fordhamfans.com
July 20, 2017, 12:38:08 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Gallery Login Register  

DePaul transfer Erten Gazi has committed to Fordham, per a source.

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: DePaul transfer Erten Gazi has committed to Fordham, per a source.  (Read 2984 times)
drunkle
Sophomore

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: June 29, 2017, 10:41:52 am »

That sounds right...but perhaps if we're relying on either, that doesn't bode well for the product on the floor regardless...

Sixteen years ago, the snowy hills of Tarnow were carved up by Shay Berry...and that regime ended up receiving (deserved) damnation from the four dozen chair backs. I'm curious to see how this Turkish experiment turns out. I wouldn't necessary buy these adds. I do not believe they move the needle towards respectability, particularly in a conference that will be much improved next year. If Pekarek, Gazi, Saglam are Players 8/9/10 and not 5/6/7 then I guess that's fine...

The statistical analysis against Gazi (illustrated earlier) is truly cringe worthy. One of the more unproductive players playing at this level...But I also won't rule out the potential chemistry with Havsa. Maybe there's something there, and that's an optimistic angle.

You gotta squint hard on the statistical analysis.  He's shot 25-38 from 2 on his career.  Even with an abysmal 6-27 from 3, his effective field goal percentage is .523.  That's better than Anderson, Hawkins, Chartouny last year, etc.  As you point out, his usage percentage was very low.  We know he can dunk, and most of his 2s were likely layups/dunks.  As for his 3 point shot, well, it's hard when you are shooting less than 1 per game to know anything, it's way too random and a very small sample size.  Same goes for his nice 2 point percentage.  But his glaring offensive deficiency is really turnovers.

As noted, you can't necessarily go by his turkish highlights (that sounds like Peter Graves in Airplane: "Have you ever seen Turkish highlights, Billy?").  Players make all their 3s in those.  But his form doesn't look bad.  We know he can jump.

Sometimes it takes young players a while to develop.   And as for the depth chart, well, i don't know how good Hicks really is, but right now I'd say those 3 you mention probably are 8, 9 and 10 for 2018-19 (9, 10, 11 if Chartouny comes back for year 4), unless Pekarek bounces back to end of season 2016 levels.  You'd have Havsa, Evans, Hicks and Portley in the back court, and Chartouny if he's back.  Slanina, Ohams and Bunting up front, so that's 7 or 8 guys ahead of them most likely, then Gazi, Pekarek and Saglam.  And that season is 16-17 months away.  There'll be other additions.

I actually see a guy with upside and at least a guy who will fit our defensive scheme, is 5th or 6th on the guard chart, but has length and could play some wing in a pinch.  Everyone wants a stud, sure.  I see limited downside and possible upside.  Welcome aboard.   
Report Spam   Logged
RamFan78
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 29, 2017, 10:47:25 am »

I don't think that's fair. We've recruited talented players imo but we haven't hit those "on paper" homeruns we are all desperate to land. We may not have any Jon Severe type signings yet, but it appears to me we're building a team and we're developing players. I'll take that because, as you and others have said, we have a good coach.

I'm willing to set aside any panic/fear until midway through the season when we have a good sense of who we are as a team.

I still believe a good coach can only get so much out of his talent. Look at last year, considering everything including some injuries, JN probably coached better than the PY when he had more wins with better talent/depth. This year he probably will coach his butt off again but I am not sure we have replaced the talent we lost specifically the 3 starters. We will see and it should be interesting but getting in a Gaston, Dunston type recruit would definitely make it more exciting given the fact that JN has showed he can coach.
Report Spam   Logged
ace93
Arbitrary and Capricious Administrator
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 29, 2017, 10:54:09 am »

I still believe a good coach can only get so much out of his talent. Look at last year, considering everything including some injuries, JN probably coached better than the PY when he had more wins with better talent/depth. This year he probably will coach his butt off again but I am not sure we have replaced the talent we lost specifically the 3 starters. We will see and it should be interesting but getting in a Gaston, Dunston type recruit would definitely make it more exciting given the fact that JN has showed he can coach.

How many here were excited when Dunston was signed? Most were talking about Michael Binns or Sebastian Greene. Similarly, nobody was talking about Marcus Stout. (ok, maybe "nobody" is a bit extreme)
Report Spam   Logged

Nothing replaces success in the revenue sports.  Nothing.  That's not to take away from the success in the Olympic sports - they do matter.  It isn't a replacement for success in the flagship sports. - Debbie Yow, AD - NC State
NYRam07
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 29, 2017, 11:30:26 am »

How many here were excited when Dunston was signed? Most were talking about Michael Binns or Sebastian Greene. Similarly, nobody was talking about Marcus Stout. (ok, maybe "nobody" is a bit extreme)

On the flip side... EVERYONE was all sorts of juiced up when we signed Severe. I understand the desire to sign that hype-train type guy but we've been burned before, and we've been surprised before. Havsa and Prokop were not heralded signings. no-one was excited about them joining the team. PS didn't exactly blow us away last year but I think he showed us that he has a lot to offer, and I'm expecting a big step forward this year. Havsa flat out shocked us last year and I think we'll see a significant develop with his game too.

I'm going to trust their scouting ability for now. I don't think we really have a reason to dismiss it yet.
Report Spam   Logged
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 29, 2017, 11:31:56 am »

I trust the coaches too....and would feel a lot more comfortable if these guys were coming in to play this season.....sitting out the year....not sure we can afford 2 guys out .......
Report Spam   Logged
97Ram
Sophomore

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 29, 2017, 11:33:04 am »

How about Mandell Thomas?  I recall people on this board having a very negative reaction to his signing, and he turned out to be one of our best players, and a real leader.  

I've also heard people saying that, even though Gazi is from a Big East school, he's not the same level as a transfer like Mo Curtis.  Although Curtis was phenomenal at Fordham, his performance at West Virginia didn't foreshadow is potential.  He played 3 games in 2 years at West Virginia (on teams that did not have winning records), and was far less a contributor than Gazi was at DePaul.  Bottom line -- give these kids a chance before you label them as not being a difference makers.    
Report Spam   Logged
LXRF
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 29, 2017, 12:06:54 pm »

How about Mandell Thomas?  I recall people on this board having a very negative reaction to his signing, and he turned out to be one of our best players, and a real leader.  

I've also heard people saying that, even though Gazi is from a Big East school, he's not the same level as a transfer like Mo Curtis.  Although Curtis was phenomenal at Fordham, his performance at West Virginia didn't foreshadow is potential.  He played 3 games in 2 years at West Virginia (on teams that did not have winning records), and was far less a contributor than Gazi was at DePaul.  Bottom line -- give these kids a chance before you label them as not being a difference makers.    

Great point about Mo at WVU. Terrific player for FU. Truncated time here though losing 1/2 season w broken hand & not getting dxtrsyear eligilbilith
Report Spam   Logged
NYRam07
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 29, 2017, 12:21:28 pm »

I trust the coaches too....and would feel a lot more comfortable if these guys were coming in to play this season.....sitting out the year....not sure we can afford 2 guys out .......

That's a good point. I'm assuming that the guys coming off surgery/injuries are healthy and they feel confident carrying these two guys for a year.

I know, I know... lots of assumptions on my part.
Report Spam   Logged
Kaup
Freshman

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 29, 2017, 12:26:18 pm »

Every time I read this thread I think the same thing.  Thomas, Curtis and, on the opposite end of the spectrum, Severe are examples of fans having no idea what recruiting entails.  We're frequently excited by signings that disappoint us on the floor, and pleasantly surprised by signings that are initially questioned at best.  And if a Google search doesn't reveal what we want to see or read, then we're ready to stage a coup d'etat.  Minus his transfers, this coach has not yet disappointed us with any of his recruits (jury is still out on Tavares) , and the Smith and Hardnett were still a good risk at the time.  Have a little faith in the judgement and ability to develop players this staff has demonstrated.  Understanding that most of his highlights were against mid majors, or in blowouts and garbage time, I still think Gazi will be pretty good.
Report Spam   Logged
John
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: June 29, 2017, 12:30:05 pm »

As noted, you can't necessarily go by his turkish highlights (that sounds like Peter Graves in Airplane: "Have you ever seen Turkish highlights, Billy?"). 

LOL. Thanks for brightening my day.  A lot of well-taken points here. When Dunston was signed, it was "yeah, but he plays in the lower division of the CHSAA". Mandel's signing was greeted by "who?"  Even Christian Sengfelder's signing was viewed with skepticism, since he signed late and wasn't heralded here.  As for the comparisons of Gazi to Mo Curtis, from one's keyboard to God's monitor.

What I do like about the recent signings is that we're getting some length on our guards, which is important in the A-10. In years past, we had lots of guards listed as 6-2, or 6-0, who were probably an inch or two shorter, and who had trouble with the physicality of A-10 play.

Remember, coaches are sort of betting their jobs when they sign kids. JN and Co. appear, at least, to be clear-eyed about the talent level needed to compete in the A-10, and he's placed a big emphasis on athleticism in his recruits.
Report Spam   Logged
drunkle
Sophomore

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 29, 2017, 12:38:10 pm »

On the flip side... EVERYONE was all sorts of juiced up when we signed Severe. I understand the desire to sign that hype-train type guy but we've been burned before, and we've been surprised before. Havsa and Prokop were not heralded signings. no-one was excited about them joining the team. PS didn't exactly blow us away last year but I think he showed us that he has a lot to offer, and I'm expecting a big step forward this year. Havsa flat out shocked us last year and I think we'll see a significant develop with his game too.

I'm going to trust their scouting ability for now. I don't think we really have a reason to dismiss it yet.

Slanina was the team's 2nd leading scorer per possession and per 40 minutes in conference last year, averaging 15 and 7.4.  Main thing with him is keeping him on the floor. And maybe fewer 3s.  Havsa led the team in effective field goal percentage in conference.  By a huge margin. Admittedly small sample.

They'll be deferring less.  I think they will be a big part of the offense.  Along with Chartouny.  And I expect a lot of drives and dishes by Havsa for some Ohams Slams!  And we'll see what Evans and Hicks can bring.  Last year's team was fairly putrid offensively despite the upper classmen.  Defense drove the team and I think we have the personnel to be good again at D, and I don't see how much worse we could be on offense.  Frankly I think we are overrating the guys who left somewhat because they took the shots.  Don't get me wrong, I wish they were back, but I expect PS and CH to be pretty good.  Ohams, too.  Hopefully his offensive game develops, but he was a good rebounder and defender.  
Report Spam   Logged
Vinseiro2
Freshman

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 29, 2017, 02:47:21 pm »

Every time I read this thread I think the same thing.  Thomas, Curtis and, on the opposite end of the spectrum, Severe are examples of fans having no idea what recruiting entails.  We're frequently excited by signings that disappoint us on the floor, and pleasantly surprised by signings that are initially questioned at best.  And if a Google search doesn't reveal what we want to see or read, then we're ready to stage a coup d'etat.  Minus his transfers, this coach has not yet disappointed us with any of his recruits (jury is still out on Tavares) , and the Smith and Hardnett were still a good risk at the time.  Have a little faith in the judgement and ability to develop players this staff has demonstrated.  Understanding that most of his highlights were against mid majors, or in blowouts and garbage time, I still think Gazi will be pretty good.

The issue with someone like Gazi is that his recruitment and signing appears to come after we whiffed on other recruits.  Do you think he was high up on our list of targets?  Do you think he's here if certain others sign on first?  Would you rather have him than any of the others we were linked to?  If our staff didn't have him as a priority (which I'm not sure about), then it doesn't say much about what they think about his abilities.

Report Spam   Logged
joeb
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: June 29, 2017, 04:11:25 pm »

I like the player. I wish he were 3 inches taller and immediately eligible. He looks to be strong quick and athletic with a good handle. Apparently he was on fraschillas radar when he signed 2 years ago.
Fran Fraschilla @franfraschilla

DePaul's Erten Gazi, 6-4 freshman from Turkey, will be a crowd favorite in time. Good athlete who can rise. 22 minutes a game, so far.

https://twitter.com/depaulathletics/status/673934870889013248
« Last Edit: June 29, 2017, 05:38:39 pm by joeb » Report Spam   Logged
LXRF
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: June 29, 2017, 04:15:52 pm »

The issue with someone like Gazi is that his recruitment and signing appears to come after we whiffed on other recruits.  Do you think he was high up on our list of targets?  Do you think he's here if certain others sign on first?  Would you rather have him than any of the others we were linked to?  If our staff didn't have him as a priority (which I'm not sure about), then it doesn't say much about what they think about his abilities.

When did he first become available this year?  If it was only recently it changes the assessment.
Report Spam   Logged
joeb
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: June 29, 2017, 04:17:15 pm »

He announced transfer in April
Report Spam   Logged
LXRF
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: June 29, 2017, 04:21:28 pm »

That's a good point. I'm assuming that the guys coming off surgery/injuries are healthy and they feel confident carrying these two guys for a year.

I know, I know... lots of assumptions on my part.

It's probably too early, from what I've heard, to make the assumption that the guys coming off injuries are ready to play.  We probably won't know their condition until late October at the earliest. 
Report Spam   Logged
RamRunner12
Freshman

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: June 29, 2017, 09:12:57 pm »

Maybe our staff liked him but were already close on Portley (and/or liked him more) and didn't want another scholarship tied up in a second transfer -- until we whiffed on our ready-to-play targets.

Maybe Gazi was entertaining offers from other schools before signing with us. Maybe he was sussing out if he even wanted to stay in the States. Maybe he's terrible and we're throwing him a lifeline to deepen our Turkish connection. Or because our staff is bad at evaluating talent.

Plenty of possible explanations. I think most of us, like you, are resigned to the fact that our desired course of action probably didn't include a 2nd transfer offering no guarantee of a major impact. And it seems like many folks are taking the late date of the signing to mean our staff is content to settle -- or, worse, is in "any warm body" desperation mode.

For the reasons drunkle mentioned -- especially that Gazi (like Portley) seems to be a good "system" fit as a 6'4" wing -- I'm not ready to read this signing as a white flag. Could end up being a really fruitful (albeit risky) Plan B.
Report Spam   Logged
fordham77
Sophomore

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: June 30, 2017, 03:29:26 pm »

When he gets onto the court and he steals the ball off an an opposing guard will that be a Gazie Strip?

Thanks,
John Sterling
Report Spam   Logged
El Jefe
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: June 30, 2017, 04:58:46 pm »

The Men's BB online roster has been updated.  Evans and Portley are included.  No mention of Gazi.  Saglam also is not listed.
Report Spam   Logged
Kaup
Freshman

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: July 05, 2017, 09:26:41 am »

Good questions for which I don't have answers.  Given the proliferation of fake news these days, and the track record of posters when it comes to recruiting news and evaluating talent, I'm not terribly concerned about how things have played out.  From what I saw on video, and knowing that he started 5 games as a freshman on a Big East team, I'm more optimistic about Gazi than I would be about most high school seniors and some potential transfers mentioned here.  We'll see.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: