fordhamfans.com
August 21, 2017, 04:29:18 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Gallery Login Register  

INTEREST RE: THIRD ANNUAL fordhamfans.com NORTH FORK BASKETBALL + LUNCHEON?

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: INTEREST RE: THIRD ANNUAL fordhamfans.com NORTH FORK BASKETBALL + LUNCHEON?  (Read 2747 times)
joesunfish
Junior

View Profile
« on: June 12, 2017, 04:40:36 pm »

I just saw the following post from AOC re: a possible "Third Annual fordhamfans.com, North Fork, Basketball + Luncheon," and opted to initiate a new post under the BB Forum because 95% of what has been discussed the first two years has concerned the BB team.
The "+" is for all other sports

"Joe... The weather is hot, the beaches are open.  All things summer reminded me that the annual Fordhamrams.com Annual Summer Meeting will be on the calendar soon.   Hopefully in between your busy schedule you will have some time to orchestrate another memorable day!"

To the best of my recollection, we had about 7-8 attendees in 2015 and close to double that last year. If we can get 20 this summer, I'll try to organize the luncheon at Pepi's in Southold or some comparable location at noon on Friday, August 18. All of Ace's merry men and women, if there are any, are invited to join us for a Dutch Treat lunch. Southold is an hour drive from East Hampton via the ferries and Shelter Island as well as driving west to 105, north to 25 and east to Southold. From Western Suffolk County, it's probably closer to an hour and 15 -30 minutes contingent upon traffic. We also have 2-3 fans, who leave their vehicles at the New London to Orient Point Cross Sound Ferry, and
I pick them up about 11:30 AM and drop them off at the ferry about 3:00 PM following our luncheon.

Sooooooo, if there is serious interest from app. 20 fans to commit to a luncheon on Friday, August 18, I'll proceed to make arrangements.
Please advise your commitment via a non-refundable deposit of $10.00 per person via personal check payable to "Joe Sullivan" and mail it to me at POB 612, Southold, NY 11971, so I have it a month in advance, i.e., NLT Tuesday, July 18. "Nonrefundable," will hopefully increase one's commitment, albeit for a small amount, and more importantly will enable us to order another round or two to toast Ace and our missing brethren.

BTW, if you want to make it a family day-trip and bring your spouse and the children or grandchildren, there are many options for adults and children including beaches, vineyards, antiques, historical sites, et. al.

Please use this thread to indicate your commitment and I'll maintain a running summary of those coming.

Thanks for reaching out AOC!
Report Spam   Logged

Social Buttons

98ramgrad
Freshman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2017, 07:55:39 pm »

Like the past two years, I am def interested.  I hope to make it, but I cannot commit until that week or the week prior.  My inlaws live out in suffolk county and a lot of it is contingent upon us being out there to visit them.
Report Spam   Logged
joesunfish
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2017, 10:50:56 pm »

Understood 98ramgrad. I'll put you down as a "Definite Maybe." Hope you can make it.
Report Spam   Logged
xtey92a
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2017, 11:01:52 pm »

wish I could. Very hard to get a day off.
Report Spam   Logged

#GoRamsGo!
joesunfish
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2017, 10:22:49 am »

UPDATE:

Tentative Day & Date for Third Annual "fordham.fans" North Fork (LI) luncheon - Friday, August 18

Due date for reservations: Three weeks from today - Tuesday, July 18

Current attendees: jimbo 65, LXRF, joesunfish

Definite Maybe's: AOC, 98ramgrad

The plan, contingent upon the number of people, who have committed to come, is for me to approach Pepi's or a comparable venue, to make a reservation on Wednesday, July 19. If the weather is anything like today or our first two lunch dates, the view across Southold Bay to Shelter Island will be spectacular!

If you are free to join us, please see information above re: how to do so, and when.
Report Spam   Logged
97Ram
Sophomore

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2017, 12:00:21 pm »

Joe, thanks for once again organizing this.  I attended the last 2 years, and I plan on being there again this year. 
Report Spam   Logged
joesunfish
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2017, 01:31:30 pm »

Terrific, 97ram! Welcome back!
Report Spam   Logged
RickFC77
Junior

Where was Lembo when I needed him?

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2017, 01:51:14 pm »

Wish I could go but its the first week back after two weeks off. Enjoy!
Report Spam   Logged

“Hail men of Fordham hail."
joesunfish
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2017, 10:49:05 pm »

STATUS

Current attendees: jimbo 65, LXRF, joesunfish, AOC, 97Ram

Definite Maybe: 98ramgrad
Report Spam   Logged
joesunfish
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2017, 12:02:47 am »

LATEST UPDATE:

I'm guessing that we'll have as many attendees as last year and maybe more, so app. 15-20 people. We lucked out on the patio of Pepi's
the past two years as both days were sunny, hot and with a light breeze. However, the wind was strong today with gusts in excess of 20 knots, which I realized would not be conducive to a pleasant outside meal at Pepi's. Add rain to the occasion, and our party would be too large to be moved inside. Ergo, I made an executive decision and reserved the private room overlooking the docks, Greenport Harbor and Shelter Island on the second floor of Claudio's Restaurant in Greenport, just a couple of miles east of Pepi's, and within a short walk of the North Ferry. In fact, anyone coming from the Hamptons should park their vehicle by the North Ferry on Shelter Island, and walk onto the ferry. Claudio's is a short, no more than two-block walk along the waterfront when you egress the ferry. That way, you will save money on the ferry and importantly not have to wait an extended time on the inevitable Friday afternoon ferry line to Shelter Island after the luncheon.

Claudio's is allegedly the USA's oldest same family owned restaurant. The seafood is very good and I invite you to visit their website at:
www.claudios.com. You can even click on their rooftop camera from the website and check out the yachts at the dock and to the right, you may catch sight of the ferry going to or coming from Shelter Island. In any event, in the case of inclement weather, no one will have an excuse for not coming, and in nice weather, the view will be spectacular. 

BTW, free parking is available for diners at Claudios. The lot is on the waterfront immediately adjacent to Claudios. You just have to get your ticket validated before you leave the restaurant.
Report Spam   Logged
An Old Coach
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2017, 09:45:14 am »

LATEST UPDATE:

I'm guessing that we'll have as many attendees as last year and maybe more, so app. 15-20 people. We lucked out on the patio of Pepi's
the past two years as both days were sunny, hot and with a light breeze. However, the wind was strong today with gusts in excess of 20 knots, which I realized would not be conducive to a pleasant outside meal at Pepi's. Add rain to the occasion, and our party would be too large to be moved inside. Ergo, I made an executive decision and reserved the private room overlooking the docks, Greenport Harbor and Shelter Island on the second floor of Claudio's Restaurant in Greenport, just a couple of miles east of Pepi's, and within a short walk of the North Ferry. In fact, anyone coming from the Hamptons should park their vehicle by the North Ferry on Shelter Island, and walk onto the ferry. Claudio's is a short, no more than two-block walk along the waterfront when you egress the ferry. That way, you will save money on the ferry and importantly not have to wait an extended time on the inevitable Friday afternoon ferry line to Shelter Island after the luncheon.

Claudio's is allegedly the USA's oldest same family owned restaurant. The seafood is very good and I invite you to visit their website at:
www.claudios.com. You can even click on their rooftop camera from the website and check out the yachts at the dock and to the right, you may catch sight of the ferry going to or coming from Shelter Island. In any event, in the case of inclement weather, no one will have an excuse for not coming, and in nice weather, the view will be spectacular. 

BTW, free parking is available for diners at Claudios. The lot is on the waterfront immediately adjacent to Claudios. You just have to get your ticket validated before you leave the restaurant.

For those coming from CT, are you running the limo from the ferry?
Report Spam   Logged
fordham77
Sophomore

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2017, 03:22:26 pm »

Brother Joe,
Had a good time last year.  As you say the weather was great, the meal sublime and the company outstanding . . . and my post lunch snooze in the hammock was perfect.

Put me in as a tentative Yes.  I just need to see how my work schedule plays out over the next couple of weeks..
Report Spam   Logged
joesunfish
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2017, 07:36:21 am »

Roger that, fordham77. I hope that you can make it again.

AOC, I can pick up four at the ferry. Right now, I've got you and LXRF, who will advise re: the ferry schedule. In the past, I picked up the CT contingent about 11:30 AM, I believe.
Report Spam   Logged
joesunfish
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2017, 07:42:17 am »

LATEST UPDATE

COMMITMENTS: LXRF, jimbo 65, AOC, 97Ram, joesunfish

DEFINITE MAYBES: 98 ramgrad, fordham 77
Report Spam   Logged
jimbo65
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2017, 07:47:18 am »

Joe does  Claudio's have an elevator or ramp to second floor. My arthritic knees are bad descending stairs
Report Spam   Logged
joesunfish
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2017, 10:17:48 pm »

I don't believe so, jimbo65, but I'll find out. Regardless, if going down is your only concern, we'll carry my Sunfish up the stairs; place you in the cockpit and slide you down the one flight of steps! And if Sailing downstream is not your thing, we'll have enough guys to resolve the situation in a safe way for you and us.    Wink
Report Spam   Logged
tuckertomm
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2017, 08:46:44 am »

Joe, Count me in Thanks.
Report Spam   Logged
joesunfish
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2017, 10:06:23 pm »

Done tuckertomm. Thanks.

CURRENT STATUS

Current attendees: jimbo 65, LXRF, joesunfish, AOC, 97Ram, tuckertomm

Definite Maybe: 98ramgrad & fordham 77
« Last Edit: July 03, 2017, 11:10:38 am by joesunfish » Report Spam   Logged
joesunfish
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2017, 12:49:03 pm »

Another Executive Decision...because we want to accommodate everyone comfortably, we shall for the third consecutive
year have our luncheon at Pepi's on Route 25 (Main Road) in Southold. The food was good. The price was right. The company was awesome, and the view is spectacular. In the unlikely event of inclement weather, we'll move inside.

As a reminder, I'd very much like to give the restaurant a realistic number re: how many will be in our party no later than August 1, so
I'm respectfully asking that you let me know a month in advance, i.e., by July 18, which is two weeks from yesterday.

Thank you for your cooperation.

BTW, docking privileges are available immediately alongside the restaurant. When you enter the creek for Port of Egypt, go straight
and you can't miss Pepi's. If you have a powerboat anywhere in the Little or Great Peconic Bays or Gardiner's Bay from Riverhead to the west to Montauk to the east, Pepi's will be very convenient. Heck, if you're on Block Island or along the Connecticut coast from Madison to Mystic and have a good size powerboat, make a day of it. Just turn right when you come through Plum Gut. If you have room and life jackets for alumni passengers, use this Forum to recruit a crew!

Report Spam   Logged
joesunfish
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2017, 08:31:50 pm »

CURRENT STATUS

Seven Current attendees: jimbo 65, LXRF, joesunfish, AOC, 97Ram, tuckertomm and brother, Ed

Two Definite Maybe's: 98ramgrad & fordham 77

Potential Total: Nine
Report Spam   Logged
joesunfish
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2017, 10:54:39 am »

I had previously written, "As a reminder, I'd very much like to give the restaurant a realistic number re: how many will be in our party no later than August 1, so I'm respectfully asking that you let me know a month in advance, i.e., by July 18, which is two weeks from yesterday."

Today is July 18 and the current status remains unchanged, i.e., seven definite attendees. If you plan to join us for a fraternal luncheon at a
nice venue overlooking Southold Bay and Shelter Island on Friday, August 18, to discuss whatever Fordham topics you wish to address, please let me know by the end of July as I plan to finalize our reservation two weeks from today, on Tuesday, August 1.

Thank you for your cooperation.

Joe
Report Spam   Logged
98ramgrad
Freshman

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 18, 2017, 11:42:01 am »

Im in...just let me know time and locale!

I will wear fordham gear and mumble about how great Mark Blazejewski was.
Report Spam   Logged
ram it 66
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 18, 2017, 02:10:25 pm »

Joe et al

Last Sunday's NYTIMES featured Shelter Island.

Might be interesting for the group. Sorry I can't make it. Do you think City Island could be the venue one of these years?
Report Spam   Logged
fordham77
Sophomore

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 18, 2017, 02:26:57 pm »

Joe,
Work schedule looks good . . .I plan to be with you on luncheon day
Report Spam   Logged
joesunfish
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 18, 2017, 03:03:42 pm »

Joe et al

Last Sunday's NYTIMES featured Shelter Island.

Might be interesting for the group. Sorry I can't make it. Do you think City Island could be the venue one of these years?

Not during the summer but would be a terrific locale for a get-together during the BB season.
Report Spam   Logged
joesunfish
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 18, 2017, 03:18:24 pm »

Now we're making progress...

Nine definite commitments: 98ramgrad, fordham 77, jimbo 65, LXRF, joesunfish, AOC, 97Ram plus tuckertomm and brother, Ed

Thank you, gentlemen. If you haven't already done so, by August 1, please mail a $10.00 check made payable to "Joe Sullivan" to me at
POB 612
Southold, NY 11971

The check will go toward the cost of your lunch. If the luncheon is canceled prior to August 18, your check will be voided and destroyed.
If you are a last-minute "No Show" on August 18, your check will go toward the cost of the liquid refreshments and be assured, that we shall
salute you!
Report Spam   Logged
ram it 66
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 18, 2017, 05:11:06 pm »

Not during the summer but would be a terrific locale for a get-together during the BB season.

Sounds great. Put me down at The Black Whale.
Report Spam   Logged
ace93
Arbitrary and Capricious Administrator
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 18, 2017, 05:36:38 pm »

Now we're making progress...

Nine definite commitments: 98ramgrad, fordham 77, jimbo 65, LXRF, joesunfish, AOC, 97Ram plus tuckertomm and brother, Ed

Thank you, gentlemen. If you haven't already done so, by August 1, please mail a $10.00 check made payable to "Joe Sullivan" to me at
POB 612
Southold, NY 11971

The check will go toward the cost of your lunch. If the luncheon is canceled prior to August 18, your check will be voided and destroyed.
If you are a last-minute "No Show" on August 18, your check will go toward the cost of the liquid refreshments and be assured, that we shall
salute you!

Sounds like the beginnings of a pyramid scheme.
Report Spam   Logged

Nothing replaces success in the revenue sports.  Nothing.  That's not to take away from the success in the Olympic sports - they do matter.  It isn't a replacement for success in the flagship sports. - Debbie Yow, AD - NC State
joesunfish
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 18, 2017, 08:36:55 pm »

Sounds great. Put me down at The Black Whale.

Terrific Sunday Brunch and great desserts!
Report Spam   Logged
joesunfish
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 18, 2017, 08:38:29 pm »

Hmmm, Ace, I always thought that you had some con in you!    Wink
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: