fordhamfans.com
September 25, 2017, 02:27:46 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Gallery Login Register  

WBB Taking European Tour

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: WBB Taking European Tour  (Read 775 times)
txram
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« on: August 01, 2017, 05:13:15 pm »

After previous trips to New Zealand, Fiji, and Australia, WBB is headed to Italy and Spain this summer where they'll play 5 games.  http://www.fordhamsports.com/news/2017/8/1/womens-basketball-set-to-embark-on-two-week-european-tour.aspx?path=wbball
Report Spam   Logged

Social Buttons

Senior

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2017, 08:59:29 pm »

Very nice.
Report Spam   Logged
Bay Ridge
Freshman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2017, 10:03:02 am »

Eight of thirteen players are fresh. We need the experience plus five players are from Europe. We will miss Kreslina , particularly early on. FYI , we are playing UCLA at Rose Hill.
Report Spam   Logged
SIram
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2017, 11:16:07 am »

This will be a great experience for the players, terrific team bonding and hopefully will give Coach a jump start on preparations for the season
Report Spam   Logged
98ramgrad
Freshman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2017, 09:28:35 am »

A vacation on Fordham's dime...enjoy.  To be fair, nearly every school does this. But it doesn't sit well with me.
Report Spam   Logged
NYRam07
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2017, 09:45:42 am »

A vacation on Fordham's dime...enjoy.  To be fair, nearly every school does this. But it doesn't sit well with me.

Consider it compensation for the missed holidays around Christmas and thanksgiving, the summers on campus instead of at home with family and friends, the hours in study hall, the gym, the trainers room and so forth and so on.

Universities and the NCAA make a ton of money off the student athletes. A quick trip abroad is fair in my eyes.

Not to mention, student athletes generally do not have the opportunity to study abroad because of their responsibilities to the team.
Report Spam   Logged
shortshot
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2017, 11:47:03 am »

Consider it compensation for the missed holidays around Christmas and thanksgiving, the summers on campus instead of at home with family and friends, the hours in study hall, the gym, the trainers room and so forth and so on.

Universities and the NCAA make a ton of money off the student athletes. A quick trip abroad is fair in my eyes.

Not to mention, student athletes generally do not have the opportunity to study abroad because of their responsibilities to the team.
+1
Report Spam   Logged
ace93
Arbitrary and Capricious Administrator
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2017, 01:01:19 pm »

I'm half with you and I have zero issue with these trips, but most schools are not making money on athletics and certainly not women's basketball. There are also 15 young women on full scholarship in women's hoops, so it is not like this trip is their only perk.
Report Spam   Logged

Nothing replaces success in the revenue sports.  Nothing.  That's not to take away from the success in the Olympic sports - they do matter.  It isn't a replacement for success in the flagship sports. - Debbie Yow, AD - NC State
NYRam07
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2017, 01:14:46 pm »

I'm half with you and I have zero issue with these trips, but most schools are not making money on athletics and certainly not women's basketball. There are also 15 young women on full scholarship in women's hoops, so it is not like this trip is their only perk.

You can remove my sentence on schools making money and it wouldn't change my thoughts/feelings on this issue.
Report Spam   Logged
ace93
Arbitrary and Capricious Administrator
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2017, 01:39:29 pm »

You can remove my sentence on schools making money and it wouldn't change my thoughts/feelings on this issue.

Cool. I think it can be considered *part* of their compensation. The biggest part of their compensation is their full scholarship.
Report Spam   Logged

Nothing replaces success in the revenue sports.  Nothing.  That's not to take away from the success in the Olympic sports - they do matter.  It isn't a replacement for success in the flagship sports. - Debbie Yow, AD - NC State
NYRam07
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2017, 01:50:26 pm »

Cool. I think it can be considered *part* of their compensation. The biggest part of their compensation is their full scholarship.

That's fair and its certainly the most important.
Report Spam   Logged
Scott W 86
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2017, 12:38:36 am »

These trips are a huge team benefit.  The extra practices and games flow right to player and team development.
Report Spam   Logged
txram
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2017, 04:02:56 pm »

We played the Univ of Trieste in Italy in the first game, and we won 86-28.  German 6'3" forward freshman Klug (#11) had 17 points and Davis had 12.  12 of our 13 players scored.  Seems like we should have scheduled tougher competition though.

Highlights:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K20BFlc8iiY&feature=youtu.be
« Last Edit: August 17, 2017, 06:49:40 pm by txram » Report Spam   Logged
txram
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2017, 02:33:10 pm »

In game 2 on the tour, we beat ASD Basket Costa 75-28.  Davis had 25 points and 12 boards.  Freshman center Gillis had 9 points.  Rome next, then Barcelona.

Video recap:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oi3570Ep44M&feature=youtu.be
« Last Edit: August 21, 2017, 04:05:27 pm by txram » Report Spam   Logged
txram
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2017, 05:23:27 pm »

WBB won their 3rd game, beating a Rome All Star team 108-55.  Davis led with 26 points and 15 boards.
Report Spam   Logged
Bay Ridge
Freshman

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2017, 06:13:51 pm »

TX , do you know anything about the strength of the remaining teams on the schedule ? Based on these scores, it looks like we've been playing cupcakes so far. Not sure what this trip accomplishes if that is the case.
Report Spam   Logged
txram
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2017, 02:19:45 pm »

TX , do you know anything about the strength of the remaining teams on the schedule ? Based on these scores, it looks like we've been playing cupcakes so far. Not sure what this trip accomplishes if that is the case.
No, haven't seen anything about the schedule.  I'm not sure playing anyone challenging was the intent, nor was it in Fiji/Australia, but I think it would have been a bonus.  With all of the new players, just more game time in getting used to playing with each other was part of the goal.
Report Spam   Logged
txram
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2017, 01:54:31 pm »

No, haven't seen anything about the schedule.  I'm not sure playing anyone challenging was the intent, nor was it in Fiji/Australia, but I think it would have been a bonus.  With all of the new players, just more game time in getting used to playing with each other was part of the goal.
They are having a more competitive game today (Friday) in Barcelona against Jouventut les Corts, only up 36-21 at the half, with a 14-13 2nd quarter.
Report Spam   Logged
txram
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2017, 04:32:59 pm »

They are having a more competitive game today (Friday) in Barcelona against Jouventut les Corts, only up 36-21 at the half, with a 14-13 2nd quarter.
We won 75-51.  Davis had 25 and 12.
Report Spam   Logged
Bay Ridge
Freshman

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2017, 05:06:27 pm »

Stay out of harms way with the storm this weekend
Report Spam   Logged
txram
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2017, 06:53:33 pm »

Stay out of harms way with the storm this weekend
Thanks.  Hunkering down.  It'll be a wet one.
Report Spam   Logged
txram
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 26, 2017, 02:27:59 pm »

Rams win their 5th game beating Santa Rosa 96-64.  Davis had 21, Holden 13, Heremaia 11, Klug 9, Cavanaugh 8.  Will now be headed home.

Highlights:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOpAQZH_4MI&feature=youtu.be
« Last Edit: August 26, 2017, 07:25:05 pm by txram » Report Spam   Logged
txram
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 29, 2017, 02:19:37 pm »

Trip recap:  http://fordhamsports.com/news/2017/8/29/womens-basketball-returns-from-two-week-european-tour.aspx
Report Spam   Logged
txram
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 30, 2017, 09:34:08 pm »

We didn't have 6'4" freshman Vilisi Tavui from Fiji on the trip.  She just joined the team. 

We have some height this year for a change to help out 6'2" Davis inside with 6'3" Klug, 6'4" Gillis and Tavui, all freshmen though. 
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: