fordhamfans.com
November 23, 2017, 03:39:00 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Gallery Login Register  

Starting Line Up '17-18'

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Starting Line Up '17-18'  (Read 6077 times)
drunkle
Sophomore

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: October 20, 2017, 10:43:37 am »

SI's A-10 season projections are up.  These are usually pretty good, if prone to the same problems all projections have.  How are they supposed to know what guys are "in the best shape of their lives" mentally and physically a la Will Tavares (we'll see when the rubber hits the road).

https://www.si.com/college-basketball/2017/10/19/atlantic-10-projections-preview-team-rankings-standings

For Fordham? 6-12 and 13th.  The only specific shout-outs are (i) to Slanina being tall, a "true center" and hence his defense is mentioned, I suppose with the idea he's a rim protector, although Chartouny and Chuba had better D ratings last year, and (ii) that Evans can really shoot it and was an Oklahoma State commit at one time. They do give a projected top 7 players with ppg, minutes and projected o rating, but no specific mention of Chartouny in the write-up.  That's odd, since EVERY other team's leading scorer is mentioned in their write-up, and on top of that Chartouny led the league in steals. 

No matter, really.  They have Zarko in the top 7, 4 ppg, 52% of minutes, when, depending on Raut he is likely 10 or 11.  I guess that's based on history of minutes played when healthy. They also give Zarko the highest O rating, which seems to be solely based on the fact in limited time last year he had a 4.33-1 assist ratio (well, at least he doesn't turn it over much but he doesn't get all that many touches). Not to rag on Zarko.  I like him, and maybe I'm selling his time short. No mention of Hicks or Bunting.

Ah well, a computer projection won't know everything someone watching the program might know.  We aren't all even sure about some of the line-up.  It's a hoary cliche for a reason: That's why they play the games.  And SI did peg us for 7-11 last year in conference.

I'm keeping my rose-colored glasses.  Over .500 in the league.  The A-10 projection talks about how many top scorers are in the league.  Well, we'll zig when they zag and win with D, with the scoring spread around.
Report Spam   Logged
Rich93
Class of 93
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: October 20, 2017, 11:06:18 am »

9-13 all predicted to be within a game of each other.  Interesting year coming up.
Report Spam   Logged

WINNING MATTERS
vinnys
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: October 20, 2017, 02:04:07 pm »

SI's A-10 season projections are up.  These are usually pretty good, if prone to the same problems all projections have.  How are they supposed to know what guys are "in the best shape of their lives" mentally and physically a la Will Tavares (we'll see when the rubber hits the road).

https://www.si.com/college-basketball/2017/10/19/atlantic-10-projections-preview-team-rankings-standings

For Fordham? 6-12 and 13th.  The only specific shout-outs are (i) to Slanina being tall, a "true center" and hence his defense is mentioned, I suppose with the idea he's a rim protector, although Chartouny and Chuba had better D ratings last year, and (ii) that Evans can really shoot it and was an Oklahoma State commit at one time. They do give a projected top 7 players with ppg, minutes and projected o rating, but no specific mention of Chartouny in the write-up.  That's odd, since EVERY other team's leading scorer is mentioned in their write-up, and on top of that Chartouny led the league in steals. 

No matter, really.  They have Zarko in the top 7, 4 ppg, 52% of minutes, when, depending on Raut he is likely 10 or 11.  I guess that's based on history of minutes played when healthy. They also give Zarko the highest O rating, which seems to be solely based on the fact in limited time last year he had a 4.33-1 assist ratio (well, at least he doesn't turn it over much but he doesn't get all that many touches). Not to rag on Zarko.  I like him, and maybe I'm selling his time short. No mention of Hicks or Bunting.

Ah well, a computer projection won't know everything someone watching the program might know.  We aren't all even sure about some of the line-up.  It's a hoary cliche for a reason: That's why they play the games.  And SI did peg us for 7-11 last year in conference.

I'm keeping my rose-colored glasses.  Over .500 in the league.  The A-10 projection talks about how many top scorers are in the league.  Well, we'll zig when they zag and win with D, with the scoring spread around.

would have expected to see Hicks on their chart
Report Spam   Logged
Rich93
Class of 93
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: October 20, 2017, 02:07:25 pm »

would have expected to see Hicks on their chart

These previews do not do any real research on the projected bottom of the league.  No one else knows who Hicks is. 
Report Spam   Logged

WINNING MATTERS
John
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: October 21, 2017, 11:27:16 am »

We've got a bit of a mystery team this year. "Chartouny and the question marks", one might say. Really no one else who had a sold full-year performance last season. But a lot of guys who showed flashes of brilliance. Given Neubauer's evident ability to coach, I'd say there's reason for cautious optimism.

One note: Coach likes to play seniors. I don't think Zarko will play the minutes SI predicts, but I bet he plays more minutes than you think.

Report Spam   Logged
85RAM
Freshman

View Profile
« Reply #125 on: October 21, 2017, 03:20:28 pm »

Saw a few A-10 predictions on web and in some magazines.  Fordham ranked no higher than 12.  URI, VCU and Bona appear to be the class of the league.   Anybody think we will finish higher than 12?  Anybody see us coming in last?
Report Spam   Logged
drunkle
Sophomore

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: October 22, 2017, 03:36:30 am »

We've got a bit of a mystery team this year. "Chartouny and the question marks", one might say. Really no one else who had a sold full-year performance last season. But a lot of guys who showed flashes of brilliance. Given Neubauer's evident ability to coach, I'd say there's reason for cautious optimism.

One note: Coach likes to play seniors. I don't think Zarko will play the minutes SI predicts, but I bet he plays more minutes than you think.

You're probably right on Zarko.  He was averaging 20 mpg before he went down, with Havsa barely getting any run. Although I think Havsa showed he belonged when he got the chance later.  With a healthy Hicks and Evans, it'll be interesting to see how Neubauer divvies up the time.  Looking at coach's career he tended to, absent injury, have 9 guys averaging 10 mpg or more, with a couple pushing 35.  Other than JC not sure he does that this year, and I wouldn't mind going a tad easy on JC, too. 
Report Spam   Logged
greenwood
Sophomore

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: October 23, 2017, 03:02:46 pm »

We are 190 in Pomeroy's preseason ranking, after finishing last year 202.  Here are his rankings of our OOC opponents:

W Virginia 7
Florida St 55
Harvard 110
E Tennessee 114
Rutgers 125
Tulane 189

Manhattan 202
LIU Brooklyn 291
Miami OH 294
St Francis NY 331
Maine 332
Florida A&M 333
Report Spam   Logged
Chaka001
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #128 on: October 23, 2017, 03:26:13 pm »

that is a fair balance of 6 above us and 6 below.

A lot of questions marks this year as to how this team plays.  I have faith in JN but it seems like it could be a box of chocolates.
Report Spam   Logged
VTRAM
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: October 23, 2017, 03:27:22 pm »

We are 190 in Pomeroy's preseason ranking, after finishing last year 202.  Here are his rankings of our OOC opponents:

W Virginia 7
Florida St 55
Harvard 110
E Tennessee 114
Rutgers 125
Tulane 189

Manhattan 202
LIU Brooklyn 291
Miami OH 294
St Francis NY 331
Maine 332
Florida A&M 333

I love the fact that we have 6 teams above us and 6 below. Of the 6 above we have 2 on neutral courts and 2 at home. Love our chances of grabbing 2 of those games and getting to 8 OOC wins.
Report Spam   Logged
PeterMartin08
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: October 23, 2017, 03:43:39 pm »

I love the fact that we have 6 teams above us and 6 below. Of the 6 above we have 2 on neutral courts and 2 at home. Love our chances of grabbing 2 of those games and getting to 8 OOC wins.

I'd prefer for St. Francis to be Siena, LIU to be Lehigh, and E Tennessee to be Towson, but I like the "split" as well.

Respectfully, can't claim six, let alone eight W's so blindly there. I do like the pace of the OOC schedule though, it sets up very nicely...two very reasonable opponents at home, quick 3-day turn around...following the trip, five more home games at RHG with very nice spacing between (apx 3 days) ...very favorable, indeed.
Report Spam   Logged

Any other team wins the World Series, good for them. They're drinking champagne, they get a ring. But if we win, on our budget, with this team... we'll have changed the game. And that's what I want. I want it to mean something. - Moneyball

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: