fordhamfans.com
August 18, 2017, 10:36:43 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Gallery Login Register  

Football Schedules 2017-18-19

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Football Schedules 2017-18-19  (Read 2156 times)
PA Ram
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 31, 2017, 08:47:10 pm »

I disagree.. in a one bid league the only thing that matters is winning the leagues auto bid. The non conference schedule means nothing if you think it's truly a one bid league. Why not play the best teams you can out of conference to attract better recruits. The only way the pl becomes a 2 bid league is by scheduling and winning games against the better fcs teams as well as lower level fbs.

I agree.  Scheduling tough gives you two avenues to get there.  The most likely is as PL champ which a more aggressive OOC will only help better prep us for.  Likewise, if we somehow do well in OOC but slip up in one PL game we at least still have a shot.  Running the table against Patsies in the OOC skid won't help us in either regard imo
Report Spam   Logged
An Old Coach
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 01, 2017, 07:21:44 am »

If the goal is to be in contention for a playoff spot every year the current strategy is exactly what we should be doing.  It's a balanced OOC schedule with an FBS team that we should play with, a top FCS team, and 3 beatable locals. Hopefully the PL will improve at some point but the focus has to be winning the conference or finishing second and piling up OOC wins. If we had beaten Monmouth last year we would have been in despite not winning the PL.
Report Spam   Logged
RamAlum13
Freshman

lord i was born a ramblin man

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 01, 2017, 08:57:13 am »

If the goal is to be in contention for a playoff spot every year the current strategy is exactly what we should be doing.  It's a balanced OOC schedule with an FBS team that we should play with, a top FCS team, and 3 beatable locals. Hopefully the PL will improve at some point but the focus has to be winning the conference or finishing second and piling up OOC wins. If we had beaten Monmouth last year we would have been in despite not winning the PL.

+1

We are on the right track - small steps have been taken every year over the past 5-8 that have put bus in a great spot to continue the success we've been having.
Report Spam   Logged
PA Ram
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 01, 2017, 01:00:30 pm »

Agree overall although I would call this year's OOC pretty aggressive.  Much more so than last year certainly.
Report Spam   Logged
Madram
Freshman

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 01, 2017, 02:56:17 pm »

Yes . This makes sense but What you said earlier was that we are a one bid league. If we are a one bid league then you have to schedule the best ooc possible. I think this years ooc is great and puts us in a great position to go 9-2 and go as a second place team.

If we lose to say Lehigh and either army or eastern Washington but beat the other we have a great chance to go at large. Not a lock at all but a good chance .. 10-1 with wins against army and eastern Washington and we're in even with a loss to Lehigh and second place.

On a side note , I think the eastern Washington game is the biggest home game in the programs history. At home against a national power is huge. It won't have the patriot  league importance or the nova factor but it's a non conference national fcs power at home and we haven't had many like this ever
Report Spam   Logged
NYRam07
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 01, 2017, 03:49:46 pm »

On a side note , I think the eastern Washington game is the biggest home game in the programs history. At home against a national power is huge. It won't have the patriot  league importance or the nova factor but it's a non conference national fcs power at home and we haven't had many like this ever

Agreed but I wonder if we'll get the people to show up for this game. Nova should always draw well because of the amt of Nova Grads that live in and near NYC/LI and its fairly common people of the same social circles to choose one or the other so it has the potential to become an amazing and natural rivalry.

I'd like Nova on the schedule every single year. Could turn into the game of the season. I am pumped for the Eastern Washington game though and i'll be there for it. Would be a sick win.
Report Spam   Logged
An Old Coach
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 01, 2017, 03:54:06 pm »

Yes . This makes sense but What you said earlier was that we are a one bid league. If we are a one bid league then you have to schedule the best ooc possible. I think this years ooc is great and puts us in a great position to go 9-2 and go as a second place team.

If we lose to say Lehigh and either army or eastern Washington but beat the other we have a great chance to go at large. Not a lock at all but a good chance .. 10-1 with wins against army and eastern Washington and we're in even with a loss to Lehigh and second place.

I think we are a one-bid league but I almost view Fordham as an independent.  We've gone off and done our own thing with scholarships and we're still getting the benefit of that.  If we go 9-2, even 8-3 with this schedule and pile up the points, we're still in the play-off picture.  This year should we have a worst case, lose to Army, E. Wash and Lehigh in close games and finish second in the PL but if we win our games by big margins, I could make the argument that we get a bid.
Report Spam   Logged
joea
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 01, 2017, 04:40:11 pm »

Eastern Washington comes here after opening at Texas Tech, and then hosting North Dakota State for week 2. Their game after us is the Montana Griz, a hated rival for them. We need to play well, hopefully win, and establish some national credibility for Fordham and the Patriot League.

The PL has had 2 bids a couple of times recently, but not often, so yes we need to bulk up the OOC schedule, and win,  if we want to have better odds for an at large, but so do the other teams in the PL to improve the league perception, and the only ones capable of that at the moment are Colgate and Lehigh.

Report Spam   Logged
Madram
Freshman

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 01, 2017, 09:23:13 pm »

Eastern Washington was absolutely scary last season over 42ppg and 516 yards of total offfense per game. Defense was pretty good for a team with such a high flying offense. The fact that they have to travel to the Bronx after 2 tough games will be a big advantage but they are a very very very good team the likes of which we rarely see
Report Spam   Logged
Scott W 86
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 07, 2017, 12:42:35 pm »

I think we are a one-bid league but I almost view Fordham as an independent.  We've gone off and done our own thing with scholarships and we're still getting the benefit of that.  If we go 9-2, even 8-3 with this schedule and pile up the points, we're still in the play-off picture.  This year should we have a worst case, lose to Army, E. Wash and Lehigh in close games and finish second in the PL but if we win our games by big margins, I could make the argument that we get a bid.

I hope that's correct Coach.

But I think we'll win at least one of those games.   We play Lehigh at home.
Report Spam   Logged
2ram
Sophomore

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 14, 2017, 02:44:39 pm »

i think we have to win at least one of them, otherwise same story as last year. 2016 was the story of having a good record, but not beating anyone good enough to put us in the playoffs.
Report Spam   Logged
DFW HOYA
Freshman

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 17, 2017, 05:32:03 pm »

Holy Cross is also upgrading.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2017, 04:47:25 am by DFW HOYA » Report Spam   Logged
Ram-Spouse
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 05, 2017, 09:03:39 am »

So what you are saying is.....that we beat Lehigh?
Report Spam   Logged
charlietags
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 12, 2017, 10:39:55 pm »

Sorry for being late to the party guys but yes we must beat Lehigh. If we are competitive with Army and EWU we should have no problem getting into the playoffs even if we slip up, but not with a home game.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: