fordhamfans.com
December 17, 2017, 10:49:47 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Gallery Login Register  

San Jose State to hire Jean Prioleau as head coach

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: San Jose State to hire Jean Prioleau as head coach  (Read 2552 times)
An Old Coach
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 11, 2017, 12:47:07 pm »

Good luck to Jean.  You have to take your shot and this is his.  He worked hard and earned this shot, I will be rooting for him and keeping an eye on his team.

With that said San Jose State has struggled like Fordham.  It's record the last 4 years 32-90.  It has not made the tournament since 1996.  No NIT bids during that time. One CBI in 2011.  It's coach resigned in July for personal reasons.  I guess what I am saying is that people need to educate themselves on a program before making grand proclamations about what type of opportunity it presents and how it compares to any other program.  Jean is taking over a struggling program in August so we may want to dial back the San Jose state is a great situation posts.  I would bet a lot of money that if he had the choice fordham or SJS he would take the Fordham job. 

St. Jose State is down, no question. You can build a program, though.  Fordham is a dead.  The best you can do is string together a couple of years and get out.  Jean is a basketball lifer.  He understands the difference, even it its Fordham.
Report Spam   Logged
Rich93
Class of 93
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 11, 2017, 01:27:22 pm »

St. Jose State is down, no question. You can build a program, though.  Fordham is a dead.  The best you can do is string together a couple of years and get out.  Jean is a basketball lifer.  He understands the difference, even it its Fordham.

Like Fordham they have been down for decades.  You talk like their recent issues are a blip on the radar.  Sure he can do well for a few years and I hope he does but it is not a better job than Fordham.  You are telling us what Jean does and does not know when you never spoke to him. Hell you thought SJS was a great program until I gave you their record. Like I said I would bet a lot of money he would rather have the Fordham job. Ram71 is not taking that bet and for good reason.  Cheesy
Report Spam   Logged

WINNING MATTERS
An Old Coach
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 11, 2017, 02:35:42 pm »

Keep telling yourself that.  Good Kool-Aide on hot summer day.   Jean will dig the program out.  He has the resources and he's at a big state school in the middle of the Silicon Valley.  I'm sure he loves the Boogie Down but there is no comparison.

Oh wait.   I forgot.  The $2.5 mil McLaughlin Dome!  All bets are off... Cheesy
Report Spam   Logged
Rich93
Class of 93
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 11, 2017, 02:40:49 pm »

Sure ok got it.  Willing to wager on his preference how much? 
Report Spam   Logged

WINNING MATTERS
An Old Coach
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 11, 2017, 03:18:21 pm »

Sure ok got it.  Willing to wager on his preference how much? 

You got nothing.  Trust me.

You're going to wager against the success of a Fordham man?!?!  Love it!!
Report Spam   Logged
Rich93
Class of 93
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 11, 2017, 03:39:15 pm »

You got nothing.  Trust me.

You're going to wager against the success of a Fordham man?!?!  Love it!!

I have nothing?  What does that mean?  You make no sense at all.  No one is betting against him the wager is whether he would rather be at Fordham.  You also have not provided one fact to support your SJS love, a school you did not know existed before this.  But other than that you are killing it in this thread good work. 
Report Spam   Logged

WINNING MATTERS
An Old Coach
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 11, 2017, 04:35:57 pm »

I have nothing?  What does that mean?  You make no sense at all.  No one is betting against him the wager is whether he would rather be at Fordham.  You also have not provided one fact to support your SJS love, a school you did not know existed before this.  But other than that you are killing it in this thread good work. 
My original post said San Jose State would be a step back from Fordham.  I stand by it. 

Report Spam   Logged
RAM71
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 11, 2017, 07:49:58 pm »

My original post said San Jose State would be a step back from Fordham.  I stand by it. 

Smart move, AOC. Don't make that wager.  Smiley
« Last Edit: August 11, 2017, 08:24:31 pm by RAM71 » Report Spam   Logged
RAM71
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 11, 2017, 08:45:45 pm »

Some might be surprised by who he thanks.

"the bad coach"- I AM surprised. Jean said that Hill has been his mentor and close to him. Hill was the first coach to ever cut him (when he tried out for the Indiana Pacers) and the first coach to hire him as a coach (at Fordham). 
Report Spam   Logged
RAM71
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 11, 2017, 08:51:46 pm »

Incidentally, the news about Jean's new position has gotten much, much more attention on the Fordham board than on the San Jose State board.

By the way, does Jean read this board?   
Report Spam   Logged
John
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 11, 2017, 11:50:22 pm »

I dunno. Good school, right in the capital of Silicon Valley, attractive conference with good rivalries. Hasn't had much recent success, but there's a lot of material to work with. It's up to Jean. Let's see who he brings in as assistants. One thing, he won't get out-worked.
Report Spam   Logged
An Old Coach
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 12, 2017, 06:43:39 am »

Smart move, AOC. Don't make that wager.  Smiley

If the Fordham job opened up tomorrow, do you think he's going to apply?  Not a chance.  Why?  Because he knows San Jose is a better situation. Period.
Report Spam   Logged
kidfromny
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 12, 2017, 06:52:23 am »

With all due respect, if Fordham is "dead," then 12,337 posts is a lot of talking about a dead program.
Report Spam   Logged
An Old Coach
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 12, 2017, 08:25:48 am »

With all due respect, if Fordham is "dead," then 12,337 posts is a lot of talking about a dead program.

I visit cemeteries.  a lot of history there.  Grin
Report Spam   Logged
RAM71
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 12, 2017, 09:38:49 am »

If the Fordham job opened up tomorrow, do you think he's going to apply?  Not a chance.  Why?  Because he knows San Jose is a better situation. Period.

Well then maybe you should take that wager with Rich.  Grin

I don't know if things at SJS basketball have improved since 2013, but this is from an article when Jean's predecessor was hired four years ago.

In some respects, Spartans basketball is in worse shape now than the football program was a few years ago.

The facilities are third-rate; the budget is minuscule; the roster is largely devoid of talent; and the competition is about to turn brutal with SJSU’s jump into the Mountain West Conference.

When Bleymaier dismissed longtime SJSU coach George Nessman last month and began his national search, Wojcik was on the shortlist.

“He’s been in programs where you had to build,” Bleymaier explained. “Then you couple that with his enthusiasm and energy.”

But energy alone won’t make SJSU a contender in the Mountain West. The Spartans are in desperate need of infrastructure upgrades.

The men’s basketball budget (approximately $1.4 million annually, according to Department of Education data) is one-third that of the top teams in the MWC. Nessman’s office was in a downtown parking garage. The program doesn’t have its own locker room or practice facility.

Report Spam   Logged
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: August 12, 2017, 10:03:27 am »

Why must every thread devolve into cheap pot shots at Fordahm?  We have a good coach and a solid roster coming up this season.
Report Spam   Logged
shortshot
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 12, 2017, 12:15:20 pm »

Why must every thread devolve into cheap pot shots at Fordahm?  We have a good coach and a solid roster coming up this season.
+1
Report Spam   Logged
RealDeal
Sophomore

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 12, 2017, 04:47:30 pm »

I agree, but given the last 25 years, taking the Fordham job is risky for any coach.  San Jose State, in that context, is the better choice for JP.  Hopefully our current coach beats the odds and paves the way for others in the future.   
Report Spam   Logged
ace93
Arbitrary and Capricious Administrator
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 13, 2017, 01:15:34 am »

You state a lot of things as if they are fact when in reality it is just your opinion. You have no clue what Jean would do.

I am of the opinion that you can never underestimate the pull of alma mater. Might be different which whatever school it is you graduated undergrad from.
Report Spam   Logged

Nothing replaces success in the revenue sports.  Nothing.  That's not to take away from the success in the Olympic sports - they do matter.  It isn't a replacement for success in the flagship sports. - Debbie Yow, AD - NC State
Ram 83
Sophomore

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 13, 2017, 10:51:03 am »

That is patently ridiculous.  He wouldn't apply because he just accepted another job! That proves nothing.
Report Spam   Logged
An Old Coach
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 13, 2017, 03:19:31 pm »

You state a lot of things as if they are fact when in reality it is just your opinion. You have no clue what Jean would do.

I am of the opinion that you can never underestimate the pull of alma mater. Might be different which whatever school it is you graduated undergrad from.

Obviously it's my opinion.  In the future should I label my posts "Fact" or "opinion". Will that pass muster?  Should everyone do that?

The guy is a coaching lifer.  Very few of guys who have dedicated their lives to the sport are not looking to get to a higher level.  It is possible that you know different people than I do and their priorities are different.  The fact that Fordham is not a successful program surely would make it seem that should Jean turn around a historically bad mid-major he would want to do it again.  But again, you may know different kinds of coaches than I do. 
Report Spam   Logged
shortshot
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 13, 2017, 04:34:18 pm »

I went back a few decades to look at SJS's record. Lots of last place finishes in Conference play and a lot of loosing records vs few winning seasons. They had a few bright spots along the way, surprisingly similar to Fordham's record. At worse, their program, historically, is no better than Fordhams, over the past 36 years. I don't see it as either a step up or down from Fordham. That would require an evaluation on the funding from their administration, alumni and student body support, return of key players, status of players recruited by the previous coaching staff, etc., not to mention the financial package Jean is receiving. I would be extremely hard pressed to make a judgment like that. But then the Jesuits taught me how to think, not what to think.  Wink
« Last Edit: August 13, 2017, 04:53:18 pm by shortshot » Report Spam   Logged
John
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 13, 2017, 08:15:00 pm »

SJSU is a challenging position. Any program whose coaching vacancy is getting filled in August would by definition have to be. Jean's spent a couple of decades coaching in the Midwest and West, he goes into the position eyes open and with some knowledge of what needs to be done. Does anyone who knows Jean really think he's going in there without a plan?

It's a state school that's not the flagship, and gets limited funding (sort of like when UNCC was in the A-10, and we compared their funding to UNC's). But it's in the heart of the capital of Silicon Valley, there's a whole bunch of corporate money there, and I think Jean means to build the program up with external resources. Remember, he was a physics major. He's going to be able to speak to these folks on their own terms.
Report Spam   Logged
floridaram94
Freshman

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 13, 2017, 08:58:51 pm »

The 1990-91 season was my first at Fordham. Jean's shot against Seton Hall is still my favorite live game moment. I wish him well in his new position and I wish our present team well!

Sorry for not being negative.
Report Spam   Logged
Vooter
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 13, 2017, 09:39:54 pm »

In some respects, Spartans basketball is in worse shape now than the football program was a few years ago. The facilities are third-rate; the budget is minuscule

If this facility is third-rate...

http://www.sanjoseeventcenter.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/02/Event-Center-Arena.jpg

...what does that make the Rose Hill Gym?

Have you all lost your minds?
Report Spam   Logged
Bay Ridge
Freshman

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 14, 2017, 06:41:06 am »

You're right Voorter , what a dump. A major corporate sponsor prominently displayed , adequate lighting , no armory type steel beams , no hot dog stands , only chair back seats . They have no appreciation of the word historic.
Report Spam   Logged
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 14, 2017, 07:21:09 am »

Ah yes what would a story about a beloved Ram getting a head coaching job be if the usual morons didnt chime in and turn it into a facilities debate about Fordham's RHG.  Beyond pathetic.

Our job became available 2.5 years ago. We hired a search firm. Jean was not even a candidate. We hired a good coach. There is zero correlation between Jean getting the San Jose State job and our job from 2.5 years ago. The usual suspects must turn a positive story into cheap shots at Fordham, with zero correlation.  How is our job that was available 2.5 years ago related to Jean's new gig? It isn't, in any way shape or form.
Report Spam   Logged
Vooter
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 14, 2017, 07:35:59 am »

Ah yes what would a story about a beloved Ram getting a head coaching job be if the usual morons didnt chime in and turn it inot a facilities debate about Fordham's RHG.  Beyond pathetic.

Sorry, but when someone on this board posts something disparaging about another school's facilities, I just feel obligated to go see for myself. And then, when--almost invariably--a photo like the one I posted pops up, I feel obligated to post it so that people here don't fall completely down the delusional wormhole.

You know when the Fordham facilities question will go away? When they ADDRESS IT...
Report Spam   Logged
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 14, 2017, 07:41:02 am »

I know, you didnt light the fire, it started above you in the thread.  The usual take cheap shots at Fordham for no good reason started shortly after the very positive news story about a very popular ex Ram. Unreal.
Report Spam   Logged
ace93
Arbitrary and Capricious Administrator
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 14, 2017, 09:17:27 am »

Obviously it's my opinion.  In the future should I label my posts "Fact" or "opinion". Will that pass muster?  Should everyone do that?

The guy is a coaching lifer.  Very few of guys who have dedicated their lives to the sport are not looking to get to a higher level.  It is possible that you know different people than I do and their priorities are different.  The fact that Fordham is not a successful program surely would make it seem that should Jean turn around a historically bad mid-major he would want to do it again.  But again, you may know different kinds of coaches than I do. 

It is very common for people to say things like "in my opinion", so common that on the internet people post it as IMO. Some even post IMHO where the H stands for "humble", but I would not expect that.

As for what would happen in a x number of years if our job came open, one never knows. It is possible that it becomes open b/c of success by the coach at the time. What Jean Prioleau would do then would depend much on how he has done at SJSU and whether Fordham has interest in him. It is not as straightforward as you make it out to be, IMO.
Report Spam   Logged

Nothing replaces success in the revenue sports.  Nothing.  That's not to take away from the success in the Olympic sports - they do matter.  It isn't a replacement for success in the flagship sports. - Debbie Yow, AD - NC State

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: