fordhamfans.com
September 21, 2017, 06:27:42 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Gallery Login Register  

Fordham @ CCSU

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fordham @ CCSU  (Read 4712 times)
NYRam07
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #150 on: September 11, 2017, 12:10:11 pm »

Yeeeeaa but its the best....what can I say - the years playing in the dark ages right before JoMo have rendered me a masochist

I had 3 head coaches in 4 years and played in-between 2 PL Titles. I get it... believe me, I do. This is just too much for me. Mainly because I think its unwarranted, right now, and I can't deal with the people who really seem to enjoy the losing - I'm looking at you HKRAm and your prediction of 3 wins or less and AB getting fired. Too many people seem to enjoy the "I told you we would suck" BS. Its not informative, its not really engaging conversation and its just annoying. 
Report Spam   Logged
Ram-Spouse
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #151 on: September 11, 2017, 12:10:52 pm »

This place (FB boards) has become a cesspool of negativity.

Being critical and being negative are completely different.  Living in a "rose-colored" glasses world is no way to build a program.  That article, which AB approved and was interviewed for is highly enlightening.  What aspect of his coaching style is "old school" as he stated?  Also, using Rich Rodriguez as your coaching "mentor" speaks volumes also.  I am not saying that Rich-Rod is not a good coach but from an overall discipline and game planning standpoint, but I am not sure if he would be put to the top of my list as a guy I want to mimic.

I am tired of critical statements being viewed as "negative"......We dodged a major bullet last Saturday.  We lose that game then we are in a full tailspin.  We have Zero cupcakes left on our schedule.
Report Spam   Logged
NYRam07
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #152 on: September 11, 2017, 12:14:40 pm »

Being critical and being negative are completely different.  Living in a "rose-colored" glasses world is no way to build a program.  That article, which AB approved and was interviewed for is highly enlightening.  What aspect of his coaching style is "old school" as he stated?  Also, using Rich Rodriguez as your coaching "mentor" speaks volumes also.  I am not saying that Rich-Rod is not a good coach but from an overall discipline and game planning standpoint I am not sure if he would put to the top of my list as a guy I want to mimic.

I am tired of critical statements being viewed as "negative"......We dodged a major bullet last Saturday.  We lose that game then we are in a full tailspin.  We have Zero cupcakes left on our schedule.

Calling for a coach's head 1.5 games into a season after going 8-3 isn't critical, its over reacting. Over analyzing a friggin fluff piece article isn't critical, its crazy.

Report Spam   Logged
NYRam07
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #153 on: September 11, 2017, 12:16:15 pm »

Also, is anyone else tired of the "rose colored glasses" comment ANY TIME someone disagrees with you?
Report Spam   Logged
PA Ram
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #154 on: September 11, 2017, 12:16:45 pm »

The football folks took a calculated gamble with this hire. High risk high reward. Are we getting the hot young up and comer before he goes elsewhere or are we hiring a guy who is too young and not ready for this level position. Time will tell, but I disagree its about negativity, its perectly rational reaction to what people are seeing on the field.
I think you're idea of the football folks having the say in a decision like this is off the mark.  Some schools have alums/gridiron clubs involved as part of the search committee but we don't.  This was Roach's call and I'm pretty sure it was heavily influenced by a strong Moorhead recommendation.  
Report Spam   Logged
NYRam07
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #155 on: September 11, 2017, 12:19:17 pm »

The football folks took a calculated gamble with this hire. High risk high reward. Are we getting the hot young up and comer before he goes elsewhere or are we hiring a guy who is too young and not ready for this level position. Time will tell, but I disagree its about negativity, its perectly rational reaction to what people are seeing on the field.

I don't disagree with your point about the risk/reward aspect of the hire. I do disagree with your point on whether or not some people's reactions can be considered "rational" right now. I think its far to early to get that bent out of shape. Coach is 9-4 and two of those losses were to FBS teams. One was to the eventual PL champion.
Report Spam   Logged
Ram-Spouse
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #156 on: September 11, 2017, 12:19:20 pm »

2 weeks ago we were chatting about how Chase was going to break the all-time NCAA rushing and TD records, he was the face of Fordham football from a marketing standpoint and how he was going to be playing on Sundays in the future.  AB doesn't even have him as our primary weapon in the offensive scheme, he has been beaten up for the last two weeks due to our questionable game planning and now he is sidelined indefinitely and the prospect of him returning to his old self are highly doubtful.

Yes, those our disappointing comments, but not even remotely "negative"
Report Spam   Logged
Ram-Spouse
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #157 on: September 11, 2017, 12:23:55 pm »

Coach is 9-4 and two of those losses were to FBS teams.

NO.  Two of those losses were blowout embarrassments where we looked undisciplined, not prepared to play and the opposing teams were dominating us with 4th string players, One 4th string player being in street clothes (actually a Navy uniform) and pulled out of the stands to play.
Report Spam   Logged
NYRam07
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #158 on: September 11, 2017, 12:26:17 pm »

2 weeks ago we were chatting about how Chase was going to break the all-time NCAA rushing and TD records, he was the face of Fordham football from a marketing standpoint and how he was going to be playing on Sundays in the future.  AB doesn't even have him as our primary weapon in the offensive scheme, he has been beaten up for the last two weeks due to our questionable game planning and now he is sidelined indefinitely and the prospect of him returning to his old self are highly doubtful.

Yes, those our disappointing comments, but not even remotely "negative"

Lost you right at the end there.... we don't even have a full report on his health yet? Even if it is a high ankle sprain, he'll be fine once he's healed. The issue isn't whether or not he'll return to his old self, its how long it'll take. We need to wait and see whats wrong before we start making claims that he wont be the same Chase as he was before. You see, that's the stuff I'm talking about. That's being overly and unnecessarily negative. He'll have several weeks to recover before PL play starts. Let's see what his status is before we start digging his grave.
Report Spam   Logged
NYRam07
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #159 on: September 11, 2017, 12:26:53 pm »

NO.  Two of those losses were blowout embarrassments where we looked undisciplined, not prepared to play and the opposing teams were dominating us with 4th string players, One 4th string player being in street clothes (actually a Navy uniform) and pulled out of the stands to play.

You're right - every FCS coach that gets blown out by an FBS team should be on the hot seat  Shocked
Report Spam   Logged
Ram-Spouse
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #160 on: September 11, 2017, 12:35:42 pm »

You're right - every FCS coach that gets blown out by an FBS team should be on the hot seat  Shocked

Missed the point......AGAIN.

So let me paint this picture for you....AB goes 8-3 last year.  Lets pretend that we go 8-3, 9-2 or possibly even 10-1 this year followed up by a 8, 9 or 10 win season next year.  Guess what happens in 2019?  We have a new coach.  Because he has left for greener pastures.  Yes, I am sure that Coach Joe gave AB a huge endorsement, as he should.  On paper AB is a great coach, but that is why Roach and the powers that be make the big bucks.  Zero coaching search?  Come on, that is foolish.  Do you have any clue who could have been the potential "qualifed" candidates that were interested in our position.  This is foolish.  We are allowed and should have this discussion here on these boards.  We spent years speculating about Hill, Wittenberg and Pecora.  Why can't we do it here?
Report Spam   Logged
VTRAM
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #161 on: September 11, 2017, 12:37:13 pm »

Look I am as frustrated as anyone that the team has looked less than stellar this year and could be headed for a tough season. I want to see what happens this week but the possibility is there that we finish mid-pack in the PL. That being said, the criticism of Breiner is a bit over the top. This is year 2 for him running the program. He was probably a Monmouth OT loss away from the playoffs last year.

Also the point that I think a lot of people are conveniently overlooking is that this is also just his 2nd recruiting class. I love what Joe Moorhead did for our program more than anyone but the Srs. and Jrs. on this team are his recruits. Especially on defense the last two recruiting classes for JM were very light. Here are the defensive recruits in those classes:

2014:
Tony Fox, DL, 6-2, 270, Fairfield, Conn./Fairfield College Prep - RP
Ty Green, DL, 6-4, 270, Ashland, Ohio/Ashland - S
Caleb Ham, Ath., 6-1, 180, McDonough, Ga./Union Grove - AL
Marcus Hicks, DB, 5-10, 170, Millersville, Md./Old Mill Senior
Josh Klecko, DL, 6-2, 270, Red Bank, N.J./Red Bank Catholic (Rutgers)
Niko Thorpe, LB, 5-11, 230, Pittsburgh, Pa./Central Catholic - S
Jonathon Dimon, DL, 6-0, 234, Florence, N.J. / Notre Dame - RP
Nick Angeli   Jr., DL, 6-1, 286,Westfield, N.J. / St. Peter's Prep - S

2015:
Name   Pos.   Ht.   Wt.   Hometown/High School (Last School)
Noah Fitzgerald   LB   6-0   204   Glen Burnie, Md./Old Mill
Antonio Jackson   DB   6-2   180   Leesburg, Va./Loudon County
Ryan Kroeger   DL   6-2   280   Atlantic Highlands, N.J./Red Bank Catholic
Tyler Long   DB   6-2   190   New Riegel, Ohio/Tiffin Calvert
Dylan Mabin   DB   6-1   180   Macedonia, Ohio/Nordonia
Lawrence Menyah   DB   6-2   201   Bronx, N.Y./Brooklyn Tech
Bryce Petty   DB   6-1   165   Carrol Stream, Ill./Bartlett

This is a bulk of the starters on D. Some bad luck obviously with Thorpe and Fox who would have been major contributors but the question should be asked if the talent is there. If you want to take it a step further you could also argue that JM's two best years were 2013 and 2014 when the D was littered with Masella recruits like Hodge, Ian Williams, Jordan Chapman, Biestek, Dixon, Slate, Hancock, Difusco, Tenuta..etc.
Report Spam   Logged
NYRam07
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #162 on: September 11, 2017, 12:42:03 pm »

Missed the point......AGAIN.

So let me paint this picture for you....AB goes 8-3 last year.  Lets pretend that we go 8-3, 9-2 or possibly even 10-1 this year followed up by a 8, 9 or 10 win season next year.  Guess what happens in 2019?  We have a new coach.  Because he has left for greener pastures.  Yes, I am sure that Coach Joe gave AB a huge endorsement, as he should.  On paper AB is a great coach, but that is why Roach and the powers that be make the big bucks.  Zero coaching search?  Come on, that is foolish.  Do you have any clue who could have been the potential "qualifed" candidates that were interested in our position.  This is foolish.  We are allowed and should have this discussion here on these boards.  We spent years speculating about Hill, Wittenberg and Pecora.  Why can't we do it here?

That was your point? I don't buy it... If it was, work on making that more clear in your initial post.

I agree that there should've been a coaching search. I'm just not throwing in the towel on AB two games into his second season... at 1-1 with 1 loss to an FBS team.

Pecora never succeeded as a coach at Fordham. Wittenberg basically snapped. Hill was a disaster for many reason. I can't believe you're associating AB with those names.
Report Spam   Logged
Ram-Spouse
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #163 on: September 11, 2017, 12:44:19 pm »

That was your point? I don't buy it... If it was, work on making that more clear in your initial post.

I agree that there should've been a coaching search. I'm just not throwing in the towel on AB two games into his second season... at 1-1 with 1 loss to an FBS team.

Pecora never succeeded as a coach at Fordham. Wittenberg basically snapped. Hill was a disaster for many reason. I can't believe you're associating AB with those names.

You minimize our two FBS losses......We didn't lose those games.  We were humiliated.  THAT WAS MY POINT. 

Two of those losses were blowout embarrassments where we looked undisciplined, not prepared to play and the opposing teams were dominating us with 4th string players, One 4th string player being in street clothes (actually a Navy uniform) and pulled out of the stands to play.

Report Spam   Logged
NYRam07
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #164 on: September 11, 2017, 12:48:32 pm »

You minimize our two FBS losses......We didn't lose those games.  We were humiliated.  THAT WAS MY POINT. 

Two of those losses were blowout embarrassments where we looked undisciplined, not prepared to play and the opposing teams were dominating us with 4th string players, One 4th string player being in street clothes (actually a Navy uniform) and pulled out of the stands to play.

Of course I'm going to minimize our FBS losses. Those teams were much, much better than us. No amt of coaching was going to change the outcomes of those games. We got smacked around because they were better football teams. It's going to happen when you play up a level. Its supposed to happen actually. I'm not putting anything into those losses.

My biggest issue with those losses is that we didn't get paid enough to lose to them.
Report Spam   Logged
NYRam07
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #165 on: September 11, 2017, 12:53:14 pm »

Sometimes I can't help but laugh...

HKRam who just said a couple of days ago that "we'll be lucky to win 3 games this year" just picked Fordham to beat EWU in the pick'em thread. That'll give us 2 wins HKRam... do we start our slide against Yale?

Report Spam   Logged
Ram-Spouse
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #166 on: September 11, 2017, 12:56:03 pm »

Of course I'm going to minimize our FBS losses. Those teams were much, much better than us. No amt of coaching was going to change the outcomes of those games. We got smacked around because they were better football teams. It's going to happen when you play up a level. Its supposed to happen actually. I'm not putting anything into those losses.

My biggest issue with those losses is that we didn't get paid enough to lose to them.

nevermind, you don't get it.  Unpreparedness and lack of discipline are the Coaches fault.  Starting a game with 4 penalties, having a punting average of 20 yards and having multiple special teams breakdowns is terrible.  Having a Rich-Rod cheat sheet and being "old school" doesn't magically make your team a well-oiled machine.
Report Spam   Logged
NYRam07
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #167 on: September 11, 2017, 01:04:01 pm »

nevermind, you don't get it.  Unpreparedness and lack of discipline are the Coaches fault.  Starting a game with 4 penalties, having a punting average of 20 yards and having multiple special teams breakdowns is terrible.  Having a Rich-Rod cheat sheet and being "old school" doesn't magically make your team a well-oiled machine.

No, I get what you're saying, but I don't buy it. We had a last minute scratch of a starting o-linemen which lead to a freshman starting. A freshman starting his first game against an FBS opponent.. sorry, but I'm not blaming coach for his false start and his holding penalty in the first 4 plays. The illegal man down field was not ABs fault either. It was a designed screen play and Anderson held the ball because it looked like the CB read it perfectly and was going to cut in front of the pass for an easy TD. Delay of game to start? Yeah, that's inexcusable.

You're viewing everything in the extreme. I disagree that its rational to call ABs status as our coach into question.
Report Spam   Logged
An Old Coach
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #168 on: September 11, 2017, 02:22:52 pm »

No.  An FCS coach who has had 3 kicks blocked and I've lost track of the number of penalties and will probably be without his best player in Fordham's biggest home game in years better pull in the oars and do some coaching because we're not seeing a lot of it.

This is starting to sound like Pecora.  "He's a really good recruiter but..."
Report Spam   Logged
NYRam07
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #169 on: September 11, 2017, 02:37:10 pm »

No.  An FCS coach who has had 3 kicks blocked and I've lost track of the number of penalties and will probably be without his best player in Fordham's biggest home game in years better pull in the oars and do some coaching because we're not seeing a lot of it.

This is starting to sound like Pecora.  "He's bring in great players but..."

Oh please...2 comparisons to Pecora already... this is borderline insane. Did Pecora ever have a winning record at any point in his run as HC?

I'm not sitting here pretending that he's the greatest coach we've ever had, but I firmly believe this panic is a bit premature. I might feel differently in 8 weeks. I might not.

AOC - what did you do to develop this "discipline" in your players that magically prevents mental errors and penalties? Did your teams commit actually less penalties? Do you know what AB is doing or not doing in practice? Aside from anecdotal b*tching about discipline or whatever, does anyone actually know if AB lead teams (small sample size, but decent enough) commit more penalties that Moorhead teams? I'd love to concede this point. Someone show me that we're this terribly undisciplined team and AB is the cause.

Report Spam   Logged
An Old Coach
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #170 on: September 11, 2017, 02:46:03 pm »

Oh please...2 comparisons to Pecora already... this is borderline insane. Did Pecora ever have a winning record at any point in his run as HC?

I'm not sitting pretending that he's the greatest coach we've ever had, but I firmly believe this panic is a bit premature. I might feel differently in 8 weeks. I might not.

AOC - what did you do to develop this "discipline" in your players that magically prevents mental errors and penalties? Did your teams commit actually less penalties? Do you know what AB is doing or not doing in practice? Aside from anecdotal b*tching about discipline or whatever, does anyone actually know if AB lead teams (small sample size, but decent enough) commit more penalties that Moorhead teams? I'd love to concede this point. Someone show me that we're this terribly undisciplined team and AB is the cause.

Discipline is a culture instilled by the coaching staff, led by the head coach.  It has nothing to do with extra running or grass drills or punishment for errors.  It's leadership.

I know that I've never seen anywhere a game start off with four penalties or 3 blocked kicks in two games.  Something is missing in AB's approach.

By the way, 20 penalties in two games is horrendous no matter how you look at it.
Report Spam   Logged
Ram-Spouse
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #171 on: September 11, 2017, 02:48:49 pm »

Discipline is a culture instilled by the coaching staff, led by the head coach.  It has nothing to do with extra running or grass drills or punishment for errors.  It's leadership.

I know that I've never seen anywhere a game start off with four penalties or 3 blocked kicks in two games.  Something is missing in AB's approach.

It must not be on Rich-Rod's cheat sheet that he uses.
Report Spam   Logged
HKRam
Waterboy

View Profile
« Reply #172 on: September 11, 2017, 02:49:50 pm »

NYRAm07 - please stop. The act is really old.

Report Spam   Logged
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #173 on: September 11, 2017, 02:58:37 pm »

Better comparisons are 1.  Ed Foley  2. Jared Grasso ( due to the age/inexperience).

Foley was 5-6 then 2-9 and got the quick hook. I want Breiner to succeed, to be wildly succeed but I dont see a long leash here.   Not sure how the hire went down but it seemed a wee bit odd to hire a guy this young with so little experience. He may turn out to be a home run, caught on the way up, but reality tells me that if this season goes below .500 it might be rough......hopefully that doesnt happen....
Report Spam   Logged
NYRam07
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #174 on: September 11, 2017, 03:07:09 pm »

NYRAm07 - please stop. The act is really old.

What Act? If you're going to make outlandish claims, you should be held to them. Lucky to win 3 games, right? AB isn't fit to run this program, right? I'll check in with you at the end of the season and then you can (hopefully) admit that you were flat out wrong.
Report Spam   Logged
NYRam07
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #175 on: September 11, 2017, 03:10:49 pm »

Better comparisons are 1.  Ed Foley  2. Jared Grasso ( due to the age/inexperience).

Foley was 5-6 then 2-9 and got the quick hook. I want Breiner to succeed, to be wildly succeed but I dont see a long leash here.   Not sure how the hire went down but it seemed a wee bit odd to hire a guy this young with so little experience. He may turn out to be a home run, caught on the way up, but reality tells me that if this season goes below .500 it might be rough......hopefully that doesnt happen....

At least you're making logical comparisons, even though I still disagree that we're at that point.
Report Spam   Logged
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #176 on: September 11, 2017, 03:14:13 pm »

Here's why I think some folks are getting worried. Losing big to Army was to be expected. OK.  And losing by 50+? not good, but whatever.  However, imbedded in that loss was some bad, inexcusable football. (I am still trying to get past taking a delay of game penalty on the FIRST PLAY OF THE SEASON!).

However.

The real issue lies in the fact that when everyone saw the schedule for this year, I am sure that every single one of us looked at CCSU and said "W".  There was speculation that it would give the team time to recover from the physical beating that everyone (rightly) expected from Army.  

We were fortunate to beat CCSU.  CCSU.  A couple of picks at the end of the game gave us the win.  We should have never been in that position.

To see continued bad football is worrisome.  It's too soon to call for the coach's head, but is certainly appropriate to wonder why things don't seem to be going in the right direction.
Report Spam   Logged
NYRam07
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #177 on: September 11, 2017, 03:16:01 pm »

By the way, 20 penalties in two games is horrendous no matter how you look at it.

In a vacuum 4 penalties to open the game looks brutal. I've already broken down the penalties in another post above. I'll put the delay of game on Coach. The others? Not so much. You can make the argument that the frosh shouldn't have been out there, but I don't know the situation enough to comment. 4 penalties to open the game is terrible - I'm not making excuses. I'm just not attributing it so some sort of program tailspin either.

As far as the kicks... can anyone break that down? I haven't (and wont) watch film. Is it the kicker? Is the line missing assignments? Is the formation we're using not working? What's the problem? If its the kicker, do we even have another one to insert?
Report Spam   Logged
Ram-Spouse
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #178 on: September 11, 2017, 03:21:19 pm »

In a vacuum 4 penalties to open the game looks brutal. I've already broken down the penalties in another post above. I'll put the delay of game on Coach. The others? Not so much. You can make the argument that the frosh shouldn't have been out there, but I don't know the situation enough to comment. 4 penalties to open the game is terrible - I'm not making excuses. I'm just not attributing it so some sort of program tailspin either.

As far as the kicks... can anyone break that down? I haven't (and wont) watch film. Is it the kicker? Is the line missing assignments? Is the formation we're using not working? What's the problem? If its the kicker, do we even have another one to insert?

and then to add insult to injury we see this article in the New Jersey Herald of all places (I have never heard of it) that walks through a day in the life of AB as a coach.  The article mentions ZERO about Defense or Special Teams. (You would hope that the Head Coach at least acknowledges those two important aspects of the game).  With so much emphasis and "cheat sheets" and "old school" football coaching lingo being used in the article you would think that AB has recreated the revolutionary Wing T offense and opposing defenses are baffled by it.  Instead we look like a second rate lower tier Div. III team that hasn't won a game in 10 years. 

This is why I am "worried" and "concerned".  If people view that as negative then I am sorry.  Please go put your "Rose-Colored" glasses on like 07.
Report Spam   Logged
VTRAM
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #179 on: September 11, 2017, 04:11:01 pm »

Yes we have a kicker to replace him who just happens to be one of the highest rated players we have recruited.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: