fordhamfans.com
October 22, 2017, 06:48:34 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Gallery Login Register  

Starting Line Up '17-18'

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Starting Line Up '17-18'  (Read 5806 times)
NYRam07
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: October 02, 2017, 10:02:43 am »

BASEKETBALL SEASON CANNOT STARTS SOON ENOUGH!
Report Spam   Logged
Rich93
Class of 93
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 02, 2017, 04:22:18 pm »

Practice started. We should get a video soon.
Report Spam   Logged

WINNING MATTERS
PeterMartin08
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 02, 2017, 04:50:53 pm »

Sometimes you can judge a book by its cover. Saw a few guys at the Yale game (or the first quarter, that is). Forwards do look stronger. Interested to see practice.
Report Spam   Logged

Any other team wins the World Series, good for them. They're drinking champagne, they get a ring. But if we win, on our budget, with this team... we'll have changed the game. And that's what I want. I want it to mean something. - Moneyball
Rich93
Class of 93
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 02, 2017, 05:38:40 pm »

Hicks and Evans looks like a bull dogs in the videos of trading I've seen.  Physically stronger backcourt than we have had in years. 
Report Spam   Logged

WINNING MATTERS
VTRAM
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 03, 2017, 09:51:17 am »

Tip-off dinner looks great. Wish I could attend. In Manhattan with Adam Silver speaking.
Report Spam   Logged
Rich93
Class of 93
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 09, 2017, 11:54:38 am »

New practice video.  Amazingly we made all our threes.   Afro

https://twitter.com/fordhammbb/status/917397806205333505
Report Spam   Logged

WINNING MATTERS
LXRF
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 09, 2017, 02:16:53 pm »

If we can shoot overall 100% from the field like that, I think it's not being unrealistic to say that we can win some games and surprise some teams.  Roll Eyes
Report Spam   Logged
PeterMartin08
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 09, 2017, 02:35:24 pm »

Interesting music choice, I must be very out of touch  Huh?

Shots aside, nice high-low look around 0:56 with the bounce pass from the top of the key. Granted it's a light October scrimmage with a dummy zone, that's the perfect movement and look.
Report Spam   Logged

Any other team wins the World Series, good for them. They're drinking champagne, they get a ring. But if we win, on our budget, with this team... we'll have changed the game. And that's what I want. I want it to mean something. - Moneyball
greenwood
Sophomore

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 09, 2017, 03:11:06 pm »

Looks like no one in practice can guard Ohams, which is terrific unless it also means no one can guard the Ohamsesque opponents besides Ohams.
Report Spam   Logged
John
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 09, 2017, 11:14:41 pm »

Glad to see an organized practice, not like the previous coach's half-unsupervised shootarounds. Guys look to be working hard.
Report Spam   Logged
LXRF
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: October 10, 2017, 10:59:09 am »

It's interesting that Ivan got a shout out in the this week's report.  He was a 6-7" triple question mark when added to the Roster and was generally seen as being a non-factor this season.  If he does get playing time, it will add to his mysterious acquisition and be a coach's vote of confidence in his abilities.
Report Spam   Logged
kidfromny
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: October 10, 2017, 11:22:00 am »

If we can shoot overall 100% from the field like that, I think it's not being unrealistic to say that we can win some games and surprise some teams.  Roll Eyes

Lol. Our guys were shooting lights out.
Report Spam   Logged
97Ram
Sophomore

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: October 10, 2017, 02:59:27 pm »

It's interesting that Ivan got a shout out in the this week's report.  He was a 6-7" triple question mark when added to the Roster and was generally seen as being a non-factor this season.  If he does get playing time, it will add to his mysterious acquisition and be a coach's vote of confidence in his abilities.

Looked to me like he hit a couple of the three pointers in the video.  Pekarek also looked like he hit a few, and it looked like he had some bounce in his step.  If Ivan gives us some bench minutes and Pekarek or Chuba give quality starter minutes, we could be in for a fun season. 
Report Spam   Logged
cbbdan
Freshman

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: October 11, 2017, 11:28:39 am »

Pekarek looking pretty quick on that one play, would be nice if he could earn a starting spot this year. With him and Chuba at the 2 forward spots it would give us nice size and versatility. We would have mismatches all over the place. But that's a big if he hasn't been consistent yet in his two seasons here, but he has shown flashes. Imagine Slanina,Ohams,Pekarek,JC and either Hicks/Evans/Havsa. ALL 5 players could potentially step out and shoot the 3. We have to be able to knock down 3s in this system, it's basically our go to on offense. Cant wait for game 1.
Report Spam   Logged
FU85
Sophomore

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: October 11, 2017, 11:54:48 am »

im not worried about our starting 5 Im more concerned with the 5 that will be on the floor in a tight game with 3 minutes to go and can they get the job done.
Report Spam   Logged
PeterMartin08
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: October 11, 2017, 02:10:06 pm »

im not worried about our starting 5 Im more concerned with the 5 that will be on the floor in a tight game with 3 minutes to go and can they get the job done.

Not sure I understand this, at all...If it's consistently tight (in league play) with 3 minutes to go, that's a very good sign. Under that scenario, I think the vast majority here would take that problem in a heartbeat.

If anything, an above-average in-game coach combined with a (conceivably) deeper bench should be checkmarks for that criteria.

Can you be more specific with your end-of-game concern?

As for me, my concerns are much more 101: Starting lineup questions. Backcourt chemistry/combinations. Talent at forward. Depth at forward.
Report Spam   Logged

pjd
Junior

Tertullian - Model Levite Priest

View Profile WWW
« Reply #76 on: October 11, 2017, 02:11:41 pm »

like those possibilities; Chuba & Tavares both can JUMP.  Slams getting Rose Hill Gym ROCKING; Ya Haah!!!
Report Spam   Logged
Rich93
Class of 93
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: October 11, 2017, 03:13:28 pm »

I am not a fan of The Who starts does not matter itís who finishes cliche.  Getting the right guys on the court to start gets you to the last three minutes.  It all matters.

Starting to wonder if Pekarek is going to get more minutes than we anticipate.
Report Spam   Logged

WINNING MATTERS
PeterMartin08
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: October 11, 2017, 03:40:44 pm »

Starting to wonder if Pekarek is going to get more minutes than we anticipate.

In very plain terms, it's shaping up to be a Sengfelder replacement.
Report Spam   Logged

greenwood
Sophomore

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: October 11, 2017, 05:55:31 pm »

Some teams are better playing 6 guys and some are better playing 9 guys.  Early impression here is this team needs a longer bench, other than Chartouny I don't see a lot of proven workhorses, but a lot of guys whose effectiveness might be capped at 25 minutes, so think we need to have 9 we can at least mostly count on even without factoring injuries.
Report Spam   Logged
PA Ram
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: October 11, 2017, 06:02:37 pm »

How has the staff done improving players, year over year and how many of these guys stick around through the summer?  Sounds like Havsa was on the Turkish National team, right? I would think that's great competition.  Do the rest of the guys stay on campus and work out together?  Are the coaches allowed to do much in the off season?  I know there are big restrictions on what coaches can do for football. Safe to assume it's the same in basketball?
Report Spam   Logged
FU85
Sophomore

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: October 11, 2017, 07:13:36 pm »

Not sure I understand this, at all...If it's consistently tight (in league play) with 3 minutes to go, that's a very good sign. Under that scenario, I think the vast majority here would take that problem in a heartbeat.

If anything, an above-average in-game coach combined with a (conceivably) deeper bench should be checkmarks for that criteria.

Can you be more specific with your end-of-game concern?

As for me, my concerns are much more 101: Starting lineup questions. Backcourt chemistry/combinations. Talent at forward. Depth at forward.

Peter,
     What I mean is when the game is on the line and we need a stop, or a bucket, or a big defensive rebound or someone to take a charge, what guys are gonna be out there?   Maybe slanina doesn't start because he tends to get in foul trouble and his minutes get backloaded? Maybe someone is 2 for 11 from the field and we need a big shot so our 6th man is in the game instead. Starting lineups can change. I just want to know who will be on the floor at the most important time of the game, which might not always be at the end of the game. There are also match up concerns which could effect our lineup.  It looks like we are gonna play a decent number of guys this season so we need to find our best five for the biggest moments. As I read your concerns they seem similar but worded differently. Hope that helps a little. Thanks
Report Spam   Logged
PeterMartin08
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: October 11, 2017, 08:26:53 pm »

Peter,
     What I mean is when the game is on the line and we need a stop, or a bucket, or a big defensive rebound or someone to take a charge, what guys are gonna be out there?   Maybe slanina doesn't start because he tends to get in foul trouble and his minutes get backloaded? Maybe someone is 2 for 11 from the field and we need a big shot so our 6th man is in the game instead. Starting lineups can change. I just want to know who will be on the floor at the most important time of the game, which might not always be at the end of the game. There are also match up concerns which could effect our lineup.  It looks like we are gonna play a decent number of guys this season so we need to find our best five for the biggest moments. As I read your concerns they seem similar but worded differently. Hope that helps a little. Thanks

Saturday afternoon, mid-January v. Davidson on NBCS...under 4 TO, 63-60 game. Who are those 5 players? My guess for the "best 5' - Chuba, Chartouny, Evans, Slanina, Hicks - Foul trouble for Slanina? Bunting would seem like a good defensive option on the floor with Tavares. If you need offense, Pekarek slides into the Sengfelder role. I don't know if he can make enough shots, I suppose we'll see. Chuba/Evans/Hicks will have enough toughness to change the 'soft' culture.
Report Spam   Logged

Rich93
Class of 93
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: October 11, 2017, 09:43:52 pm »

How has the staff done improving players, year over year and how many of these guys stick around through the summer?  Sounds like Havsa was on the Turkish National team, right? I would think that's great competition.  Do the rest of the guys stay on campus and work out together?  Are the coaches allowed to do much in the off season?  I know there are big restrictions on what coaches can do for football. Safe to assume it's the same in basketball?

Some are on campus taking summer courses and working out. Coaches get some  time to work with the players in individual workouts.   There are always open gyms these guys are playing in.
Report Spam   Logged

WINNING MATTERS
Rich93
Class of 93
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: October 17, 2017, 02:32:22 pm »

Based on the Will Tavares comments from Neubauer new prediction:

Chartouny
Evans
Tavares
Ohams
Slanina

Bench

Havsa
Hicks
Bunting
Pekarek
Raut
Report Spam   Logged

WINNING MATTERS
LXRF
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: October 17, 2017, 02:44:53 pm »

Chartouny
Evans
Tavares
Ohams
Slanina

Bench

Havsa
Hicks
Bunting
Pekarek
Raut

That's a keen reading of the tea leaves to divine the starting 5. Add +Zarko in the mix
Report Spam   Logged
drunkle
Sophomore

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: October 17, 2017, 02:46:16 pm »

Chartouny
Evans
Tavares
Ohams
Slanina

Bench

Havsa
Hicks
Bunting
Pekarek
Raut

Yeah, everyone has been talking him up.  It could be that the other starting guard is Hicks over Evans.  Will said Hicks was one of their best on-ball defenders, along with himself.  Although maybe he'll be bench 3 and D.

I suspect all these guys will play a lot.  And I guess Zarko is deep bench.  Be nice to have some depth.
Report Spam   Logged
NYRam07
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: October 17, 2017, 02:56:37 pm »

I think we were all pretty excited about Tavares early last season... then he sprained his ankle, or something, at MSG and everything fell apart. Add the "Tavares hype machine" poster and his declined play into the mix and people (rightfully so) soured on him.

He'll have a lot to prove this season, but I think the talent and ability is there. Sometimes maturity takes longer for certain athletes and young men.

And Rich has been making a good point recently - you need to develop players in this league. Maybe we'll all be happily surprised this season.
Report Spam   Logged
drunkle
Sophomore

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: October 17, 2017, 03:31:47 pm »

I think we were all pretty excited about Tavares early last season... then he sprained his ankle, or something, at MSG and everything fell apart. Add the "Tavares hype machine" poster and his declined play into the mix and people (rightfully so) soured on him.

He'll have a lot to prove this season, but I think the talent and ability is there. Sometimes maturity takes longer for certain athletes and young men.

And Rich has been making a good point recently - you need to develop players in this league. Maybe we'll all be happily surprised this season.

He started off fairly well, hitting 11-19 from 3 before the Rutgers game (where he got injured).  He couldn't convert inside, but his True Shooting % was 53.7% up to that game, which isn't bad.  Averaging about 8 ppg and 1.5 steals per game in about 20 minutes per. He was much worse in conference, and yeah, I remember his booster who came on here.  Hopefully he's matured, and it sounds like all the right people think so.   

BTW, here's the projection for this season from a kinda kenpom lite.  Doesn't have anything on Evans, Hicks or Raut.  Projection 12-18, 6-12.  I'll go 18-12, 10-8.

http://www.barttorvik.com/team.php?team=Fordham&year=2018

Report Spam   Logged
rambacker
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: October 17, 2017, 03:58:26 pm »

Chartouny
Evans
Tavares
Ohams
Slanina

Bench

Havsa
Hicks
Bunting
Pekarek
Raut

Wouldn't be surprised to see Havsa start. If not, he will get lots of playing time.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: