fordhamfans.com
July 20, 2017, 12:38:01 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Gallery Login Register  

Rothstein's A-10 Offseason Notebook

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Rothstein's A-10 Offseason Notebook  (Read 872 times)
RoRam
Sophomore

View Profile
« on: July 10, 2017, 09:06:58 am »

Rothstein has us ranked last in the conference.

https://www.fanragsports.com/cbb/rothstein-files-atlantic-10-offseason-notebook/
Report Spam   Logged

“We didn’t get blown out of many games in the Atlantic 10. … I can see it coming.”

-Tom Pecora

Social Buttons

alanccrx
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2017, 09:20:28 am »

Given Fordham's recruiting (or lack thereof), being ranked last sounds about right....
Report Spam   Logged
shortshot
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2017, 09:28:00 am »

Is this the 1st year he gets it right on a JN coached team? I'm not a betting man but if I was I would bet against it.
Report Spam   Logged
PeterMartin08
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2017, 10:09:30 am »

Rothstein was tremendous in Boiler Room.

Report Spam   Logged

Any other team wins the World Series, good for them. They're drinking champagne, they get a ring. But if we win, on our budget, with this team... we'll have changed the game. And that's what I want. I want it to mean something. - Moneyball
Kaup
Freshman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2017, 11:19:37 am »

Given Fordham's recruiting (or lack thereof), being ranked last sounds about right....
How do you figure?
Report Spam   Logged
John
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2017, 11:20:19 am »

Yeah, well, lose 3 starters, recruit no replacements, then your entire recruiting haul consists of two kids who slumped in their sophomore seasons in the MAAC and at the bottom of the Big East, and who won't be available until the 2018-19 season -- yeah, hard to generate much preseason excitement with that.
Report Spam   Logged
ace93
Arbitrary and Capricious Administrator
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2017, 11:24:37 am »

Yeah, well, lose 3 starters, recruit no replacements, then your entire recruiting haul consists of two kids who slumped in their sophomore seasons in the MAAC and at the bottom of the Big East, and who won't be available until the 2018-19 season -- yeah, hard to generate much preseason excitement with that.

You are forgetting Tre Evans.
Report Spam   Logged

Nothing replaces success in the revenue sports.  Nothing.  That's not to take away from the success in the Olympic sports - they do matter.  It isn't a replacement for success in the flagship sports. - Debbie Yow, AD - NC State
John
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2017, 11:34:18 am »

You are forgetting Tre Evans.

I stand corrected. But he's just one addition. We lost three starters from a 19-loss team.

I'm not saying we'll stink -- there's certainly a chance of that if we get bitten by the injury bug again -- but we'll need big improvements from 3 or 4 returnees to make any noise in the conference this year. I guess we'll know better when practice starts.
Report Spam   Logged
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2017, 11:37:16 am »

Its a crap shoot. 3 guys off surgery and a few guys who showed very brief glimpses of the potential to be very good (Bunting/Havsa/Ohams). But each needs a quantum leap this year.  This one is near impossible to predict....i could see us .500 or dead last. ....... so dead last is probably the safe bet for a reporter, especially with two guys sitting out, short bench of injury and very foul prone prone players.......can understand the prediction....
Report Spam   Logged
kidfromny
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2017, 12:38:19 pm »

I agree. On paper that would be an accurate projection. Albeit just a projection.
Report Spam   Logged
Rich93
Class of 93
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2017, 01:06:31 pm »

I seem to remember people defending Rothstein picking us 303 in the nation our first year but I will concede this is not as egregious as that but it is still a superficial analysis.  I do not think we finish last but it is more likely that we finish bottom 4 this year than any other year so that fraud is of course not going to think about his ranking.  We will finish above Duquesne and George Mason.  Next up to get out of the pig are UMASS and GW.  Interested to see how Richmond handles the loss of Cline and Jones.  Buckingham is a really good player but those losses rival ours as their entire offense was run through those two guys.  Next up is how Lasalle deals with losing Price and Roberts.  Not as big losses as we or Richmond had but no walk in the park either.

Have a good summer hit them straight.   
Report Spam   Logged

WINNING MATTERS
acrammer
Freshman

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2017, 01:38:41 pm »

I think I'm in the minority here but I expect us to be better then next season and the reason I say that is I think our shooting should improve dramatically.  We are essentially replacing Hawkins and Anderson with Evans and Hicks.  While I think we may miss their athleticism and ability to get to the hoop, the three point shooting of Hicks and Evans will shine in Neubauer's offense.  I'm also very high on Havsa.  Watching videos of him play with the Turkish U-20 things makes me feel like his confidence is sky high right now and his shooting has looked great as well.  Don't underestimate his ability to create next year.

I think the X factor next year will be if either Ohams, Pekarek, or Tavares can step into that 4 role and really shine.  Ohams defensive intensity is fantastic and his passing is underrated but he really needs to improve his shot.  While Pekarek and Tavares have shown flashes of being great all around players but lack consistency. 

Lastly, as long as everyone stays healthy I feel like this team has a much deeper bench in years past.  There will be some real talent outside the starting 5.  Take a look at the two lineups below.

First Unit
G- Havsa
G- Chartouny
G- Hicks
F - Ohams
F - Slanina

Second Unit
G - Zarkovic
G - Evans
G - Taveres
F - Pekarek
F - Bunting

Report Spam   Logged
rambacker
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2017, 02:25:24 pm »

I think I'm in the minority here but I expect us to be better then next season and the reason I say that is I think our shooting should improve dramatically.  We are essentially replacing Hawkins and Anderson with Evans and Hicks.  While I think we may miss their athleticism and ability to get to the hoop, the three point shooting of Hicks and Evans will shine in Neubauer's offense.  I'm also very high on Havsa.  Watching videos of him play with the Turkish U-20 things makes me feel like his confidence is sky high right now and his shooting has looked great as well.  Don't underestimate his ability to create next year.

I think the X factor next year will be if either Ohams, Pekarek, or Tavares can step into that 4 role and really shine.  Ohams defensive intensity is fantastic and his passing is underrated but he really needs to improve his shot.  While Pekarek and Tavares have shown flashes of being great all around players but lack consistency. 

Lastly, as long as everyone stays healthy I feel like this team has a much deeper bench in years past.  There will be some real talent outside the starting 5.  Take a look at the two lineups below.

First Unit
G- Havsa
G- Chartouny
G- Hicks
F - Ohams
F - Slanina

Second Unit
G - Zarkovic
G - Evans
G - Taveres
F - Pekarek
F - Bunting

There will be another player added to the roster soon.
Report Spam   Logged
RAM71
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2017, 02:40:45 pm »

On paper, I cannot disagree with this prediction. In addition to Rothstein, I recently saw two other predictions that had us last.
Report Spam   Logged
pjd
Junior

Tertullian - Model Levite Priest

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2017, 04:24:20 pm »

Afro
Report Spam   Logged
acrammer
Freshman

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2017, 04:35:25 pm »

There will be another player added to the roster soon.

Any hints?  Big?  Overseas?
Report Spam   Logged
drunkle
Sophomore

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2017, 05:06:48 pm »

A safe prediction but the media had us picked lower than our finish 2 years running.  An even safer bet is we wont finish last. Just dont know which team's we beat out.  I also think we will actually be better this year despite the loss of starters. 
Report Spam   Logged
LXRF
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2017, 07:26:08 pm »

First Unit
G- Havsa
G- Chartouny
G- Hicks
F - Ohams
F - Slanina

Second Unit
G - Zarkovic
G - Evans
G - Taveres
F - Pekarek
F - Bunting

I think you're on to something.  We have a lot more players coming back, more depth than any time in memory, who have had a chance to play with each. And we have several young players who showed some talent which could possibly fully develop this season.  No way we should be last in A-10 this season.
Report Spam   Logged
John
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2017, 09:44:57 pm »

Any hints?  Big?  Overseas?

A Turkish kid named Stai Tooned.
Report Spam   Logged
drunkle
Sophomore

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2017, 09:22:03 am »

Any relation to this guy? His long lost Turkish cousin? Twice removed?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bernard_Toone

Report Spam   Logged
Chaka001
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2017, 09:52:01 am »

A Turkish kid named Stai Tooned.

John,
Hilarious.

Without questions, you are one of if not the funniest poster on here.  Keep it up!

Chaka
Report Spam   Logged
DamnRam
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2017, 11:59:55 am »

...but the media had us picked lower than our finish 2 years running.

I'm okay with this kind of scenario.  It makes it that much more satisfying when Fordham beats expectations.
Report Spam   Logged
drunkle
Sophomore

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 11, 2017, 04:13:32 pm »

I'm okay with this kind of scenario.  It makes it that much more satisfying when Fordham beats expectations.

Only beat expectations slightly last year.  Picked 11th, finished 10th.  But after the non-conference and starting 0-3, finishing 10th wasn't as bad as the 1-15 or so season some were projecting at 0-3.  And when we got to 7-8 at one point there looked like  chance for more.

In 2015-16 picked 14th, finished 8th.   First division this year. Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: