fordhamfans.com
November 23, 2017, 03:38:42 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Gallery Login Register  

Starting Line Up '17-18'

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Starting Line Up '17-18'  (Read 6077 times)
Rich93
Class of 93
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: October 17, 2017, 04:11:19 pm »

Wouldn't be surprised to see Havsa start. If not, he will get lots of playing time.

Chartouny mentioned Havsa playing the point in the Petty podcast. Interesting we have some options in the back court this year. 
Report Spam   Logged

WINNING MATTERS
LXRF
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: October 17, 2017, 07:35:43 pm »

Chartouny mentioned Havsa playing the point in the Petty podcast. Interesting we have some options in the back court this year. 

Options and Fordham basketball 2 words that for many years we haven't seen in the same sentence describing the team's opportunities.
Report Spam   Logged
rambacker
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: October 17, 2017, 08:05:28 pm »

Options and Fordham basketball 2 words that for many years we haven't seen in the same sentence describing the team's opportunities.

+1. We will surprise this season.
Report Spam   Logged
PA Ram
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: October 17, 2017, 08:56:40 pm »

Havsa played so well last year.  Is Tre Evans THAT good that he gets slotted into the starting lineup as soon as he suits up?  Exciting stuff, if so, given how Havsa played last year. 

Looks from his bio like Raut can rain 3's.  Neubauer seems to love European bigs who can shoot 3's.  I know Ohams was a great rebounder last year despite his weight.  Are he and Bunting the only guys we have to mix it up in the paint?  Slanina looked to me like he was more comfortable as an outside shooter last year.  Maybe Tavares?

Getting pumped for the season.  Just put in for my season tickets today.  Going on a nice hoops run can hopefully dull the pain of this abysmal football season. 
Report Spam   Logged
Rich93
Class of 93
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: October 17, 2017, 09:00:38 pm »

Slanina on offense is more perimeter but he will mix it up in the paint on defense.  He will block some shots too.  If he stays healthy and out of foul trouble he will be a handful. 
« Last Edit: October 18, 2017, 10:41:39 am by Rich93 » Report Spam   Logged

WINNING MATTERS
KPW
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: October 18, 2017, 02:29:10 pm »

Being a classic post defender isn't a required skillset in our defensive scheme.
Playing the passing lanes and fronting as a second line behind the guard pressure is the expectation, with (hopefully) a rim protecting shot blocker from the weak side.
That is why when we get beat baseline or down low it typically is for a layup or a dunk.
Report Spam   Logged
PeterMartin08
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: October 18, 2017, 02:36:15 pm »

Love the pre-season talk, but just a reminder that we can strategize and project until we're purple, but the reason a game is often won/lost is very basic: hit your free throws, don't turn the ball over, and rebound. The complexities of defenses can be a distraction. This is mid-tier D1 college basketball, out-effort the guy across from you, be fundamentally sound, and have your desire to win exceed your talent. Playing time will be at a premium with a deeper bench, competition is good. Play on fire and the results will be evident.
Report Spam   Logged

Any other team wins the World Series, good for them. They're drinking champagne, they get a ring. But if we win, on our budget, with this team... we'll have changed the game. And that's what I want. I want it to mean something. - Moneyball
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: October 18, 2017, 03:52:27 pm »

Hit the three.
Report Spam   Logged
ace93
Arbitrary and Capricious Administrator
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: October 18, 2017, 03:53:33 pm »

Love the pre-season talk, but just a reminder that we can strategize and project until we're purple, but the reason a game is often won/lost is very basic: hit your free throws, don't turn the ball over, and rebound. The complexities of defenses can be a distraction. This is mid-tier D1 college basketball, out-effort the guy across from you, be fundamentally sound, and have your desire to win exceed your talent. Playing time will be at a premium with a deeper bench, competition is good. Play on fire and the results will be evident.

We won't rebound well, so how do we make up for it?
Report Spam   Logged

Nothing replaces success in the revenue sports.  Nothing.  That's not to take away from the success in the Olympic sports - they do matter.  It isn't a replacement for success in the flagship sports. - Debbie Yow, AD - NC State
Rich93
Class of 93
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: October 18, 2017, 04:14:02 pm »

Stealing the ball.  Our defense does not lend itself to peter’s analysis.  We will give up a high shooting percentage because we are willing to give up easy baskets to try to get steals. We need to rebound just well enough. More importantly we need to turn those extra possessions into points. Our transition offense must improve off live turnovers and we need to shoot it better. 
Report Spam   Logged

WINNING MATTERS
PeterMartin08
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: October 18, 2017, 04:26:44 pm »

Are we saying definitively that this team can't be a league-average caliber rebounding team? I'm not so sure. The majority of guards (particularly the ones projected to be on the floor) all grade as average to above average in that area.

If Bunting is playing 20+ minutes, I have a hard time believing he'll be under 5 rpg.

As most have agreed, Chuba is the wild card / key to the season. His "potential" production is unique.
Report Spam   Logged

Any other team wins the World Series, good for them. They're drinking champagne, they get a ring. But if we win, on our budget, with this team... we'll have changed the game. And that's what I want. I want it to mean something. - Moneyball
drunkle
Sophomore

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: October 18, 2017, 04:32:01 pm »

Force turnovers.

Fordham was actually 40th in the nation (right behind Butler) in extra scoring chances per game.

Not bad but could have been higher.  Fordham was 3rd in opponent turnover per possession (2nd in opponent turnover per offensive play).  Fordham was also 3rd in opponent effective possession ratio.  Directly correlated to the forced turnovers.  

But Fordham was 319th in its own effective possession ratio.  And 264th in turnovers per possession.  Awful.  Committing turnovers on top of not being a great offensive rebounding team (322nd there) is what kills your effective possession ratio and extra scoring chances.  We can survive without the rebounding, although you'd like to be better than putrid, but can't combine that with the turnovers.

Hence Neubauer being concerned with taking care of the basketball, and tied into Peter's "be fundamentally sound."

Last year Fordham had 3 more extra scoring chances per game than its opponents.  West Virginia was 1st at 11.6.  Forced turnovers AND rebounding. UNC 2nd at 7.5.   Offensive rebounding.  You can be pretty good at that without great offensive rebounding.  Virginia was 18th with 4.1 extra scoring chances per game but was only 215th in offensive rebounding percentage.    

Fordham can win even without being a very good rebounding team (although Ohams and Bunting are pretty good at it).  I think the effort will be there.  There will again wreak havoc on D.  Sure, rebound somewhat better. A lot of that is effort. Cherish your possessions.  And for goodness sake I think this year finally nail enough 3s to make it all work.
Report Spam   Logged
drunkle
Sophomore

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: October 18, 2017, 04:32:59 pm »

Stealing the ball.  Our defense does not lend itself to peter’s analysis.  We will give up a high shooting percentage because we are willing to give up easy baskets to try to get steals. We need to rebound just well enough. More importantly we need to turn those extra possessions into points. Our transition offense must improve off live turnovers and we need to shoot it better. 

Yes.  I need an editor.
Report Spam   Logged
Rich93
Class of 93
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: October 18, 2017, 04:47:20 pm »

Yes.  I need an editor.

You did add that we needed to limit our turnovers.  Afro
Report Spam   Logged

WINNING MATTERS
drunkle
Sophomore

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: October 18, 2017, 04:49:29 pm »

Are we saying definitively that this team can't be a league-average caliber rebounding team? I'm not so sure. The majority of guards (particularly the ones projected to be on the floor) all grade as average to above average in that area.

If Bunting is playing 20+ minutes, I have a hard time believing he'll be under 5 rpg.

As most have agreed, Chuba is the wild card / key to the season. His "potential" production is unique.

In the 2nd half of the year we rebounded much better in most games.  Starting with the Davidson win until the George Washington game we were pretty much even with opponents (with 1 huge exception).  Beat Davidson on the boards in that win by 10.  Edged VCU. Tied UMass.  Edged in the win at St. Joe's by 1.  Beat Rhodey and Saint Louis.

But George Mason killed us.  By 19 in the regular season loss.  And 51-19 in the conference tournament.  OoF. La salle also beat us by 13 in the last game, and GW by 7.

Later in the year, the D was adjusted enough to slow down the back door layups and dunks a tad, and also we were usually right there on the boards.  And the way Fordham plays it doesn't necessarily always have to win the battle of the boards.  But you can't be getting double digited in rebound margin, much less doubled up.  And to think that Tournament game with Richmond went to OT.  We DID take care of the ball that game.  5 TOs to 14.  7 steals to 2.
Report Spam   Logged
greenwood
Sophomore

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: October 18, 2017, 07:28:35 pm »

I'm more concerned about our defensive than offensive rebounding ability.  Ohams will be ++ on the off glass.  Also, yes we must hit free throws but first our FT rate needs to significantly improve, especially since the only guy whose rate was good is gone (Hawkins).  I think we will be better here, how much better is an open question.
Report Spam   Logged
PeterMartin08
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: October 18, 2017, 11:29:27 pm »

I'm more concerned about our defensive than offensive rebounding ability.  Ohams will be ++ on the off glass.  Also, yes we must hit free throws but first our FT rate needs to significantly improve, especially since the only guy whose rate was good is gone (Hawkins).  I think we will be better here, how much better is an open question.

I think that's right.

Hawkins was nearly automatic for stretches as a volume FT shooter. If early indications are 1/2 true, Tavares could slide into a leaner role as Jevontae Tavares (potential to get to the line is there) - is he an 80% guy? Probably not. 70%? Yeah, I'd hope so. (both CS/AA were average in the 70-range)

Evans is probably an 80 guy. Unclear how frequently he'll get to the line, but I'd think it's comparable to Chartouny.

Chuba will need to convert, particularly as an offensive rebounder. He could be a ++ OR, but shooting 32% from the line will kill a lot of plans. Can he hit 50-55%? he'll need to. Confidence is huge, can't be taken out of a game (literally or figuratively) because the opponent is forcing him to the stripe.
Report Spam   Logged

Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: October 19, 2017, 06:25:15 am »

Have to figure out a way to stay out of foul trouble, particularly Slanina and Ohams. A-10 calls those ticky tac fouls on the bigs when they come to help out up top. I know its part and parcel to coach Crawford's defense, and it works, but it does lead to a lot of un-necessary foul calls.

Ohams, Slanina, Bunting is a pretty decent , physical front court. Taveras has to help more on the glass this year. Heard Raut looks pretty good, not sure if he can rebound. Anyone?
« Last Edit: October 19, 2017, 06:42:34 am by 85 » Report Spam   Logged
ace93
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: October 19, 2017, 07:48:17 am »

Have to figure out a way to stay out of foul trouble, particularly Slanina and Ohams. A-10 calls those ticky tac fouls on the bigs when they come to help out up top. I know its part and parcel to coach Crawford's defense, and it works, but it does lead to a lot of un-necessary foul calls.

Ohams, Slanina, Bunting is a pretty decent , physical front court. Taveras has to help more on the glass this year. Heard Raut looks pretty good, not sure if he can rebound. Anyone?

The traditional 3-5 will be filled by a combo of Ohams (3/4/5), Slanina (4/5), Bunting (5), Pekárek (3/4), Tavares (3), Raut (3/4). The numbers in parens are my guesses more than anything. We don't have any centers listed on the roster, so clearly we don't go traditional.
Report Spam   Logged

Nothing replaces success in the revenue sports.  Nothing.  That's not to take away from the success in the Olympic sports - they do matter.  It isn't a replacement for success in the flagship sports. - Debbie Yow, AD - NC State
VTRAM
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: October 19, 2017, 09:00:58 am »

The traditional 3-5 will be filled by a combo of Ohams (3/4/5), Slanina (4/5), Bunting (5), Pekárek (3/4), Tavares (3), Raut (3/4). The numbers in parens are my guesses more than anything. We don't have any centers listed on the roster, so clearly we don't go traditional.

I would seriously consider adding JC to the 3 mix. I think Havsa, Tavares, JC, Ohams, and Slanina might be our starting 5.
Report Spam   Logged
Rich93
Class of 93
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: October 19, 2017, 09:03:48 am »

It is interesting g most teams do not list a center they are all called forwards. Rhoomes was listed as a forward last year. 
Report Spam   Logged

WINNING MATTERS
ace93
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: October 19, 2017, 09:56:31 am »

I would seriously consider adding JC to the 3 mix. I think Havsa, Tavares, JC, Ohams, and Slanina might be our starting 5.

If JC is playing the 3, it no longer is traditional. I meant to say "would be filled" rather than "will be filled", meaning that we don't play a traditional 1-5.  In your starting 5 I would say JC is the 2 and Tavares the 3, though, but in reality they are both 2's. My main point however, was that Ohams, Slanina and Bunting are not likely to be on the floor at the same time, though I was not sure if that was what 85 was suggesting or not.
Report Spam   Logged

VTRAM
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: October 19, 2017, 11:24:32 am »

If JC is playing the 3, it no longer is traditional. I meant to say "would be filled" rather than "will be filled", meaning that we don't play a traditional 1-5.  In your starting 5 I would say JC is the 2 and Tavares the 3, though, but in reality they are both 2's. My main point however, was that Ohams, Slanina and Bunting are not likely to be on the floor at the same time, though I was not sure if that was what 85 was suggesting or not.

Got it. Makes complete sense.

Completely agree that we will only see 2 or in some cases only 1 of those players on the floor at a time. It is entirely possible that 5 of our top 7 players are traditional 1's or 2's (Havsa, Taveres, Hicks, Evans, JC). If that is the case then you will want those players on the court as much as possible. I think a lot of this comes down to what we get from PEkarek and Raut and how much they play in the traditional 3 spot.
Report Spam   Logged
drunkle
Sophomore

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: October 19, 2017, 11:32:55 am »

Yeah, we could stand to up the FT rate, but so much of Fordham's game was shooting 3s (23rd in the country in 3 point attempt rate) that it cuts into the FT rate.  One thing that would help is have more late leads, and also better transition will force fouls.
Report Spam   Logged
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: October 19, 2017, 11:33:54 am »

I was  just lumping their 15 fouls together because we will likely use all 15 fouls nearly every game.  Slanina gets in foul trouble so early every game that Bunting will probably be in within the first 3-4 minutes. Its a real conundrum because Crawford's defense is so effective, you dont want to change it up too much..Taveras is going to have to step it up and help on the glass....but when you start putting these combos together, the team doesnt look half bad......
Report Spam   Logged
ace93
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: October 19, 2017, 11:36:42 am »

I was  just lumping their 15 fouls together because we will likely use all 15 fouls nearly every game.  Slanina gets in foul trouble so early every game that Bunting will probably be in within the first 3-4 minutes. Its a real conundrum because Crawford's defense is so effective, you dont want to change it up too much..

Got ya. Just was not sure what you meant when you said "frontcourt". Traditional 3/4/5 or just the 4/5.
Report Spam   Logged

Senior

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: October 19, 2017, 01:13:46 pm »

Hit the three.

Just to amplify this that I posted yesterday: no matter who they are, no matter where they play, we have to be better shooting the 3.

We were second to Davidson in 3's attempted last year, but at the bottom of the league in 3 Pt percentage made.  AS has been pointed out, the offense is predicated on shooting the 3.

Defensive intensity, ratchet it up. Better rebounding, yes please.  Very good FT shooting, always. But if we don't make 3's, everything else falls apart.
Report Spam   Logged
drunkle
Sophomore

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: October 19, 2017, 03:59:21 pm »

Just to amplify this that I posted yesterday: no matter who they are, no matter where they play, we have to be better shooting the 3.

We were second to Davidson in 3's attempted last year, but at the bottom of the league in 3 Pt percentage made.  AS has been pointed out, the offense is predicated on shooting the 3.

Defensive intensity, ratchet it up. Better rebounding, yes please.  Very good FT shooting, always. But if we don't make 3's, everything else falls apart.

We were slightly better shooting it in conference, and a tiny bit better defending it.  We shot .324 OOC, .342 in conference.  Sengfelder really went into a slump in conference, hitting .304, and he was our biggest volume 3 point shooter.  He was much better hitting 3s the prior year.  And OOC this past year he hit .368.
 He went the other way, since other guys (aside from Taveras) improved in conference. Hawkins nailed at .404 in conference, Anderson .378 and Chartouny .390 in conference.

In any event we were 8th in conference in 3 point % at .342, and 8th defending it at .355.  Mid-pack, at least once the miserable OOC ended.  VCU (.310) and Rhodey (.326) shot worse in conference from 3 than Fordham.  Not really their game.  But they defended it really well.

But it's true our system relies on the 3.  Gotta be consistent and last year we didn't get everyone hitting at once.  Hopefully JC continues his improvement in that area, and Evans and Hicks add to the firepower, and Will is more like OOC Will from 3.  And some of the other guys step up, Raut, Pekarek, Havsa, Slanina, although none has been a consistent volume threat yet from deep.  Aside from a couple of decent games from Pekarek 2 years ago, and Havsa's GW fireworks.  They look to have decent form.

Not sure about Chuba.  He likely should concentrate down low.
Report Spam   Logged
PeterMartin08
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: October 19, 2017, 08:04:59 pm »

Not sure about Chuba.  He likely should concentrate down low.

So say the least. Every time a shot goes up, there should be a mental recognition of whether or not this is a 60-70-80% make. If not, the ball has to continue to move.

Tavares took a lot of 20%-type shots last year. Look forward to seeing the new Tavares.

Not to single out Chuba offensively, but an open shot from 15 ft, let alone 18-20 is still not a high percentage shot within the offense. He's making that 25-30% of the time if he's uncontested. This isn't the NBA, you can't waste a single possession. Every offensive set has to finish with a good look. As I alluded to in a prior post, I'm more concerned with him getting hacked under the glass and continually struggling from the line. That's a bad equation for us. Hope his FT is better, confidence has to get up and stay up.

Report Spam   Logged

Rich93
Class of 93
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: October 19, 2017, 08:45:35 pm »

Here is a potential starting lineup and then guys I can see us moving to that spot during a game.

Point Guard
Chartouny/Havsa/Hicks

Guard
Evans/Havsa/Hicks/chartouny/Zarko

Wing
Tavares/Hicks/ Chartouny/pekarek/Raut

Forwards
Ohams/Bunting/Pekarek/Raut (going small then put in a wing/guard)
Slanina/Bunting/Ohams

Looking at this it is important that Bunting and Pekarek be solid bench players.  Raut is an unproven player who is going to need time to adjust to the speed and athleticism of the college game so I don’t see him being a factor until the second half of the year. If Pekarek and Bunting are not solid rotation guys then we are forced to play small and while choosing to do that as a change of pace is fine being forced into it for long stretches is not a good situation in my opinion. We have more options in the back court this year than I can remeber in a long time.  We can use another wing player.
Report Spam   Logged

WINNING MATTERS

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: