fordhamfans.com
June 25, 2017, 06:31:18 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Gallery Login Register  

Pre Pre Season X & O

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Pre Pre Season X & O  (Read 600 times)
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« on: June 01, 2017, 07:55:44 am »

Love Neubauer's coaching but the one thing that needs to be changed, in my view, is with the bigs.  Staff needs to adapt to the refs in the A-10- who routinely call ticky tac fouls up top on perimeter. We saw it with Rhoomes and last year Slanina, Ohams and Bunting would have all fouled out in first half if they were starters.  A big comes out on an A-10 guard and breathes on him, they call it.

The great defense that is coached up has to be adapted to the A-10 officiating. Cant have the bigs out on perimeter getting called for brush fouls on guards. It hurt us last year.  I know the rotation is part of the plan but we will have no bigs left in second half next year if it continues.

How do they adapt without upsetting the great D that is played?
Report Spam   Logged

Social Buttons

RAM71
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2017, 08:16:14 am »

Can the bigs be coached to avoid some of those ticky-tack fouls?
Report Spam   Logged
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2017, 08:22:07 am »

A lot is the officiating. Not sure how much of a change might upset the entire system that Crawford has going. Hey, if they are going to call you for a brush foul up top, then make it count in Goran Skoko style and lay the guard out.  We will be looking at major minutes for Ohams and Slanina next year.  Has to be cut down, somehow.
Report Spam   Logged
LXRF
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2017, 08:35:42 am »

Or we can not change the way we play but recruit some more Bigs since we have spots open on the team.
Report Spam   Logged
ramfan01
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2017, 08:47:07 am »

Often when those bigs go out beyond the 3 point line to trap they do foul, but if it is not called the quick guards shed them and find an open man under in the vacant spot under the basket where bigs should be.  I don't like it when our slow bigs go out, it never works out.
Report Spam   Logged
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2017, 09:14:45 am »

Or we can not change the way we play but recruit some more Bigs since we have spots open on the team.

2 spots open. We shall see. Maybe hold one for mid year transfer?

I agree that we need a big, a banger, rebounder tough guy type.
Report Spam   Logged
Kaup
Freshman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2017, 10:06:27 am »

Some of this problem is coaching, some is officiating, some of it is execution or just plain stupidity.

On a related note, one of the biggest holes in our defense, and I think the one we get the luckiest with, is our trapping by the hash mark.  As soon as our big commits to the trap, the opposing ball handler should drive right at him.  He can use the big's momentum against him for the blow by creating all kind of advantages and options, possibly shed his own defender using our big as a screen on his own teammate, or draw the foul.

I think the biggest problem here is we just haven't had the type of player ideally suited for that role in this defense yet.
Report Spam   Logged
Vinseiro2
Freshman

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2017, 10:39:31 am »

The point of this defense is to disrupt the opponent's half-court set plays, get the ball in the hands of a non-ball handler, and force errant passes.  I like the approach, but I think you use less of it than we did.  That fixes some of the fouling issues.
Report Spam   Logged
Ram 83
Sophomore

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2017, 10:42:50 am »

A lot of this is how you defend the pick & roll.  You can scheme to have your perimeter defenders fight through screens, and have your bigs just "show" to slow down the ballhandler, or you can switch immediately to avoid any miscommunication on the screen.  It appears JN's philosophy is the latter, but that may be due to the relative inexperience of his bigs.  It takes time and game reps to properly hedge out to slow down the ballhandler without losing contact with the screener.

If the current lack of bigs on the roster continues, JN will have to adjust that philosophy in order to avoid foul trouble, but I'm sure he knows that.
Report Spam   Logged
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2017, 11:21:50 am »

We definitely need another big in this system.
Report Spam   Logged
SIram
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2017, 11:31:06 am »

Agreed, I just hope we hear something soon for my own selfish reasons
Report Spam   Logged
alanccrx
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2017, 11:40:13 am »

Could not agree more.  Fordham's recruiting "skills" needs modification quickly...
Report Spam   Logged
RamFan78
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2017, 11:48:00 am »

A lot of this is how you defend the pick & roll.  You can scheme to have your perimeter defenders fight through screens, and have your bigs just "show" to slow down the ballhandler, or you can switch immediately to avoid any miscommunication on the screen.  It appears JN's philosophy is the latter, but that may be due to the relative inexperience of his bigs.  It takes time and game reps to properly hedge out to slow down the ballhandler without losing contact with the screener.

If the current lack of bigs on the roster continues, JN will have to adjust that philosophy in order to avoid foul trouble, but I'm sure he knows that.

Two points. One its not always the bigs fault. At times with the pressure defense our guards got beat at the circle and the bigs would often pick up fouls on the drives to the hoop. Second, JN did adjust somewhat this year and often employed a zone defense which helped for a number of reasons.

One thing you can't teach is quickness to some extent. Positioning is important but so is quickness.Other than Ohams I wouldn't really call any of our bigs quick.
Report Spam   Logged
kidfromny
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2017, 01:15:02 pm »

Two points. One its not always the bigs fault. At times with the pressure defense our guards got beat at the circle and the bigs would often pick up fouls on the drives to the hoop. Second, JN did adjust somewhat this year and often employed a zone defense which helped for a number of reasons.

One thing you can't teach is quickness to some extent. Positioning is important but so is quickness.Other than Ohams I wouldn't really call any of our bigs quick.

How about the fact that they try to block every single shot, wherever they are on the floor. Should be drilled into their brains not to leave their feet. Fundamental 101.
Report Spam   Logged
Rich93
Class of 93
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2017, 12:52:50 pm »

The point of this defense is to disrupt the opponent's half-court set plays, get the ball in the hands of a non-ball handler, and force errant passes.  I like the approach, but I think you use less of it than we did.  That fixes some of the fouling issues.

+1.  If a team is looking for you to trap and you do not that is disrupting because they are not prepared to face straight man to man or a zone. 

How about the fact that they try to block every single shot, wherever they are on the floor. Should be drilled into their brains not to leave their feet. Fundamental 101.

They are not trying to block every shot, they are running teams off the three point line.  They want to force teams into taking long 2s the most inefficient shot in basketball.  The defense focuses on turnovers and not allowing other teams to make threes.  They are willing to trade some lay ups to avoid teams taking threes and creating turnovers.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2017, 02:01:55 pm by Rich93 » Report Spam   Logged

WINNING MATTERS
alanccrx
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2017, 01:59:19 pm »

+1.  If a team is looking for you to trap and you do not that is disrupting because they are not prepared to face straight man to man or a zone. 
Absolutely correct.... Mixing up defenses works well with correct players on the court...
Report Spam   Logged
Battering Ram
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2017, 02:06:37 pm »

I think this is one of JN's strengths.  He regularly changes defenses and to his credit (and credit to his staff), our guys seem pretty good at adapting and playing different styles.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: