fordhamfans.com
October 23, 2017, 07:46:08 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Gallery Login Register  

INTEREST RE: THIRD ANNUAL fordhamfans.com NORTH FORK BASKETBALL + LUNCHEON?

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: INTEREST RE: THIRD ANNUAL fordhamfans.com NORTH FORK BASKETBALL + LUNCHEON?  (Read 3068 times)
Lefty54
Waterboy

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 20, 2017, 05:26:46 pm »

Joe, count me in as well! 

I enjoyed last year's event and look forward to seeing you and the group again.
Report Spam   Logged
ram it 66
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 20, 2017, 06:11:37 pm »

Terrific Sunday Brunch and great desserts!

Agreed...!
Report Spam   Logged
joesunfish
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 20, 2017, 11:11:34 pm »

Joe, count me in as well! 

I enjoyed last year's event and look forward to seeing you and the group again.

Terrific, Lefty54...Welcome Back!

Our latest status report is 10 commitments and climbing:

98ramgrad, fordham 77, jimbo 65, LXRF, joesunfish, AOC, 97Ram, tuckertomm and brother Ed plus Lefty54
Report Spam   Logged
joesunfish
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 22, 2017, 04:04:48 am »

Thank you for the checks, gentlemen, but please include your fordham.fans id so I may connect the
names and "Handles."

Joe
Report Spam   Logged
joesunfish
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 23, 2017, 08:20:34 pm »

Terrific, Lefty54...Welcome Back!

Our latest status report is 10 commitments and climbing:

98ramgrad, fordham 77, jimbo 65, LXRF, joesunfish, AOC, 97Ram, tuckertomm and brother Ed plus Lefty54

Two years ago, at our first luncheon, we had seven Fans. Last year, the number was 12.

With the addition of TD-58, a classmate of mine, today's update is 11 and the number is climbing.

Commitments have been received from 98ramgrad, fordham 77, jimbo 65, LXRF, joesunfish, AOC, 97Ram, tuckertomm and brother Ed
plus Lefty54 and TD-58.
Report Spam   Logged
joesunfish
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 26, 2017, 08:37:19 pm »

Under the forum, General Fordham University Topics, is a thread initiated by Rambacker re: a freshman broadcaster,
who will be matriculating at Rose Hill next month. I invited the young man to our luncheon and he just replied.

"Thanks so much for inviting me! Count me in.

I appreciate you reaching out.

Thanks again,"

Emmanuel Berbari
Fordham University '21

Our luncheon will be three weeks from this Friday and we now have 12 commitments, which is the same number of attendees as last year.

Will we have 15? 20? If you can get to the beautiful North Fork of Eastern Long Island by noon on Friday, August 18 by LIRR, Hampton Jitney, personal vehicle or the Cross Sound Ferry from CT, consider joining your FordhamFans.com colleagues for 2-3 hours of camaraderie,
enjoyable stories and memories, good food and drink, and a beautiful view of Southold Bay & Shelter Island. Fun is the order of the day and based upon the prior two luncheons, you won't be disappointed. Go Rams! 
Report Spam   Logged
joesunfish
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 26, 2017, 08:40:21 pm »

BTW, if you have a powerboat, Pepi's has a tie-up dock immediately adjacent to the restaurant. It's very convenient.
Report Spam   Logged
joesunfish
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 27, 2017, 11:51:43 am »

Our 3rd Annual FordhamFans.com North Fork luncheon on Friday, August 18 just surpassed last year's total of 12 attendees.

For the third year in a row, Steve McGarrett will be taking the Cross Sound Ferry from New London to Orient Point. The latest commitment
number is 13: 98ramgrad, fordham 77, jimbo 65, LXRF, joesunfish, AOC, 97Ram, tuckertomm and brother Ed, Lefty54, TD-58, Steve McGarrett and RamNewbie-'21.

The luncheon is three weeks from tomorrow and the restaurant has asked that I provide a "Final" number by next Friday. While we shall always attempt to accommodate last minute additions, it would be helpful to be able to provide a realistic number to the owner next week. Many thanks for your cooperation.

Joe

Report Spam   Logged
joesunfish
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 27, 2017, 12:54:24 pm »

14 & CLIMBING!

Welcome back Ketchum 1.

14 Commitments received:

98ramgrad, fordham 77, jimbo 65, LXRF, joesunfish, AOC, 97Ram, tuckertomm and brother Ed, Lefty54, TD-58, Steve McGarrett, RamNewbie-'21 and Ketchum 1.
Report Spam   Logged
ace93
Arbitrary and Capricious Administrator
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 27, 2017, 02:07:58 pm »

This thread is getting more updates than the recruiting thread!  I am not sure if it truly belongs in the basketball section of the board if it is going to be updated as it has been.
Report Spam   Logged

Nothing replaces success in the revenue sports.  Nothing.  That's not to take away from the success in the Olympic sports - they do matter.  It isn't a replacement for success in the flagship sports. - Debbie Yow, AD - NC State
joesunfish
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 27, 2017, 02:21:20 pm »

Sorry, Ace, things became very active after a slow period. I'll pace it better and won't post more than once daily,
which should help.
Report Spam   Logged
PeterMartin08
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 31, 2017, 12:48:16 pm »

FWIW, I doubt the restaurant needs any reservation at all, let alone the daily seating arrangement update of who is chipping in $10.
Report Spam   Logged

Any other team wins the World Series, good for them. They're drinking champagne, they get a ring. But if we win, on our budget, with this team... we'll have changed the game. And that's what I want. I want it to mean something. - Moneyball
An Old Coach
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 31, 2017, 09:42:28 pm »

FWIW, I doubt the restaurant needs any reservation at all, let alone the daily seating arrangement update of who is chipping in $10.

Ya, no doubt Joe is padding his retirement with $10 from 13 guys.   Guy is pulling a scam.  There's probably no restaurant at all.  In fact there's probly no lunch, either.  He probably went to St. John's and has never set foot in a sailboat...

Report Spam   Logged
joesunfish
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 31, 2017, 09:52:28 pm »

Thanks, AOC. Best laugh of the day.

BTW, I'll be at the Orient Point Ferry to meet you, LXRF & Steve when you arrive at 11:40 AM. And, we'll make sure to save time to stop at THE CANDYMAN in Orient on the way to the ferry for the return trip. Among their many chocolate offerings, their Peanut Brittle is to die for!
Report Spam   Logged
kidfromny
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 01, 2017, 12:01:04 am »

This thread is getting more updates than the recruiting thread!  I am not sure if it truly belongs in the basketball section of the board if it is going to be updated as it has been.

Speaks volumes about the state of our recruiting...
Report Spam   Logged
jimbo65
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: August 01, 2017, 08:26:32 am »

Thanks, AOC. Best laugh of the day.

BTW, I'll be at the Orient Point Ferry to meet you, LXRF & Steve when you arrive at 11:40 AM. And, we'll make sure to save time to stop at THE CANDYMAN in Orient on the way to the ferry for the return trip. Among their many chocolate offerings, their Peanut Brittle is to die for!
Try the malted milk balls. Everyone loves them.
Report Spam   Logged
joesunfish
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 02, 2017, 10:40:28 am »

Stopped by Pepi's yesterday. The tide was high and the view was spectacular. I've reserved an expanded table at the same location we had last year when we had 12 attendees. With the additions of Bob C. and Richard J., the current confirmed number is 16 people. More may be accommodated so if anyone else would like to join us, you are welcome to do so.

The current confirmations are: 98ramgrad, fordham 77, jimbo 65, LXRF, joesunfish, AOC, 97Ram, tuckertomm, his brother Ed and alumnus neighbor, Richard J., plus Lefty54, TD-58, Steve McGarrett, RamNewbie-'21, Ketchum 1 and Bob C.

Go Rams!
Report Spam   Logged
joesunfish
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 16, 2017, 11:29:25 am »

IMPORTANT NOTICE TO 16 ATTENDEES SCHEDULED TO ATTEND THIS FRIDAY'S LUNCHEON

The current forecast for Southold is:
"Showers early then scattered thunderstorms developing later in the day. High 77F. Winds S at 10 to 15 mph. Chance of rain 60%."

If this forecast occurs between noon - 3:00 PM, dining outside will be virtually impossible, as the 10-15 mph wind will be blowing the rain directly onto the terrace. The overhead canopy will be useless. Inside dining is possible but due to the smaller area within the restaurant, it is likely that our larger group this year will have less privacy. Moreover, the roundtrip "Cruise" on the Cross Sound Ferry for the three making the trip will be less than ideal.

Thus, since weather forecasts change so frequently, particularly those for the North Fork on weekends this summer, I shall check the latest forecast late tomorrow afternoon, and post a GO or NO GO, i.e. cancellation, for Friday's luncheon. Unfortunately, we have family plans for the two remaining Fridays before Labor Day, so if it is canceled, the luncheon will not be rescheduled this summer.

It's important, that this message reaches all those, who have committed to come, so if you are scheduled to join us, please acknowledge awareness of this post by confirming same to me by IM or at joesunfish@aol.com. Thank you.

Joe 

PS In the event of cancelation, all deposit checks will be voided.    
Report Spam   Logged
joesunfish
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 17, 2017, 04:15:26 pm »

PEPi'S is a GO!!!

The chance of precipitation has dropped from 60% to a range from 25% - 45% between Noon and 3:00 PM,
and the forecast is for a lower wind velocity.

Beyond that, I just returned from Pepi's and I was not aware that the restaurant has fold-out, see-through, canvas protection, which
they use during inclement weather. Beyond that, they will accommodate us inside, if needed.

Looking forward to seeing everyone tomorrow. As a reminder, Pepi's is on the Main Road (Route 25) in Southold, just east of Port of Egypt.

Please reconfirm your presence by IM or e-mail to joesunfish@aol.com.

Thank you, all.

Joe
« Last Edit: August 17, 2017, 05:05:02 pm by joesunfish » Report Spam   Logged
An Old Coach
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 19, 2017, 08:13:34 am »

A shoutout to Joe Sunfish on the organization and execution of the "3rd Annual Conference of Fordham Basketball Diehards and Survivors".  Despite a raging summer storm we laughed at the elements and celebrated our common bonds at Pepi's.

A personal thanks to Joe for sending his car and driver to pick up Steve McGarrett, LXRF and myself at the ferry in his limo!  It was certainly worth the trip despite the weather!
Report Spam   Logged
tuckertomm
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 19, 2017, 09:49:41 am »

Once again a wonderful gathering. Thanks Joe. 4" of rain fell in just one hour! Go Rams!
Report Spam   Logged
LXRF
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 19, 2017, 04:05:32 pm »

Report from 3rd Annual North Fork Luncheon:

Sheltered from a raging thunderstorm by the fortifying food and drinks at Pepi's restaurant in Southold, L. I. yesterday, a dozen Fordham fans had two lively round table discussions centering on their involvement and memories of Fordham sports, and their views on the up-coming Ram basketball season.
Individual remarks made in the round table discussion revealed a consensus that: 1) It may be hard to replace the scoring production of the 3 players lost from last years team, 2) The coach and staff have shown that they can teach the team to play defense and that defensive skill can win games thought unwinnable, 3) Recruiting of new players has been slow and disappointing, so far, with the players coming from not well known and unexpected places, and 4) Unless there is a rapid development of some players on the team who showed flashes of their potential last year, and the emergence of some new players on the team, we're likely to end up with approximately 13 to 15 wins at best.
The group welcomed incoming freshman Emmanuel Berbari, FC 2021, whose distinctive baritone voice and enthusiasm for sports broadcasting indicated to all that he had great expectations for joining a long list of Fordham alums who have made their mark in the broadcasting field.
Despite the heavy weather the group of die-hard Ram basketball fans showed how well they have adjusted to adversity as Fordham Fans over the years by having a great time. Congratulations to organizer JoeSunfish and everyone else for turning a stormy day sunny.  (A group photo will follow to elicit the usual comments of those not in attendance).  Wink
Report Spam   Logged
joesunfish
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 19, 2017, 06:58:56 pm »

Following is  what happened to Fordham 77 on his way to the luncheon.

The following is from Southold Local News, the Town website.

Mattituck man attempting to escape from submerged Jeep in flash flood is rescued by passing highway superintendent
By Katie Blasl -  Aug 18, 2017, 3:53 pm

Tom Keane, 61, was attempting to escape from his submerged vehicle when Highway Superintendent Vincent Orlando came to his rescue. Photo: Katharine Schroeder

Tom Keane was driving his Jeep through today’s sudden downpour when he encountered what appeared to be a passable puddle on Bray Avenue.

But when the 61-year-old Mattituck man attempted to drive around the flooded area of the road, his vehicle was suddenly swept into the rising waters of the adjacent sump.

“I just got pulled in,” Keane said in an interview today. “I put it in four wheel drive and nothing happened. I had no control.”

Within moments, his car was pulled nearly roof-deep into the flood. Water began pouring into the vehicle, rising above his feet. Thinking quickly, Keane rolled down his car windows so that he would not be trapped under water.

“You see this stuff on TV, so you know you have to get the windows down,” Keane said.

The submerged SUV at the peak of the flooding today. Courtesy photo: Derek Flint

He began struggling to climb out of the Jeep window as the water continued to fill his car. In a fortunate twist of fate, that is exactly the moment that Southold Highway Superintendent Vincent Orlando happened across the scene.

Orlando was out checking on road conditions and the town’s overwhelmed storm drains when he noticed a light-colored SUV, half-submerged in water.

“I couldn’t believe my eyes,” Orlando said. When he pulled his truck over for a closer look, he saw the driver’s side window coming down and a person trying to get out.

Orlando said he jumped out of his truck and ran into the recharge basin, “sloshing through knee-deep water.”

“I thought, ‘Holy cow — this is like something you see on TV,’ as I made my way toward the SUV. It was raining cats and dogs,” Orlando said.

He helped the man out of the submerged vehicle and brought him to his house down the road.

“I’m just glad some angel sent me there right at that moment,” Orlando said.

Keane said that Orlando attempted to call the police, but that “he couldn’t get through because they were swamped – pardon the pun.”

“They have these little tools that will break the window if you go under water, and I’ve always thought about getting one,” Keane said, reflecting on the experience. “I think I’ll get one now.”

With reporting by Katharine Schroeder and Denise Civiletti

Per Joe...I was unable to cut & paste the photos, but the story speaks for itself.

Thank God Tom got out. A car can always be replaced! A Ram? Never!
« Last Edit: August 20, 2017, 06:19:41 am by joesunfish » Report Spam   Logged
Ketchum1
Waterboy

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 20, 2017, 10:02:09 am »

Great gathering of loyal Rams. Took my shoes off, rolled up my slacks in order to walk across the parking area. Good staff, good lunch, good group. Keep the FU development office out of the day. Onto to Fordham Football. Thank you Joe Sunfish for all the hard work and for the perfect weather day for a cold beer.
Report Spam   Logged
joesunfish
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 20, 2017, 10:17:59 pm »

I thought that I might be able to convert the photo taken at the luncheon to this thread but I have not had success. Ditto the photos, which accompanied the article re: our colleague escaping from the nearly submerged car. To view the latter, one will have to google
SoutholdLocalNews and scroll down to the story about the Mattituck man escaping from the car.

If anyone knows how to post a photo, I'll be happy to e-mail a copy of the former.
Report Spam   Logged
xtey92a
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 21, 2017, 10:31:40 pm »

Thankful no one was hurt.
Report Spam   Logged

#GoRamsGo!
NYRam07
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 22, 2017, 09:39:24 am »

I can post the photo if Fordham77 wouldn't mind. Let me know.
Report Spam   Logged
fordham77
Sophomore

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 22, 2017, 01:19:51 pm »

Finally returned home to dry land last night after waiting all day for insurance adjuster. 

All is well. Thank you all for the kind words and thoughts.

Sure, post the article.
Report Spam   Logged
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 22, 2017, 01:23:46 pm »

Other than that how was lunch 77?
Report Spam   Logged
NYRam07
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 22, 2017, 02:29:01 pm »

Scary Stuff! Glad you're okay!