fordhamfans.com
October 21, 2017, 11:38:59 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Gallery Login Register  

Starting Line Up '17-18'

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Starting Line Up '17-18'  (Read 5602 times)
LXRF
Senior

View Profile
« on: June 05, 2017, 09:51:32 am »

A couple of new players may possibly be coming in, but taking a guess right now, it looks like the Rams starting line up could be: Chartouny, Evans, Havsa, Pekarek and Slannia.
Report Spam   Logged

Social Buttons

RamFan78
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2017, 10:26:08 am »

A couple of new players may possibly be coming in, but taking a guess right now, it looks like the Rams starting line up could be: Chartouny, Evans, Havsa, Pekarek and Slannia.

So Pekarek starts ahead of Ohams? Don't like that at all. Shows how much we need help in the front court.
Report Spam   Logged
vinnys
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2017, 10:57:51 am »

I think Hicks will start
Report Spam   Logged
drunkle
Sophomore

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2017, 11:23:40 am »

So Pekarek starts ahead of Ohams? Don't like that at all. Shows how much we need help in the front court.

Pekarek only started 1 game last year.  Tavares was starting some even before Pekarek went down for the year. The team did have a good run with Pekarek starting the year before.

Ohams also started 9 games.  But his starts were usually when Slanina didn't start, even before Slanina went down.  For example Ohams started against VCU and UMass.  Slanina came off the bench in those games.

I'd like to see Ohams start with Slanina, but given foul proclivities and interior depth it seems they don't start together.

What matters most is minutes played.  We likely will see a lot of 3 guard line-ups so Hicks, Evans, Chartouny and Havsa will all get a lot of run.
Report Spam   Logged
drunkle
Sophomore

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2017, 11:59:35 am »

Pekarek only started 1 game last year.  Tavares was starting some even before Pekarek went down for the year. The team did have a good run with Pekarek starting the year before.

Ohams also started 9 games.  But his starts were usually when Slanina didn't start, even before Slanina went down.  For example Ohams started against VCU and UMass.  Slanina came off the bench in those games.

I'd like to see Ohams start with Slanina, but given foul proclivities and interior depth it seems they don't start together.

What matters most is minutes played.  We likely will see a lot of 3 guard line-ups so Hicks, Evans, Chartouny and Havsa will all get a lot of run.

Speaking of Tavares, he had a disappointing year.  He played minutes but had a limited role in the offense and he shot awfully as the season wore on.  He had decent games in the win at St. Joe's and the win against Duquesne.

What I had forgotten was when he hurt his knee against Rutgers.  He was much worse after that game.  Of course the schedule was weaker.  But prior to that game he averaged 7.9 ppg in 21.2 mpg.  Over 40 minutes that's 14.9, which would have been 2nd on the team (tied with Sengfelder) over the full season.  And 2.75  steals per 40 (2nd on team if over a full year).  On 59.2 eFG%, which would have led the team.  Small sample, of course, but he was 11-19 from 3.  Thereafter he went 8-38 from 3. Brutal. 

I don't think it was just that, but he may have been playing hurt as well.  Anyway, I recall him mostly being bad but he didn't start off that badly.  He started in a variety of line-ups.  Optimally he doesn't start next year absent significant improvement.    If he's back.  Haven't heard much about him this off-season.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2017, 01:20:27 pm by drunkle » Report Spam   Logged
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2017, 12:29:34 pm »

I dont see that as the lineup.

Bunting, Evans, Slanina, Taveres, Chartouny.....

Bunting might start but I could see Ohams getting more minutes. Slanina and Ohams together foul too much. That can change with experience but the refs in A-10 seem to call an awful lot of brush and ticky tac fouls on the bigs.

Bunting is a big question mark. He had flashes of great play but they were very small amounts of time. Need to see if he is ready to be the PF......
Report Spam   Logged
Rich93
Class of 93
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2017, 01:05:25 pm »

Understanding we still have two ships to give here is an ideal lineup for me:

Chartouny
Evans/Havsa/Hicks
Ohams
Bunting
Slanina

Having Ohams at the three with his size and length would be great.  For this to happen we need his offense to improve and Bunting to become a solid defender and rebounder at the 4. 
« Last Edit: June 05, 2017, 01:59:38 pm by Rich93 » Report Spam   Logged

WINNING MATTERS
97Ram
Sophomore

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2017, 03:40:37 pm »

Chartouny
Evans/Havsa/Hicks
Ohams
Bunting
Slanina

Having Ohams at the three with his size and length would be great.  For this to happen we need his offense to improve and Bunting to become a solid defender and rebounder at the 4. 

I'd like to see Ohams at the 3 too.  But I don't see it happening with the roster the way it is.  First, that leaves us with almost no front court help on the bench.  Pekarek would be the only big on the bench, and he's not very big.  Second, I don't think Neubauer would play a lineup that only had 3 threats from the outside.  If we still had Sengfelder's shooting at the 4, I think it would be more likely that Ohams would have gotten time at the 3.  If we can find a guy who can replace Sengfelder with one of our scholarships, I think that will give us a lot more roster flexibility, including the ability to play Ohams at the 3 where he could be a mismatch on both ends of the floor. 
Report Spam   Logged
Richie68
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2017, 06:47:26 pm »

As the roster stands now I would go with

Chartouny
Evans
Hicks
Slanina
Ohams

But I'm also hopeful that Bunting will make a big jump this year in his progress and I haven't given up on Tavares who seems to have the physical skills to be good.  Havsa should also be able to jump into a guard spot without much downside.
Report Spam   Logged
Ram 83
Sophomore

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2017, 07:52:28 pm »

Chartouny
Evans/Havsa/Hicks
Ohams
Bunting
Slanina

Less a major leap in offensive production from Ohams, that line up would be horrible for spacing, especially with Havsa in the game.  My guess is that we will see 2 of those 3 bigs in the game at a time, but hopefully not all 3 very often.  Flipping Pekarek for one of them would work.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2017, 01:52:27 pm by Ram 83 » Report Spam   Logged
rambacker
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2017, 09:11:04 pm »

With two more players expected, it's difficult to project a lineup until we see the entire 2017-2018 roster. Will reserve predictions until then.
Report Spam   Logged
kidfromny
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2017, 11:49:26 pm »

Chartouny
Evans/Havsa/Hicks
Ohams
Bunting
Slanina

Size matters. I wouldn't mind seeing this out of the gate.
Report Spam   Logged
John
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2017, 11:55:07 pm »

With two more players expected, it's difficult to project a lineup until we see the entire 2017-2018 roster. Will reserve predictions until then.

If we get new cards, we'll reshuffle the deck, and everyone gets to play a new hand. But until then, I'd go with:

Slanina (need his size)
Bunting (gets the nod over Ohams because JN likes to play upperclassmen. He showed well at times last season. Doesn't mean he'll get the most minutes).  
Evans (quality seems to be there)
Hicks (again, with upperclassmen)
Chartouny (because you always start your best player).

Frontcourt:  Ohams will fight Bunting for minutes, might be a good 6th man/defensive stopper off the bench. Pekarek's the "X" factor -- will he be the guy who had that impressive A-10 stretch as a freshman, or the guy who couldn't get on track last year? If the former, we're a whole different team]. Anything Saglam adds is gravy.

Backcourt: Tavares can add size as a swing player, but needs to stop disappearing for long stretches in games, as was often the case last year. Havsa seems to have major upside, but will probably be a role player, unless we somehow go to 4-guard offense). Zarko another defensive stopper.

Big question: shooting.

I view this team as a bit of a coaching laboratory. Can JN mesh these guys, develop chemistry, get them all to buy into the defensive scheme? I suspect so. Do we have the shooting to take advantage of the opportunities the "D" gives us?  No idea. Looking to Hicks and Evans to lead the way on that score.
Report Spam   Logged
drunkle
Sophomore

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2017, 10:57:14 am »

Do we have the shooting to take advantage of the opportunities the "D" gives us?  No idea. Looking to Hicks and Evans to lead the way on that score.

Chartouny wasn't bad from 3 last year.  .382.  But as we saw with Sengfelder's slump last year 3 point shooting can fluctuate, but hoping JC's improvement is real.  And hopefully we get in conference 3 point shooting from Havsa (or at least the GW game heroics), and out of conference 3 point shooting from Tavares when he plays.  He started the year 11-19 from 3 until he got hurt against Rutgers.

Here is an early season tweet on Tavares from DalyDoseofHoops, which follows metro area college hoops:

"Fordham's Will Tavares reminds me a lot of a young Fuquan Edwin. Has same slashing mentality on offense and a defensive stud on the wing."

That was on December 8.  Needless to say we didn't see much of that later in the year.

Anyway, hoping we get good shooting from JC, Hicks and Evans.  The problem with 3 point shooting last year was inconsistency.  Hawkins and AA started off poorly but were really good in conference, as was JC. Sengfelder went into a huge slump in conference, Tavares was awful i conference, and everyone else didn't shoot that well from 3 (other than Havsa's little run), so it dragged down the shooting from AA, JC and JH.  Slanina was good from 2 and unless he improves should tone down the 3s.
Report Spam   Logged
NYRam07
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2017, 11:19:49 am »

Chartouny wasn't bad from 3 last year.  .382.  But as we saw with Sengfelder's slump last year 3 point shooting can fluctuate, but hoping JC's improvement is real.  And hopefully we get in conference 3 point shooting from Havsa (or at least the GW game heroics), and out of conference 3 point shooting from Tavares when he plays.  He started the year 11-19 from 3 until he got hurt against Rutgers.

Here is an early season tweet on Tavares from DalyDoseofHoops, which follows metro area college hoops:

"Fordham's Will Tavares reminds me a lot of a young Fuquan Edwin. Has same slashing mentality on offense and a defensive stud on the wing."

That was on December 8.  Needless to say we didn't see much of that later in the year.

Anyway, hoping we get good shooting from JC, Hicks and Evans.  The problem with 3 point shooting last year was inconsistency.  Hawkins and AA started off poorly but were really good in conference, as was JC. Sengfelder went into a huge slump in conference, Tavares was awful i conference, and everyone else didn't shoot that well from 3 (other than Havsa's little run), so it dragged down the shooting from AA, JC and JH.  Slanina was good from 2 and unless he improves should tone down the 3s.

Many people are down on Tavares... for good reason... but I really hope that he becomes a key piece to our team. He showed ability last year until he got hurt at Rutgers. Perhaps he had a lingering issues.... perhaps there was some maturity issues there between playing time and losing... either way, I hope he comes back healthy and with a better overall attitude. No-one is talking about him as part of our rotation and if he's a good player for us, we're fairly deep with the addition of Evans and Hicks.
Report Spam   Logged
VTRAM
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2017, 11:46:30 am »

I find it interesting that Havsa isn't getting more love in this thread. By the end of last year he was playing arguably as well as any of our guards. JN couldn't keep him off the floor and he should only be stronger and more comfortable. Look at his games working backwards from the end of the year:

Mason (A-10's) - 31 Min, 7 pts, 2 A, 4 stls,1 TO
@ Lasalle - 36 Min, 5 Pts, 6 A, 2 Stls, 1 TO
GW - 25 Min, 12 pts, 0 A, 1 TO

To me the most important thing here was that he only had 3 TO's in 3 games where he saw major mins. I think JC is better and more comfortable not being the primary ball handler so I think he and Havsa could work well together. Again I will wait and see what we get but for now I would say

Starters:
Havsa
JC
Pekarek
Ohams
Slanina

Bench
Hicks, Evans, Taveres, Bunting, Zarkovic, New Guy #1, New Guy #2

Obviously that lineups depends on Pekarek returning to form after last year. Would not at all be surprised to see another guard there instead.
Report Spam   Logged
alanccrx
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2017, 11:48:34 am »

we're fairly deep with the addition of Evans and Hicks.
Deep in front court?  No way! No how!  Unless Fordham signs at least one TALENTED Big.... it will be one l o n g  l o n g season!
Report Spam   Logged
NYRam07
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2017, 12:24:02 pm »

Deep in front court?  No way! No how!  Unless Fordham signs at least one TALENTED Big.... it will be one l o n g  l o n g season!

I was talking about the backcourt and throwing Tavares in as a 2/3 type.
Report Spam   Logged
alanccrx
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2017, 12:29:48 pm »

I was talking about the backcourt and throwing Tavares in as a 2/3 type.
ok... but MUST have size and/or bulk upfront...
Report Spam   Logged
ram64
Freshman

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2017, 01:04:34 pm »

At this late stage New Guy #1 and New Guy #2 will have minimal impact if any on the starting lineup unless one of them is a 5th year Grad Student.  What we currently have is what we have as far as starters go.
Report Spam   Logged
NYRam07
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2017, 01:11:57 pm »

At this late stage New Guy #1 and New Guy #2 will have minimal impact if any on the starting lineup unless one of them is a 5th year Grad Student.  What we currently have is what we have as far as starters go.

Slanina and Havsa were late additions last year, no?
Report Spam   Logged
Rich93
Class of 93
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2017, 01:14:13 pm »

and you know this how?
Report Spam   Logged

WINNING MATTERS
klb75119
Waterboy

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 06, 2017, 05:40:44 pm »

It's who finishes not who starts
Report Spam   Logged
drunkle
Sophomore

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 07, 2017, 12:17:40 pm »

Slanina and Havsa were late additions last year, no?

Slanina verbally committed on April 15 (mentioned in NY Post on 4/16/2017).

Havsa first mention I see is a Rambacker post announcing it in recruiting thread August 17, 2016 (Saglam a week or 2 later).     
Report Spam   Logged
drunkle
Sophomore

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 07, 2017, 12:28:10 pm »

I find it interesting that Havsa isn't getting more love in this thread. By the end of last year he was playing arguably as well as any of our guards. JN couldn't keep him off the floor and he should only be stronger and more comfortable. Look at his games working backwards from the end of the year:

Mason (A-10's) - 31 Min, 7 pts, 2 A, 4 stls,1 TO
@ Lasalle - 36 Min, 5 Pts, 6 A, 2 Stls, 1 TO
GW - 25 Min, 12 pts, 0 A, 1 TO

To me the most important thing here was that he only had 3 TO's in 3 games where he saw major mins. I think JC is better and more comfortable not being the primary ball handler so I think he and Havsa could work well together. Again I will wait and see what we get but for now I would say

Starters:
Havsa
JC
Pekarek
Ohams
Slanina

Bench
Hicks, Evans, Taveres, Bunting, Zarkovic, New Guy #1, New Guy #2

Obviously that lineups depends on Pekarek returning to form after last year. Would not at all be surprised to see another guard there instead.

Love Havsa.  He just has a flair about him, the fancy passes.  Superficially, I love that aspect. He played a lot late in the year, and yes, cutting down on turnovers is a big deal, as he was prone earlier.  I think Vinseiro mentions he's bothered by the high dribble.  Big drawback on the team has been turnovers.  Can't turn it over nearly 20% per game.  Doesn't work in any system, but given our shooting (hopefully that improves), pace and rebounding, the TO per possession spread is our bread and butter so have to hold onto the ball much better.  Havsa was able to play minutes without too many TOs late in the year.  And he can create for others, tall enough to see over most Ds out top.  Obviously nailing all those 3s late against GW showed some stones.

We will be able to rotate in a lot of guards.  Even with AA gone it's a strength.  Question on Havsa may be on-ball D (and hope his outside shot is for real), but he seemed to do fine last year in the trapping aspect.
Report Spam   Logged
Scott W 86
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 07, 2017, 01:03:20 pm »

Love Havsa.  He just has a flair about him, the fancy passes.  Superficially, I love that aspect. He played a lot late in the year, and yes, cutting down on turnovers is a big deal, as he was prone earlier.  I think Vinseiro mentions he's bothered by the high dribble.  Big drawback on the team has been turnovers.  Can't turn it over nearly 20% per game.  Doesn't work in any system, but given our shooting (hopefully that improves), pace and rebounding, the TO per possession spread is our bread and butter so have to hold onto the ball much better.  Havsa was able to play minutes without too many TOs late in the year.  And he can create for others, tall enough to see over most Ds out top.  Obviously nailing all those 3s late against GW showed some stones.

We will be able to rotate in a lot of guards.  Even with AA gone it's a strength.  Question on Havsa may be on-ball D (and hope his outside shot is for real), but he seemed to do fine last year in the trapping aspect.

I like Havsa too for many of the same reasons.  He even had a few flashes last season that reminded me of one of my all-time favorites... Pistol Pete Maravich.

However, I think he's a solid role player off the bench.  I can't see him keeping up with A10 play for 25-30 minutes a game.  I think it will expose some weaknesses in speed, defense, transition, ball protection, etc.  I hope I'm wrong.
Report Spam   Logged
drunkle
Sophomore

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 07, 2017, 01:33:00 pm »

I like Havsa too for many of the same reasons.  He even had a few flashes last season that reminded me of one of my all-time favorites... Pistol Pete Maravich.

However, I think he's a solid role player off the bench.  I can't see him keeping up with A10 play for 25-30 minutes a game.  I think it will expose some weaknesses in speed, defense, transition, ball protection, etc.  I hope I'm wrong.

He played 28 and 20 minutes in the Duquesne and Saint Louis wins.  He played 25 and 31 in the narrow losses to GW and George Mason, and he certainly didn't cost us the GW game.  Almost won it for us several times.  VTRAM points to his last 3 games.  In March he averaged 30 minutes + per game in 3 games, 8 points, 2 steals, 2.7 assists, 1 turnover a game on 50% shooting, from the field and from 3, for a 68.7% eFG%.  Sounds like a guy who could be more than an A-10 role player.  Only 3 games but the biggest of his life (well, I don't know how big he feels the euro U18's are). Whatever his faults, the team played excellent D in the Rhodey-Saint Louis-Duquense win streak and he averaged about 20 minutes a game then, so we were able to overcome whatever his shortcomings are.  I'm focused on what he can do.

Report Spam   Logged
rambacker
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 26, 2017, 01:37:07 pm »

Chuba and Ege in a recent late-night workout:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rk6eHMM2RL4&feature=youtu.be
Report Spam   Logged
alanccrx
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 26, 2017, 04:36:35 pm »

Chuba looks as if he could use a real good meal (or two)...Fordham needs bulk and size to really compete in A-10. 
Report Spam   Logged
rambacker
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 26, 2017, 05:16:26 pm »

Chuba looks as if he could use a real good meal (or two)...Fordham needs bulk and size to really compete in A-10. 

Chuba has deceptive, wiry strength. Looking for him to break out this season.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: