fordhamfans.com
November 22, 2017, 05:14:51 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Gallery Login Register  

Starting Line Up '17-18'

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Starting Line Up '17-18'  (Read 6077 times)
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 26, 2017, 05:50:42 pm »

I cant stand these constant comments about bulking up Ohams. He is a very good and complete basketball player. He dominated, absolutely dominated, a chiseled Mo Ali Cox last year......he appears to be working very hard in off season, please stop the insulting comments like he needs a good meal. Seems to be a solid kid and presented well in the News 12 interview, he will be our most important player this year.
Report Spam   Logged
ace93
Arbitrary and Capricious Administrator
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 26, 2017, 06:32:20 pm »

Chuba looks as if he could use a real good meal (or two)...Fordham needs bulk and size to really compete in A-10. 

These type of comments get made about certain guys for their entire career. Some guys just won't be able to put on much bulk, but they can get stronger. Chuba held his own against Alie-Cox of VCU who was one of three bigger guys in the A10.
Report Spam   Logged

Nothing replaces success in the revenue sports.  Nothing.  That's not to take away from the success in the Olympic sports - they do matter.  It isn't a replacement for success in the flagship sports. - Debbie Yow, AD - NC State
John
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 27, 2017, 12:16:53 am »

Ed Bona was about Chuba's size, and no one complained about him not being strong enough to compete.
Report Spam   Logged
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 27, 2017, 08:15:30 am »

Its one thing if he is getting pushed around and boxed out easily. However, that is not the case with this player. He plays strong. Body shaming comments are nonsense if you dont actually watch the games and see how he plays.
Report Spam   Logged
tuckertomm
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 27, 2017, 09:04:19 am »

Chuba's quickness tips the scales in his favor. I'm with Rambacker looking forward to watching him break out.
Report Spam   Logged
cbbdan
Freshman

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 27, 2017, 10:05:42 am »

So is Ivan Raut on the team?
Report Spam   Logged
rambacker
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 27, 2017, 11:52:54 am »

So is Ivan Raut on the team?

Yes, arrives on campus today.
Report Spam   Logged
shortshot
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 27, 2017, 11:57:42 am »

Still not listed on the Fordham official roster (so what else is new)
http://www.fordhamsports.com/roster.aspx?path=mbball

but is mentioned in the A10 Season Preview by a10Talk
http://www.a10talk.com/fordham-rams-full-2017-18-season-preview/
Report Spam   Logged
cbbdan
Freshman

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 27, 2017, 07:27:24 pm »

Thanks, hope we find one more big, but if not:

G - Hicks/Havsa
G - Chartouny/Evans/Zarkovic
W - Tavares/Raut
F - Ohams/Pekarek
C - Slanina/Bunting

As you can see we are pretty thin up front with little depth. I like the versatility on offense because they can face up bigger slower post players. It's post defense and rim protection i'm worried about, although our defensive scheme should help.

I wish we had a reliable big that could allow Ohams to slide down and at least start to develop on the wing, because I feel like he is naturally a big wing player, he has just been forced to play exclusively as a big so far. Bunting and Pekarek need to take that next step and be reliable upperclassmen and rotation players.

We should see a lot of dual PG lineups which I like. Hicks should get the early nod with Chartouny, with Evans being the sixth starter and Havsa continuing to develop after a nice ending to last season. This is definitely the strength of our team, pretty good 4 guard rotation there.

I still like Tavares and I think he will start on the wing. We need some length on the perimeter and he is our best bet to fill the crucial 3 and D role. IMO Tavares and Slanina will make the biggest jump in production of the returnees, how big could be the key to our season. Raut is a mystery and will most likely have to wait his turn, and Zarko is Zarko.
Report Spam   Logged
rambacker
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 27, 2017, 08:08:35 pm »

Still not listed on the Fordham official roster (so what else is new)
http://www.fordhamsports.com/roster.aspx?path=mbball

but is mentioned in the A10 Season Preview by a10Talk
http://www.a10talk.com/fordham-rams-full-2017-18-season-preview/

SS, he cannot be listed on the roster until he is enrolled. He just arrived.
Report Spam   Logged
Rich93
Class of 93
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 28, 2017, 11:13:26 am »

I think starters will be:

Chartouny Hicks Evans Ohams Slanina. First guard off bench Havsa.  First wing off bench Tavares.  First big Bunting.  That is 8 so there are minutes for Pekarek Raut to earn. 
Report Spam   Logged

WINNING MATTERS
El Jefe
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 28, 2017, 11:29:47 am »

SS, he cannot be listed on the roster until he is enrolled. He just arrived.

Raut is now on the roster.
Report Spam   Logged
SIram
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 28, 2017, 12:05:25 pm »

Raut is now on the roster.

Gazi (DePaul transfer) is also on the roster
Report Spam   Logged
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 28, 2017, 12:06:46 pm »

Ohams Taveres Slanina   Hicks  Chartouny
Report Spam   Logged
cbbdan
Freshman

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 29, 2017, 09:20:16 am »

So I guess that's it, right? We're at 13 if I'm not mistaken
Report Spam   Logged
drunkle
Sophomore

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: August 29, 2017, 10:27:18 am »

Now they have to work on those bios.  Wink

I was a little disappointed that Havsa and Chartouny didn't do all that well in international ball this year.  I suppose a lot of those guys play together year round.  It doesn't mean anything but they played better in DI last year than they did in the games this summer.

Overall there's enough to work with.  Hopefully healthier this year.  Psyched to see what Evans and Hicks can bring to the table and if we see 2nd year leaps from Ohams, Slanina, Havsa and Tavares.
Report Spam   Logged
kidfromny
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 29, 2017, 10:39:31 am »

Now they have to work on those bios.  Wink

I was a little disappointed that Havsa and Chartouny didn't do all that well in international ball this year.  I suppose a lot of those guys play together year round.  It doesn't mean anything but they played better in DI last year than they did in the games this summer.

Overall there's enough to work with.  Hopefully healthier this year.  Psyched to see what Evans and Hicks can bring to the table and if we see 2nd year leaps from Ohams, Slanina, Havsa and Tavares.

I think a healthy Slanina has the most potential to make an impact. There is one huge "if" though, and that's if he remains under control on defense and eliminates the bs fouls. He should not be contesting three point shots on the perimeter or be leaving his feet every single time. He needs defensive obedience.
Report Spam   Logged
FU85
Sophomore

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 29, 2017, 07:58:12 pm »

I think a healthy Slanina has the most potential to make an impact. There is one huge "if" though, and that's if he remains under control on defense and eliminates the bs fouls. He should not be contesting three point shots on the perimeter or be leaving his feet every single time. He needs defensive obedience.

It was a shame that he got injured last season. He is a guy that needs as much court time as possible and we are not a big team so his progress is critical to our success this season. My biggest concerns are how are we going to replace the points per game we lost the last two seasons, defensive rebounding and matching up against teams that have a center and a power forward with bulk.
Report Spam   Logged
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 30, 2017, 09:10:37 am »

Coach Crawford has his work cut out for him. His defensive schemes are outstanding but the A-10 refs call far too many ticky tac fouls if a big jumps out on a guard. Slanina breathes on a little guard up top and they call it every time.
Report Spam   Logged
VTRAM
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 30, 2017, 09:47:33 am »

Really like the composition of the roster. 11 players who can contribute and 2 sit out transfers. I am not concerned about replacing the scoring. Our offense stunk last year. Honestly I don't know how we could possibly be worse. I think we will shoot the ball much better this year, take care of the ball better, and be much more efficient.

Defensively we will need to replace AA but the loss of Sengfelder is a net positive. Foul trouble for Slanina and Chuba is a concern but as we saw last JN is a master of getting as many mins as possible out of guys in foul trouble,

For me the only starters I would put in pen are JC and PS as well as probably Chuba,.

The other two guards/wings is an open competition at this point I imagine between Hicks, Havsa, Evans, Taveras, and Pekarek. If I had to bet I would say it would be Hicks and Havsa but honestly it doesn;t really matter as this will all sort itself out as the we move into the preseason and OOC schedule.
Report Spam   Logged
drunkle
Sophomore

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 30, 2017, 12:29:13 pm »

Really like the composition of the roster. 11 players who can contribute and 2 sit out transfers. I am not concerned about replacing the scoring. Our offense stunk last year. Honestly I don't know how we could possibly be worse. I think we will shoot the ball much better this year, take care of the ball better, and be much more efficient.

Defensively we will need to replace AA but the loss of Sengfelder is a net positive. Foul trouble for Slanina and Chuba is a concern but as we saw last JN is a master of getting as many mins as possible out of guys in foul trouble,

For me the only starters I would put in pen are JC and PS as well as probably Chuba,.

The other two guards/wings is an open competition at this point I imagine between Hicks, Havsa, Evans, Taveras, and Pekarek. If I had to bet I would say it would be Hicks and Havsa but honestly it doesn;t really matter as this will all sort itself out as the we move into the preseason and OOC schedule.

Hawkins and AA were a little more able to create on their own.  That said Slanina and Chartouny were actually 2nd and 3rd in points per 40 in conference.  Chartouny had the best 3 point % on the team.  Slanina, Bunting and Havsa were 3 of the top 4 in effective FG% in conference. Admittedly the latter 2 in small samples.

Simply having Slanina and Chartouny take on more scoring load will make up for a lot of what was lost.  Slnaina shot over 60% from 2.  Hopefully growth from Chuba and Havsa, and something from Hicks and Evans.    On balance I agree, not so worried about replacing scoring.  Not sure how strong the offense will be but last year's was not a high bar to say the least.  Sengfelder shot much worse from 3 last year and he took a ton, so hopefully the guards will more than make up for that.  Even Taveras wasn't bad from 3 until he hurt his knee against Rutgers (he was 11-19 from 3 until then, abysmal thereafter).

I'm with you.  I like the composition of the roster.  If I had to ask for anything it would be more depth on the interior.  Say, an 18 year old Bob Lanier.  Seriously, one more big would help with the foul propensity (and inevitable injuries).  But that's just a wish and I think we're good to go anyway.  And yes, with all these guards we better be able to take care of the ball.   
Report Spam   Logged
Richie68
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 30, 2017, 12:49:10 pm »

Guessing this now is a real crapshoot, but I would go with Chartouny, Evans, Hicks, Slanina and Chuba to start with Havsa first guard off the bench and Tavares (who I think (hope) will be much improved) first off for the wing.
Report Spam   Logged
RamFan78
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 01, 2017, 05:06:10 pm »

Generally agree except on 2 points. Why/how is the loss of Sengfelder a net positive? He was a solid player for us. I also think AA is more easily replaced with this roster than Sengfelder. If anything we could use a little more depth at the forward spot.
Report Spam   Logged
RamFan78
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 01, 2017, 05:08:48 pm »

Coach Crawford has his work cut out for him. His defensive schemes are outstanding but the A-10 refs call far too many ticky tac fouls if a big jumps out on a guard. Slanina breathes on a little guard up top and they call it every time.

I also think at times the trapping defense exposed some of the bigs especially with the quick guards at the top of the key. I really thought the defense got better when we switched to a zone at times.
Report Spam   Logged
ace93
Arbitrary and Capricious Administrator
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 02, 2017, 02:51:23 pm »

Generally agree except on 2 points. Why/how is the loss of Sengfelder a net positive? He was a solid player for us. I also think AA is more easily replaced with this roster than Sengfelder. If anything we could use a little more depth at the forward spot.

Fairly sure that VTRam was saying that the loss of sengfeldr was a net positive defensively.
Report Spam   Logged

Nothing replaces success in the revenue sports.  Nothing.  That's not to take away from the success in the Olympic sports - they do matter.  It isn't a replacement for success in the flagship sports. - Debbie Yow, AD - NC State
Scott W 86
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 02, 2017, 05:19:49 pm »

I am not concerned about replacing the scoring. 

Agree.  If you have the same number of possessions, and roughly the same shooting % .... the points get replaced.  Magic!
Report Spam   Logged
VTRAM
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 04, 2017, 09:48:43 pm »

Fairly sure that VTRam was saying that the loss of sengfeldr was a net positive defensively.

Yes I was commenting on his defense and I think he was out of place in our system. In general, I think the game is changing in a way where players who lack quickness will struggle whether they are bigs or not. I think Ohams and Bunting can both be just as effective on D in our system.
Report Spam   Logged
LXRF
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 05, 2017, 09:25:59 am »

All of the talk on the Roster compelled me to look at it. It's interesting that all of the players weights except one, Gazi, are listed with either a 0 or a 5 as the last number.  It assumes a steady, season long diet.
Report Spam   Logged
Ram Rhythm
Waterboy

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 29, 2017, 11:30:35 am »

Does anyone have any information on Havsa's offseason?  He is so fun to watch, but I would love to see him put on a little muscle.
Report Spam   Logged
VTRAM
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 29, 2017, 04:26:43 pm »

Does anyone have any information on Havsa's offseason?  He is so fun to watch, but I would love to see him put on a little muscle.

Havsa played in the U20 Fiba world championships for Turkey in July. He was a major part of the team averaging 20 mins/gm but struggled a bit going just 4/20 from 3. He did average 2 assists to 1 TO per game and added 1.6 rebs and 1.3 steals.

Turkey's best player plays for NC State and they have a bunch of guys who play professionally in Europe. Really good competition. Looking forward to watching Havsa this year. Kid has swag.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: