fordhamfans.com
September 20, 2017, 07:38:52 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Gallery Login Register  

Softball add's 2 more recruits- A freshman and a transfer

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Softball add's 2 more recruits- A freshman and a transfer  (Read 329 times)
fordham81
Senior

View Profile
« on: June 07, 2017, 02:10:21 pm »

Looking good for the Ram's- appears to be some good additions here.

http://www.fordhamsports.com/news/2017/6/6/softball-adds-two-for-2018-season.aspx
Report Spam   Logged

Social Buttons

txram
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2017, 03:09:56 pm »

I would say these are good but not "great" additions.  We definitely needed depth at catching and Roark will likely be a starter as we only had Michael left on the roster.  She may have caught in only 2-3 regular season games at the most in her 2 years on the team and had no hits in 5 ABs.  Bridget's done well with transfers though and is high on Roark. 

One of the freshmen coming in, Rauch, can currently pitch 68 mph, which may be one of the hardest throwers we've ever had.  She may be able to add to that speed with a good pitching coach, one like Laura Winter, unfortunately who we let go a year ago to give a job to our former catcher, Gabby Luety.  Obviously, movement and changes of speed are needed as well as we saw in the WCWS.  When they lost their movement, their upper 60, low 70 mph pitches got hit out of the park.

I haven't seen the 2017 rankings, but in 2016, Rauch's Conklin Raiders travel team was #79 in the country and 4th in the NE.  Here's the link.  Notice how few NE teams are in the top 100.  http://www.usclubrankings.com/fastpitch/rankings/70-28-2

The big question marks will be who can take over SS and CF.  I'm guessing Hughes may move to SS from 2b and Storm or an incoming freshman (Rauch when not pitching) play 2b.  Canessa was a converted infielder playing CF and eventually solidified the OF but not immediately.  One of the incoming freshmen (maybe Pinto) who show they can hit would be my guess to take over that CF position.  Skrepenak has the arm but is a little shaky sometimes defensively.  She's better in RF (along with Aughinbaugh, a better hitter, when she doesn't pitch), leaving Figueroa, with less of an arm, in LF.

Johnston and Shaw are probably solidified at 3b and 1b, maybe with Johnston being DH and a good freshman hitter playing one of the 2 positions, with Shaw moving to 3b if necessary.

The other big overall void to fill will be the loss of Van Hoven's (.356), Mayer's (.344) and Canessa's (.346) bats.  They also had a total of 16 HRs, 112 RBIs and 33 SBs, with an average .430 OBP.  Rarely does a freshman put up those kinds of numbers.

Here's the link again as to the original 5 incoming freshmen:  http://www.fordhamsports.com/news/2016/11/21/softball-announces-five-early-nli-signees.aspx?path=softball

With 6 pitchers on the roster, assuming Quense doesn't come back, I don't see current freshman, Rundlett, a former Maine POY, who had a 8.40 ERA this year in 3 IP getting any time in the circle.  She should transfer.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2017, 10:23:05 pm by txram » Report Spam   Logged
FU85
Sophomore

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2017, 01:21:49 pm »

Fordham recruit page rauch of Binghamton hs pitched two excellent games yesterday in the nysphsaa state championships but her team lost 1-0 in the finals to east meadow. She throws hard and has a tremendous change up. I think with some added strength and maturity plus being coached up she has the ability to be a very good player for us and she seems happy to be coming to rose hill. If not for some poor base running and lack of a timely hit her team could have repeated as state champs.
Report Spam   Logged
txram
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2017, 01:31:32 pm »

Fordham recruit page rauch of Binghamton hs pitched two excellent games yesterday in the nysphsaa state championships but her team lost 1-0 in the finals to east meadow. She throws hard and has a tremendous change up. I think with some added strength and maturity plus being coached up she has the ability to be a very good player for us and she seems happy to be coming to rose hill. If not for some poor base running and lack of a timely hit her team could have repeated as state champs.
Agree from all I've heard.  She had 16 Ks and a 2-run HR to win one of the games.
Report Spam   Logged
FU85
Sophomore

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2017, 01:53:50 pm »

Agree from all I've heard.  She had 16 Ks and a 2-run HR to win one of the games.

It was sunny, hot and humid and she was still throwing hard in her 14th inning of pitching. I don't think she gave up a hit after the second or third inning of final game. She hit the homer in the semis vs shaker hs. There were lots of college coaches there yesterday and some talented players. Her father was wearing a Fordham strong shirt and he was happy she is on her way to the Bronx, as am I.
Report Spam   Logged
txram
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2017, 10:47:12 pm »

I would say these are good but not "great" additions.  We definitely needed depth at catching and Roark will likely be a starter as we only had Michael left on the roster.  She may have caught in only 2-3 regular season games at the most in her 2 years on the team and had no hits in 5 ABs.  Bridget's done well with transfers though and is high on Roark. 
More on Roark  http://www.fswbucs.com/sports/sball/2016-17/releases/2017-06-12_Roark_Signs_With_Fordham
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: