fordhamfans.com
September 20, 2017, 05:15:33 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Gallery Login Register  

Next year's QB

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Next year's QB  (Read 1490 times)
PA Ram
Senior

View Profile
« on: July 05, 2017, 02:06:06 pm »

Who is Anderson's heir apparent?  Colton Smith, Jalen Ollie or Clayton Welsh? 
Report Spam   Logged

Social Buttons

NYRam07
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2017, 02:25:39 pm »

Or someone that isn't on the roster yet and will transfer in?
Report Spam   Logged
Touchdown17
Sophomore

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2017, 03:04:36 pm »

Luke Medlock transferred in from FIU..   on  FIU website listed him as a freshman.                                           
However on a SportsNation article it referred to him as a "redshirt" freshman.   https://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2015/3/24/8272131/florida-international-football-2015-preview-schedule-roster

would he qualify or ask PL for a 5th year eligibility?

I assume Smith has a slight edge over Ollie at the moment  as he appeared in 4 games last year and  Ollie  did not get any action. Ollie did however win multiple awards for scout team player of the week.     

As the previous poster mentioned   maybe a transfer or JUCO   could get a shot to win 2019 job. I think even a highly rated freshman would have trouble winning the job in summer camp (learning curve, comfort level with system etc).

The plus is we're a good program for a QB   we like to throw the rock downfield,  has to be appealing to a young gunslinger Smiley     

Report Spam   Logged
NYRam07
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2017, 03:51:35 pm »

Luke Medlock transferred in from FIU..   on  FIU website listed him as a freshman.                                           
However on a SportsNation article it referred to him as a "redshirt" freshman.   https://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2015/3/24/8272131/florida-international-football-2015-preview-schedule-roster

would he qualify or ask PL for a 5th year eligibility?

I assume Smith has a slight edge over Ollie at the moment  as he appeared in 4 games last year and  Ollie  did not get any action. Ollie did however win multiple awards for scout team player of the week.     

As the previous poster mentioned   maybe a transfer or JUCO   could get a shot to win 2019 job. I think even a highly rated freshman would have trouble winning the job in summer camp (learning curve, comfort level with system etc).

The plus is we're a good program for a QB   we like to throw the rock downfield,  has to be appealing to a young gunslinger Smiley     

Scout Team POTWAs aren't really an indicator of anything.. other than a great effort during the week and ensuring the defense/offense is getting a good look. I don't know what Ollie's chances are (maybe they're great) but I wouldn't consider this info when making an argument for him.
Report Spam   Logged
Madram
Freshman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2017, 12:16:22 pm »

Have we moved on to next season already? I'm still waiting for my tickets for this season
Report Spam   Logged
PA Ram
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2017, 02:05:12 pm »

Have we moved on to next season already? I'm still waiting for my tickets for this season

ha.  Good point.  I was wondering who Anderson's backup was and it made me look up the roster where I saw Medlock. I then noticed he's a senior as well so it made me wonder who next year's guy might be.  Wondering how the backups are developing and also curious about what we may have in the hopper for transfer as well. 
Report Spam   Logged
Madram
Freshman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2017, 05:22:45 pm »

ha.  Good point.  I was wondering who Anderson's backup was and it made me look up the roster where I saw Medlock. I then noticed he's a senior as well so it made me wonder who next year's guy might be.  Wondering how the backups are developing and also curious about what we may have in the hopper for transfer as well. 

It's July so any topic is fair game .. let's hope Anderson stays healthy and we don't need to find out who his replacement is
Report Spam   Logged
PA Ram
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2017, 10:03:16 pm »

It's July so any topic is fair game .. let's hope Anderson stays healthy and we don't need to find out who his replacement is

+1000

the only thing I'd add is that let's hope we're up so big in games that his backup gets a ton of time.
Report Spam   Logged
An Old Coach
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2017, 10:57:55 pm »

I would hope there is no heir apparent. I would want an open competition with the best player emerging after a good deal of scrutiny. As long as we avoid injury, our back up Qbs aren't going to see much time. They'll have to win the starting position by playing their rear ends off in camp next year.
Report Spam   Logged
RealDeal
Sophomore

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2017, 04:54:34 pm »

Open competition usually means you don't have A QB on your roster.
Report Spam   Logged
An Old Coach
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2017, 05:35:15 pm »

Open competition usually means you don't have A QB on your roster.

You're reading too many NFL previews.  This isn't the pro's.  In college, open competition means the best player will usually come to the top.
Report Spam   Logged
RealDeal
Sophomore

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2017, 06:31:19 pm »

You're reading too many NFL previews.  This isn't the pro's.  In college, open competition means the best player will usually come to the top.

If you say so, but if there was an obvious choice, this thread wouldn't exist.
Report Spam   Logged
An Old Coach
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2017, 08:11:58 pm »

If you say so, but if there was an obvious choice, this thread wouldn't exist.

I do.  How could there be an "obvious choice" among a couple of guys who will seldom play.   It's football.  It's about competition.  They should fight it out and the best player is the starter.
Report Spam   Logged
RealDeal
Sophomore

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2017, 09:04:23 am »

I do.  How could there be an "obvious choice" among a couple of guys who will seldom play.   It's football.  It's about competition.  They should fight it out and the best player is the starter.

Why state the incredibly obvious, when the merely obvious will do.  If a team has a QB there is no competition; works in law, business, education and I assume football.  But you are the expert.
Report Spam   Logged
An Old Coach
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2017, 10:04:59 am »

You really don't get this college football thing, do you?
Report Spam   Logged
RealDeal
Sophomore

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2017, 12:35:43 pm »

You really don't get this college football thing, do you?

I guess not. Have to brush up on my cliches and platitudes, or reserve that space for you. 
Report Spam   Logged
An Old Coach
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2017, 02:29:05 pm »

I guess not. Have to brush up on my cliches and platitudes, or reserve that space for you. 

"Open competition usually means you don't have A QB on your roster."

You mean like this one?
Report Spam   Logged
charlietags
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2017, 12:08:34 am »

The kid coming in from Fl is impressive and might give these guys a run for their money. At 6'4" he just needs to put on a few pounds IMO. He's only 180 now but give him another year and 2018 should be exciting.
Report Spam   Logged
Madram
Freshman

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2017, 11:22:51 am »

You never know who will emerge.. think back to when Carney graduated and everyone assumed there was an heir apparent. Eakin almost left school before coming out of nowhere as a junior and the rest is history...
Report Spam   Logged
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2017, 12:07:19 pm »

Or someone that isn't on the roster yet and will transfer in?

Ding ding!
Report Spam   Logged
Scott W 86
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2017, 12:22:40 pm »

Fordham has developed a reputation for offense and head coaching that are a QBs dream.  The model for being a great place to transfer in for a talented, yet underutilized, FBS OB is cast. 

I think we'll do this over and over until something in the formula changes.

It's important for the Fordham PR 'team'  to cast more light on Kevin A to send messages to other QBs in, or entering, D1  .... a great school, great program, great offense, great city, great coaches ... great place to relaunch your college career
« Last Edit: August 28, 2017, 04:29:41 pm by Scott W 86 » Report Spam   Logged
NYRam07
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 28, 2017, 02:36:01 pm »

Ding ding!

Nailed it!
Report Spam   Logged
JimboCBA72
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 28, 2017, 04:57:06 pm »

Fordham has developed a reputation for offense and head coaching that are a QBs dream.  The model for being a great place to transfer in for a talented, yet underutilized, FBS OB is cast. 

I think we'll do this over and over until something in the formula changes.

It's important for the Fordham PR 'team'  to cast more light on Kevin A to send messages to other QBs in, or entering, D1  .... a great school, great program, great offense, great city, great coaches ... great place to relaunch your college career

Scott: You're hired!  The 'team' now consists of you and the guy sitting behind a metal desk in the basement of the RHG, near where Mike Fleming washed our jocks and uniforms 😄
Report Spam   Logged
Scott W 86
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 28, 2017, 05:23:58 pm »

Scott: You're hired!  The 'team' now consists of you and the guy sitting behind a metal desk in the basement of the RHG, near where Mike Fleming washed our jocks and uniforms 😄

Hired for what Jimbo.... PR flack ... or QB recruiter?

Or in the Fordham tradition, both?
Dd
The QB recruiter has been doing well so I'll concentrate on PR!

« Last Edit: August 29, 2017, 12:42:23 am by Scott W 86 » Report Spam   Logged
Free the F 4
Freshman

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 28, 2017, 06:16:27 pm »

FLAMINGO! ONE OF THE ALL TIME CHARACTERS!  MANY A SUNDAY SPENT COLLECTING " GENTLEMANLY WAGERS " @ HIS OTHER HOME ON WEBSTER AVE. 
« Last Edit: August 29, 2017, 08:16:20 am by ace93 » Report Spam   Logged
JimboCBA72
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 28, 2017, 10:11:38 pm »

FLAMINGO! ONE OF THE ALL TIME CHARACTERS!  MANY A SUNDAY SPENT COLLECTING " GENTLEMANLY WAGERS " @ HIS OTHER HOME ON WEBSTER AVE. 

I heard that Mike is still with us and resides upstate.  It would be great to have him back for a game. He told me months before it became official that Phelps was leaving. He also got me into many a Rangers game by palming a $20 as he gave his ticket to the usher. "One behind me" in that brogue of his😄
« Last Edit: August 29, 2017, 08:16:43 am by ace93 » Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: