fordhamfans.com
November 20, 2017, 05:51:07 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Gallery Login Register  

regarding the future of QBs. 3 stars Indiana transfer

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: regarding the future of QBs. 3 stars Indiana transfer  (Read 943 times)
dajr
Freshman

View Profile
« on: August 30, 2017, 01:02:36 am »

http://www.ajc.com/news/local/from-fulton-leaves-big-ten-school-for-fcs-program/03WcClCCZrl6LWZVGWpWbK/
« Last Edit: August 30, 2017, 09:35:22 am by dajr » Report Spam   Logged

Social Buttons

JohnG92
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2017, 07:52:57 am »

this seems like huge news.
Report Spam   Logged
Fordham Lurker
Sophomore

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2017, 08:39:49 am »

Still has three years of eligibility.  Obviously he's the guy to beat for the starting job in '18 and, once he acclimates to the system, it looks like we won't lose a bit if Anderson gets hurt and misses some time.
Report Spam   Logged
Touchdown17
Sophomore

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2017, 09:51:23 am »

looks like a solid pick up for us.  It'll be interesting to see if he can wrestle the 2nd string job from Medlock as the season progresses (learns playbook and gets acclimated to his teammates).

Medlock although a senior should be able to return next year as he red shirted his 1st year at FAU. 
Also  Smith and Ollie  will be seniors -  would they see the writing on the wall and try to transfer to a program where they have a better chance to start play.   example  Pioneer league team,   D2  etc.   

We have a freshman QB signed for 2018 class.  That should be fine (stay committed to us)  because  every program will have competition  (and all these guys next year will be seniors/ King - junior).

If Ollie and Smith wish to stay here, could they possibly play special teams  or change positions    (Ollie  Free safety etc)  idk.   

Good problem to have.   
Report Spam   Logged
An Old Coach
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2017, 10:03:46 am »

Great pick-up for Rams.   I don't know that he'd help this year should Andersen go down but for next year he could be the guy. 
Report Spam   Logged
NYRam07
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2017, 10:04:54 am »

looks like a solid pick up for us.  It'll be interesting to see if he can wrestle the 2nd string job from Medlock as the season progresses (learns playbook and gets acclimated to his teammates).

Medlock although a senior should be able to return next year as he red shirted his 1st year at FAU. 
Also  Smith and Ollie  will be seniors -  would they see the writing on the wall and try to transfer to a program where they have a better chance to start play.   example  Pioneer league team,   D2  etc.   

We have a freshman QB signed for 2018 class.  That should be fine (stay committed to us)  because  every program will have competition  (and all these guys next year will be seniors/ King - junior).

If Ollie and Smith wish to stay here, could they possibly play special teams  or change positions    (Ollie  Free safety etc)  idk.   

Good problem to have.   

I don't suspect we'll lose Smith or Ollie. You just don't see transfers like that at this level. Anything could happen though.
Report Spam   Logged
ace93
Arbitrary and Capricious Administrator
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2017, 10:12:17 am »

Also  Smith and Ollie  will be seniors -  would they see the writing on the wall and try to transfer to a program where they have a better chance to start play.   example  Pioneer league team,   D2  etc.  

Good problem to have.  

If Medlock was not redshirted due to injury, it is possible the PL won't grant him that 5th year.
Report Spam   Logged

Nothing replaces success in the revenue sports.  Nothing.  That's not to take away from the success in the Olympic sports - they do matter.  It isn't a replacement for success in the flagship sports. - Debbie Yow, AD - NC State
VTRAM
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2017, 11:12:16 am »

I don't suspect we'll lose Smith or Ollie. You just don't see transfers like that at this level. Anything could happen though.

I bet we see a position change.
Report Spam   Logged
RamAlum13
Freshman

lord i was born a ramblin man

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2017, 11:28:02 am »

you also gotta imagine he's gonna push the hell out of anderson in rpactice as well - obviously i'd be shocked if anyone but than anderson was out there - but this kid will bring instant value to our team as another reason for anderson to go 100000% in

this is massive - the formula of transfer qb's is the way to go

go rams!
Report Spam   Logged
An Old Coach
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2017, 11:51:19 am »

you also gotta imagine he's gonna push the hell out of anderson in rpactice as well - obviously i'd be shocked if anyone but than anderson was out there - but this kid will bring instant value to our team as another reason for anderson to go 100000% in

this is massive - the formula of transfer qb's is the way to go

go rams!

Anderson is untouchable barring injury. He's the qb, period.   He doesn't need any pushing and that won't happen.  He's done a great job.  No reason that will change.  I also don't see Smith or Ollie going anywhere.  They're program guys.  And at this point they don't have much value to another scholarship program.
Report Spam   Logged
PA Ram
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2017, 11:57:01 am »

Anderson is untouchable barring injury. He's the qb, period.   He doesn't need any pushing and that won't happen.  He's done a great job.  No reason that will change.  I also don't see Smith or Ollie going anywhere.  They're program guys.  And at this point they don't have much value to another scholarship program.

absolutely agreed
Report Spam   Logged
NYRam07
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2017, 12:08:56 pm »

I had the opportunity to Speak to Anderson at length right before camp started. He is laser focused and he is coming into the season prepared and ready to go. His ultimate goal is the NFL and he knows that he and Fordham both need stellar seasons to give himself the best chance at achieving that goal. I don't think he needs any further motivation.

also, I agree with your above points. There's no QB controversy here.
Report Spam   Logged
Fordham Lurker
Sophomore

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2017, 01:34:01 pm »

Agreed.  Anderson is the guy.  You don't fix what ain't broke.  He ain't broke.  This is back-up for this year, assuming he picks up the system fast enough. 
Report Spam   Logged
BeatNavy
Freshman

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2017, 02:13:00 pm »

If Medlock was not redshirted due to injury, it is possible the PL won't grant him that 5th year.

5 years to play 4 is an NCAA rule -- I don't follow PL football as closely as you guys do, does the PL not allow redshirting?
Report Spam   Logged
NYRam07
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2017, 02:28:20 pm »

5 years to play 4 is an NCAA rule -- I don't follow PL football as closely as you guys do, does the PL not allow redshirting?

We're not allowed to redshirt players unless they miss a year due to injury. Its a PL rule.
Report Spam   Logged
ace93
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2017, 02:45:04 pm »

The partial-qualifier is an NCAA rule as well, yet conferences have their own rules as to what they allow with partial-qualifiers.

The PL only allows redshirts due to injury/medical reasons. And that's an advancement in the rule, as when the PL was first formed they did not allow medical redshirts at all (assuming what I was told as a senior is true).
Report Spam   Logged

Nothing replaces success in the revenue sports.  Nothing.  That's not to take away from the success in the Olympic sports - they do matter.  It isn't a replacement for success in the flagship sports. - Debbie Yow, AD - NC State
Kaup
Freshman

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2017, 02:48:22 pm »

Agreed on all counts.  Watched some of King's high school videos over the weekend - he can make a lot of different throws and seemed to have good footwork and pocket awareness.  I think I read he originally committed to N.C. State and had interest from some other big time schools before going to Indiana.
Report Spam   Logged
BeatNavy
Freshman

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2017, 03:35:41 pm »

We're not allowed to redshirt players unless they miss a year due to injury. Its a PL rule.

Thanks, wow, that's harsh.

I get the whole "we're better than NCAA minimums" thing, obviously, but wow.  Does the Ivy League do that too?
Report Spam   Logged
ace93
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2017, 03:48:36 pm »

I get the whole "we're better than NCAA minimums" thing, obviously, but wow.  Does the Ivy League do that too?

The Ivy League takes is a step further, they don't allow a 5th year even if for medical reasons.
http://www.brownbears.com/compliance/medical_hardship

Here is one story on it: https://medium.com/full-court-press-cornell-daily-sun/how-the-ivy-league-is-forcing-out-student-athletes-885c8311e25a

Keep in mind that the athlete can still apply for a medical redshirt and play a 5th year elsewhere assuming they have graduated.
Report Spam   Logged

J-Sal
Freshman

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2017, 11:06:27 pm »

The PL only allows redshirts due to injury/medical reasons. And that's an advancement in the rule, as when the PL was first formed they did not allow medical redshirts at all (assuming what I was told as a senior is true).
Maybe it wasn't true?  I clearly remember the PL allowing Mark Blazejewski to come back as a 5th yr senior in '92.  Even in hoops the PL let Fred Herzog come back as a 5th yr senior earlier that same year.  (On a personal note I'm glad I got the chance to throw out those 2 names!)
Report Spam   Logged
J-Sal
Freshman

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2017, 11:15:28 pm »

Not sure if you're having fun with us but unless your name is Napoleon McCallum, I'm pretty sure that very few, if any, Service Academy players ever get a 5th year.  Just ask Tago Smith.
Report Spam   Logged
ace93
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2017, 12:36:57 am »

Maybe it wasn't true?  I clearly remember the PL allowing Mark Blazejewski to come back as a 5th yr senior in '92.  Even in hoops the PL let Fred Herzog come back as a 5th yr senior earlier that same year.  (On a personal note I'm glad I got the chance to throw out those 2 names!)

Perhaps they had not yet graduated which was one of the stipulations of the rule. The logic being that allowing graduates was unfair to the pl schools that did not have grad programs. Or perhaps they were allowed because both started their careers outside of the pl.
Report Spam   Logged

BeatNavy
Freshman

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2017, 02:32:38 pm »

Not sure if you're having fun with us but unless your name is Napoleon McCallum, I'm pretty sure that very few, if any, Service Academy players ever get a 5th year.  Just ask Tago Smith.

I wasn't asking about service academy athletes, I was asking about Patriot League football.
Report Spam   Logged
JimboCBA72
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 31, 2017, 05:27:56 pm »

King redshirted in '15 at Indiana. If the PL doesn't recognize that for some reason, then he'll have just this year and next with us. Or am I wrong?
Report Spam   Logged
Vooter
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 01, 2017, 11:06:28 am »

Wow...that seems like a great pickup for us...way to go!
Report Spam   Logged
NYRam07
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 01, 2017, 11:12:35 am »

According to 247sports.com, King was a three-star prospect at Alpharetta and rated as the 30th best quarterback in his class across the nation. He held 15 scholarship offers, including ones from North Carolina State and University of Central Florida along with Yale, West Virginia, Georgia State and Harvard universities.

That's some pretty serious stuff. Seems like a HUGE pickup for the Rams.

I watched a good chunk of the IU game last night. Their starting QB looked pretty darn good, and they had a red-shirt freshman who was getting time as a change of pace guy. Both seemed pretty talented.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: