fordhamfans.com
September 19, 2017, 09:30:24 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Gallery Login Register  

Army game

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 13   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Army game  (Read 7285 times)
xtey92a
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« on: August 16, 2017, 08:03:09 pm »

Is Fordham Hosting a Hospitality tent on Buffalo Soldier field again?

Edit: Of course they are!

http://www.fordhamsports.com/news/2017/8/16/join-the-fordham-football-pregame-reception-at-army.aspx

Fordham is calling them "Army" not Army-West Point

Beat Army!
Report Spam   Logged

#GoRamsGo!

Social Buttons

Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2017, 08:51:37 am »

Might be tight squeeze to get up to the game.Lakeside restaurant/Bar in Wayne, NJ has become a new spot to watch the games.  Should anyone be inclined.
Report Spam   Logged
Ram 83
Sophomore

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2017, 10:35:50 am »

Might be tight squeeze to get up to the game.Lakeside restaurant/Bar in Wayne, NJ has become a new spot to watch the games.  Should anyone be inclined.

Love Lakeside, great spot!  I'll be at the Army game, but maybe a for a road game I can't get to.
Report Spam   Logged
Rich93
Class of 93
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2017, 12:26:43 pm »

Give those of us heading up a scouting report on what to look for.
Report Spam   Logged

WINNING MATTERS
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2017, 12:30:17 pm »

From reading the camp reports, sounds like the team may be thin on the D-line right now?  Might be a tall order given how Army runs that power game.....
Report Spam   Logged
VTRAM
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2017, 01:35:10 pm »

From reading the camp reports, sounds like the team may be thin on the D-line right now?  Might be a tall order given how Army runs that power game.....

Yeah I think Army is going to be a tall task. QB and all their top backs are back. 3 starters back on OL. Huge game needed from our LBs to read the option.

Now they did have some turnover on the Defense with 3 of their Top 4 tacklers gone so I think we will score. I think our OL will be fine blocking them and our skill position players are top notch. I'm just not sure we will be able to get the ball back from them.

Looking forward to kicking off Labor Day weekend with hopefully a win.
Report Spam   Logged
PA Ram
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2017, 02:12:46 pm »

Yeah I think Army is going to be a tall task. QB and all their top backs are back. 3 starters back on OL. Huge game needed from our LBs to read the option.

Now they did have some turnover on the Defense with 3 of their Top 4 tacklers gone so I think we will score. I think our OL will be fine blocking them and our skill position players are top notch. I'm just not sure we will be able to get the ball back from them.

Looking forward to kicking off Labor Day weekend with hopefully a win.

agreed.  It's a long day fo rthe DL playing against that offense.  Just a complete grind.  You really need the ability to rotate imo.  What you describe sounds like the last time we played them where we had one or two key stops but they otherwise moved the ball at will. Importantly, they couldn't stop our O though. 

I'm not expecting much from our D given the depth on the DL issue but I do remember how awfully soft we looked the last two times we played them and I'm just curious to see if we notice anything different in the support or coverage the new staff puts into place.  It may not mean we'll be able to stop them but I would like to not feel like every play is either 8 yards down our throats or an even longer run. 

Can't wait!
Report Spam   Logged
Touchdown17
Sophomore

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2017, 02:46:35 pm »

we were thin on  #'s  on  DL during camp.   hopefully most of them are back/ready for Army.

Looking at both rosters we seem to match up well  size wise with Army starters ..  their distinct advantage is in  # of scholarship players though.  85 to our (60-63).   Plus how many guys can we travel against FBS?   

We also have a new DC.  So lets hope we play fundamentally sound against the option.  Every guy knows his responsibility each play.  If Army  out muscles us or just better football players so be it.  Nothing worse they no contain or blown assignments.

www.compughterratings.com

If punch in teams
this says Army      41 
             Fordham  25         

looks like Ill be gambling  August 1st.   and it be on the underdog.   Grin
Report Spam   Logged
Ram-Spouse
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2017, 09:49:10 pm »

Where is everyone sitting?  I heard that we got crap tickets again.  I am very concerned about this game.  All reports I read about them is that they have their skill position players back plus enormous depth.  Their DL look extremely athletic.  We can't afford any turnovers or any injuries in this game.  Any cut blocks by them could ruin our season being how thin we are with depth on the defensive side.

« Last Edit: August 23, 2017, 10:05:35 pm by Ram-Spouse » Report Spam   Logged
pjd
Junior

Tertullian - Model Levite Priest

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2017, 09:55:43 pm »

Coach; Play the best guys - let them WIN the game!
Report Spam   Logged
Ram-Spouse
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2017, 10:06:42 pm »

Coach; Play the best guys - let them WIN the game!

What?
Report Spam   Logged
BeatNavy
Freshman

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2017, 08:59:40 am »

their distinct advantage is in  # of scholarship players though.  85 to our (60-63). 

For athletic scholarships:  it's actually 0 to your (60-63).

If you go with "all cadets are on scholarship," then it's actually 174 to your (60-63).
Report Spam   Logged
An Old Coach
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2017, 09:18:19 am »

Where is everyone sitting?  I heard that we got crap tickets again.  I am very concerned about this game.  All reports I read about them is that they have their skill position players back plus enormous depth.  Their DL look extremely athletic.  We can't afford any turnovers or any injuries in this game.  Any cut blocks by them could ruin our season being how thin we are with depth on the defensive side.

We didn't get crap seats. We got the seats visiting teams usually get.  I'm sure there is going to be plenty of empty seats you can move to.

Cut blocks are legal and are over-rated as a danger.  A none- issue unless our players aren't coached to play off them.  I know ours are so its just something to deal with.  Not a big deal. 
« Last Edit: August 25, 2017, 09:36:39 am by An Old Coach » Report Spam   Logged
Chaka001
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2017, 09:27:42 am »

Key to the game is developing a lead and not plying from behind.  Since they have a grind it out clock eating offense it is tough to play from behind.  Get a lead and force them to pass and the chances of winning increase significantly. 
Special teams and turnovers are also a major wildcard so you never know what happens if these two areas sway our way.

Bottom line is we have to stop/minimize their offense and if so the Rams can win this one.

Report Spam   Logged
An Old Coach
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2017, 09:43:25 am »

For athletic scholarships:  it's actually 0 to your (60-63).

If you go with "all cadets are on scholarship," then it's actually 174 to your (60-63).

Virtually all service academy football players would be scholarship level players somewhere, so I think it's legitimate to say they have at least 85 scholarship players. 
Report Spam   Logged
RamAlum13
Freshman

lord i was born a ramblin man

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2017, 10:42:08 am »

Virtually all service academy football players would be scholarship level players somewhere, so I think it's legitimate to say they have at least 85 scholarship players. 

No they aren't - I mean they obviously have some really good players but I'm gonna respectfully disagree here and say that their best guys are kids that are in the bottom half of the total talent pool of schollie guys nationwide - with many of the other players not really having a chance to play outside of and army level tier of football.
Report Spam   Logged
ace93
Arbitrary and Capricious Administrator
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2017, 10:54:03 am »

No they aren't - I mean they obviously have some really good players but I'm gonna respectfully disagree here and say that their best guys are kids that are in the bottom half of the total talent pool of schollie guys nationwide - with many of the other players not really having a chance to play outside of and army level tier of football.

Not even in the many FCS scholarship programs? So basically you are saying that they would not be scholarship level in the Patriot League?
Report Spam   Logged

Nothing replaces success in the revenue sports.  Nothing.  That's not to take away from the success in the Olympic sports - they do matter.  It isn't a replacement for success in the flagship sports. - Debbie Yow, AD - NC State
xtey92a
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2017, 11:28:11 am »

I recall an article a few years back about Army-West Point on Hudson athletes not bulking up due to the rigorous PT they must go through.

Report Spam   Logged

#GoRamsGo!
An Old Coach
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2017, 11:33:32 am »

Army recruits scholarship level athletes.  I don't know that I ever saw a kid there or at the other academies that wouldn't get a ride somewhere.  They wouldn't hold up in practice if they couldn't play at a decent level.  Some might be on the FCS level but any kid on a depth chart at an academy would get a scholarship somewhere or play in the Ivy League.
Report Spam   Logged
Fordham Lurker
Sophomore

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2017, 11:39:08 am »

Army recruits scholarship level athletes.  I don't know that I ever saw a kid there or at the other academies that wouldn't get a ride somewhere.  They wouldn't hold up in practice if they couldn't play at a decent level.  Some might be on the FCS level but any kid on a depth chart at an academy would get a scholarship somewhere or play in the Ivy League.

You are 100% correct.  Army football recruits serious athletes who would have received a scholarship somewhere in Division I or have played Ivy League football.

I would bet if you looked back on the 'net, you would see every player on the Army roster has a recruiting history that involves teams that play at some level of Division I.
Report Spam   Logged
RamAlum13
Freshman

lord i was born a ramblin man

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2017, 11:39:23 am »

I think i misunderstood what you meant by scholarship players - i agree that they would certianly play at Fordham/Ivies but i was thinking you meant 1A players. My bad!

I do think we match up pretty well talent wise though.
Report Spam   Logged
BeatNavy
Freshman

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2017, 12:41:02 pm »

I recall an article a few years back about Army-West Point on Hudson athletes not bulking up due to the rigorous PT they must go through.

Ill-informed article at the worst, but certainly out-of-date as of now.  Unless, of course, you think a 6-4, 300 pounder is worried about his 2-mile run time.

They have to pass a PT test to graduate, but PT tests during playing days are modified.  They also have to meet commissioning height/weight standards by graduation -- and they are provided diet/nutrition/exercise assistance after their playing days are over in order to meet those standards.
Report Spam   Logged
BeatNavy
Freshman

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 25, 2017, 12:44:32 pm »

You are 100% correct.  Army football recruits serious athletes who would have received a scholarship somewhere in Division I or have played Ivy League football.

I would bet if you looked back on the 'net, you would see every player on the Army roster has a recruiting history that involves teams that play at some level of Division I.

Recruiting history, sure.  Written offer of athletic scholarship to D-I (FBS or FCS)?  Most, but certainly not all.  Written athletic scholarship offer to D-II or above?  Almost certainly.

FWIW, here is what 247sports has on a few of our projected starters:

FB Darnell Woolfolk - http://247sports.com/Recruitment/Darnell-Woolfork-33270/RecruitInterests

LB Alex Aukerman - http://247sports.com/Recruitment/Alex-Aukerman-37080/RecruitInterests

LB Scott Washle - http://247sports.com/Recruitment/Scott-Washle-29833/RecruitInterests

Many on our roster doesn't even appear in 247sports' recruiting database -- http://247sports.com/Team/Army-Black-Knights-Football-107/Roster
Report Spam   Logged
xtey92a
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 25, 2017, 03:33:54 pm »

Ill-informed article at the worst, but certainly out-of-date as of now.  Unless, of course, you think a 6-4, 300 pounder is worried about his 2-mile run time.

They have to pass a PT test to graduate, but PT tests during playing days are modified.  They also have to meet commissioning height/weight standards by graduation -- and they are provided diet/nutrition/exercise assistance after their playing days are over in order to meet those standards.

They will certainly have stamina.
Report Spam   Logged

#GoRamsGo!
BeatNavy
Freshman

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 25, 2017, 04:50:05 pm »

They will certainly have stamina.

Not necessarily.

I know a slotback-turned-wide-receiver from the Sutton/Berry years (read: triple option / pro style years) who was super fast -- was on the track team, and last I checked still held part of at least one Army track relay record -- who had real trouble on the 2-mile run portion of the Army Physical Fitness Test.
Report Spam   Logged
ace93
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 25, 2017, 05:27:47 pm »

Not necessarily.

I know a slotback-turned-wide-receiver from the Sutton/Berry years (read: triple option / pro style years) who was super fast -- was on the track team, and last I checked still held part of at least one Army track relay record -- who had real trouble on the 2-mile run portion of the Army Physical Fitness Test.

What's the requirement? I know a former soccer player at Fordham that had serious struggles on long runs. He was a goalkeeper though.
Report Spam   Logged

Nothing replaces success in the revenue sports.  Nothing.  That's not to take away from the success in the Olympic sports - they do matter.  It isn't a replacement for success in the flagship sports. - Debbie Yow, AD - NC State
shortshot
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 25, 2017, 06:17:28 pm »

What's the requirement? I know a former soccer player at Fordham that had serious struggles on long runs. He was a goalkeeper though.
It is based on age. In this case, the 17 to 21 age bracket for males passing is 60 points for a time of 15:54. To get a max of 100 points, the soldier has to run a 13 minute 2 mile. The Army is currently testing a new APFT (Army Physical Fitness Test).
Report Spam   Logged
J-Sal
Freshman

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 25, 2017, 06:54:59 pm »

Yeah but this was waaaay back when Fordham would let just about anyone play keeper, correct?    Evil
Report Spam   Logged
ace93
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 26, 2017, 11:23:02 am »

It is based on age. In this case, the 17 to 21 age bracket for males passing is 60 points for a time of 15:54. To get a max of 100 points, the soldier has to run a 13 minute 2 mile. The Army is currently testing a new APFT (Army Physical Fitness Test).

Passing seems very reasonable, but could see how someone who played on one of the lines would have to get themselves back into that kind of shape.
Report Spam   Logged

Ram-Spouse
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 28, 2017, 11:49:52 am »

game week....this place is a ghost town.  Not good.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 13   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: