Gotto presented Ozark Ike to promotor Stephen Slesinger, who also managed Red Ryder, King of the Royal Mounted and the merchandising of Winnie-the-Pooh. Slesinger sold the cartoon to King Features Syndicate, and it debuted November 12, 1945. Gotto's assistant on the strip was Fred Rhoads. Gotto left in 1954, but the strip continued until 1959 under King Features cartoonists Bill Lignante and George Olesen. Lignante was better known as one of the leading courtroom artists for network television. Gotto eventually went on to design the New York Mets logo.

"Ozark Ike" was the nickname of major league baseball players Gus Zernial and Ralph Kiner
Report Spam   Logged
vinnys
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2017, 02:39:13 pm »

Gus played for the White Sox   Tigers and As ( both Philly and KC versions )
Report Spam   Logged
xkaydet65
Freshman

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2017, 05:37:01 pm »

Sometime in the mid 50s I had purchased a five pack of Topp's Bubblegum baseball cards. I had one Whitey Lockman, one Alex Grammas, and THREE Gus Zernials. I almost gave up baseball cards at that moment.
Report Spam   Logged
txram
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2017, 11:18:41 pm »

Our A10 rep, Davidson, lost in 15 innings in the super regionals to A&M in a best of 3.  They were then up 6-2 in the 2nd game but lost 12-6.  A&M moves on to Omaha.  Nice run for an A10 team though.
Report Spam   Logged
tuckertomm
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2017, 11:34:36 am »

In the first week of play- Alvin Melendez has won The Rawlings Player of the Week Award playing for the Riverhead Tomcats, in the Hamptons Collegiate Baseball League. In week#2 he is still swinging a hot bat, hitting .500. Pitching in relief he has also picked up 2 wins. Kyle Martin has 11k's in 4.2 innings of work.
Report Spam   Logged
RAM71
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2017, 05:51:13 pm »

Zach Braziller @NYPost_Brazille 30 minutes ago

Fordham Pitcher Jimmy Murphy to Orioles in 8th round. #mlbdraft
Report Spam   Logged
txram
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2017, 05:53:20 pm »

Grad student RHP and captain Jimmy Murphy got drafted by the Baltimore Orioles in the 8th round (#248 overall) in the 2017 draft.

Oops, 71 posted a sec before me.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2017, 06:24:04 pm by txram » Report Spam   Logged
tuckertomm
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 20, 2017, 11:23:28 am »

Alvin Melendez is hitting a league leading .512 in HCBL 21 for 41 only 1k, Brian Goulard .327 Go Rams!
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: