fordhamfans.com
August 17, 2017, 09:34:51 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Gallery Login Register  

San Jose State to hire Jean Prioleau as head coach

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: San Jose State to hire Jean Prioleau as head coach  (Read 2333 times)
ace93
Arbitrary and Capricious Administrator
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« on: August 04, 2017, 09:27:32 pm »

https://www.fanragsports.com/news/rothstein-san-jose-state-to-hire-jean-prioleau-as-head-coach/

Very deserving. Glad to see he finally has his shot.

Wishing the best to a guy who helped me get hooked on Fordham hoops.
Report Spam   Logged

Nothing replaces success in the revenue sports.  Nothing.  That's not to take away from the success in the Olympic sports - they do matter.  It isn't a replacement for success in the flagship sports. - Debbie Yow, AD - NC State

Social Buttons

shortshot
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2017, 09:59:19 pm »

Congratulations Jean!
Report Spam   Logged
rambacker
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2017, 10:01:43 pm »

https://www.fanragsports.com/news/rothstein-san-jose-state-to-hire-jean-prioleau-as-head-coach/

Very deserving. Glad to see he finally has his shot.

Wishing the best to a guy who helped me get hooked on Fordham hoops.

Congrats to Jean. Well deserved. He waited a long time for this. Have a feeling he will do well.
Report Spam   Logged
An Old Coach
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2017, 07:46:37 am »

Nice spot for his first HC job.  Big state school in a decent conference. Well done and best of luck!
Report Spam   Logged
PA Ram
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2017, 08:59:51 am »

Awesome.  Congrats Jean!
Report Spam   Logged
SIram
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2017, 09:31:44 am »

Good luck to Jean!

Very happy for him and well deserved
« Last Edit: August 05, 2017, 11:14:54 am by SIram » Report Spam   Logged
southcarolinaram
Sophomore

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2017, 10:01:30 am »

Jean was always a class act as was his brother (Andre, I think) who attended most of the games.

I remember Jean being the hero of the Patriot League playoffs in Worcester. I remember Holy Cross coach George Blaney being very upset when Fordham sat on the home bench because we were the higher seeded team. I thought this was a partial payback for the time Blaney bad mouthed Tommy Penders to the press when Tommy pulled the Fordham team off the floor during the game.

The Rams were off to Hawaii for the Rainbow Classic and Blaney summoned up the courage to attack Tommy while he was gone.
Report Spam   Logged
alanccrx
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2017, 11:21:24 am »

Good Luck and Best Wishes to one of Fordham's sons.
Report Spam   Logged
rambacker
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2017, 01:20:59 pm »

Jean hit one of the most memorable shots in Fordham hoop history - his three pointer to take down PJ's Seton Hall team in the Rose Hill Gym. I thought the ceiling was going to collapse from the crowd reaction when he hit that shot.

« Last Edit: August 06, 2017, 08:22:15 am by rambacker » Report Spam   Logged
HKRam
Waterboy

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2017, 04:36:30 pm »

Maybe we can get a home and home with him.
Report Spam   Logged
RAM71
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2017, 06:07:12 pm »

This is great news. I am very happy for Jean.

I had contacted Jean and supported hiring him as our head coach but Roach would not even give him a serious interview. If he succeeds at San Jose, he will probably get better opportunities than Fordham.   
Report Spam   Logged
xtey92a
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2017, 12:08:26 am »

Congrats Jean! SJSU is a great school in the Valley.  Living expenses can be brutal, and the traffic is awful.
Report Spam   Logged

#GoRamsGo!
An Old Coach
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2017, 09:48:12 am »

This is great news. I am very happy for Jean.

I had contacted Jean and supported hiring him as our head coach but Roach would not even give him a serious interview. If he succeeds at San Jose, he will probably get better opportunities than Fordham.   

San Jose is better opportunity than Fordham.  That would be a step backward.
Report Spam   Logged
Bay Ridge
Freshman

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2017, 12:12:15 pm »

The San Jose press release stated that Jean was #2 in career steals and assists. Can someone point me to what publication would have this info. Thanks.
Report Spam   Logged
xtey92a
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2017, 12:21:14 pm »

I think a road trip to the Valley should be on the schedule.
Report Spam   Logged

#GoRamsGo!
ace93
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2017, 05:07:53 pm »

The San Jose press release stated that Jean was #2 in career steals and assists. Can someone point me to what publication would have this info. Thanks.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/sidearm.sites/fordham.sidearmsports.com/documents/2013/11/6/1314FordMBB.pdf
Report Spam   Logged

Nothing replaces success in the revenue sports.  Nothing.  That's not to take away from the success in the Olympic sports - they do matter.  It isn't a replacement for success in the flagship sports. - Debbie Yow, AD - NC State
pjd
Junior

Tertullian - Model Levite Priest

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2017, 05:48:16 pm »

https://www.bing.com/search?q=do+you+know+the+way+to+san+jose&form=PRUSEN&pc=UE01&mkt=en-us&httpsmsn=1&refig=86c68903cc324f828d3c522aed7aa814
Report Spam   Logged
pjd
Junior

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2017, 05:59:21 pm »

https://www.bing.com/search?q=burt+bacharach+(theme+from)+valley+of+the+dolls&filters=ufn%3a%22burt+bacharach+theme+from+valley+of+the+dolls%22+sid%3a%2263f9fed0-ceb0-0a71-6ba2-327f521dbdfb%22&autoplay=1&FORM=SNAPST
Report Spam   Logged
pjd
Junior

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2017, 06:11:57 pm »

1st song - regular o Harry Harrison WABC 770am
2nd song - between movies Calderon Theatre Hempstead, Long Island - not on radio as I reCall
Report Spam   Logged
pjd
Junior

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2017, 06:33:36 pm »

https://www.bing.com/search?q=dionne%20warwick%20walk%20on%20by&qs=n&form=QBRE&sp=-1&ghc=1&pq=dionne%20warwick%20walk%20on%20by&sc=9-25&sk=&cvid=44EA85C113BF4BB1BD14C254AD9210F5
Report Spam   Logged
Fordham Lurker
Sophomore

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2017, 07:29:40 pm »

Jean hit one of the most memorable shots in Fordham hoop history - his three pointer to take down PJ's Seton Hall team in the Rose Hill Gym. I thought the ceiling was going to collapse from the crowd reaction when he hit that shot.

I still remember the night when Jean drilled that 3 pointer at the buzzer.  I was working in a law firm with an office in Morristown with a bunch of Seton Hall grads.  That night, we had just finished playing in our lawyer's league basketball game.  I was sitting in my car right outside The Dublin Pub -- our post-game hangout --listening to WFUV, as a bunch of my co-worker/teammates, many of them Seton Hall law grads, were walking toward the bar.  I called them over and told them Fordham was about to inbound the ball, down 68-66.

Everyone stopped to listen to the call.  Jean hits that 3 pointer and I just start taunting them. Smiley
Report Spam   Logged
John
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2017, 08:30:07 pm »

Congratulations to San Jose State on a superb hire. Congratulations to Jean, who I am sure will make everyone proud.

SJSU is a good school. My niece interviewed a couple of years ago for a coaching spot in women's basketball, and came away impressed by the school's facilities and personnel.
Report Spam   Logged
rambacker
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 06, 2017, 09:23:49 pm »

I still remember the night when Jean drilled that 3 pointer at the buzzer.  I was working in a law firm with an office in Morristown with a bunch of Seton Hall grads.  That night, we had just finished playing in our lawyer's league basketball game.  I was sitting in my car right outside The Dublin Pub -- our post-game hangout --listening to WFUV, as a bunch of my co-worker/teammates, many of them Seton Hall law grads, were walking toward the bar.  I called them over and told them Fordham was about to inbound the ball, down 68-66.

Everyone stopped to listen to the call.  Jean hits that 3 pointer and I just start taunting them. Smiley

Nice. That was quite a moment and the media coverage was extensive, as I recall, including the winning shot highlight on ESPN that night.
Report Spam   Logged
DCRam
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 07, 2017, 11:42:57 am »

Congrats to Jean.

HS classmate of mine went to Stanford and said that SJSU is their rival. Is that still the case?
Report Spam   Logged
xtey92a
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 07, 2017, 03:41:50 pm »

Nice Song, but I think you meant:

Dionne Warwick has lots of friends in San Jose!

San Jose is now a big city, the capital of Silicon Valley.
Report Spam   Logged

#GoRamsGo!
xtey92a
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 07, 2017, 04:07:11 pm »

Congrats to Jean.

HS classmate of mine went to Stanford and said that SJSU is their rival. Is that still the case?

Cal Berkeley is the big PAC10 rival.

Santa Clara is growing too, Jesuit in Sunnyvale.

California "State" colleges typically offer Masters as their highest degree and are not research focused. University of California schools (Cal, UCLA, + 7 others) are the major research schools. They have separate systems, chancellors, and boards.

Report Spam   Logged

#GoRamsGo!
RAM71
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 10, 2017, 09:14:25 pm »

San Jose is better opportunity than Fordham.  That would be a step backward.

An Old Coach, I am guessing that you have not heard Jean's opinion on that.  Wink
Report Spam   Logged
An Old Coach
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 11, 2017, 07:12:51 am »

An Old Coach, I am guessing that you have not heard Jean's opinion on that.  Wink

No, I haven't.  I've just looked at how hard he's worked to finally get a shot at a HC job.  No coach I've ever heard of willingly takes a step backward, even to go to alma mater.   That ship has sailed for him. 
Report Spam   Logged
ace93
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 11, 2017, 09:20:07 am »

No, I haven't.  I've just looked at how hard he's worked to finally get a shot at a HC job.  No coach I've ever heard of willingly takes a step backward, even to go to alma mater.   That ship has sailed for him. 

Not sure it's a step backwards. Maybe only b/c it is Fordham, but Mountain West to A10 is definitely not a step backwards in basketball.

More back on topic, if anyone wants to listen to the press conference introducing Jean as the head coach at SJSU, you can find it here:
http://www.sjsuspartans.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/080717aad.html

Some might be surprised by who he thanks.
Report Spam   Logged

Rich93
Class of 93
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 11, 2017, 09:24:20 am »

Good luck to Jean.  You have to take your shot and this is his.  He worked hard and earned this shot, I will be rooting for him and keeping an eye on his team.

With that said San Jose State has struggled like Fordham.  It's record the last 4 years 32-90.  It has not made the tournament since 1996.  No NIT bids during that time. One CBI in 2011.  It's coach resigned in July for personal reasons.  I guess what I am saying is that people need to educate themselves on a program before making grand proclamations about what type of opportunity it presents and how it compares to any other program.  Jean is taking over a struggling program in August so we may want to dial back the San Jose state is a great situation posts.  I would bet a lot of money that if he had the choice fordham or SJS he would take the Fordham job. 
« Last Edit: August 11, 2017, 09:46:28 am by Rich93 » Report Spam   Logged

WINNING MATTERS

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: