fordhamfans.com
September 20, 2017, 07:46:14 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Gallery Login Register  

DePaul transfer Erten Gazi has committed to Fordham, per a source.

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: DePaul transfer Erten Gazi has committed to Fordham, per a source.  (Read 3184 times)
Scott W 86
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 27, 2017, 05:21:56 pm »

Sorry.  You don't improve a mediocre program by bringing in castoffs from one of the worst programs in the country.  It's not like this guy is the last man on the Michigan State bench.  Could he develop some time down the line?  Maybe.  This is not the kind of player you build a program around.  This is a roster filler.

"Highlight" videos don't mean much with a kid who never plays.  We already have plenty of guys at the end of our bench.  We don't need another down-in-the-tooth program's.  The idea is to recruit up.

Not worth all of the arguing.  I doubt anyone thinks he'll turn around the program.   I think he'll be a solid role player off the bench.

I doubt we are turning away 4 star players right now.

Report Spam   Logged
An Old Coach
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 27, 2017, 05:31:45 pm »

Not worth all of the arguing.  I doubt anyone thinks he'll turn around the program.   I think he'll be a solid role player off the bench.

I doubt we are turning away 4 star players right now.

Great.  Another "solid player off the bench".  That will get things turned around...

JN is going into year 3.  Where are his recruits?  At most schools, year 3 is fairly critical.

Maybe the question that should be asked a little louder is, what the heck is going on with recruiting?  I'm not seeing much of an upgrade in talent, are you?
Report Spam   Logged
Scott W 86
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 27, 2017, 05:52:10 pm »

Great.  Another "solid player off the bench".  That will get things turned around...

JN is going into year 3.  Where are his recruits?  At most schools, year 3 is fairly critical.

Maybe the question that should be asked a little louder is, what the heck is going on with recruiting?  I'm not seeing much of an upgrade in talent, are you?

No... count me among that are very frustrated with our lack of new "starting 5 talent"

Clearly not enough.

I won't let that frustration fall on the back of this kid from DePaul.   I won't let my frustration fall on Ali Ton, because I see his role as finding the hard to find guys overseas.  He seems to do that fairly well.

I lay the apparent scarcity of 3 star and 4 star talent, similar to what the other A10s are getting, on our head coach.  I think he's a very good coach, but I don't see him acquiring enough USA high school A10 talent so far.

But I don't exactly know the headwinds he's facing.

I'm not impressed or swayed with those among us who get angry, pushy, or belligerent when another Fordham fan dares to say "facilities."   Because, as you know, facilities, or working conditions, are a BIG factor to recruits. 

Report Spam   Logged
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 27, 2017, 06:47:48 pm »

This is a very risky proposition right now. 2 guys will sit out a year when we are returning just 7 healthy players and are still short one. Very thin margin for error.  And of course, you set yourself up for them to graduate in 4 years and bolt. I dont like either one of these transfers ( the transaction not the players). If it was a Mo Curtis (WVU) or Greg Pedro ( Michigan State) David Mascia ( LSU ) or a really high end player sitting out a year, go for it, but this is risky, and then some.   
« Last Edit: June 27, 2017, 08:54:54 pm by 85 » Report Spam   Logged
RamRunner12
Freshman

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 27, 2017, 10:54:23 pm »

I'm fairly bullish on this kid. He's a 6-4 guard and shot 47.7% from the field so far. He got five starts for a Big East team as a freshman and was a regular in their rotation that whole season.

Apart from returning starters Billy Garrett & Eli Cain, Leitao basically flipped his whole rotation from 2015-16 to 2016-17 and gave the bulk of available minutes to newcomers -- maybe they butted heads or Gazi regressed, but to me that looks like a coach deciding the guys on the roster aren't going to make him competitive in the Big East quick enough. As bad as DePaul has been, that's a totally different standard than "guys who could contribute in the A-10."

We didn't need another end of the bench player who has to sit out a year.

This is a very risky proposition right now. 2 guys will sit out a year when we are returning just 7 healthy players and are still short one. Very thin margin for error.

Totally agree that it's risky for games, but transfers *can* practice. [insert pro forma AI autotune video below] We all prefer to add guys ready to contribute legit minutes this year, but even without playing in games, Gazi and Portley can help move the program forward more than a pair of empties... or worse, a couple of Danny Thompsons that we added at the 11th hour simply because they're game-eligible.

No way you play 30 games for DePaul if you're a scrub on par with the walk-ons and total-whiff DIII talent we've stocked our last few roster spots with for the past decade. Carrying 1 transfer on a sit-out year seems like plenty to me, but I can see the value/appeal in having 12 legitimate D1 talents in the gym every day. Only way we'll get the best from Chartouny, Havsa, Tavares (etc), IMO.
Report Spam   Logged
Bay Ridge
Freshman

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 28, 2017, 06:48:55 am »

Gaze is not one of them

Report Spam   Logged
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 28, 2017, 07:59:06 am »

I agree about the Danny Thompson, Brennan Melvin 11th hour types. Nothing against either transfer but another guy from Turkey seems a bit ridiculous. Obviously, its Ali Ton's doing.  Never saw the kid play but sitting him a year, along with Portley,  and  perhaps playing further into the guys leaving if they graduate early, makes the whole scenario not wise from a program management standpoint.

That being said, maybe the staff simply couldnt get anyone this year, which of course is a far bigger problem.  Neubie can flat out coach,  I think we know that. But its year 3 and no free rides. I wouldnt bank year 3 ( the most important year) on 2 mid major guards sitting out as transfers. Sometimes that means there is no year 4.
Report Spam   Logged
RAM71
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 28, 2017, 08:05:51 am »

Gaze is not one of them

That would suggest that someone is not returning.
Report Spam   Logged
An Old Coach
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 28, 2017, 08:41:35 am »

I agree about the Danny Thompson, Brennan Melvin 11th hour types. Nothing against either transfer but another guy from Turkey seems a bit ridiculous. Obviously, its Ali Ton's doing.  Never saw the kid play but sitting him a year, along with Portley,  and  perhaps playing further into the guys leaving if they graduate early, makes the whole scenario not wise from a program management standpoint.

That being said, maybe the staff simply couldnt get anyone this year, which of course is a far bigger problem.  Neubie can flat out coach,  I think we know that. But its year 3 and no free rides. I wouldnt bank year 3 ( the most important year) on 2 mid major guards sitting out as transfers. Sometimes that means there is no year 4.

Not at Fordham. He's going to get a long leash. As you point out, he's is a good coach but some things are out of his control.  As long as we beat bad teams, come close once in a while and don't lose by 20 most nights, JN will be with us for the foreseeable future.
Report Spam   Logged
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 28, 2017, 08:50:10 am »

I'm fairly bullish on this kid. He's a 6-4 guard and shot 47.7% from the field so far. He got five starts for a Big East team as a freshman and was a regular in their rotation that whole season.

Apart from returning starters Billy Garrett & Eli Cain, Leitao basically flipped his whole rotation from 2015-16 to 2016-17 and gave the bulk of available minutes to newcomers -- maybe they butted heads or Gazi regressed, but to me that looks like a coach deciding the guys on the roster aren't going to make him competitive in the Big East quick enough. As bad as DePaul has been, that's a totally different standard than "guys who could contribute in the A-10."

Totally agree that it's risky for games, but transfers *can* practice. [insert pro forma AI autotune video below] We all prefer to add guys ready to contribute legit minutes this year, but even without playing in games, Gazi and Portley can help move the program forward more than a pair of empties... or worse, a couple of Danny Thompsons that we added at the 11th hour simply because they're game-eligible.

No way you play 30 games for DePaul if you're a scrub on par with the walk-ons and total-whiff DIII talent we've stocked our last few roster spots with for the past decade. Carrying 1 transfer on a sit-out year seems like plenty to me, but I can see the value/appeal in having 12 legitimate D1 talents in the gym every day. Only way we'll get the best from Chartouny, Havsa, Tavares (etc), IMO.

One thing that must be factored in is the graduating early and bolting.  If we sit 2 guys this year and they both keep on track academically, and only play just 1 season and then look to move as 5th year grad players, then it is a colossal mistake in my opinion. Unless we are making it quite clear up front that you wont get a release for a 5th year, signing a junior (s)  who will sit out a year is not a great idea, unless it is a major impact player.  These coaches are caught between a rock and a hard place with the transfer thing, but I wouldnt sign any juniors because they could screw you the most with the 5th year thing. I dont see either of these guys having the potential of being such a major impact player that they are worth this risk. We should be able to sign high mid major guards.
Report Spam   Logged
kidfromny
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 28, 2017, 09:49:34 am »

This is a very risky proposition right now. 2 guys will sit out a year when we are returning just 7 healthy players and are still short one. Very thin margin for error.  And of course, you set yourself up for them to graduate in 4 years and bolt. I dont like either one of these transfers ( the transaction not the players). If it was a Mo Curtis (WVU) or Greg Pedro ( Michigan State) David Mascia ( LSU ) or a really high end player sitting out a year, go for it, but this is risky, and then some.   

There's absolutely nothing to be excited about for this upcoming season. On paper, this looks like a wasted season.
Report Spam   Logged
ace93
Arbitrary and Capricious Administrator
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 28, 2017, 09:54:10 am »

There's absolutely nothing to be excited about for this upcoming season. On paper, this looks like a wasted season.

That's the right attitude. It increases the chances of being pleasantly surprised.
Report Spam   Logged

Nothing replaces success in the revenue sports.  Nothing.  That's not to take away from the success in the Olympic sports - they do matter.  It isn't a replacement for success in the flagship sports. - Debbie Yow, AD - NC State
RoRam
Sophomore

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 28, 2017, 10:18:50 am »

That would suggest that someone is not returning.
Could be that one will be on a Scholarship and the other a Walk On simiar to Havsa/Singlam this past season?
Report Spam   Logged

“We didn’t get blown out of many games in the Atlantic 10. … I can see it coming.”

-Tom Pecora
John
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 28, 2017, 10:23:53 am »

Give JN a blow for the first year recruiting. But -- here's the concern -- the past two seasons, we've extended dozens of offers to domestic HS and prep players, and received a single acceptance (Ohams).
Report Spam   Logged
SIram
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 28, 2017, 10:31:43 am »

Give JN a blow for the first year recruiting. But -- here's the concern -- the past two seasons, we've extended dozens of offers to domestic HS and prep players, and received a single acceptance (Ohams).

Yes, it is a concern

But, every school at our level and even some larger schools, extend dozens of offers, it is the nature of the process, but certainly most wind up up closing more of the deals that we have

I will say though that I understand JN's preference to be transfers and JUCO's and not as many HS players,  based on his track record at his previous school and he has signed those kind of players
Report Spam   Logged
greenwood
Sophomore

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: June 28, 2017, 11:04:36 am »

Looking at it perhaps overly simply, Gazi is Tavares' replacement.  Continuing in that vein, you replace someone who entered with 2 years at Monroe with someone entering with 2 years at DePaul.  That's just unvarnished fact, not a slam on Will, I expect with health he will be a more consistent plus this year.
Report Spam   Logged
drunkle
Sophomore

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 28, 2017, 11:29:06 am »

The more I look into him the more I like this guy.  He really does have some athleticism.  For 2018-19 we should be pretty set at guard even if Chartouny graduates early.  This guy looks like he could develop an offensive game, but he seems like he would fit our defensive scheme.  We'll have (presumably; we all see how things change quickly these days in college hoops) Havsa, Evans, Portley and Hicks.  Gazi gives us some length off the bench.  Havsa is 6'4" but isn't as athletic as Gazi.  Portley is 6'3".  The other guys are shorter.

Inside there's Bunting, Slanina, Pekarek and Ohams.  With Saglam as a 'tweener.  And still time to add.  We need more bangers, but JN likes a wide open style anyway.  And from the footage it does seem like Havsa and Garzi play well together.  

And IF Chartouny comes back for a 4th year and we add someone exciting, a scoring wing, a banger, that seems like a pretty good A-10 team with JN, Ton and Crawford at the helm.

85 brings up the threat of Portley and Gazi being graduate transfers.  If they stay they help us out into 2019-20 with an experienced core group of Havsa, Ohams, Evans, Portley, Gazi.  That team will defintely need some size but a long way off.

So, getting ahead of myself, but since the guy is sitting a year all you can do is contemplate down the road.  The staff obviously is.

As for this coming year, I am still cautiously optimistic.  We have a bunch of guys coming back who played their parts in some major wins either last year or the year before.  Adding Evans and Hicks hopefully helps.  Maybe Saglam shows something.

Doesn't seem like we are adding much more, except our euro mystery date  But the "good" thing, if you could call it that, was that different guys stepped up at different times in wins and tight games.  They weren't all playing major minutes at the same time, but we have a better idea that Slanina, Havsa, Ohams and Bunting can all contribute.  Slanina with 10 and 8 against Davidson, 15 and 5 with 2 blocks against St. Joe's.  Havsa with 10 against Duquesne, and the great flurry late to almost pull out the GW game.  With excellent passing.  Ohams with 10 boards, 2 steals and a block against VCU.  Bunting with 7 boards and 3 blocks against St. Louis (the only game he played more than 20 minutes), or the 6 points and 4 clutch free throws late against St. Joe's in double OT.  Even Tavares with 10 points, 5 boards and a block in the St. Joe's win.

Sure, there was inconsistency and  they mostly weren't major scorers, although Havsa and Slanina seem like they could develop that.  Even Ohams with the 12 and 7 against LaSalle showed there may be some offense in there.  Don't forget it was the first major college minutes for most of these guys as the 5th option usually when they were on the court with Hawkins, Anderson, Sengfelder and Chartouny.  

Chartouny you know what you'll get.  Hopefully the other guys show growth, with Pekarek's soph season a cautionary tale on that front, but mostly JN seems to develop guys.  With Evans and Hicks the wildcards.  Not everything will work out, but there's a chance for this team to surprise.    

Report Spam   Logged
LXRF
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 28, 2017, 12:48:48 pm »

Drunkle makes a good case for being cautiously optimistic about the coming season and I don't disagree. There are obvious flashing yellow lights out there, we don't know how fit Hicks and Pekarek will be after their injuries, but we may see enough improvement from Slanina, Ohams, Havsa, Bunting and Taveras to get us some unexpected wins.
Report Spam   Logged
PeterMartin08
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 28, 2017, 03:09:20 pm »

Looking at it perhaps overly simply, Gazi is Tavares' replacement.  Continuing in that vein, you replace someone who entered with 2 years at Monroe with someone entering with 2 years at DePaul.  That's just unvarnished fact, not a slam on Will, I expect with health he will be a more consistent plus this year.

That sounds right...but perhaps if we're relying on either, that doesn't bode well for the product on the floor regardless...

Sixteen years ago, the snowy hills of Tarnow were carved up by Shay Berry...and that regime ended up receiving (deserved) damnation from the four dozen chair backs. I'm curious to see how this Turkish experiment turns out. I wouldn't necessary buy these adds. I do not believe they move the needle towards respectability, particularly in a conference that will be much improved next year. If Pekarek, Gazi, Saglam are Players 8/9/10 and not 5/6/7 then I guess that's fine...

The statistical analysis against Gazi (illustrated earlier) is truly cringe worthy. One of the more unproductive players playing at this level...But I also won't rule out the potential chemistry with Havsa. Maybe there's something there, and that's an optimistic angle.
Report Spam   Logged

Any other team wins the World Series, good for them. They're drinking champagne, they get a ring. But if we win, on our budget, with this team... we'll have changed the game. And that's what I want. I want it to mean something. - Moneyball
ace93
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 28, 2017, 03:41:20 pm »

For 20+ years we have struggled to land quality (good and immediately qualified) talent and keep it. Some keep blaming the coach and others get angry if we talk about the elephant in the room.
Report Spam   Logged

Nothing replaces success in the revenue sports.  Nothing.  That's not to take away from the success in the Olympic sports - they do matter.  It isn't a replacement for success in the flagship sports. - Debbie Yow, AD - NC State
RamFan78
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 28, 2017, 03:56:33 pm »

For 20+ years we have struggled to land quality (good and immediately qualified) talent and keep it. Some keep blaming the coach and others get angry if we talk about the elephant in the room.

Not to mention the few years we have gotten talent, the coach couldn't coach and now that it appears we have a coach that can coach we can't get the talent.
Report Spam   Logged
NYRam07
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 28, 2017, 04:44:40 pm »

Not to mention the few years we have gotten talent, the coach couldn't coach and now that it appears we have a coach that can coach we can't get the talent.

I don't think that's fair. We've recruited talented players imo but we haven't hit those "on paper" homeruns we are all desperate to land. We may not have any Jon Severe type signings yet, but it appears to me we're building a team and we're developing players. I'll take that because, as you and others have said, we have a good coach.

I'm willing to set aside any panic/fear until midway through the season when we have a good sense of who we are as a team.
Report Spam   Logged
RamRunner12
Freshman

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 28, 2017, 04:54:58 pm »

The more I look into him the more I like this guy.  He really does have some athleticism.

The statistical analysis against Gazi (illustrated earlier) is truly cringe worthy. One of the more unproductive players playing at this level.

Tavares was mentioned, but short of Gazi being a total malcontent, I see our worst-case scenario being a longer, more athletic version of Zarko. We need impact players, but we've also got to upgrade across the board.

One thing that must be factored in is the graduating early and bolting.  If we sit 2 guys this year and they both keep on track academically, and only play just 1 season and then look to move as 5th year grad players, then it is a colossal mistake in my opinion. Unless we are making it quite clear up front that you wont get a release for a 5th year, signing a junior (s)  who will sit out a year is not a great idea, unless it is a major impact player.  These coaches are caught between a rock and a hard place with the transfer thing, but I wouldnt sign any juniors because they could screw you the most with the 5th year thing. I dont see either of these guys having the potential of being such a major impact player that they are worth this risk.

Agree that 2 years of scholarship for 1 year of competition is risky in principle, but don't most transfer students usually have trouble getting all their previous credits to count at their new school? Are there many instances where that transfer > sit > play > grad-transfer has happened?

If Gazi and Portley will be occupying ships that would not be going to difference-makers anyway, the extra year of scholarship doesn't feel like a risk at all.

Even if they graduated and immediately moved on, we'd get a season of play from experienced, D1 known commodities... basically a grad transfer situation. Possibly even better than a grad transfer since you have the kid in the program for 2 years. (And the flip side of the coin is that if they aren't working out by Year Two, graduation offers you an out to nudge someone along.)

Again, two in one year is more than I'd like, and not something I'd like to become common practice for us. But on a micro level, if we couldn't sign anyone else we really really liked as immediate help or a 3-4 year contributor -- a whole other can of worms -- I like this a lot more than our alternatives.

As of now, we still have 1 to give this year, and will have at least 3 next season... it's not like we're hamstrung by these adds. Now the staff needs to start hitting some doubles and triples with those slots.
Report Spam   Logged
ace93
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 28, 2017, 05:02:50 pm »

Agree that 2 years of scholarship for 1 year of competition is risky in principle, but don't most transfer students usually have trouble getting all their previous credits to count at their new school? Are there many instances where that transfer > sit > play > grad-transfer has happened?

In general or at Fordham? We have had very few transfers, so I assume you are asking in general. A bulk of the grad-transfers are guys who transferred into a school, sat, played a year or two, graduate and transferred out. Without having hard numbers, I think those are a majority and a greater number than those that graduate in 3 years.
Report Spam   Logged

kidfromny
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 28, 2017, 05:16:48 pm »

That's the right attitude. It increases the chances of being pleasantly surprised.

Fair enough. Just extremely frustrating. With more talent on the team JN could move the meter as he has shown himself to be someone who can coach. But it's been 3 years now, and recruiting has been lackluster. Just frustrating.
Report Spam   Logged
rambacker
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 28, 2017, 07:31:46 pm »

I don't think that's fair. We've recruited talented players imo but we haven't hit those "on paper" homeruns we are all desperate to land. We may not have any Jon Severe type signings yet, but it appears to me we're building a team and we're developing players. I'll take that because, as you and others have said, we have a good coach.

I'm willing to set aside any panic/fear until midway through the season when we have a good sense of who we are as a team.

+1.

As usual, a well reasoned position, 07. I agree completely.
Report Spam   Logged
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 28, 2017, 09:05:27 pm »

If Gazi and Portley will be occupying ships that would not be going to difference-makers anyway, the extra year of scholarship doesn't feel like a risk at all.

As to this year, I can see a definite risk, simply due to the number of bodies. We have just 10 schollie players.  3 coming off surgery.  Ohams, Bunting and Slanina could all foul  out in the first half if they play enough minutes. We are awfully thin up front and have a front line of extremely foul prone players. 2 extra bodies sitting out a year make it all the more thin. As to them being difference makers, they dont appear to be. That is the point. If you are going to sacrifice 2 bodies this year, they should be higher end players who are worth the wait. I dont see that in either of these guys. Hopefully, I am wrong, and I usually am. but these are not former big recruits transferring down from a major conference. Eating 2 ships this year for a couple of mid major guards seems ill advised. But alas, maybe we simply couldnt get anyone else.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2017, 09:32:58 pm by 85 » Report Spam   Logged
pjd
Junior

Tertullian - Model Levite Priest

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: June 28, 2017, 09:09:23 pm »

will be Pleased with 1 Big Man Afro
Report Spam   Logged
klb75119
Waterboy

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 28, 2017, 09:44:46 pm »

who can play
Report Spam   Logged
Richie68
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 28, 2017, 11:40:24 pm »

From a strictly analytic viewpoint based upon the players we had playing last year, the players we have lost and the lack of newcomers for the current year, I have to be somewhat pessimistic about the upcoming season, again, strictly from a logical projection looking at the other A-10 teams.

I do believe we have a very good game coach and a motivator for players to develop their talent.  Nevertheless, JN will have to be at the top of his game to get this crew to have a winning record in conference IMO.

I am hoping for some success this season, despite my expectations, as usual.  I'm sick of being disappointed.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: