fordhamfans.com
September 20, 2017, 07:41:31 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Gallery Login Register  

DePaul transfer Erten Gazi has committed to Fordham, per a source.

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: DePaul transfer Erten Gazi has committed to Fordham, per a source.  (Read 3184 times)
Buzz
Sophomore

View Profile
« on: June 26, 2017, 05:16:05 pm »

Rothstein: DePaul transfer Erten Gazi has committed to Fordham, per a source.
Report Spam   Logged

Social Buttons

ram it 66
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2017, 05:39:50 pm »

Does he sit out a year?
Report Spam   Logged
RamRunner12
Freshman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2017, 05:42:35 pm »

6'4" guard from Cyprus, entering junior year. Guessing he'll have to sit.

30 gp including 5 starts as a freshman, before getting nailed to the bench as a soph.

Some links with info:

http://www.depaulbluedemons.com/sports/m-baskbl/mtt/erten_gazi_974032.html
https://www.bigeastcoastbias.com/2015/11/12/9723760/get-to-know-a-recruit-depauls-erten-gazi
Report Spam   Logged
RAM71
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2017, 05:43:41 pm »

Does he sit out a year?

It appears that he will need to sit a year and then have two years left. Listed as a 6'4" guard from Turkey. Seems to have played very sparingly for DePaul this past year. 
Report Spam   Logged
SIram
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2017, 05:45:52 pm »

Does he sit out a year?

I would expect so and that he would have two years left to play

If that is the case then we would have a maximum of 11 players (the 10 currently on the roster plus one more to come) eligible next year plus the two transfers sitting out next year
Report Spam   Logged
joeb
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2017, 06:09:55 pm »

https://www.bigeastcoastbias.com/platform/amp/2016/10/31/13345044/erten-gazi-depaul-blue-demons-basketball-player-profile-2016
Report Spam   Logged
Scott W 86
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2017, 07:19:15 pm »

This is how transfers should work.   Higher conference scholarship player not getting enough minutes..... move down a notch and be a more competitive talent.

I'm assuming Ali Ton knows the kid well enough to confidently recommend him.

Seems like good work..

Report Spam   Logged
FU85
Sophomore

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2017, 07:53:30 pm »

This is how transfers should work.   Higher conference scholarship player not getting enough minutes..... move down a notch and be a more competitive talent.

Seems like good work..

Agree with the idea that we need to get transfers from higher conferences but my concern is that we still need a big and we will now have 2 players sitting out next season who are taking up scholarships. We could have a thin bench this season. Gotta make a smart move with this last scholarship.
Report Spam   Logged
ramfan01
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2017, 09:04:29 pm »

Seems like good work..

So since this guy comes from DePaul, the worst team in the Big East, a team that probably wasn't better than us last year, he's going to perform better than Portly because he's from tha Maac?
« Last Edit: June 26, 2017, 10:21:11 pm by ramfan01 » Report Spam   Logged
xtey92a
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2017, 10:06:57 pm »

Welcome Erten! You're going to love NYC!
Report Spam   Logged

#GoRamsGo!
PeterMartin08
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2017, 11:20:12 pm »

According to Kenpom.com, DePaul sophomore guard Erten Gazi played 35.3 percent of possible game minutes. In that time he was used on 11.8 percent of the team’s possessions. That number made Gazi “nearly invisible” on offense in relation to the rest of the team.

Gazi finished his first year in Chicago averaging 2.2 points, 1.3 rebounds, and 1.2 assists in 14.6 minutes per game. He failed to score double-digits in any appearance, with his season scoring high being the 8 points he put up in a win at UIC.

https://www.bigeastcoastbias.com/2016/10/31/13345044/erten-gazi-depaul-blue-demons-basketball-player-profile-2016
Report Spam   Logged

Any other team wins the World Series, good for them. They're drinking champagne, they get a ring. But if we win, on our budget, with this team... we'll have changed the game. And that's what I want. I want it to mean something. - Moneyball
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2017, 07:55:19 am »

Not too much to get excited about lately with the recruiting. Not to mention, this debunks at least half of the rumor of 2 Euro bigs coming this year. I get the Turkey connection but is this really worth a sit out year?  2 guys out all year due to transfer. 1 ship remaining. 10 schollie players with 3 coming off of injuries and surgery. Neubie has his work cut out. 

One ship left, given the above, need a body......any news on the phantom Euros?
Report Spam   Logged
Ram 83
Sophomore

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2017, 09:26:37 am »

So since this guy comes from DePaul, the worst team in the Big East, a team that probably wasn't better than us last year, he's going to perform better than Portly because he's from tha Maac?

That's not what he said.  Who is talking about the MAAC?
Report Spam   Logged
Scott W 86
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2017, 09:54:20 am »

Not a certainty....  a very good MAAC player can fit into the A10 also.  That's the other side of the same coin.

But you already knew that.

Personally, I trust generalities when I bet.  I don't let the possibility of exceptions cloud my judgements.
Report Spam   Logged
An Old Coach
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2017, 09:56:33 am »

Seems like good work..

?

Perspective.  The last player on the end of the bench on the worst team in the BE.  This is progress?  Come on guys. This is not solid recruiting.  This is bringing in a warm body. There is no way to spin this as a good get. 
« Last Edit: June 27, 2017, 10:28:36 am by An Old Coach » Report Spam   Logged
Battering Ram
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2017, 10:01:23 am »

no one really knows how the guy will do here.  Maybe he was poorly coached at DePaul.  Maybe he was a bad fit for their system.  Maybe our staff can get more out of him.  This is a move where the staff should get the benefit of the doubt because they have far more information and know more about the player than anyone on this board does.  We won't know whether it was a good transfer for us or not probably until the Fall of 2018 (sooner if we get some intel about how he's doing in practice).
Report Spam   Logged
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2017, 10:05:00 am »

no one really knows how the guy will do here.  Maybe he was poorly coached at DePaul.  Maybe he was a bad fit for their system.  Maybe our staff can get more out of him.  This is a move where the staff should get the benefit of the doubt because they have far more information and know more about the player than anyone on this board does.  We won't know whether it was a good transfer for us or not probably until the Fall of 2018 (sooner if we get some intel about how he's doing in practice).

Dont disagree but part of evaluating the transfer process is how are we set for next season. Right now just 10 guys and 3 coming off surgery.  2 schollie players sitting out makes us very thin and if we have anywhere near the injuries we did this past season, might be tight.
Report Spam   Logged
Battering Ram
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2017, 10:18:47 am »

Dont disagree but part of evaluating the transfer process is how are we set for next season. Right now just 10 guys and 3 coming off surgery.  2 schollie players sitting out makes us very thin and if we have anywhere near the injuries we did this past season, might be tight.
well, there are always walk-ons.   Wink
Report Spam   Logged
Scott W 86
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2017, 10:39:13 am »

?

Perspective.  The last player on the end of the bench on the worst team in the BE.  This is progress?  Come on guys. This is not solid recruiting.  This is bringing in a warm body. There is no way to spin this as a good get. 

Perspective!   Fordham MBB looking down on anyone in the Big East!

We've made progress.... but I don't think we're at the point where we can look down on BE teams or players. 

I watched his video and I'm impressed with his skill and speed making moves to the basket. Especially against strong competition.

And if he's not, they've got a year to get him a contract to play in Turkey.
Report Spam   Logged
VTRAM
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2017, 11:40:13 am »

How about we watch him play then decide if he is a good get. Novel idea.

Report Spam   Logged
An Old Coach
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2017, 11:56:00 am »

Perspective!   Fordham MBB looking down on anyone in the Big East!

We've made progress.... but I don't think we're at the point where we can look down on BE teams or players. 

I watched his video and I'm impressed with his skill and speed making moves to the basket. Especially against strong competition.

And if he's not, they've got a year to get him a contract to play in Turkey.

Sorry.  You don't improve a mediocre program by bringing in castoffs from one of the worst programs in the country.  It's not like this guy is the last man on the Michigan State bench.  Could he develop some time down the line?  Maybe.  This is not the kind of player you build a program around.  This is a roster filler.

"Highlight" videos don't mean much with a kid who never plays.  We already have plenty of guys at the end of our bench.  We don't need another down-in-the-tooth program's.  The idea is to recruit up.

« Last Edit: June 27, 2017, 12:20:26 pm by An Old Coach » Report Spam   Logged
Vinseiro2
Freshman

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2017, 12:44:21 pm »

He's played NCAA ball for 2 years, including 4 MPG for a 9-win team last season (!).  I don't think he's been injured.  We can already watch him play. 
Report Spam   Logged
Vinseiro2
Freshman

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 27, 2017, 12:46:52 pm »

Sorry.  You don't improve a mediocre program by bringing in castoffs from one of the worst programs in the country.  It's not like this guy is the last man on the Michigan State bench.  Could he develop some time down the line?  Maybe.  This is not the kind of player you build a program around.  This is a roster filler.

"Highlight" videos don't mean much with a kid who never plays.  We already have plenty of guys at the end of our bench.  We don't need another down-in-the-tooth program's.  The idea is to recruit up.

+1.  Why waste a schollie here?  Who did we beat out for his services?
Report Spam   Logged
John
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 27, 2017, 01:01:58 pm »

Welcome, Erten!  [Now hit the gym!]

I assume Coach Ton evaluated him over his work in Europe as much as his time at DePaul. Does anyone know if he was recruited to DePaul by Dave Leitao, or had already committed when Leitao was hired? That might have been a factor in his usage there.

Like most folks, I'm on Cloud Five about this news. Hopefully, a new program, different system, additional year of maturity all combine to make a difference when he's ready to step on the court for us. Hopefully.
Report Spam   Logged
drunkle
Sophomore

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 27, 2017, 01:48:57 pm »

well, there are always walk-ons.   Wink

I actually do think Saglam could end up being pretty good.  I assume he is still paying is way this coming year.
Report Spam   Logged
drunkle
Sophomore

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 27, 2017, 02:15:10 pm »

I think it is fair to say this guy is probably a depth piece for next year.  But at least he has some experience and will have a year to learn the system.  I really like Havsa, and still think Saglam will turn into something, so I just trust Ton's judgment. 

He's played a lot with Havsa in Turkey, and isn't as highly rated as he is.  I translated a bunch of turkish search results into english and Havsa would get most of the superlatives.   He is athletic and has some serious hops (you can google his block against Chicago St. this past year).  Good defender, not a great shooter so far.
Report Spam   Logged
ram64
Freshman

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 27, 2017, 02:30:39 pm »

We didn't need another end of the bench player who has to sit out a year.  We needed 2 players that hopefully could contribute by the time the A10 season starts up.
Report Spam   Logged
NYRam07
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 27, 2017, 02:49:47 pm »

We didn't need another end of the bench player who has to sit out a year.  We needed 2 players that hopefully could contribute by the time the A10 season starts up.

We all know what we need. Wouldn't be shocked if this is all we could get.
Report Spam   Logged
Bay Ridge
Freshman

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 27, 2017, 03:49:23 pm »

I've heard that the two Europeans are definitely coming but that they are definitely not bigs
Report Spam   Logged
RAM71
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 27, 2017, 04:53:44 pm »

I've heard that the two Europeans are definitely coming but that they are definitely not bigs

Do you know if Gazi is one of the two Europeans? If not, two more scholarships would put us one over 13. 
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: