fordhamfans.com
November 17, 2017, 12:47:17 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Gallery Login Register  

San Jose State to hire Jean Prioleau as head coach

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: San Jose State to hire Jean Prioleau as head coach  (Read 2550 times)
ace93
Arbitrary and Capricious Administrator
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: August 14, 2017, 09:19:25 am »

Sorry, but when someone on this board posts something disparaging about another school's facilities, I just feel obligated to go see for myself. And then, when--almost invariably--a photo like the one I posted pops up, I feel obligated to post it so that people here don't fall completely down the delusional wormhole.

You know when the Fordham facilities question will go away? When they ADDRESS IT...

Those disparaging words were from an article, assuming you are referring to the following post. (the stress is mine)

Well then maybe you should take that wager with Rich.  Grin

I don't know if things at SJS basketball have improved since 2013, but this is from an article when Jean's predecessor was hired four years ago.

In some respects, Spartans basketball is in worse shape now than the football program was a few years ago.

The facilities are third-rate; the budget is minuscule; the roster is largely devoid of talent; and the competition is about to turn brutal with SJSU’s jump into the Mountain West Conference.

When Bleymaier dismissed longtime SJSU coach George Nessman last month and began his national search, Wojcik was on the shortlist.

“He’s been in programs where you had to build,” Bleymaier explained. “Then you couple that with his enthusiasm and energy.”

But energy alone won’t make SJSU a contender in the Mountain West. The Spartans are in desperate need of infrastructure upgrades.

The men’s basketball budget (approximately $1.4 million annually, according to Department of Education data) is one-third that of the top teams in the MWC. Nessman’s office was in a downtown parking garage. The program doesn’t have its own locker room or practice facility.
Report Spam   Logged

Nothing replaces success in the revenue sports.  Nothing.  That's not to take away from the success in the Olympic sports - they do matter.  It isn't a replacement for success in the flagship sports. - Debbie Yow, AD - NC State
SIram
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 14, 2017, 10:24:34 am »

I know, you didnt light the fire, it started above you in the thread.  The usual take cheap shots at Fordham for no good reason started shortly after the very positive news story about a very popular ex Ram. Unreal.

Exactly, we can be happy for Jean, who worked long and hard to become a head coach, without comparing any of it to Fordham or being critical of our program
Report Spam   Logged
Ram I Am
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 14, 2017, 12:57:02 pm »

I couldn't be happier for JP.  He is right up there with the best players that I ever saw play for Fordham, and boy was he a clutch performer.  He was very bright as I recall.  He was an excellent student who had a double major that included chemistry IIRC.  You get Great to see his hard work paying off.  I don't know much about San Jose St. but I'll be following them and rooting for their success now.
Report Spam   Logged
DamnRam
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 14, 2017, 03:59:40 pm »

Exactly, we can be happy for Jean, who worked long and hard to become a head coach, without comparing any of it to Fordham or being critical of our program

Exactly.  Jean is a Fordham alum who worked really hard to get this shot.  I wish him luck, period.
Report Spam   Logged
Scott W 86
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 14, 2017, 09:33:07 pm »

Exactly.  Jean is a Fordham alum who worked really hard to get this shot.  I wish him luck, period.

+1

As for this discussion ..... "take two NCAA appearances, and call me in the morning"
Report Spam   Logged
An Old Coach
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 14, 2017, 09:45:29 pm »

It is very common for people to say things like "in my opinion", so common that on the internet people post it as IMO. Some even post IMHO where the H stands for "humble", but I would not expect that.

As for what would happen in a x number of years if our job came open, one never knows. It is possible that it becomes open b/c of success by the coach at the time. What Jean Prioleau would do then would depend much on how he has done at SJSU and whether Fordham has interest in him. It is not as straightforward as you make it out to be, IMO.

Yes, I do it often. Just to make sure there is no doubt though, I will delineate future posts with that qualifier.

IMO, not many coaches want to stay on the mid-major level, no matter where they graduated from.  Jean may be the exception, I don't know him except to say hello.  Generally speaking, though, competitive people want to move up in the profession.
Report Spam   Logged
John
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 15, 2017, 11:40:08 pm »

Jean's coaching at a large state school that's not the state's flagship school (Cal). And there are other state schools (UCLA, SDSU) with higher profiles. While we at Fordham like to think that state schools dump unlimited funds on their colleges' athletic programs, that's not true. While I think you'll find the taxpayers have built SJSU a decent facility. you're likely to find that the operating budget is no greater than Fordham's, and likely a lot less. Jean's going from a state flagship to a school in the California State U. system -- a cut below the University of California system -- and will face institutional constraints from Day 1.  That being said, SJSU is an attractive school in a happening city. He will either tap into local private funds to build the team into a power, or, as someone said above, "take two NCAA appearances" and call his agent.

One can do it. I remember watching Fresno State win the NIT in the Garden years ago. Not sure if that was when Tarkanian coached them, or after, but they clearly had something going, and a HUGE group of fans who'd made the cross-country trek.

Good luck to Jean. He's certainly paid his dues and earned his shot.
Report Spam   Logged
Scott W 86
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 16, 2017, 02:14:57 pm »

Jean's coaching at a large state school that's not the state's flagship school (Cal). And there are other state schools (UCLA, SDSU) with higher profiles. While we at Fordham like to think that state schools dump unlimited funds on their colleges' athletic programs, that's not true. While I think you'll find the taxpayers have built SJSU a decent facility. you're likely to find that the operating budget is no greater than Fordham's, and likely a lot less. Jean's going from a state flagship to a school in the California State U. system -- a cut below the University of California system -- and will face institutional constraints from Day 1.  That being said, SJSU is an attractive school in a happening city. He will either tap into local private funds to build the team into a power, or, as someone said above, "take two NCAA appearances" and call his agent.

One can do it. I remember watching Fresno State win the NIT in the Garden years ago. Not sure if that was when Tarkanian coached them, or after, but they clearly had something going, and a HUGE group of fans who'd made the cross-country trek.

Good luck to Jean. He's certainly paid his dues and earned his shot.

Some additional perspective on how strapped the California schools are now. Friends recently took their son to see UC San Diego. The kid has a 34 ACT.  He's being heavily recruited by the best medical programs in his interest area (medical robotics). Public and private schools are throwing full ride offers at him across the country.

UCSD is in the top 5 for his study area.  Admissions counselor at UCSD said they'd love to have him, but the Cal coffers are so bare that they can't give any aid to top qualified out of state applicants... zero.   He'll end up at Vandy, Rice or Alabama. 

They've got problems out west.   
Report Spam   Logged
charlietags
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 18, 2017, 12:41:40 pm »

Good luck to someone who obviously deserves this opportunity.  Do great things Coach!
Report Spam   Logged
Rich93
Class of 93
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 22, 2017, 09:53:51 am »

Jean's best player gets permission to talk to other teams.  It's late so it is possible he comes back but as some of us said this will take time to turn around. 

https://www.fanragsports.com/news/rothstein-brandon-clarke-granted-permission-to-seek-transfer/
Report Spam   Logged

WINNING MATTERS

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: