fordhamfans.com
August 18, 2017, 10:34:38 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Gallery Login Register  

Players I think we should look into. The Recruiting Speculation Game

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Players I think we should look into. The Recruiting Speculation Game  (Read 2103 times)
joeb
Junior

View Profile
« on: May 18, 2017, 01:51:47 pm »

Akoy Agau graduate transfer immediately eligible after stints at G'Town and Louisville.

The 6-foot-8, 235-pound Agau averaged 4.5 points and 4.3 rebounds for the Hoyas last season. A former top 100 recruit in the class of 2013, he began his career at Louisville. Just visited ODU.

Agau would be eligible immediately and has two years of eligibility remaining. According to reports, he visited Illinois last week and is headed to SMU next.

http://www.verbalcommits.com/players/akoy-agau
Report Spam   Logged

Social Buttons

97Ram
Sophomore

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2017, 02:35:51 pm »

Good find.  Agau is exactly the type of player we need.  Strong rebounder, good defender.  Can hit FT's.  I think he'd thrive in JN's system, and probably get a lot more scoring chances.  He also has 2 years left.  I hope the staff at least reached out to him.     
Report Spam   Logged
drunkle
Sophomore

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2017, 02:47:52 pm »

Akoy Agau graduate transfer immediately eligible after stints at G'Town and Louisville.

The 6-foot-8, 235-pound Agau averaged 4.5 points and 4.3 rebounds for the Hoyas last season. A former top 100 recruit in the class of 2013, he began his career at Louisville. Just visited ODU.

Agau would be eligible immediately and has two years of eligibility remaining. According to reports, he visited Illinois last week and is headed to SMU next.

Cool.  Thanks JoeB.  Apologies for cluttering up the recruiting update thread.  I shouldn't have gotten so defensive about it.

Anyway, there ARE some players who both follow and are following Ali Ton on twitter.  And while I know people don't think that's much of anything, Ali was following Devante Jones and Marcus Shaver, guys we know Fordham did offer.  Some names on his following/follows list include 2018 guys Sava Dukic, a guard out in California, Marcus Zegarowski from Mass (although neither VC nor 247 has us on his list, and he's actually in the 100s area rank wise on 247-but UMass and Rhodey are on his list).  Also Michael Diggins Jr, a wing out of Vegas who was supposed to be 2016 and not sure where he actually is now. Looks like it was supposed to be Irvine, which may be why he follows Ali T.  Also Jaiden Delaire, 2019 6'8" with 7' wingspan from Loomis Chaffee, but he's already drawing UConn and St. Louis buzz.

BTW, anyone hear anything more about Jared Simmons.  Per Verbal Commits he has a Rider offer.  We are likely more in need of frontcourt dudes now.  Like this guy Agau you mention.
Report Spam   Logged
Scott W 86
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2017, 02:53:54 pm »

Class '19  6'5" F/G  Le'jon Doss of Fort Worth Nolan Catholic.  Strong kid who plays the kind of swarming defense JN favors.  He's reached 2star as a rising Sophomore.  Followed widely in Texas AAU ball.

Good grades, good teammate.  He could do very at FU.

http://verbalcommits.com/players/le-jon-doss

And his first name is pronounced 'legend' ... seriously!  He goes by the one name... Legend.   Shocked
Report Spam   Logged
ace93
Arbitrary and Capricious Administrator
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2017, 03:05:57 pm »

joeb to the rescue...again! Thanks!!
Report Spam   Logged

Nothing replaces success in the revenue sports.  Nothing.  That's not to take away from the success in the Olympic sports - they do matter.  It isn't a replacement for success in the flagship sports. - Debbie Yow, AD - NC State
joeb
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2017, 04:33:19 pm »

haha the wackos like me will have some fun with this.
Report Spam   Logged
Vooter
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2017, 06:04:01 pm »

Well, there's a lot of guys we could look at--all you have to do is scroll down the Verbal Commits list, look for a "YES" in the "Immediately Eligible" column next to the guy's name, then look for a blank in the "New School" column, which means the guy is still up for grabs (although double-check on the player's individual page--sometimes they've verbally committed without their "New School" status being updated).

In fact, the two guys right after Agau alphabetically on the list fall into the category of people we could look at: Bryan Alberts, 6'5" 198 from Gonzaga, and Keion Alexander (a Brooklyn kid), 6'9" 210 from Morehead State. There are a few others scattered from A to Z on the list.

Unfortunately, one Brooklyn kid that I mentioned a while back--Joel Angus III, 6'7" 215 from Southeast Missouri State--is coming back to the NYC area to play...at Hofstra.
Report Spam   Logged
97Ram
Sophomore

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2017, 12:01:55 pm »

I noticed that Ali Ton started following Ty Cockfield, a 6' 1" JUCO PG from Georgia.  He played two years ago at Stetson as a freshman, before leaving to go JUCO last season.  He put up impressive numbers last year, and appears to be a strong shooter (42.3% from three) with good rebounding and a solid A/TO ratio.  Has offers from Boise State, E. Michigan, S. Florida and E. Kentucky among others.  I think we're pretty strong at guard already.  But, you can never have too many good shooters and, if we are recruiting him, it may be a sign JN plans to play a lot of 3-guard lineups. 

http://thegcaa.com/sports/mbkb/2016-17/players/tycockfield6dlr
Report Spam   Logged
PeterMartin08
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2017, 12:43:17 pm »

But, you can never have too many good shooters and, if we are recruiting him, it may be a sign JN plans to play a lot of 3-guard lineups. 

4-guard, actually.
Report Spam   Logged

Any other team wins the World Series, good for them. They're drinking champagne, they get a ring. But if we win, on our budget, with this team... we'll have changed the game. And that's what I want. I want it to mean something. - Moneyball
alanccrx
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2017, 12:44:47 pm »

I noticed that Ali Ton started following Ty Cockfield, a 6' 1" JUCO PG from Georgia.  He played two years ago at Stetson as a freshman, before leaving to go JUCO last season.  He put up impressive numbers last year, and appears to be a strong shooter (42.3% from three) with good rebounding and a solid A/TO ratio.  Has offers from Boise State, E. Michigan, S. Florida and E. Kentucky among others.  I think we're pretty strong at guard already.  But, you can never have too many good shooters and, if we are recruiting him, it may be a sign JN plans to play a lot of 3-guard lineups. 

http://thegcaa.com/sports/mbkb/2016-17/players/tycockfield6dlr
The way things are shaping up right now... perhaps a 4 guard or even a 5 guard lineup....if you thought Fordham was not a very good
rebounding team last year... watch this coming year...(assuming no other big man or 2 coming in...)
Report Spam   Logged
drunkle
Sophomore

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2017, 01:51:45 pm »

The way things are shaping up right now... perhaps a 4 guard or even a 5 guard lineup....if you thought Fordham was not a very good
rebounding team last year... watch this coming year...(assuming no other big man or 2 coming in...)

Well, like I said before, Eastern Kentucky played 4 starters under 6'5" and under the last year JN took them to the NCAAs.  Only one guy over 6'5" (at 6'8") played more than 10 minutes a game. 

The Ohio Valley isn't the A-10, but that EKU team took VCU to overtime at VCU, and was tied with Kansas in the NCAAs (and within 3 with under 4 minutes left).  That team didn't rebound well either, but made up for it elsewhere (they got off more shots than their opponents anyway at a higher eFG%; turnovers and 3s).

Get better at 3s and it could be workable. Of course, you gotta make the 3s, and optimally you do everything well.  So I'd love to see us get more athletic, skilled bigs.  And there can be drawbacks to the havoc D.  But there are advantages which JN can exploit with the right players
Report Spam   Logged
Battering Ram
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2017, 03:50:46 pm »

just a reminder the JN will be the first to acknowledge that these teams are usually among the worse in the country in rebounding.  His coaching style looks to emphasize other parts of the game.
Report Spam   Logged
joeb
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2017, 09:36:09 am »

I think grad transfer Bo Zeigler from USF could help us. 6-6 forward who can really run and jump. Unreal dunks. Can run, rebound, block shots and defend. Not a perimeter shooter  and is a bad free throw shooter.

2016-17   USF   20.5   2.1-3.9   .545   0.0-0.1   .000   0.4-1.1   .387   3.5   1.4   0.7   0.8   2.7   1.6   4.7
2015-16   USF   22.2   1.7-3.0   .557   0.0-0.3   .100   0.5-1.2   .459   2.8   1.4   0.9   0.7   2.3   1.6   3.9
2014-15   USF   24.3   2.7-5.3   .506   0.0-0.1   .000   1.0-2.5   .410   4.5   0.5   1.1   0.4   3.0   1.5   6.4

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/player/_/id/67625/bo-zeigler

Hawkins and zeigler didnt play together, missing by a year, but they are also both from Michigan so they probably met.

« Last Edit: May 25, 2017, 05:03:55 pm by joeb » Report Spam   Logged
VTRAM
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2017, 03:35:33 pm »

I think grad transfer Bo Zeigler from USF could help us. 6-6 forward who can really run and jump. Unreal dunks. Can run, rebound, block shots and defend. Not a perimeter shooter  and is a bad free throw shooter.

2016-17   USF   20.5   2.1-3.9   .545   0.0-0.1   .000   0.4-1.1   .387   3.5   1.4   0.7   0.8   2.7   1.6   4.7
2015-16   USF   22.2   1.7-3.0   .557   0.0-0.3   .100   0.5-1.2   .459   2.8   1.4   0.9   0.7   2.3   1.6   3.9
2014-15   USF   24.3   2.7-5.3   .506   0.0-0.1   .000   1.0-2.5   .410   4.5   0.5   1.1   0.4   3.0   1.5   6.4

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/player/_/id/67625/bo-zeigler

Hawkins and zeigler didnt play together, missing by a year, but they are also both from Michigan so they have probably met.

Hard time believing we would want a 6-6 guy who can't shoot.
Report Spam   Logged
Vooter
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2017, 05:11:21 pm »

I think grad transfer Bo Zeigler from USF could help us. 6-6 forward who can really run and jump. Unreal dunks. Can run, rebound, block shots and defend. Not a perimeter shooter and is a bad free throw shooter.

Why would he want to come to Fordham?
Report Spam   Logged
joeb
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2017, 05:53:07 pm »

The historic frank mcglocklin court
« Last Edit: May 25, 2017, 06:08:22 pm by joeb » Report Spam   Logged
joeb
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2017, 05:56:24 pm »

Why would rozelle nix want to come to fordham?
Report Spam   Logged
Vooter
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2017, 09:04:07 pm »

Why would rozelle nix want to come to fordham?

Touché!
Report Spam   Logged
acrammer
Freshman

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2017, 10:59:13 am »

Would you take a flyer on a 6'8 kid who's dad is a NYC basketball legend and former NBA great.  His son has one offer according to verbal commits and didn't start playing organized basketball till high school.  Looks like a dead ringer for his dad, could develop into something special.

http://www.verbalcommits.com/players/ron-artest-iii

https://sports.vice.com/en_us/article/like-father-like-son-how-ron-artest-iii-finally-came-around-to-basketball
Report Spam   Logged
ace93
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2017, 12:36:34 pm »

Would you take a flyer on a 6'8 kid who's dad is a NYC basketball legend and former NBA great.  His son has one offer according to verbal commits and didn't start playing organized basketball till high school.  Looks like a dead ringer for his dad, could develop into something special.

http://www.verbalcommits.com/players/ron-artest-iii

https://sports.vice.com/en_us/article/like-father-like-son-how-ron-artest-iii-finally-came-around-to-basketball

I don't think there is any right or wrong answer, but I would take a flier on him if we don't have other solid options right now. He might improve a ton and worst case we get some publicity.
Report Spam   Logged

Nothing replaces success in the revenue sports.  Nothing.  That's not to take away from the success in the Olympic sports - they do matter.  It isn't a replacement for success in the flagship sports. - Debbie Yow, AD - NC State
NYRam07
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2017, 12:54:39 pm »

I don't think there is any right or wrong answer, but I would take a flier on him if we don't have other solid options right now. He might improve a ton and worst case we get some publicity.

Question is... Does JN, Roach or the MiB want Metta in the gym? around the program? on campus? Sometimes the Skill of a player doesn't necessarily dictate a decision (see Kaep).
Report Spam   Logged
Scott W 86
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 31, 2017, 01:50:51 pm »

Question is... Does JN, Roach or the MiB want Metta in the gym? around the program? on campus? Sometimes the Skill of a player doesn't necessarily dictate a decision (see Kaep).

Eric P's father just said there is no risk associated with dads hanging around. 
Report Spam   Logged
NYRam07
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 31, 2017, 02:44:59 pm »

Eric P's father just said there is no risk associated with dads hanging around. 

Evil
Report Spam   Logged
El Jefe
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 01, 2017, 08:21:50 pm »

One uncommitted transfer that I find intriguing is Micah Thomas, a 6'7" SF from University of Maryland.  He was a 3 star recruit coming out of Huntington Prep, where he did his senior year of HS.  He has a 7'1" wingspan and reportedly is athletic (He was rated the #2 in TN and the #35 SF in the class of 2016).  One month after signing with MD, they signed another SF which caused the Terps to red-shirt Thomas this past year.  Thomas would need to sit next year, but would have four years of eligibility remaining.  I don't know why he is yet to transfer elsewhere.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/terrapins-insider/wp/2017/03/29/freshman-forward-micah-thomas-will-transfer-from-maryland-basketball/?utm_term=.80635dcca257

http://www.testudotimes.com/maryland-terrapins-basketball-recruiting/2016/4/28/11528358/Terps-micah-thomas-commit
Report Spam   Logged
drunkle
Sophomore

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 02, 2017, 11:55:54 am »

One uncommitted transfer that I find intriguing is Micah Thomas, a 6'7" SF from University of Maryland.  He was a 3 star recruit coming out of Huntington Prep, where he did his senior year of HS.  He has a 7'1" wingspan and reportedly is athletic (He was rated the #2 in TN and the #35 SF in the class of 2016).  One month after signing with MD, they signed another SF which caused the Terps to red-shirt Thomas this past year.  Thomas would need to sit next year, but would have four years of eligibility remaining.  I don't know why he is yet to transfer elsewhere.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/terrapins-insider/wp/2017/03/29/freshman-forward-micah-thomas-will-transfer-from-maryland-basketball/?utm_term=.80635dcca257

http://www.testudotimes.com/maryland-terrapins-basketball-recruiting/2016/4/28/11528358/Terps-micah-thomas-commit

Not sure what is up with Thomas, but from the you never know where you will find a great player department:

http://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/a-path-of-life-and-death-jake-wiley-quit-then-conquered-now-aims-for-nba-draft/
Report Spam   Logged
RAM71
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 02, 2017, 10:07:40 pm »

PG Damari Parris is transferring from Western Kentucky. We recruited him out of Evelyn Mack in NC where he was a prolific scorer prior to the WKU commitment. I think he needed a year to mature physically and did not live up to expectations in his frosh year. He was also hampered by a hand injury. He would need to sit a year and have thee years left. I think he could be a very nice player but I don't know if we have the luxury of being able to have another player sit out next year. 
Report Spam   Logged
acrammer
Freshman

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 10, 2017, 01:52:45 pm »

PG Damari Parris is transferring from Western Kentucky. We recruited him out of Evelyn Mack in NC where he was a prolific scorer prior to the WKU commitment. I think he needed a year to mature physically and did not live up to expectations in his frosh year. He was also hampered by a hand injury. He would need to sit a year and have thee years left. I think he could be a very nice player but I don't know if we have the luxury of being able to have another player sit out next year. 

Tough situation for the kid.  Are you eligible immediately if the school decides to not renew your scholarship?  Damari was forced to transfer, doesn't seem fair he would need to sit out a year as well.

http://www.bgdailynews.com/sports/wku/hilltopper-guard-parris-won-t-return-for-sophomore-season/article_6b033195-814e-5ced-80d1-45a28f3d878a.html
Report Spam   Logged
ace93
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 10, 2017, 01:58:07 pm »

Tough situation for the kid.  Are you eligible immediately if the school decides to not renew your scholarship?  Damari was forced to transfer, doesn't seem fair he would need to sit out a year as well.

http://www.bgdailynews.com/sports/wku/hilltopper-guard-parris-won-t-return-for-sophomore-season/article_6b033195-814e-5ced-80d1-45a28f3d878a.html

It is not fair, but he does indeed have to sit. He should appeal to the NCAA if for no other reason than to make a point.
Report Spam   Logged

SIram
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 10, 2017, 02:33:42 pm »

I read the story and found the way the coach went about it to be very strange

Was there some underlying reason not to renew a scholarship for the only returning player, at this late date?

Unless the coach found a four star players under a rock it does not seem to benefit the team or the player

It is not fair, but he does indeed have to sit. He should appeal to the NCAA if for no other reason than to make a point.

He should absolutely appeal, the player did not choose to leave, he is being forced, he should have the right to play immediately but what does the NCAA care about doing the right thing
Report Spam   Logged
NYRam07
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 10, 2017, 03:41:15 pm »

Perhaps all it will take is an appeal to set the precedent. I'd like to hear the NCAAs argument in favor of forcing a kid to sit a year after having his scholarship revoked.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: