fordhamfans.com
October 22, 2017, 02:15:36 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Gallery Login Register  

2017 Predictions

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 2017 Predictions  (Read 1963 times)
PA Ram
Senior

View Profile
« on: July 26, 2017, 10:53:07 am »

ever the optimist, I'm going to go with a 9 - 2 season, a PL title with first round home playoff game.  Our only losses in this scenario will be against Army and Eastern Washington.  The challenging OOC schedule will set us up to run the table in the PL.  Staying healthy, finding the last piece of the OL and a completely revamped mindset on D are the keys to my optimism but if any of those 3 areas come up short we could be in for a disappointing season versus an improved PL and a tough OOC.  Add in that we will have to hold strong versus an expected 1 - 2 start.

Can't wait for the season to get here.  Let's hear those predictions!

2017 Fordham Football Schedule

9/1/2017 - Army - LOSS

9/9/2017 - Central Connecticut State University - WIN

9/16/2017  - Eastern Washington University - LOSS

9/23/2017 - Bryant University - WIN

9/30/2017 - Yale University - WIN

10/7/2017 - Lafayette College - WIN

10/14/2017 - Colgate University - WIN

10/21/2017 - Georgetown University - WIN

10/28/2017 - Lehigh University - WIN

11/4/2017 -  Holy Cross - WIN

11/18/2017 - Bucknell University - WIN

Details
Report Spam   Logged

Social Buttons

toby
Freshman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2017, 11:11:48 am »

Fair assessment.

If the team stays healthy, I believe this could be quite a memorable season.  Offense is loaded and the defense is a year-older, with a great mix of underclassmen and upperclassmen leadership - underrated within the league.

More concerned about game 1 at this point.  An EWU win could set-up nicely for an at-large if needed, although, goal is the PL Championship.

Any word on what the Athletic Department is doing to market the team this year?  One of the top football players at any-level is playing in the largest media market...  Let's get folks out in-force this year.

Report Spam   Logged
Touchdown17
Sophomore

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2017, 12:27:49 pm »

I like the 9-2 prediction.  I was hoping we could steal a W  vs  either Army or EW @ home.                                    imo Lehigh and Colgate (always tough) will be our primary competition for the PL title.   

OL  Coyle,  Hartman  Lombard  Donaldson    with    Deya  Solano, Nevonte    battling for 5th starters role 
Our WR's should be good   Lumley , Caddle   Longi (slot)   perhaps start caddle outside so both him and Longi can be on field at same time. 
I believe when our new DC  was @ Bucknell they played a  4-2-5 alignment.  curious if he'll bring that philosophy here.  as usual much will depend on our D.  our LBs and DB are experienced.  can our DL rise to the challenge?  glad  to have Manny and Fox back.. 

we have a few players missing from last year roster.  assume left team or injured   Ginn  DB  Long DB    DE Nockett

hopefully summer camp a few of the freshman will surprise and can crack the  2 deep.   My money is on WR Elzayat and DE   Carter     just a guess     

We'll score a lot of points, can we defend.    Wink
Report Spam   Logged
NYRam07
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2017, 12:47:18 pm »

I have a feeling the defense will be much improved this year. I wouldn't be surprised if we make the Army and EWU games very close. We'll score and unlike last year, our defense will keep us in the games.
Report Spam   Logged
98ramgrad
Freshman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2017, 01:44:38 pm »

8-4...no post season.
I good record, but not a good season.
Report Spam   Logged
ramrayII
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2017, 01:56:46 pm »

I will guess 8-3.  Not sure of a post season.  Losses to EWU, Army and one other team that will catch us off guard.   
Report Spam   Logged
FU lifer
Waterboy

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2017, 03:51:44 pm »

I believe 9-2. We will beat either Army or EWU. Get Upset by a PL team. If we finally tackle and play some defense we can run the table. Coach in his second year and Chase in his last should equal offensive fireworks. I pray the student body supports what can be a great experience. If we can win 2 games in the playoffs, and Chase gets drafted in the 3rd or 4th round it will give us great momentum. The glass is half full, Let's Go Fordham!
Report Spam   Logged
Free the F 4
Freshman

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2017, 04:19:45 pm »

Tough to go 8-4 in a 11 game season Grin
Report Spam   Logged
jimbo65
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2017, 04:33:15 pm »

My guess, 9-2, which would be great, 10-1 exceptional, 8-3 good. We are getting spoiled. To me, key is winning one game versus Army, EWU & Lehigh. Best chance Lehigh, second best EWU. This Army team is a stretch unless they had  lotsa losses to graduation. Before someone calls me out my other "person A" is Captain Obvious".
Report Spam   Logged
Richie68
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2017, 06:00:31 pm »

I believe 9-2. We will beat either Army or EWU. Get Upset by a PL team. If we finally tackle and play some defense we can run the table. Coach in his second year and Chase in his last should equal offensive fireworks. I pray the student body supports what can be a great experience. If we can win 2 games in the playoffs, and Chase gets drafted in the 3rd or 4th round it will give us great momentum. The glass is half full, Let's Go Fordham!

I agree with this prediction wholeheartedly.  9-2 with an upset over Army or EWU and a loss to a Patriot League team somewhere along the line.
Report Spam   Logged
Rambow
Sophomore

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2017, 06:32:20 pm »

9/1/2017 - Army - WIN

9/16/2017  - Eastern Washington University - WIN

10/28/2017 - Lehigh University - LOSS

I'm going with 10-1, with a loss in the PL, probably to Lehigh, but maybe to Bucknell.  (Why Bucknell?  Because they always seem to give us trouble.)
Report Spam   Logged
PA Ram
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2017, 12:47:55 pm »

My thoughts on the D.

I think Max Roberts has PL DPOY potential down the road.  What he did as a true frosh LB who was thrust into playing as an undersized DE due to injuries was amazing imo.  Staff moving him back to LB which means that between him, Thorpe, Fitzgerald should make our LB crew one of the best we've had in a long time (and we've had good LB's, so that's saying something).  Very little depth, though, so let's hope they stay healthy and/or the guys behind them or incoming freshmen develop.  Nonetheless, I think the new staff has some great players to work with at LB.

On the inside of the DL, the return of Adeyeye and Fox with Angeli backing them up and hopefully a beefed guy like Ware there as well.  Ty Green back at one DE spot but who will win the other one?  That's where Roberts played so well last year that it's tough to not put him there again since he played so tough and gave us a good pass rush.  Filling that spot will be big imo and I'm wondering if one of the frosh steps in there (Carter?).  Nonetheless, DL should be a strength for us as well.

To me then, the secondary is where our D will be made or broken.  We have played such soft coverage the past few years that it's been tough to watch and you just always have that feeling in the pit of your stomach like teams have huge gaps to throw into on 3rd long and we always seemed to be giving it up.  If Coach can bring that Bucknell mentality here you'll see much more physicality from our DB's which helps with run support and just overall excellent play from their DB's.  I think we have talent there with Ham, Menyah, Jackson and Maybin.  Hopefully the staff coaches them up and the new philosophies will produce a big improvement.  If so, it will be a very fun year imo and we will be in every game.  If not, all bets are off.
Report Spam   Logged
Madram
Sophomore

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2017, 06:18:45 am »

Any word on what the Athletic Department is doing to market the team this year?  One of the top football players at any-level is playing in the largest media market...  Let's get folks out in-force this year.

[/quote]

This is an interesting point and so far I've seen nothing. If I were in charge of marketing I would make a serious push to get chase invited to the heisman finalist list. Nope I'm not crazy we've seen it with Steve McNair , I remember Gordy lockbaum from holy cross also. Fact is he's the best player in fcs an all time record breaker by the time the season ends.

While I in no way ever believe he would win , I think the school can get a lot of publicity by running a "get chase to the downtown athletic club " type of promotion . Get Fordhams name out there . You would be supposed on how the story would grow legs .
Report Spam   Logged
98ramgrad
Freshman

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2017, 09:34:26 am »

This is an interesting point and so far I've seen nothing. If I were in charge of marketing I would make a serious push to get chase invited to the heisman finalist list. Nope I'm not crazy we've seen it with Steve McNair , I remember Gordy lockbaum from holy cross also. Fact is he's the best player in fcs an all time record breaker by the time the season ends.

While I in no way ever believe he would win , I think the school can get a lot of publicity by running a "get chase to the downtown athletic club " type of promotion . Get Fordhams name out there . You would be supposed on how the story would grow legs .
Report Spam   Report to moderator     Logged

Madram:

Not the craziest idea...It is in NYC at a place with Fordham connectioncs...You can pitch it to the org in several ways.  I believe the trophy itself was modeled on a former Fordham football player...You could try...trophy looking to return home angle (even though I know Chase wont win).  It would be a cool story.
Report Spam   Logged
ace93
Arbitrary and Capricious Administrator
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2017, 09:58:33 am »

My thoughts on the D.

I think Max Roberts has PL DPOY potential down the road.  What he did as a true frosh LB who was thrust into playing as an undersized DE due to injuries was amazing imo.  Staff moving him back to LB which means that between him, Thorpe, Fitzgerald should make our LB crew one of the best we've had in a long time (and we've had good LB's, so that's saying something).  Very little depth, though, so let's hope they stay healthy and/or the guys behind them or incoming freshmen develop.  Nonetheless, I think the new staff has some great players to work with at LB.

On the inside of the DL, the return of Adeyeye and Fox with Angeli backing them up and hopefully a beefed guy like Ware there as well.  Ty Green back at one DE spot but who will win the other one?  That's where Roberts played so well last year that it's tough to not put him there again since he played so tough and gave us a good pass rush.  Filling that spot will be big imo and I'm wondering if one of the frosh steps in there (Carter?).  Nonetheless, DL should be a strength for us as well.

To me then, the secondary is where our D will be made or broken.  We have played such soft coverage the past few years that it's been tough to watch and you just always have that feeling in the pit of your stomach like teams have huge gaps to throw into on 3rd long and we always seemed to be giving it up.  If Coach can bring that Bucknell mentality here you'll see much more physicality from our DB's which helps with run support and just overall excellent play from their DB's.  I think we have talent there with Ham, Menyah, Jackson and Maybin.  Hopefully the staff coaches them up and the new philosophies will produce a big improvement.  If so, it will be a very fun year imo and we will be in every game.  If not, all bets are off.

If all bets are off if the D is not up to snuff, then does that mean something like 7-4 or even 6-5 is not out of the question? That's just 2 or 3 more losses than you predicted. Do you mean all bets are off to that extent or not so much?
Report Spam   Logged

Nothing replaces success in the revenue sports.  Nothing.  That's not to take away from the success in the Olympic sports - they do matter.  It isn't a replacement for success in the flagship sports. - Debbie Yow, AD - NC State
PA Ram
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2017, 10:25:19 am »

If all bets are off if the D is not up to snuff, then does that mean something like 7-4 or even 6-5 is not out of the question? That's just 2 or 3 more losses than you predicted. Do you mean all bets are off to that extent or not so much?

Yeah, i think that if the D is a disappointment we can easily have that kind of record.  We'll be in every game since we should be able to score on anyone but we could be at risk of the 'whoever has the ball last wins' type of games against most teams on the schedule. 

Fwiw, I feel like this staff is going to really turn things around on D, though.  Really looking forward to seeing what they can do.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2017, 11:22:11 am by PA Ram » Report Spam   Logged
An Old Coach
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2017, 12:16:36 pm »

My thoughts on the D.

The defense is going to improve if the talent is improved, IMO.  I don't believe coaching was the issue last year.  We've had average players on the unit.  We've had a lot of injuries up front and not a lot of depth and that has been a killer.  We also don't typically hold the ball a long time on our drives so that get's the defense out there without a much of a break.  When you're getting knocked off the ball, there aren't too many coaching answers.  No reason to think Coach Bowes won't be a good one but I don't know that the "Bucknell mentality" is something to take to the bank looking at their record the past 4 years (one winning season).
Report Spam   Logged
Fordham Lurker
Sophomore

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2017, 01:39:41 pm »

We should circulate an 8x10 sheet, with two 5x7 photos, with a press release about Chase chasing the Heisman, and Fordham's connection to the sculpture.

One 5x7 would be the famous picture of Jim Crowley and a Fordham player, Warren Mulrey, modeling the stiff arm for the sculptor, Frank Eliscu. 

The other 5x7 would have Chase, giving the stiff-arm pose, photo-shopped (in color) into Mulrey's spot on the photo. 

Report Spam   Logged
Rambow
Sophomore

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2017, 06:11:43 pm »

We should circulate an 8x10 sheet, with two 5x7 photos, with a press release about Chase chasing the Heisman, and Fordham's connection to the sculpture.

One 5x7 would be the famous picture of Jim Crowley and a Fordham player, Warren Mulrey, modeling the stiff arm for the sculptor, Frank Eliscu. 

The other 5x7 would have Chase, giving the stiff-arm pose, photo-shopped (in color) into Mulrey's spot on the photo. 

The trophy itself, designed by sculptor Frank Eliscu, is modeled after Ed Smith, a leading player in 1934 for the now-defunct New York University football team.  Wikipedia.

The New York Times also did a story about 20 years ago and said the trophy's model was Smith. 
Report Spam   Logged
J-Sal
Freshman

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2017, 09:37:32 pm »

The trophy itself, designed by sculptor Frank Eliscu, is modeled after Ed Smith, a leading player in 1934 for the now-defunct New York University football team.  Wikipedia. 

I see your Wiki and raise you a Heisman.com:
http://heisman.com/sports/2014/9/10/GEN_0910144257.aspx?path=general
Report Spam   Logged
Fordham Lurker
Sophomore

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2017, 06:36:00 am »

Just to emphasize, from your link, the model for the trophy was Smith, but Fordham players (including Warren Mulrey) modeled various poses for Eliscu, who revised his clay prototype based on these poses provided by the Fordham players.

From your link:
To create this trophy, the DAC commissioned Frank Eliscu, a well-known sculptor and National Academy of Design Prize Winner. He immediately began to work, selecting Ed Smith, a leading player on the 1934 New York University football team, as his primary model. Eliscu prepared a rough clay study that was sanctioned by the DAC Committee, and sent uptown for approval by the head football coach at Fordham University, Jim Crowley, one of the legendary Four Horsemen of Notre Dame. The prototype was set up on a field, and Crowley's players were asked to assume various positions to illustrate and verify the side step, the forward drive, and a strong-right arm thrust. The artist closely observed these action sequences and modified his clay prototype.[/b]
Report Spam   Logged
xkaydet65
Freshman

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2017, 07:19:32 pm »

Looking at the schedule I think Bryant is the team that could provide a surprise upset. We play them after EWU. They have been a pretty good squad the last decade. Their record in '16 was not good but they played Coastal Carolina, Maine, and Montan State close.
Report Spam   Logged
Rambow
Sophomore

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 30, 2017, 06:04:04 am »

Just to emphasize, from your link, the model for the trophy was Smith, but Fordham players (including Warren Mulrey) modeled various poses for Eliscu, who revised his clay prototype based on these poses provided by the Fordham players.

From your link:
To create this trophy, the DAC commissioned Frank Eliscu, a well-known sculptor and National Academy of Design Prize Winner. He immediately began to work, selecting Ed Smith, a leading player on the 1934 New York University football team, as his primary model. Eliscu prepared a rough clay study that was sanctioned by the DAC Committee, and sent uptown for approval by the head football coach at Fordham University, Jim Crowley, one of the legendary Four Horsemen of Notre Dame. The prototype was set up on a field, and Crowley's players were asked to assume various positions to illustrate and verify the side step, the forward drive, and a strong-right arm thrust. The artist closely observed these action sequences and modified his clay prototype.[/b]
My point was to suggest that associating Chase with the prototype for the Heisman might not work so well.  That's still a valid point: Smith from NYU was the "primary model."
Report Spam   Logged
Fordham Lurker
Sophomore

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 31, 2017, 11:36:37 am »

My point was to suggest that associating Chase with the prototype for the Heisman might not work so well.  That's still a valid point: Smith from NYU was the "primary model."

The most famous picture of a player modeling for the Heisman sculptor is that of Warren Mulrey with his coach, Jim Crowley watching. 

This photo was widely circulated by the Downtown Athletic Club at that time, as publicity for its nascent Heisman Trophy award.  In that era, a Heisman photo involving Crowley was a PR director's dream -- in those years after the death of Knute Rockne, there was arguably no college football coach as prominent as Jim Crowley (one of the first five athletes ever chosen to appear on a Wheaties box).  It was because of Crowley's inclusion that this photo became so famous.  In fact, sending the trophy down to be photographed with Crowley was probably the end in itself -- the story that Crowley was chosen to review the statue for authenticity just a cover for photographing the statue and its sculptor with Crowley.

Any news release accompanying the photo can place the moment in proper context, while acknowledging that Smith was the primary model.  But the recreation of the famous photo would be an attention getter.
Report Spam   Logged
ace93
Arbitrary and Capricious Administrator
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 31, 2017, 12:07:22 pm »

This turned into one heck of a prediction thread!
Report Spam   Logged

Nothing replaces success in the revenue sports.  Nothing.  That's not to take away from the success in the Olympic sports - they do matter.  It isn't a replacement for success in the flagship sports. - Debbie Yow, AD - NC State
Scott W 86
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 31, 2017, 01:18:49 pm »

9/1/2017 - Army - WIN
9/16/2017  - Eastern Washington University - LOSS
10/28/2017 - Lehigh University - WIN ... big damn win!

Patriot League Title  10-1  ... Best Offense, and surprisingly we rank as the third best Defense, and the best Special teams with our new PK.
Report Spam   Logged
xtey92a
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 31, 2017, 06:05:47 pm »

It will be a great season, looking forward to it!

Report Spam   Logged

#GoRamsGo!
pjd
Junior

Tertullian - Model Levite Priest

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: July 31, 2017, 08:48:21 pm »

9/1/2017 - Army - WIN Big
9/16/2017  - Eastern Washington University - LOSS Close
10/28/2017 - Lehigh University - WIN ... Remember Lehigh Did not Punt
Report Spam   Logged
Madram
Sophomore

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 31, 2017, 09:18:25 pm »

For those that didnt follow  college football last year , Army is a very good team. Not saying we can't pull an upset but I think many people still think this is the same army team we beat .. is not , they are legit
Report Spam   Logged
dajr
Freshman

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 01, 2017, 09:57:37 am »

Absolutely,   Dec 10,2016    ARMY 21- NAVY 17.

Very big task ahead.
Report Spam   Logged
NYRam07
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 01, 2017, 10:12:51 am »

For those that didnt follow  college football last year , Army is a very good team. Not saying we can't pull an upset but I think many people still think this is the same army team we beat .. is not , they are legit

Agreed but I think our offense is better this year, and I think our defense is better. It will be an uphill battle and it will be an upset victory, but I think we have a chance.

Our new DC should change the way we view our defense. We'll know for sure soon enough!
Report Spam   Logged
PA Ram
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 01, 2017, 10:55:12 am »

Agreed but I think our offense is better this year, and I think our defense is better. It will be an uphill battle and it will be an upset victory, but I think we have a chance.

Our new DC should change the way we view our defense. We'll know for sure soon enough!

I agree.  I really feel the D will be greatly improved this year.  The question i have is how dramatic the change will be by game 1. 
Report Spam   Logged
RamAlum13
Freshman

lord i was born a ramblin man

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 01, 2017, 11:07:46 am »

9-2

I think that we should get a +5 bonus if if the prediction in this thread is accurate when we run the patriot league pick em pool.

Thoughts?
Report Spam   Logged
Chaka001
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 02, 2017, 09:05:44 am »

I will go optimistically with 9-2 as I do beleive it may be a challenge to surpass 8-3.
I see the Rams falling to:
- Army (who seems to have most of their starters back from their best season in about two decades)
- EWU (who seems to reload as one of the upper echelon teams in FCS

I do believe both of these games are winnable and anything can happen. 
- The key to beating Army is getting ahead early and holding them to FG attempts.  With an efficient ball-control, time consuming triple option, they are hard to beat.  But on the other hand if you force them to pass, they will likely struggle and their special teams are shaky.
- I am far less familiar with EWU but ten to think teams like them will eat us up on the lines, much like a bigger UT- Chattanooga.  If the Rams play well, they could win.

Lehigh will be a big challenge and the PL in general should be more balanced as the teams are getting better each year by adding scholarships.  I think the Rams avenge the losses to Army and EWU with a PL crown and a trip to the playoffs.

In case you have not seen this...
2017 Patriot League Football Preseason Poll
1. Lehigh 70 points (11 first-place votes)
2. Fordham, 61 (3)
3. Colgate, 54
4. Holy Cross, 39
5. Bucknell, 36
T6. Lafayette, 17
T6. Georgetown, 17

I see possible extreme results as low as 7-4 (mainly due to injury and a surprising PL team catching fire) and as high as 11-0 (could happen if the Rams stay healthy and play well and newbies contribute) but more realistically I see the 8-3 to 10-1 range.  In the end, I am going with 9-2.

Very excited for the season to start and hope to catch at least 1 game live (likely Lafayette on the road).  Wish I could see more.
GO RAMS!

Chaka

Report Spam   Logged
NYRam07
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 02, 2017, 09:37:11 am »

Game v. Army is televised on CBS-SN. Only problem is that the game is on at 6! I'm not home until close to 7 on a typical evening so thank goodness for DVR!
Report Spam   Logged
shortshot
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 02, 2017, 09:58:05 am »

I'm being  pessimistic and will go with 8 and 3. Army and EWU and 1 in league play as the losses. If we go 9 and 2 we should make the playoffs. Defense, as previously noted, will be key. I think we can score on any team on our schedule.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2017, 12:08:57 pm by shortshot » Report Spam   Logged
NYRam07
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 02, 2017, 10:05:29 am »

Just realized that I haven't made an actual prediction. I'll go 10-1 because too many people are saying 9-2. We'll beat Army or EWU and run the table otherwise. Worst case scenario we go 9-2. I don't think we'll lose a game in the PL unless we're hit with the injury bug.
Report Spam   Logged
pjd
Junior

Tertullian - Model Levite Priest

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: August 02, 2017, 02:39:55 pm »

most impressive part about last season was after Lehigh not punting whole game, we beat Colgate (who nearly beat Lehigh).  Much depends upon our D-Line our Defense and Not Discount rest of squad too.  Hoping for Victory over Army to get troops pumped, then Major home game vs EWU.  Go Fordham! Win!!! 11-0
Report Spam   Logged
ram it 66
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 02, 2017, 03:10:46 pm »

I guess losses to Army and E. Wash and an upset like Monmouth last year would eliminate our playoff chances. So let's go 11-0, 10-1 or 9-2.
Report Spam   Logged
xtey92a
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 02, 2017, 10:47:17 pm »

Game v. Army is televised on CBS-SN. Only problem is that the game is on at 6! I'm not home until close to 7 on a typical evening so thank goodness for DVR!

Leave work early and go!
Report Spam   Logged

#GoRamsGo!
J-Sal
Freshman

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 10, 2017, 09:35:42 am »

I will go optimistically with 9-2 as I do beleive it may be a challenge to surpass 8-3.
I see the Rams falling to:
- Army (who seems to have most of their starters back from their best season in about two decades)
- EWU (who seems to reload as one of the upper echelon teams in FCS

I do believe both of these games are winnable and anything can happen. 
- The key to beating Army is getting ahead early and holding them to FG attempts.  With an efficient ball-control, time consuming triple option, they are hard to beat.  But on the other hand if you force them to pass, they will likely struggle and their special teams are shaky.
- I am far less familiar with EWU but ten to think teams like them will eat us up on the lines, much like a bigger UT- Chattanooga.  If the Rams play well, they could win.

Lehigh will be a big challenge and the PL in general should be more balanced as the teams are getting better each year by adding scholarships.  I think the Rams avenge the losses to Army and EWU with a PL crown and a trip to the playoffs.

In case you have not seen this...
2017 Patriot League Football Preseason Poll
1. Lehigh 70 points (11 first-place votes)
2. Fordham, 61 (3)
3. Colgate, 54
4. Holy Cross, 39
5. Bucknell, 36
T6. Lafayette, 17
T6. Georgetown, 17

I see possible extreme results as low as 7-4 (mainly due to injury and a surprising PL team catching fire) and as high as 11-0 (could happen if the Rams stay healthy and play well and newbies contribute) but more realistically I see the 8-3 to 10-1 range.  In the end, I am going with 9-2.

Very excited for the season to start and hope to catch at least 1 game live (likely Lafayette on the road).  Wish I could see more.
GO RAMS!

Chaka

Great post!  11-0 sounds preposterous and it would take some disastrous injuries and other teams getting hot to go 7-4 or worse.  10-1 to 8-3 seems like the accurate range.  Injuries aside, 8 wins as a starting point is pretty rational.  Especially since (aside from Monmouth last year and maybe Lafayette in 2013 when we were on the road and without Nebrich) we have beaten EVERYONE we've shoulda beaten since 2012.  8 wins might-might get us into the playoffs (7 D-1 wins very-very nearly got us in last year) but of course 9 would seal the deal.  Problem is finding that 9th win. 

Lehigh seems like the most likely choice but they did hang a 51-9 on us last season before throwing in their subs.  Kinda hard to flip that level of devastation.  To make things worse, we catch them after a not-so-easy stretch of 6 road games in 8 weeks.  Lehigh does lose their QB and entire LB core but they're still the pre-season league favorite for a reason.   

Army is coming off their best season in decades.  Offensively they return pretty much everyone except the Poe Brothers at WR so their run game should be stronger than ever.  Defensively however they'll probably take a step back.  They lose a lot at the LB and DB spots so once again we'll hafta jump up early, force them to play catch up and hope to outscore them. 

Then there's EWU.  For all the talk about their QB, they have a future NFL DT (Jay-Tee Tiuli) who could dominate the trenches in ways not seen since the Chattanooga game.  They return 2 other DL starters and the ENTIRE OL, so yeah, those trenches will be tough.  Hopefully Texas Tech and ND State will soften them up a bit before taking their cross-country flight but on paper this one seems like the toughest test of them all.

In the end, like Chaka, I'm going 9-2 but think the upset comes against Army.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: