fordhamfans.com
July 20, 2017, 12:38:36 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Gallery Login Register  

Ivan Raut signs with Fordham

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ivan Raut signs with Fordham  (Read 1866 times)
joeb
Junior

View Profile
« on: July 11, 2017, 08:19:31 pm »

Ivan (the) Raut (is on) signs with Fordham. He's from Montenegro and has played in spain with unicaja Malaga. Seems ultra under the radar. While he is 6-7 he is another shooter. Sounds like he may have had visa issue and there is more info on him from 2015.
Unicaja Malaga
"Usually a great team, Unicaja did not leave a great impression during the tournament. With the same recipe as always, full court press and high level of defensive activity, Unicaja’s team has less talented players than other years. Their most interesting guy is Ivan Raut (’98), a 6’7 swingman from Montenegro. Raut did not show a steady game, alternating bad games with good performances. He averaged 12 points and 2.2 rebounds per game and solid percentage from the arc, 42.8%, even though he did not take a lot of shots."
Eurohopes.com 12/26/15
Report Spam   Logged

Social Buttons

Bay Ridge
Freshman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2017, 08:23:09 pm »

It's my understanding that there is one more coming
Report Spam   Logged
ramfan01
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2017, 08:33:25 pm »

It's my understanding that there is one more coming

Which would exceed 13 ships unless someone else is leaving.
Report Spam   Logged
RAM71
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2017, 08:59:10 pm »

Which would exceed 13 ships unless someone else is leaving.

I don't think they would have posted any player on the new roster if he was leaving.
Report Spam   Logged
UpstateRam
Freshman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2017, 09:10:12 pm »

Sinan Saglam is no longer listed on the roster. I see 11 scholarship players on the roster, plus Raut makes 12. Room for one more.
Report Spam   Logged
ramfan01
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2017, 09:14:16 pm »

Sinan Saglam is no longer listed on the roster. I see 11 scholarship players on the roster, plus Raut makes 12. Room for one more.

Saglam was not on ship.  I'm guessing the Turkish guy is from Depaul is not listed yet either, which makes 13.
Report Spam   Logged
RAM71
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2017, 09:15:35 pm »

Saglam was not on ship.  I'm guessing the Turkish guy is from Depaul is not listed yet either, which makes 13.

Correct. Ertan Gazi is not yet listed.
Report Spam   Logged
joeb
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2017, 11:12:33 pm »

Looks like Montenegro plays turkey this Saturday. Interesting.
https://basketballcl.com/europe/u20/2017/Montenegro
Report Spam   Logged
PeterMartin08
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2017, 12:03:07 am »

As I mentioned in a prior post, the best case scenario is that this e.eur/balkan run leads to team unity/chemistry intangible...although that may also hurt a 'team' dynamic and cause an internal split. We've seen that before here. IMO, this just smells a lot like Luka Zivkovic, but I'll reserve judgement.

Chartouny, Havsa, Hicks, Evans, Chuba, Slanina is a competitive six.

In regards to the Rothstein prediction thread, F it. Last, second to last, third to last, it's all the same. Squabbling over defining what a 'bad' season is a waste of time. The A10 looks very strong on paper, go win 16 games if you want to make a statement. Otherwise, the Fordham basement forecasts are fair. The desire to "beat" the forecast by a couple seeds is loser talk. Expect to win. Go win.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2017, 12:22:30 am by PeterMartin08 » Report Spam   Logged

Any other team wins the World Series, good for them. They're drinking champagne, they get a ring. But if we win, on our budget, with this team... we'll have changed the game. And that's what I want. I want it to mean something. - Moneyball
ace93
Arbitrary and Capricious Administrator
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2017, 12:52:16 am »

As I mentioned in a prior post, the best case scenario is that this e.eur/balkan run leads to team unity/chemistry intangible...although that may also hurt a 'team' dynamic and cause an internal split. We've seen that before here. IMO, this just smells a lot like Luka Zivkovic, but I'll reserve judgement.

In regards to the Rothstein prediction thread, F it. Last, second to last, third to last, it's all the same. Squabbling over defining what a 'bad' season is a waste of time. The A10 looks very strong on paper, go win 16 games if you want to make a statement. Otherwise, the Fordham basement forecasts are fair. The desire to "beat" the forecast by a couple seeds is loser talk. Expect to win. Go win.

Zivkovic played high school basketball in Indiana. There was a good bit of info on him. I know nothing about Raut, but then again I knew nothing of Sengfelder either.
Report Spam   Logged

Nothing replaces success in the revenue sports.  Nothing.  That's not to take away from the success in the Olympic sports - they do matter.  It isn't a replacement for success in the flagship sports. - Debbie Yow, AD - NC State
PeterMartin08
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2017, 10:58:46 am »

Raut below

https://goo.gl/images/XUwtYG
and
https://goo.gl/images/g9RQuz
Report Spam   Logged

Any other team wins the World Series, good for them. They're drinking champagne, they get a ring. But if we win, on our budget, with this team... we'll have changed the game. And that's what I want. I want it to mean something. - Moneyball
SIram
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2017, 11:10:07 am »

Welcome to Fordham Ivan

I look forward to learning more about your abilities and hope that you have a great career at Fordham
Report Spam   Logged
97Ram
Sophomore

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2017, 11:20:23 am »

Happy to see we landed a guy who at least has some height.  I'm not going to get super excited or disappointed until we see him play.  Hopefully he will be a pleasant surprise.  As Ace noted, we didn't know anything about Sengfelder, and he turned out to be pretty good.  Same can be said for Slanina and Havsa.  Unlike here in the USA, there aren't a plethora of so called experts and scouts in Europe who are pumping up kids on social media.  So, in my opinion, the lack of reports on this kid aren't a red flag.     
Report Spam   Logged
Battering Ram
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2017, 11:23:05 am »

I'm not going to get super excited or disappointed until we see him play.
Whoa!!!  You have no business posting on this board with an attitude like that.  Wink
Report Spam   Logged
klb75119
Waterboy

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2017, 12:11:57 pm »

Needs to get with Willie Cruz ASAP
Report Spam   Logged
PeterMartin08
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2017, 12:33:34 pm »

Yeah? How are the Cruz visits going for Slanina, Pekarek, Havsa and Zarkovic? Would prefer to avoid the Balkan U-20 volleyball team look.

Portley is extremely underweight as well, I'm not sure he's 153 pounds. Hicks has more of the Bevon Robin build. Chartouny is built. Evans will come in heavier, I'll hold to the prediction that he'll be our best player/top scorer with Chartouny APG going up. Bunting has muscle. Chuba could be a Maurice Curtis with a big offseason.
Report Spam   Logged

John
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2017, 12:47:34 pm »

Welcome, Ivan.
Report Spam   Logged
acrammer
Freshman

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2017, 01:31:25 pm »

Yeah? How are the Cruz visits going for Slanina, Pekarek, Havsa and Zarkovic? Would prefer to avoid the Balkan U-20 volleyball team look.

These guys are young and some of their bodies mature later then others.  For those interested, I advise they check out Willie Cruz's twitter feed.  Always posting pictures of workouts with the team.  As for Havsa, he's put on 20 lbs since enrolling at Fordham.  That's a lot of mass for a small guy.

https://twitter.com/CoachCruz4/status/858048716015620096
Report Spam   Logged
Chaka001
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2017, 01:49:09 pm »

Not that the physique is everything but lets face it the better programs tend to have guys that are bigger, faster and stronger. 

We already have our challenges when it comes to getting top talent so at least I would hope we can lessen the gap that we may lose in talent tohvaing guys that are doing everything they can to succeed that does not require talent.
be in better shape than the competition
get faster and out hustle on a nonstop basis
play smarter

As long as JN puts the kids in the best position possible and the kids work their tails off, that is about all you can do until the thoroughbreds arrive.
Report Spam   Logged
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2017, 01:54:47 pm »

Please enough with the willie cruz stuff. You dont need to be a musclebound guy to be a great basketball player, especially a shooter.  Lets see what he does before declaring he is too weak to compete. Chuba Ohams is rail thin and completely shut down Moe Allie Cox last year. Not everyone can sport the muscular physique of a Joe B.

Agree with Peter on Chuba. He was really good last year and to use one of the oldest and most over-used cliches in sports, he played within himself. Never forced it on offensive end, played a vital role of rebounding and defense. Now if the offense comes and the fouls cut down, could be a really good A-10 player.
Report Spam   Logged
LXRF
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2017, 01:55:22 pm »

Look forward to seeing Ivan on the court.  He's about as off the radar screen as imaginable, but he played for a team that emphasized D like JN does, he shot for a high %, and he apparently had high and low games that the coaching staff sees as a chance to turn into more highs. In short: a 2017 Ram diamond in the rough.
Report Spam   Logged
drunkle
Sophomore

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2017, 03:39:34 pm »

We return 7 of our top 8 guys in steal% and steals per 40 (out of anyone who played significant minutes).  With the core you mention we still should be demons at turning other teams over.  And hopefully adding Evans and Hicks into the mix with Chartouny and Havsa from deep we'll have plenty of 3 and D.

A-10 Talk picks Fordham last as well (they put Bonnies first and I gotta say it may be their year).  On paper i get it, but I think there's a lot more talent coming back than folks realize.  A lot of these guys got blooded in some big A-10 wins when others were down.  I mean, UMass, Dukes, Billikens, sure, they add some newbies with press clippings, but they have been worse than Fordham in conference 2 years running.  Saint Joe's wasn't that good early last year before its guys went down.  And the big boys lost some damn good players.  It's pretty wide open this year even if there'll be more league wide parity.  And sure you need talent but it ain't played on paper.  8-10 2 years ago was a step up. 7-11 this year was disappointing but after that start, sheesh.  I get it. Don't aim low.  Gotta get over .500.

Have to see what Raut adds, but I'm starting to cotton to the rest of the team.   
Report Spam   Logged
shortshot
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2017, 04:54:53 pm »

I don't think we will see much of Ivan early on unless we are in blow outs. JN likes to bring freshman along slowly. If he has real talent we should start to see more of him in A10 play.
Report Spam   Logged
Scott W 86
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 12, 2017, 05:20:51 pm »

"Balkan Chemistry" ... Students of history cringe at that chemistry!

Let's hope those century old grudges stay in that region  Wink
Report Spam   Logged
klb75119
Waterboy

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 12, 2017, 06:01:08 pm »

Most of the Balkan states are now members of NATO so there should no hostilities but those old tribal feud die hard
Report Spam   Logged
PeterMartin08
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 12, 2017, 06:13:03 pm »

We return 7 of our top 8 guys in steal% and steals per 40 (out of anyone who played significant minutes).  With the core you mention we still should be demons at turning other teams over.  And hopefully adding Evans and Hicks into the mix with Chartouny and Havsa from deep we'll have plenty of 3 and D.

Sounds on point. That turnover/3 and d concoction will create problems for many teams, just as it did last year. Guard play will be up a notch possibly two tiers if Havsa makes another leap. IMO, the development of Chuba will be the difference of a 12-win or 16-win group.

Sorry to hype Evans, I just have a feeling he's the real McCoy. I'm buying Evans/Hicks stock, aggressively. Evans arrival is good news for Chartouny's pro career to come, and I think he was sold on that.

Overall, optimistic about this roster and expect a cluster of W's before conference play - and we better, this A10 is not d***ing around in 2018.
Report Spam   Logged

RamFan78
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 12, 2017, 07:05:28 pm »

Sounds on point. That turnover/3 and d concoction will create problems for many teams, just as it did last year. Guard play will be up a notch possibly two tiers if Havsa makes another leap. IMO, the development of Chuba will be the difference of a 12-win or 16-win group.

Sorry to hype Evans, I just have a feeling he's the real McCoy. I'm buying Evans/Hicks stock, aggressively. Evans arrival is good news for Chartouny's pro career to come, and I think he was sold on that.

Overall, optimistic about this roster and expect a cluster of W's before conference play - and we better, this A10 is not d***ing around in 2018.

Not ready to predict wins or losses until we see full schedule. Last I saw in other thread on schedule still some blanks need to be filled in.
Report Spam   Logged
vinnys
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 12, 2017, 10:15:42 pm »

considering the number of injuries we had last season, maybe the emphasis should be on durability, a major concern in my opinion
Report Spam   Logged
John
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 13, 2017, 12:00:27 am »

Durability is a bit of an intangible. I'm sure we've all seen some amazing athletes undone by his or her body. I suspect next year the Rams will be waging a tough, rough, sometimes dirty battle below the letters rather than above the rim.

Whatever works, eh?
Report Spam   Logged
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 13, 2017, 07:23:33 am »

Toss in the flu bug last year and it was a rough one all around for the trainers and Dr. Zamboni.  Hopefully it was an odd one-off.

We definitely need some conisstent scoring from the wing without Sengfelder and hopfefully, Raut can fill that role. Taveres seemed much better wehn he started taking ball to the rim.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: